Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain fan bases stick together
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Mountain Pride is holler wide!

You hill folks crack me up!

They have been sticking together over there ever since the hatfields started whooping the mccoys for siding with the yanks.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Cause I've not posted my "I Voted" sticker yet... but I'm going to when I get off work.

I've got a Write-In campaign going for you....

VOTE GRANNY BEAR FOR CONSTABLE OF HARLAN COUNTY!!!!!

What are you trying to do, get me shot???

Hush up, get up, get out and vote!!!!!
killbilly usmc Wrote:They have been sticking together over there ever since the hatfields started whooping the mccoys for siding with the yanks.

That was only a ruse to get the Yankees to within shooting distance!
Confusednicker:
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Mountain Pride is holler wide!

You hill folks crack me up!

I would rather be from a place where "Mountain Pride is Holler Wide" than live in Graves County....

That sounds like a place where The Undertaker would be from.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
I would love to know the definition of "hill folk"!!
Granny Bear Wrote:I would love to know the definition of "hill folk"!!

Over here it means yankees from eastern ky:biglmao:
killbilly usmc Wrote:Over here it means yankees from eastern ky:biglmao:
Ain't no dad burn yanks FROM EKY. Might be some here, but they them lib ivory tower teachers up on the hill at UPike, if you'n ask me. WKY is just a mite too close to Obama country for my taste, y'all keep you and your'n ovuh on dat, side, y'hear? Lol
killbilly usmc Wrote:Over here it means yankees from eastern ky:biglmao:

Why would a Hoosier from the flat land call an East Kentuckian a Yankee Smile
pjdoug Wrote:Why would a Hoosier from the flat land call an East Kentuckian a Yankee Smile

Read about the Jackson purchase in the civil war sometime, and you will understand why. It was also referred to as the south Carolina of kentucky. The Jackson purchase was the first congressional district at that time, and there was 10 districts. It was the only district that voted in favor of secession from the union. All 7 counties at that time now 8(Carlisle county was a formed from ballard and Hickman later on) sent far more troops to the confederacy, than the union. The rest of Kentucky sent more troops to the union than the confederacy with the exception of 7 other counties, none of which are in eastern Kentucky. Is that a good enough explanation of why a flat lander from the swamps of western Kentucky would call someone from eastern Kentucky a yank.
killbilly usmc Wrote:They have been sticking together over there ever since the hatfields started whooping the mccoys for siding with the yanks.

Actually, I believe that started over a stolen pig.
baseball1974 Wrote:Actually, I believe that started over a stolen pig.

The pig came after that 1 McCoy that taught for the north was killed, but yes the pig incident reesculated the feud.

A few McCoy's fought for the north, but the majority fought for the South. You bound to have the Hollywood version.
Big Five-0- Wrote:A few McCoy's fought for the north, but the majority fought for the South. You bound to have the Hollywood version.

Never said they all faught for the north, the majority of that family may have faught for the south, but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of pike county, and the majority of eastern Kentucky did fight for the north.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Never said they all faught for the north, the majority of that family may have faught for the south, but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of pike county, and the majority of eastern Kentucky did fight for the north.

May be true, but being a southerner south of the Mason/Dixon is good enough for me to be considered from the South.
Big Five-0- Wrote:[/B]

May be true, but being a southerner south of the Mason/Dixon is good enough for me to be considered from the South.
I knew I'd get y'all out of the wood works. I wonder how many cannons, and flintlocks are pointed to the west from eastern Kentucky now. I'm glad mayfield doesn't, play Harlan county in the playoffs cause if granny bear seen me I might really not leave Harlan alive.:biglmao:
killbilly usmc Wrote:I knew I'd get y'all out of the wood works. I wonder how many cannons, and flintlocks are pointed to the west from eastern Kentucky now. I'm glad mayfield doesn't, play Harlan county in the playoffs cause if granny bear seen me I might really not leave Harlan alive.:biglmao:

Like they always say....you'll never leave Harlan Co. alive.TongueirateSho
Following Morgan's capture in the summer of 1863, there were no major engagements fought in Kentucky until spring of 1864. Portions of three infantry regiments from Bragg's army had requested to reorganize as a mounted infantry under Abraham Buford, but the Confederacy had no horses to supply them. In response, Nathan Bedford Forrest, who had been operating in Mississippi, began to organize a raid on western Tennessee and Kentucky. Besides obtaining mounts for the mounted-infantry-to-be, Forrest intended to disrupt Union supply lines, obtain general provisions for Confederate forces, and discourage enlistment of blacks in Kentucky into the Union army.

