Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 27 Lawrence County 23
Reading some of these comments has made me scratch my head.

1. Belfry fumbled. However, it wasn't as if Belfry was just strolling down the field and suddenly dropped the ball. Several fumbles were by the QB because the LC defense NAILED him with a hit forcing a bad pitch. The other fumbles were ALSO BECAUSE OF HITS by the LC defense. So, why are these fumbles being excused as if LC didn't have anything to do with them? Fumbles and turnovers are part of the game, and usually because the defense did its job. Give credit where credit is due. Belfry got hit in the mouth several times and coughed it up.

2. Another excuse flying around is "well LC didn't move the ball except for two deep balls". Umm, what's your point? Should we just not throw the ball deep now? I read somewhere in this thread a Belfry poster saying "LC only had 280 yards of offense, but 150 went on 2 plays". What's your point? Robert Dalton flew past your defense and scored on two 70+ plays. That's PROPER EXECUTION and skill.

3. Now on to the LC posters. Play calling had nothing to do with lack of offense last night. Belfry's front 6-7 are strong and athletic. I felt we ran it enough to keep them honest. I do, however, agree with a couple on here who would have liked to see more underneath routes being ran. I didn't like some of the rollouts, especially at the end on 4th down. But these are high school players and we don't know what play was called. It may not have been what the players did or reacted to on offense.

I guess my point is that we played well. We forced turnovers. I felt LC was the more aggressive and physical team last night. Regardless of the excuses being spewed late last night and this morning, attempting to downplay the way LC played with the "well Belfry is down" and "well we fumbled 7 times" or "if we didn't fumble it would have been a 3-4 TD difference". Guess what? You did fumble. LC wasn't able to take advantage of most of them. And to throw it right back in your faces, if LC would have taken advantage, then LC would have won by 3-4 TD's. Right?
The margin for belfry to get better is great. I'll take my lc glasses off and say we don't have room for mistakes that a great team like befrly does. I'm concerned that we recovered 7 fumbles and lost! We just wasn't good enough and the boys played lights out. What I'm trying to get at, I don't think lc can get much better. I hope I'm wrong! As for belfry in a month they'll be fine. I think coach Cecil is doing good he has closed the gap and is building a solid foundation for years to come.
I know some LC posters are trying to come up with positives for this game but face it you gave Belfry your best shot and still lost. The Dawgs forced 9 fumbles recovering 7 and could not move the football. At one stretch Kiser was 1 for 9 with an int and -2 yards. That's not offensive success, hitting 2 deep passes is great. You've got the big play down but where is the ability to drive? Run? Clock management? If it makes your underwear fit more snugly the yes LC did great forcing Belfry to fumble but all that did was lower the score. If both teams played their best LC losses this by 3 scores. From what I gather LC gave their best and it still didn't matter.

In closing at this point on Oct 10 neither of these teams stand a chance against Bell Co who at this point is looking like the best in the east hair ahead of Corbin and Belfry who are probably about equals
LC played a very good game last night, hats off to them. The had a very good game plan coming in to this one. Nice job by that coaching staff. The downside for LC is that you created 7 turnovers and lost. If you would have told me that Belfry committed 7 turnovers I would've picked LC to win all day!! Bad thing is I'm not sure LC will be able to force 7 turnovers if they play again. But they certainly didn't back down from Belfry last night.

How much better do you have to be to give up the ball 7 times and still win?? Belfry is still Belfry!!
Wasn't this game close last year in the regular season? Then look what happened in the playoffs. Running clock. You people are blowing this way out of proportion. Your team has lost 1 game to the best team in West Virgina and won all the others on an impressive schedule.

Exactly, fumble the ball 9 times and lose it 7? And still win, thank your defense. The offense had a horrible game. Big deal. Shit happens. Even to state title teams. Your team will be fine and will be in Bowling Green in December.
To be fair I don't think LC had their best effort or close to it.

