Poll: Renewal of the Rivalry...who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
BELFRY
76.81%
Pikeville
23.19%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Pikeville 9/19
Belfry 35
Pikeville 14

Williamsburg is watching pikeville. :popcorn:
This is a complete role reversal. Pikeville was "The Team" in Pike County in the late 1980's and really haven't been the same since Belfry stopped their 33 game winning streak in 1989. This was the best rivalry in the State IMO and the fan bases hated each other. I think Pikeville did win their last title that year(89) and Belfry was on their way to the State Finals if Highlands hadn't gotten in the way. The rivalry died however in the 90's when Hillard Howard left town. I would like to see a "Local" rival again.
As far as this game goes, Belfry and Pikeville are on two different levels for the time being. Pikeville has the program headed in the right direction and I hope they continue to build on that. But, just too much Pirates...

Belfry -42
Pikeville -14
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KyRock Wrote:Or at least in WV! Confusednicker:

Congrats on your originality :biggrin:

:haters:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It would be hard to pick against belfry in this game. But pikeville does have some very good size on the line that fire off the ball well. I think pikeville has te athletes to compete as well as the depth they will need but they will not be able to stop belfry on the full back run.
The Thunder rolls...and the thunder resides in Pond Creek...BHS 49-14.
IntheZone Wrote:It would be hard to pick against belfry in this game. But pikeville does have some very good size on the line that fire off the ball well. I think pikeville has te athletes to compete as well as the depth they will need but they will not be able to stop belfry on the full back run.

I remember when I thought we had good sized lines, then I saw this years Lol
Heard a few people mention the play of our d line, Horton and Bentley, let's not forget the ends that are keeping the speed from hitting the sidelines and going the distance. Dotson and Hall both had great games. The one that really showed me a lot last night was Whitt, the big nose guard fights double teams all night pilling up the middle and keeping any team from being able to run up the gut. That leaves Stanley and Sanger to clean up the piles and they are doing a great job of it. The host of d backs played well also. Love the attitudes of making plays on the ball this year.
IntheZone Wrote:It would be hard to pick against belfry in this game. But pikeville does have some very good size on the line that fire off the ball well. I think pikeville has te athletes to compete as well as the depth they will need but they will not be able to stop belfry on the full back run.

Size is relative...Belfry would be small compared to Bama... Pikeville is small compared to Belfry...The O line will be one of the big differences in this game. Belfry will line up and challenge Pikeville to stop them.
proud44pirate Wrote:Heard a few people mention the play of our d line, Horton and Bentley, let's not forget the ends that are keeping the speed from hitting the sidelines and going the distance. Dotson and Hall both had great games. The one that really showed me a lot last night was Whitt, the big nose guard fights double teams all night pilling up the middle and keeping any team from being able to run up the gut. That leaves Stanley and Sanger to clean up the piles and they are doing a great job of it. The host of d backs played well also. Love the attitudes of making plays on the ball this year.
Yep. Like I said earlier in a post. The D lines names were called on the radio all night long. Horton, Whitt and Bentley are a force that most offenses will not be able to over come. They plug up the line and force runners to the outside and then Belfry shows their speed as the pursuit catches up to the play. If I am not mistaken the starting D has allowed only 3 scores and one of those drives started on the Belfry 2 yd line.
Pikeville needs a win in order to keep calling this a rivalry because Belfry has owned them for several years now. These two teams rule Pike County and are always at the top of their classes due to transfers so neither can point fingers. Heck Pikeville would not have a team without them. But they are both built on tradition so that helps bring them in. Pikeville is loaded and they will make a big playoff run. Belfry is Belfry and may win it all......again! Pikeville will hang around for a while but I think the depth for Belfry will take its toll. Belfry 48 Pikeville 21 By the way both have class act coaches.
I'm looking forward to this game. Pikeville's offense has been excellent thus far this year and it'll be interesting to see how effective they can be against a D as stout as Belfry's.. I think Belfry's OL will give the Panthers alot of problems and ultimately be the difference.. For the Panthers to realistically have a shot to win, they'll have to cause a few turnovers and get a few stops. If the Pirates take care of the ball, I see them taking this game in the 54-31 range. While that looks like a blowout, it also gives the Panthers offense alot of credit. I do think its good enough to score several points. The problem is, I don't see Belfry being careless with the ball and giving them alot of short fields to work with and I see them coming away with points on the majority of there possessions..
As long as Belfrys D keeps playing the way they are, there is No way they give up 31 points.
Belfry 42-7 and that 7 may not be on the starters..
A lot like Harlan Co 42-6 varsity, 42-18 final after some scores on the JV
Surprising support for Pikeville in the poll, 20-7 BHS. I wonder if those 7 think PHS can actually win or is it an anti-Belfry vote. PHS has a real nice team,and I think it comes down to them or Wburg to go to BG, but realistically it would be a monumental upset if they were to win this game. At least we got pjdoug on the Belfry train for this game.
a lot of talk about Pikeville being able to compete this year...Belfry will put up as many points as Coach Haywood wants...and you can take that to the bank...
Guys...

