Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
18.92%
Belfry
81.08%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Belfry 11/28(State Semi-final)
Belfry's absolutely monstrous line is starting to play a little closer to how they look.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Belfry's absolutely monstrous line is starting to play a little closer to how they look.

Line is the key to this team and holding on to the football. This team has not had a huge fumble problem and you don't want to start now, but if you fumble or have a bunch of penalties those things can derail any team, both Belfry and Russell included.
Football Junky Wrote:Look friend of mine kid played with 3 all stars from Belfry from 8th grade a few years back. All 3 lived in WV... Just stop while your ahead. They even said they were pouring over from WV just to play for Haywood...

I do agree they are a lot of kids from WV attending school and playing sports at Belfry but in all fairness they are not what is considered transfers because most not all but most have been in the Belfry system from kindergarten. TongueirateSho
Football Junky Belfry has 64 kids on this team 42 r freshman and sophmore's and Belfry Middle School has won the 8th grade STATE CHAMPIONSHIP 3 years in a row so Belfry will be loaded and I mean Loaded for the next 2 or 3 years so get used to it....
Let's not forget how hard Arnold hits at LB for Russell. Belfrys DT Horton has good size. I'm sure the WV schools hated to see him cross the bridge to Belfry. I still think it will be a dogfight. No Senior on either team wants it to be their last game.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Let's not forget how hard Arnold hits at LB for Russell. Belfrys DT Horton has good size. I'm sure the WV schools hated to see him cross the bridge to Belfry. I still think it will be a dogfight. No Senior on either team wants it to be their last game.
He's been in Belfry since middle school at least. Good try though.
Some keep throwing the Wv card out there. Well I'm gonna do it too. I'm sure the boys from Ohio have helped you all along the way as well. RUSSELL is about as far away from Ohio as Belfry is from WV.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Let's not forget how hard Arnold hits at LB for Russell.

Should be some good collisions between him and Mr. Hatfield then. He had better be able to stick because no arm tackle or ankle diver will bring him down. Belfry has two good LBs that can bring the wood as well. #33 and Hatfield is a great 1-2 punch if teams are able to the second level.
skully03 Wrote:Some keep throwing the Wv card out there. Well I'm gonna do it too. I'm sure the boys from Ohio have helped you all along the way as well. RUSSELL is about as far away from Ohio as Belfry is from WV.

Might as well throw in Greenup County and Fairview as well.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Belfry's absolutely monstrous line is starting to play a little closer to how they look.
What kind of height and weight are we talking here?
This is one of the whiniest threads ever.
FBALL Wrote:This is one of the whiniest threads ever.
Who's whining?
FBALL Wrote:This is one of the whiniest threads ever.
And it's only Sunday. At least it's not UK/Louisville basketball caliber whiny. Those threads can get embarrassing.
It's not as bad with junky gone.
skully03 Wrote:Some keep throwing the Wv card out there. Well I'm gonna do it too. I'm sure the boys from Ohio have helped you all along the way as well. RUSSELL is about as far away from Ohio as Belfry is from WV.

Not really. Ironton is right across the river from Russell and they keep all of their own in Lawrence County. It's not the same as the symbiotic relationship Belfry has with Mingo County.

Russell and Raceland split up the Greenup County kids.

Not saying there is anything nefarious about it. Belfry is just in good geopolitical position where they are at.
Samiam Wrote:Not really. Ironton is right across the river from Russell and they keep all of their own in Lawrence County. It's not the same as the symbiotic relationship Belfry has with Mingo County.

Russell and Raceland split up the Greenup County kids.

Not saying there is anything nefarious about it. Belfry is just in good geopolitical position where they are at.
In my four years at Russell, I think we only received one transfer that I can recall. In '95 a kid moved to Flatwoods from North Carolina(could be wrong). He played one game in a Russell uniform and rushed for about 150yd's and 3td's. A week later he was enrolled at Ironton because,(and I could be wrong again)Ashland made a phone call. Sad
samson81 Wrote:In my four years at Russell, I think we only received one transfer that I can recall. In '95 a kid moved to Flatwoods from North Carolina(could be wrong). He played one game in a Russell uniform and rushed for about 150yd's and 3td's. A week later he was enrolled at Ironton because,(and I could be wrong again)Ashland made a phone call. Sad

That is true. Anybody in the NEKY area gets a transfer that is any good the Khsaa gets a call from inside Ashland city limits.
samson81 Wrote:What kind of height and weight are we talking here?
These are conservative because on the roster they add an inch and about 10 lbs.
Senior Center Mackie Francis, 5'11'' 300 lbs 3 year starter.
Junior Guard Austin Gibbs, 6'2" 260 lbs 2 year starter.
Senior Guard Drew Mullins 6'3" 270lbs 2 year starter.
Sophomore Tackle Jordan Scott 6'2" 290 lbs first year starter.
Sophomore Tackle Austin Dotson 6'5" 270 lbs first year starter.
Sophomore Tight End Cole Bentley 6'5" 260 lbs 2 year starter
and when BHS goes two tight end...Sophomore tight end Ray Horton
6'0" 260 lbs one year starter on O and 2 years on D.
bucslover68 Wrote:These are conservative because on the roster they add an inch and about 10 lbs.
I know Belfry's accustomed to having size in the trenches but WOW, that's a lot of beef. Russell's defensive front has been pretty stout this year...as a former lineman myself, that's the matchup I would love to see.
samson81 Wrote:I know Belfry's accustomed to having size in the trenches but WOW, that's a lot of beef. Russell's defensive front has been pretty stout this year...as a former lineman myself, that's the matchup I would love to see.