Lots of penalties that kept them behind the chains and negated a few short completions.

Belfry had a D- performance last night and LC had a C performance. Luckily for Belfry that was enough to win.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:I know some LC posters are trying to come up with positives for this game but face it you gave Belfry your best shot and still lost. The Dawgs forced 9 fumbles recovering 7 and could not move the football. At one stretch Kiser was 1 for 9 with an int and -2 yards. That's not offensive success, hitting 2 deep passes is great. You've got the big play down but where is the ability to drive? Run? Clock management? If it makes your underwear fit more snugly the yes LC did great forcing Belfry to fumble but all that did was lower the score. If both teams played their best LC losses this by 3 scores. From what I gather LC gave their best and it still didn't matter.

In closing at this point on Oct 10 neither of these teams stand a chance against Bell Co who at this point is looking like the best in the east hair ahead of Corbin and Belfry who are probably about equals

Of course we are trying to come up with positives from this game. Belfry has ruled this district with an iron fist for several years now and time and time again we have played them and been completely blown out. Many times LC had their seasons ended in embarrassing fashion by Belfry but ya know what? That does not matter because they are gonna keep coming at them. They played them hard Friday night and probably should have won considering the circumstances but Belfry did a great job of overcoming the adversity like defending champions do. LC did their best,made a few mistakes and came up short but to say it didn't matter? It may not matter to Belfry but it does matter to LC. Most LC fans wasn't going to that game to see LC blow Belfry out at their home field, just wanted to see the Dawgs compete with them and get that gap closed a little tighter because we know eventually that power is going to shift and the closer we get the harder we push. May not happen with Haywood there but we will still play Belfry as hard as we can until we can finally knock them off. For those of you that keep throwing up Cabel Midland in Belfry's face.....stop already. That game is old news and has no bearing at all on anything involving Belfry's season or high school football in KY. If you have to reach that far and keep dragging CM into Belfry threads then I must suggest that you find an easier team to troll because it is at the point of being ridiculous.
LC deserved to win but couldn't. Belfry gave them every chance. 7 turnovers against Cabell Midland turned into 7 TD's. 7 Turnovers against LC and only 2 TD's.
On a side note, I was very impressed with the Dalton kids' athleticism.
LC just think what might of happen if you had not played Powell County. Play a better team that runs a very similar offense. Maybe you would have been better able to take advantage of Belfry turnovers. That what I have been saying for the past year as many of LC fans have tried to justify adding Powell County. I think we well see a rematch in a few weeks for a bigger prize.
Ok so Belfrey turned the ball over 7 times each of the last two games sounds like that's a pattern not lc getting lucky
I think this thread is funny. Defending my team, defending their team, bashing my team, questioning their team. Championship pedigree teams find ways to win even on their worst night. LC made some plays, Belfry made some plays, Belfry won. When the playoffs start, if Belfry has 4 games with this same result, you know what happens? They play in their sixth straight state championship game. I am being somewhat facetious, but panic always sets in when the Pirates struggle and struggle is an understatement. This team has a history of responding well after a bad game and I would expect them to again. Belfry has the makings of being a contender, but obviously they have to play better. LC has the makings of getting back to the CAM, if they can find a way to muster a little bit more offense come playoff time. I think Belfry and LC are as good or better than the top two teams in the other district, so a rematch at the CAM is a definite possibility. Dead horses getting beat to death does not make for a good thread. Move on and and get better. A "normal" Belfry season is not even at its halfway point. Belfry can and will improve and they need to no doubt, but many have already shoveled dirt on the Pirates and that is a very dangerous thing to do.
I don't think Belfry fans are jumping ship. I do believe we have become spoiled with the success of Belfry football over the last 12-13 years. I have watched all levels of football for 50+ years, and I know Belfry cannot continue to struggle with turnovers at this time of year and expect to even get to another title game, let alone win another one. As you get deeper into the playoffs you are gonna be facing some very good football teams. And I know football well enough to know if the Pirates continue with the turnover bug......they will be damn lucky to get past the first round of the playoffs. Am I bashing Belfry by saying this......no.....just simply stating the facts as I see them.
Everybody seems focused on the belfry trunovers, remember belfry scored 2 of their touchdowns on lc turnovers deep in our end of the field.
I did think when it was 4th and 2 on belfrys 17 that lc should have went for that one instead of attempting the field goal from the right hashmark, he had just missed one from the right hash, and the goal post lean to the left pretty bad on that end of the field.
Eagle84 Wrote:LC just think what might of happen if you had not played Powell County. Play a better team that runs a very similar offense. Maybe you would have been better able to take advantage of Belfry turnovers. That what I have been saying for the past year as many of LC fans have tried to justify adding Powell County. I think we well see a rematch in a few weeks for a bigger prize.