On March 25, 1864, Forrest commenced his attack. He met Colonel Stephen G. Hicks at Fort Anderson and demanded an unconditional surrender. Knowing that Forrest's main objectives were to obtain supplies and horses, Hicks declined. For the most part, Hicks was right in his assumption that Forrest would not assault the fort, but Confederate colonel Albert P. Thompson, a native of the area, did briefly attempt to capture it before being killed with 24 men from his unit. Forrest held the city for ten hours, destroying the Union headquarters, as well as the buildings housing the quartermaster and commissary. Forrest also captured a total of 200 horses and mules before withdrawing to Mayfield. Following the raid, Forrest granted furlough to the Kentuckians under his command so they could secure better clothing and mounts. As agreed, every man reported back to Trenton, Tennessee on April 4.

Unionist newspapers bragged after the raid that Union forces had hidden the best horses in the area and that Forrest had only captured horses stolen from private citizens. Furious, Forrest ordered Buford back into Kentucky. Buford's men arrived on April 14, forced Hicks back into the fort, and captured an additional 140 horses in the foundry, exactly where the newspaper reports had placed them. They then rejoined Forrest in Tennessee. The raid was not only successful in terms of gaining additional mounts, but provided a diversion for Forrest's attack on Fort Pillow, Tennessee.

This is quoted from Wikipedia...funny I never really thought about the split in Kentucky. Sounds like there were Union and Confederate forces all over the state trying to jockey for control and position.

I'm not sure how I would categorize Harlan County, to be honest. I've always thought of east of I-75 and south of I-64 were hillbillies. They are of themselves, a group that is unique.
killbilly usmc Wrote:I knew I'd get y'all out of the wood works. I wonder how many cannons, and flintlocks are pointed to the west from eastern Kentucky now. I'm glad mayfield doesn't, play Harlan county in the playoffs cause if granny bear seen me I might really not leave Harlan alive.:biglmao:

Why would you say that??
Granny Bear Wrote:Following Morgan's capture in the summer of 1863, there were no major engagements fought in Kentucky until spring of 1864. Portions of three infantry regiments from Bragg's army had requested to reorganize as a mounted infantry under Abraham Buford, but the Confederacy had no horses to supply them. In response, Nathan Bedford Forrest, who had been operating in Mississippi, began to organize a raid on western Tennessee and Kentucky. Besides obtaining mounts for the mounted-infantry-to-be, Forrest intended to disrupt Union supply lines, obtain general provisions for Confederate forces, and discourage enlistment of blacks in Kentucky into the Union army.

On March 25, 1864, Forrest commenced his attack. He met Colonel Stephen G. Hicks at Fort Anderson and demanded an unconditional surrender. Knowing that Forrest's main objectives were to obtain supplies and horses, Hicks declined. For the most part, Hicks was right in his assumption that Forrest would not assault the fort, but Confederate colonel Albert P. Thompson, a native of the area, did briefly attempt to capture it before being killed with 24 men from his unit. Forrest held the city for ten hours, destroying the Union headquarters, as well as the buildings housing the quartermaster and commissary. Forrest also captured a total of 200 horses and mules before withdrawing to Mayfield. Following the raid, Forrest granted furlough to the Kentuckians under his command so they could secure better clothing and mounts. As agreed, every man reported back to Trenton, Tennessee on April 4.

Unionist newspapers bragged after the raid that Union forces had hidden the best horses in the area and that Forrest had only captured horses stolen from private citizens. Furious, Forrest ordered Buford back into Kentucky. Buford's men arrived on April 14, forced Hicks back into the fort, and captured an additional 140 horses in the foundry, exactly where the newspaper reports had placed them. They then rejoined Forrest in Tennessee. The raid was not only successful in terms of gaining additional mounts, but provided a diversion for Forrest's attack on Fort Pillow, Tennessee.

