Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
18.92%
Belfry
81.08%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Belfry 11/28(State Semi-final)
Question for you Belfry folks. Has Haywood relinquished any control to his staff in recent years, or is he still THE MAN with the final word on everything?
bucslover68 Wrote:Not questioning Mr. Pope's honesty at all, I would just count it as a young kid not playing very well for two years in a row in the 2 of the 3 or 4 biggest games in his school's history. As for number 5, he will go down as one of the best fullbacks to ever wear our school's colors and one of the classiest players to ever play there.
You must not know football very well. Pope single handed kept Bourbon in the game until late in the 4th, year before last at Belfry. He ran all over them. Belfry was stacked that year and Pope was clearly the best player on the field! Last year to come back from surgery on a broken leg with screws and a plate that is a 12 week injury, and to play at 50% only after 7 weeks was remarkable by itself!!! Outside of Belfry, no one will ever hear of hatfield again after this year. You know and I know it. Belfry will win it this year because 3a is very weak this year, but sorry to say they better enjoy it. Next year with lex cath & Boyle returning nearly everyone, don't see it happening.
Football Junky Wrote:You must not know football very well. Pope single handed kept Bourbon in the game until late in the 4th, year before last at Belfry. He ran all over them. Belfry was stacked that year and Pope was clearly the best player on the field! Last year to come back from surgery on a broken leg with screws and a plate that is a 12 week injury, and to play at 50% only after 7 weeks was remarkable by itself!!! Outside of Belfry, no one will ever hear of hatfield again after this year. You know and I know it. Belfry will win it this year because 3a is very weak this year, but sorry to say they better enjoy it. Next year with lex cath & Boyle returning nearly everyone, don't see it happening.
Nah. He don't know football. He has just been to every game that I can remember for the last 10-12 years or so. I'm sure he will tell ya. He is prob more knowledgable about football than most fans on here besides EKU. Especially about highschool football.
Maybe you will see #5 playing fullback on a fall Saturday on NBC playing against the Irish as a fullback for a service Academy, who knows. Just a rumor on pond creek. He's not that good any way. Just hope we can hang in there next Friday, as we are just lucky to be in our 12th state semi game in 13 years.
Football Junky Wrote:You must not know football very well. Pope single handed kept Bourbon in the game until late in the 4th, year before last at Belfry. He ran all over them. Belfry was stacked that year and Pope was clearly the best player on the field! Last year to come back from surgery on a broken leg with screws and a plate that is a 12 week injury, and to play at 50% only after 7 weeks was remarkable by itself!!! Outside of Belfry, no one will ever hear of hatfield again after this year. You know and I know it. Belfry will win it this year because 3a is very weak this year, but sorry to say they better enjoy it. Next year with lex cath & Boyle returning nearly everyone, don't see it happening.
Belfry will only win cause 3A is weak? First he tells one on Hatfield and now that statement? Sounds like butthurt someone call a Dr.
Rinse, repeat. Same story as always jealousy and envy make people sound stupid when they speak to things they clearly have no actual knowledge of.
And here is a couple of stats for you. Pope only had 57 yard rushing year before last. I don't call that running all over us. And last year he only had 11 yards rushing. This is according the website. http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/ri...7382_21914
skully03 Wrote:And here is a couple of stats for you. Pope only had 57 yard rushing year before last. I don't call that running all over us. And last year he only had 11 yards rushing. This is according the website. http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/ri...7382_21914
Ouch. Debunked.
And according to the same website. 2 years ago Mr. Hatfield flat out whipped you guys to the tune of I believe 134 yards from the fullback position. And the last two games this year he has rushed for well over 150 yards each game. That's better than most halfbacks at this level.

So 23-51 passing with 68 total rushing yards and 216 through the air with one TD and 3 Ints in two years and a whopping total of 23 points and 2 losses. Sorry, those stats are terrible. BTW, Belfry is not afraid of any of the 3A so called big boys. We can and will play with any of them and we only lose 7 seniors, 6 of which play. We might not win it every year, but I can tell you for sure we ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Check your stats a lil closer.
Btw, this is a Belfry and Russell thread sorry for getting sidetracked.
skully03 Wrote:Nah. He don't know football. He has just been to every game that I can remember for the last 10-12 years or so. I'm sure he will tell ya. He is prob more knowledgable about football than most fans on here besides EKU. Especially about highschool football.