You need to get over your obsession with lc, belfry is the only team in pike, maggoffin, martin, perry, letcher, floyd, johnson, mingo, wayne, cabell, or any where else that is interested in playing JC. Play your 9 games this year and your 8 or 9 next year, and just stop worrying about who lc plays.
dawg fan Wrote:You need to get over your obsession with lc, belfry is the only team in pike, maggoffin, martin, perry, letcher, floyd, johnson, mingo, wayne, cabell, or any where else that is interested in playing JC. Play your 9 games this year and your 8 or 9 next year, and just stop worrying about who lc plays.

You are correct, and Belfry is the only team who is successful. Do the math.
Armchair QB Wrote:You are correct, and Belfry is the only team who is successful. Do the math.

You are correct Belfry is the one with the state championships and that inculdes JC.
You do the math.
dawg fan Wrote:You are correct Belfry is the one with the state championships and that inculdes JC.
You do the math.

Personally, I hope JC doesnt play several of our local teams again until they change the culture at their schools. There is no benefit in playing schools who are satisfied with mediocrity. I have been around youth sports for a while now and have learned one thing for sure, kids will perform at the level you expect out of them. The better the level of competition the better you become.
By the way I am a LC fan, I have family that played there. There was a time you guys were scared of no one. When and why did that change. I honestly believe you guys have the talent and kids to play at higher level. Your baseball team has that mentality, I hope your football team can get it back.

Good luck to the Dawgs the rest of the way.
dawg fan Wrote:You need to get over your obsession with lc, belfry is the only team in pike, maggoffin, martin, perry, letcher, floyd, johnson, mingo, wayne, cabell, or any where else that is interested in playing JC. Play your 9 games this year and your 8 or 9 next year, and just stop worrying about who lc plays.

I tried to make a point that LC if given the chance could improve by playing a team who is very similar. You could pick another team with similar style as Belfry but JC is close and would make a great game in the future. Just looking at common opponents the game would be respectful loss for LC and a reasonable game for JC. Thus,the only logical for not playing the game given the Water you are drinking in LC is you do not feel your team is good enough. (You must be afraid LC will get hit to hard.)

Dawg, fan you keep up the puckish acting and going to watch LC lose to Belfry. But at the end of the game you will think "if we had play JC would we have won" . Loser :HitWall:
Jc is the largest 4a school according to khsaa LC is middle of the pack 3a school it does not benefit either school to play. As far as the kids are concerned they play who is on the schedule so for what I am assuming are growns up to get on here and say they are scared, or afraid of getting hit, or have no balls is the "punkish" behavior. I watch these kids play every week one thing they are not is scared. The coaches make the schedule that they feel will best prepare their team for the playoffs amoung other things. Its not the coaches on the field doing the hitting, there is not one coach at lc that has a kid on the team, so what do they have to be afraid of. posters like eagle84 really makes you wonder who the kids are and who the grown-ups are?
You're not only an idiot Hoot Gibson but ignorant as well. The belfry-JC score in 2010 was 42-7 but I suppose Matney wouldn't run the score up because of his allegiance. PLEASE, you're delusional.
dawg fan Wrote:Jc is the largest 4a school according to khsaa LC is middle of the pack 3a school it does not benefit either school to play. As far as the kids are concerned they play who is on the schedule so for what I am assuming are growns up to get on here and say they are scared, or afraid of getting hit, or have no balls is the "punkish" behavior. I watch these kids play every week one thing they are not is scared. The coaches make the schedule that they feel will best prepare their team for the playoffs amoung other things. Its not the coaches on the field doing the hitting, there is not one coach at lc that has a kid on the team, so what do they have to be afraid of. posters like eagle84 really makes you wonder who the kids are and who the grown-ups are?