This is quoted from Wikipedia...funny I never really thought about the split in Kentucky. Sounds like there were Union and Confederate forces all over the state trying to jockey for control and position.

I'm not sure how I would categorize Harlan County, to be honest. I've always thought of east of I-75 and south of I-64 were hillbillies. They are of themselves, a group that is unique.

Got to be SOUTHERN hillbillies Granny.:Thumbs:
The union occupied this part of the state for most of the war. The confederates took Columbus, and the union moved in and took control of the paducah. Eventually the union run the confederates out of Columbus, and from what ive read it was hard living, living in an area under union control when that area was supporters of the south. The men in this area faught at Shiloh, and a lot of them were in Forrest raids of this area. The Jackson purchase actually tried to form a state with west ten, and join the confederacy, but when the whole state of ten secceded it ended that. There was a man in charge of this area that was union, and he treated the people like dogs. Last name something like Payne. He would take from the people that had husbandsl off fighting in the confederacy, and give it to the few families in the area that supported the union. If you supported the confederacy you was not allowed to go vote.
killbilly usmc Wrote:The pig came after that 1 McCoy that taught for the north was killed, but yes the pig incident reesculated the feud.

The origins of the feud are obscure. The major fighting between these two didnt start until close to 18 years after the civil war ended. Some attribute it to hostilities formed during the Civil War, in which the McCoys were Unionists and the Hatfields were Confederates, others to Rand’l McCoy’s belief that a Hatfield stole one of his hogs. However, although animosities had built up and occasional fights had broken out, the first major bloodletting did not occur until 18 years after the war was over when Ellison Hatfield was mortally shot in a brawl with McCoys and, in revenge, the Hatfields kidnapped and executed three McCoy brothers.
what in gods name kind of thread has this turned into? hahaha
i dont think there is any disputing that we have some true mountain folk on this site!
killbilly usmc Wrote:The union occupied this part of the state for most of the war. The confederates took Columbus, and the union moved in and took control of the paducah. Eventually the union run the confederates out of Columbus, and from what ive read it was hard living, living in an area under union control when that area was supporters of the south. The men in this area faught at Shiloh, and a lot of them were in Forrest raids of this area. The Jackson purchase actually tried to form a state with west ten, and join the confederacy, but when the whole state of ten secceded it ended that. There was a man in charge of this area that was union, and he treated the people like dogs. Last name something like Payne. He would take from the people that had husbandsl off fighting in the confederacy, and give it to the few families in the area that supported the union. If you supported the confederacy you was not allowed to go vote.

And they called Southerners bigots. Sounds like this fellow was not only a bigot, but a tyrant as well. Now back to football scotty.:biggrin:
This whole thread has never been about football. All y'all have done is talk about consolidation, and how poor eastern Kentucky is and how y'all need to stick together. Most worthless thread ever started. I'm glad I could ruffle yalls feathers by calling y'all Yankees.
killbilly usmc Wrote:The pig came after that 1 McCoy that taught for the north was killed, but yes the pig incident reesculated the feud.

I have Hatfield blood and probably McCoy too and I would kill a pig :biggrin:
killbilly usmc Wrote:This whole thread has never been about football. All y'all have done is talk about consolidation, and how poor eastern Kentucky is and how y'all need to stick together. Most worthless thread ever started. I'm glad I could ruffle yalls feathers by calling y'all Yankees.

craw back under your "ant" hill Yankee Smile
I am totally lost???!!! Where am I? The Twilight Zone again????!!!! LOL
:insane:
Take about yourself. I am not for all the mountain team. Like last year when Williamsburg play Mayfield. I was pulling for Mayfield. I was for Mayfield the last two years.I was for LCA( there coach use to coach at Hazard), and the two year they play Hazard.
I do pull for some of the mountains teams, but not all of them.
Ole Forrest himself was from W TN not far from Mayfield.

Now as for this thread with you all Yanks, I want to personally tell each and every one of u yeller bellies that u are welcome to sign on with the Cardinal band wagon as it tries to finish its final march through 1A much as that darn Yank Sherman marched to the Sea