I've got EKU too,I just don't show it lol:biggrin:
Very tough to beat Belfry at home, about impossible to do it in the playoffs. Austin Hatfield is a beast, Keaton is about as fast as they come, X also presents another wrinkle to defend. I don't think Russell has seen anything this year comparable to what the Pirates will bring to the table Friday night. Belfry by 24.
skully03 Wrote:And here is a couple of stats for you. Pope only had 57 yard rushing year before last. I don't call that running all over us. And last year he only had 11 yards rushing. This is according the website. http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/ri...7382_21914
57 yards on 10 carries including sacks. 5.7 yards a carry?? If you were at the game you saw it. Could of been more with the stripes there. Rushed 11 yards on a broken leg and almost beat the state champs last year...would of loved to seen him healthy. Lost by a score and he could only throw not run that game. But that's football... Injuries suck. Different outcome if he were 100 %. 3 A is down this year. Belfry will destroy Russell as they are not real good. bourbon was really down this year...if you think 3 a is good this year, you are drinking moon shine
Not trying to fan any flames here, I'm just curious. How many kids from outside of Belfreys district transfer in to play ball. I've always heard they get some from wv. If they do get transfers, where else do they come from? Like I said, just currious because I don't care where a kid goes. If its all legit they can play wherever they want.
bucslover68 Wrote:So 23-51 passing with 68 total rushing yards and 216 through the air with one TD and 3 Ints in two years and a whopping total of 23 points and 2 losses. Sorry, those stats are terrible. BTW, Belfry is not afraid of any of the 3A so called big boys. We can and will play with any of them and we only lose 7 seniors, 6 of which play. We might not win it every year, but I can tell you for sure we ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Check your stats a lil closer.
2 of those int were desperation/forces heavs near the end of the games. Nice try... So many Belfry fans came to him last year and complemented Pope, you were not one I am sure. If you went to the games you saw. Don't be hatin on the kid. 200 + yards passing, 68 rushing and 3 TDs in 2 games & one of those on a broken leg against Belfry ain't bad!!
Football Junky Wrote:57 yards on 10 carries including sacks. 5.7 yards a carry?? If you were at the game you saw it. Could of been more with the stripes there. Rushed 11 yards on a broken leg and almost beat the state champs last year...would of loved to seen him healthy. Lost by a score and he could only throw not run that game. But that's football... Injuries suck. Different outcome if he were 100 %. 3 A is down this year. Belfry will destroy Russell as they are not real good. bourbon was really down this year...if you think 3 a is good this year, you are drinking moon shine
And if you think the only reason Belfry wins 3A is because its down then you've already drank all the moonshine. Guess that's why they won it last year. Enjoy your off season..
mightydog Wrote:Not trying to fan any flames here, I'm just curious. How many kids from outside of Belfreys district transfer in to play ball. I've always heard they get some from wv. If they do get transfers, where else do they come from? Like I said, just currious because I don't care where a kid goes. If its all legit they can play wherever they want.
Several... Look at all the WEst Va plates at any home or away game
Football Junky Wrote:57 yards on 10 carries including sacks. 5.7 yards a carry?? If you were at the game you saw it. Could of been more with the stripes there. Rushed 11 yards on a broken leg and almost beat the state champs last year...would of loved to seen him healthy. Lost by a score and he could only throw not run that game. But that's football... Injuries suck. Different outcome if he were 100 %. 3 A is down this year. Belfry will destroy Russell as they are not real good. bourbon was really down this year...if you think 3 a is good this year, you are drinking moon shine

Nobody cares whether it is down or not. It is not Belfry's responsibility to keep the rest of 3A football great. Next year it will indeed be stronger. All we care about is playing on the Friday after Turkey day which we will have done 11 out of 12 years come this Friday.
Demarcus ware Wrote:And if you think the only reason Belfry wins 3A is because its down then you've already drank all the moonshine. Guess that's why they won it last year. Enjoy your off season..
Live it up this year and be glad Pikeville is still 1 A!!! Lex cath is LOADED next year and I mean LOADED!!!
this game may not be as close as you think.i saw both games(vs.pikeville) if the pirates control the offensive line they will be hard to beat.russell will have to keep the pirates offense off the field to have a chance at this one.good luck and pray no injuries
samson81 Wrote:Question for you Belfry folks. Has Haywood relinquished any control to his staff in recent years, or is he still THE MAN with the final word on everything?

Haywood has a lot of the final say, but does a great job of letting his coaches coach their posiitions. The play calls come from up top and go through him for the final clearance.
Football Junky Wrote:Live it up this year and be glad Pikeville is still 1 A!!! Lex cath is LOADED next year and I mean LOADED!!!
Instead of trashing a kid and being so butthurt cause your team can't get it done. Why not talk about what this thread is about. Hater gonna hate. Jealousy runs wild.
Football Junky Wrote:2 of those int were desperation/forces heavs near the end of the games. Nice try... So many Belfry fans came to him last year and complemented Pope, you were not one I am sure. If you went to the games you saw. Don't be hatin on the kid. 200 + yards passing, 68 rushing and 3 TDs in 2 games & one of those on a broken leg against Belfry ain't bad!!

I guess my idea of good stats and yours are different. Bottom line 2 years. 2 losses for your boys. 23 total points with a bend but dont break TD at the end of the game last year. Step up and play a representative schedule and you will indeed get my props. As far as Pope goes, nice player and I said so last year many times, but Belfry has seen many better over the years. Not a knock on Pope, just the truth.
Go on to basketball practice and be a good little boy.
How about a little Belfry and Russell talk. First game I saw these two play was 77 or 78. I remember 78 vividly as the Pirates lost a close one in controversial style 7-6. Russell went on to win the state that year and in 79 it was Belfry 6-0 at Belfry. These two teams need to play IMO no doubt and I believe they will meet up in the playoffs in the next few years.
Judging by your posts...you may want to consider dropping the "football" from your screen name and simply go with "junky". Because with the nonsense I've seen you post on here, you're clearly high on something.
What are Belfry's weaknesses, if any? Can anyone provide some insight into what Russell needs to do to pull this one out? ...and I mean besides the obvious (stop Hatfield, tackle in space, etc.)
05' was a good game between the two up at RUSSELLs place. Close one that came down to the wire. Great atmosphere too.
samson81 Wrote:What are Belfry's weaknesses, if any? Can anyone provide some insight into what Russell needs to do to pull this one out? ...and I mean besides the obvious (stop Hatfield, tackle in space, etc.)

Belfry doesn't have a weakness that you can continually key on to be successful. A breakdown here or there but nothing that can give an outright edge. Russell needs to be disciplined and tackle.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next