SORRY I FORGOT I WAS POSTING TO "dawg fan" and his limited ability to understand what I was posting.

FIRST, LC is referring to the people in charge not the kids. When is the last time a kid schedule a high school football dawg fan? (never) If you ask the LC players I bet you that would want to play JC.

SECOND; "afraid" also referrers to the people in charge. Kids would want the game. How do you bring up classes when your coach schedule what 2 1A Teams.

LAST; I understand how you must feel trapped in such a situation as LC administration has put you in. However, when LC had a chance to play several good teams on week 3 the administration showed their though and support for the current team by playing POWELL COUNTY.

Keep supporting mediocrity and keep drinking the wanter:hilarious:.
Hey Eagle84, I suppose by the way you talk that top tier talent in Canada JC used to schedule is more superior to the teams LC schedules. Maybe you should take some of your own advice. Hopefully now that you guys have more of a quality schedule you can make it past the 1st round. Although I think Ashland or South Warren will take the choke artist to the wood shed
Coach Matney has burnt the bridge not the kids or administration . I have said this before as long as coach Cecil is head coach I don’t think you will see him schedule JC. The last time these two programs got together I think it was in 07 or 08 it was a pre-season scrimmage it took place in Louisa and there were more fighting then playing that day. I Know that was a long time ago and I’m sure both sides was at fault but I do remember some harsh words between Matney and Goldsmith that day and if I was on the coaching staff I wouldn’t have anything to do with Him either. With that said I’m confident that no one is afraid of each other but some things are just better left alone. I was a fan of Mr. Matney I always liked him when he was at SC I thought he did a great great job with that program as he has with JC. But after that day and the way he conducted himself and let his team conduct there self I lost any respect I had for him as a coach. I’m sure I had my red & black glasses on that day but you would just had to have been there. As for JC I had said for years that they was a sleeping giant in eastern KY with the school that size and centrally located in the county it just took a coach to make them a power house like they are today. I never could see how teams like Paintsville and Lawrence Co was able to beat them for so many years but they did. I think when you see a coaching change on either team you will probably see these two meet up again on the grid iron. Only time will tell and of course all this is just my opinion I’m no longer close to the program as I was back in them days. Heck Joey might schedule them next year and you can say I don’t know what I’m talking about. That will be OK too. I would love to see 1A, 2A, 3A & 4A state tittles be won by Eastern Ky schools this year and I think it can happen this year I’ll be pulling for all the local schools even though I no longer live in the area GOOD LUCK TO ALL . chemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
[quote=Fundamentals]Hey Eagle84, I suppose by the way you talk that top tier talent in Canada JC used to schedule is more superior to the teams LC schedules. Maybe you should take some of your own advice. Hopefully now that you guys have more of a quality schedule you can make it past the 1st round. Although I think Ashland or South Warren will take the choke artist to the wood shed[/QUO

FUNDAMENTALS can you name another team that JC could have gotten to come and play? The answer to that is NO. It is a for sure No with LC.

You may be correct in Ashland or South Warren beating JC but the "choke artist""just a cheap attempt at getting a rise out of people. If you had any understanding of KY High School Football then you would understand that "Highlands" for sure and CC most of the time are difference monsters. Whats LC record against Highlands or CC. O sure it hard to fit them in your schedule with Powell County, Class A Raceland (the way you lost to them) & Class A Fariview.