It should be a real good match up no doubt.
bucslover68 Wrote:These are conservative because on the roster they add an inch and about 10 lbs.

Definitely conservative, IMO, I'd give a couple of kids an inch more and maybe one or two 10-15 pounds more. Btw Scott plays guard and Gibbs is a tackle.
samson81 Wrote:I know Belfry's accustomed to having size in the trenches but WOW, that's a lot of beef. Russell's defensive front has been pretty stout this year...as a former lineman myself, that's the matchup I would love to see.

There's a reason that we've all held such high expectations for this squad all year. A ton of experience came back from last years championship squad, a ton of size up front, and one of the filthiest fullbacks you'll see.
samson81 Wrote:In my four years at Russell, I think we only received one transfer that I can recall. In '95 a kid moved to Flatwoods from North Carolina(could be wrong). He played one game in a Russell uniform and rushed for about 150yd's and 3td's. A week later he was enrolled at Ironton because,(and I could be wrong again)Ashland made a phone call. Sad
I think he was too old by khsaa rules(at least that was the reason given) and I think his name was Shawn Wilson. I watched him eat Boyd County alive.He had led his North Carolina team to a state title before he came to Russell.
Belfry0304 Wrote:There's a reason that we've all held such high expectations for this squad all year. A ton of experience came back from last years championship squad, a ton of size up front, and one of the filthiest fullbacks you'll see.
I can't imagine it's too much fun trying to tackle Hatfield. This is going to be a hard hitting game. Russell will be giving up some size, but I expect a lot of fight and tenacity from the Devils.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:I think he was too old by khsaa rules(at least that was the reason given) and I think his name was Shawn Wilson. I watched him eat Boyd County alive.He had led his North Carolina team to a state title before he came to Russell.
You might be right. I just remember Shawn was there one minute, gone the next. When in doubt blame the Tomcats...lol sorry, couldn't help myself. Smile
It does not matter where the hell the kids who play for Belfry or Russell came from on Friday Night. If Russell plays well enough then they will win the ball game if not then Belfry will march on to bowling green. This thread is getting ridiculous too many wieners. Let's get back to talking about an epic semifinal game between two of the most storied programs east of Lexington. This doesn't happen often so let's enjoy what will sure to be a good clean well played ole fashion mountain throw down. I'm pulling for my Devils, my prediction though will come later in the week.
Jeepman Wrote:Checked it out and he is not on the website for yardage. He has scored a lot of TD's and he sounds like a great player. I can see why you guys are proud. Russell had a hard tine with a kid from Ironton who sounds a lot like Hatfield. The kid from Ironton was about 6 ft. and 230.

Someone can correct me, but it seemed like Irontons qb did more damage than their big back. Didn't he have 2 or 3 long td runs. Russells come a long way since that game. Yes they laid an egg at Pikeville, but I don't expect that Friday. Hope im right. On a side not, im looking forward to the trip. Ive been to many games at both venues, always a great time, good fans.
mightydog Wrote:Someone can correct me, but it seemed like Irontons qb did more damage than their big back. Didn't he have 2 or 3 long td runs. Russells come a long way since that game. Yes they laid an egg at Pikeville, but I don't expect that Friday. Hope im right. On a side not, im looking forward to the trip. Ive been to many games at both venues, always a great time, good fans.
Ironton's QB had 6 carries for 58yds and 2td's. The big FB had 9 carries for 61yds and a td. Their fast HB had 14 carries for 97yds and a td.

You're right, Russell's come a long way since then. Hard to make sense of the effort against Pikeville. I don't like that oddball, non district, regular season finale, but they shook it off nicely.
samson81 Wrote:Ironton's QB had 6 carries for 58yds and 2td's. The big FB had 9 carries for 61yds and a td. Their fast HB had 14 carries for 97yds and a td.

You're right, Russell's come a long way since then. Hard to make sense of the effort against Pikeville. I don't like that oddball, non district, regular season finale, but they shook it off nicely.

Maybe he does, but I cant see how Hatfield can run much harder than the Ironton kid.
Belfry-Russell certainly goes back a long time, especially to when the district was decided basically by the 3rd game of the year. By design, only one team made te playoffs per district, and Johnson Central wasn't that strong then. The loser of the Belfry-Russell game effectively was done with post season.
1978 was a big game, Russell winning 7-6 and subsequently the state championship (I think). Belfry won 6-0 in 1979, and eventually made their first state championship game.
One particular game that packed the stadium/fences/rooftops was the 2004 state semifinal game played at Belfry. The last game played at Vipperman Stadium sent Belfry to their second consecutive championship.
Yes, all of that is in the past. But I think older Belfry fans have a great deal of respect for Russell and their history. And the competition when the teams play each other.
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next