If the Panthers don't lose their collective heads before the opening kickoff and avoids turning it over, Belfry's starters WILL get 4 full quarters of work. That's the only prediction I'll make.

And if you're a Belfry fan, you may want EXACTLY that. The Pirates may not play another team with the -potential- to play with them until deep into the 3A tourney. It would benefit them to play a competitive game before it finds itself in one when it MATTERS...

:popcorn:
oneijoe Wrote:Guys...

If the Panthers don't lose their collective heads before the opening kickoff and avoids turning it over, Belfry's starters WILL get 4 full quarters of work. That's the only prediction I'll make.

And if you're a Belfry fan, you may want EXACTLY that. The Pirates may not play another team with the -potential- to play with them until deep into the 3A tourney. It would benefit them to play a competitive game before it finds itself in one when it MATTERS...

:popcorn:

You forgetting Belfry still has CAK and Johnson Central on the schedule?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You forgetting Belfry still has CAK and Johnson Central on the schedule?

Exactly. SC the next week is a blowout game and I am not sure some of the others match up too good with the Pirates. CAK started off like gangbusters, but they have lost the last two, but to two good teams in Knoxville Catholic and Knoxville Webb.
This is the year Belfry AT THE LEAST gets a scare. Still like Belfry but closer than many think.

Belfry 42
Pikeville 28
Belfry - 38

Pikeville - 21
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves there.

I am fairly certain Austin Hatfield is a cyborg at the very least.

Hatfield is a great player....But....No...
Gonna take Pikeville this year. 32-28
Come on guys do you all even watch game film..Every year, is the year Pikeville beats Belfry or comes closer..Pikeville would have gotten absolutely crushed by Henry Clay, Harlan County,and Southwestern..Pikeville just don't have the speed to get around the corner,or the line to hold our defensive front..And don't have the Defense to Stop us..But I will give it to your fans,and players confidence will not be an issue..Our Boys will never take Pikeville Lightly..because they wanna beat em bad..And to the Gentleman that said this will be Belfry s last test..Knoxville has a very good football team,and so does Lawrence County..and you can never leave out Johnson Central..
Belfry don't play cupcakes except the district games that the state makes us play. Yes Pikeville will play close until the first couple of series then all Pirates. The score could be worse but Belfry has class. Even the middle school 7th grade team showed it yesterday taking a knee at the 1 yard line against Matewan.
KyRock Wrote:Or at least in WV! Confusednicker:

Confusednicker:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You forgetting Belfry still has CAK and Johnson Central on the schedule?

Don't know anything about CAK, but did forget about the Johnson Central matchup. :insane:

But the main point I wanted to get across was...Pikeville has the potential to make the Pirates play a full game.
oneijoe Wrote:Don't know anything about CAK, but did forget about the Johnson Central matchup. :insane:

But the main point I wanted to get across was...Pikeville has the potential to make the Pirates play a full game.
No they don't, to small up front, and not tuff enough nor have anyone that can flat out out run anyone we got..They haven't played anyone who can play with us....Pikeville plays us just so they get to see what they need to fix...
Pirate1991, if your pirates come to pikeville with that attitude they might get beat. Now i know belfry is good but if they come in with a bad attitude and get shell shocked it might be to late to realize you need to play hard to win. Just saying.
Just like I said about the SW game......Belfry all day and night. ...Going to be a rough long night for Pikeville...
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next