I have not talked about the"quality of JC schedule other than comparing it to LC. JC needs to add two quality games you got any thoughts on who JC could add on week 0,1&3? Find a team in the area who is willing to play a home and away and post it her. I call them myself to schedule the game.

Being a LC fan I am sure over the past few years by Belfry LC knows what going "wood shed" feel like. Just for your information JC Fans remembers a time JC gotten taken to the "wood shed" by many of the teams Ashland, Belfry, Prestonsburg, and you could name a few more. But one thing you can not say was we would not play them. I think playing JC would help the LC Program and help you when you play Belfry. You do not agree?

:betterthanexpected:
Well I came on here to congratulate you Pirates but I see those pesky JC fans have high jacked the thread with their chest thumping of how great they are yet complain about having to play highlands and CC every year. So, I'll just say good job pirates, way to overcome mistakes and still pull out a win. You guys will get those mistakes fixed im sure. As for the pesky JC fans try to get out of the second round of playoffs this year for a change. You don't get cupcakes all season and playoffs too. Toughen up buttercups.
luke skywalker Wrote:Well I came on here to congratulate you Pirates but I see those pesky JC fans have high jacked the thread with their chest thumping of how great they are yet complain about having to play highlands and CC every year. So, I'll just say good job pirates, way to overcome mistakes and still pull out a win. You guys will get those mistakes fixed im sure. As for the pesky JC fans try to get out of the second round of playoffs this year for a change. You don't get cupcakes all season and playoffs too. Toughen up buttercups.

"High Jacked" OK you drinking the water also. Keep up the good Post. My the force be with you my son. :police:
Fundamentals Wrote:You're not only an idiot Hoot Gibson but ignorant as well. The belfry-JC score in 2010 was 42-7 but I suppose Matney wouldn't run the score up because of his allegiance. PLEASE, you're delusional.
All anybody has to do is look at JC's scores against teams like East Carter and Boyd County this season to know that your idiotic statement about Matney beating teams like Phelps as bad as possible is just that...idiotic. Matney substitutes early and often against out-manned teams - the only exceptions being coaches who have run up the score on his teams. JC could have beaten East Carter by 100 points this season but instead, beat them by about the same margin that Cabell Midland beat Belfry the same weekend.

The 2010 Johnson Central team could have beaten Belfry worse that 42-7 if Matney had not called off the dogs. Belfry beat East Ridge 52-0 the week before losing to JC. Did Haywood run up the score against them? Central pounded the Pirates 46-7 in the state finals that same season. Did Scroggins run up the score?

If Belfry continues to put the ball on the ground 7 times a game, Matney will have to get creative to hold down the score this season too, but I expect that the Pirates will play much better in the final regular season than they have been recently.

If this Belfry team is as weak as the 2010 team was, then the Oct. 30 game will be a short one with a running clock. If that happens, it won't be Matney's fault. But it is a little early to be making excuses for that game, isn't it Fundamentals?
All of you are a bunch of cupcakes arguing who is best Confusednicker:
dawg fan Wrote:Jc is the largest 4a school according to khsaa LC is middle of the pack 3a school it does not benefit either school to play. As far as the kids are concerned they play who is on the schedule so for what I am assuming are growns up to get on here and say they are scared, or afraid of getting hit, or have no balls is the "punkish" behavior. I watch these kids play every week one thing they are not is scared. The coaches make the schedule that they feel will best prepare their team for the playoffs amoung other things. Its not the coaches on the field doing the hitting, there is not one coach at lc that has a kid on the team, so what do they have to be afraid of. posters like eagle84 really makes you wonder who the kids are and who the grown-ups are?

Does your enrollment arguement go across the board or just for teams who have high enrollment and are regularly good and competitive? Because didn't you play Montgomery Co earlier in the year?