•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 2014
I agree totally, but the very thought of removing McGlones before he or some others want him gone is akin to blasphemy. I don't get the staying until you want to leave group. Don't they realize some people never know when to shut it down. We see this in sports all the time. I hate seeing people hang on and tarnished their whole career. People have very short memories, I'm afraid they'll remember the slide backwards Russell has had here near the end of McGlones career and not remember all the good years, especially if he dosent have a good run in the next 2-4 years if he stays that long. All good things come to an end, they always run their cycle. I just dont want to see this program continue to spiral downward where it will take years to build back up.
reddevildad Wrote:Sammy and Mitch are to lazy to go workout. They have a workout at Fat Patty's.

Please read slowly & repeatedly:
Just a little "info" for all you grown men out there taking jabs at Sammy Smith. He played injured his freshman yr., with a torn labrum (front & back) in his right shoulder. Tore it halfway through the season & still did pretty decent, in my opinion. Not sure if you all noticed or not, he played freshman, jv & varsity that year. Not just stood on the sidelines, he actually played. Usually went straight from practice to a game.(3 games a week) Didn't play as much vars. but did play the Ironton, Ashland & Greenup & Boyd games. He also got the defensive mvp in the kawanis bowl. I'm sure to a lot of dismay, but he was injured! Pretty sure that contributed to the injury. He had surgery on that shoulder after the season ended (Dec. '12) and had to rehab it for 6 mos. Didn't even get released until June '13. Then this season he tore the other labrum & instead of continuing to play injured again, had surgery on his left shoulder in Oct. Another 6 mos. recovery. Will not be released until April '14. As far as weight lifting goes, he can't do upper body yet, which is what he needs. He didn't miss but maybe a few times during conditioning this past season and those were for doctor appts. It's really sad & surprising to me that someone who actually knows Sammy would talk trash about him. My parents always told me that if you don't have anything nice to say then you shouldn't say anything!! Also, he hasn't been to fat patty's for awhile now. ha Can't say the same for bdubs, though Wink We're pretty used to all the remarks about his size, he's had to deal with that his whole life but one day you'll be judged and it won't be by anyone here on earth! Sincerely, Cheri Smith, yes, I'm Sammy's MOM Smile
Devil68 Wrote:Please read slowly & repeatedly:
Just a little "info" for all you grown men out there taking jabs at Sammy Smith. He played injured his freshman yr., with a torn labrum (front & back) in his right shoulder. Tore it halfway through the season & still did pretty decent, in my opinion. Not sure if you all noticed or not, he played freshman, jv & varsity that year. Not just stood on the sidelines, he actually played. Usually went straight from practice to a game.(3 games a week) Didn't play as much vars. but did play the Ironton, Ashland & Greenup & Boyd games. He also got the defensive mvp in the kawanis bowl. I'm sure to a lot of dismay, but he was injured! Pretty sure that contributed to the injury. He had surgery on that shoulder after the season ended (Dec. '12) and had to rehab it for 6 mos. Didn't even get released until June '13. Then this season he tore the other labrum & instead of continuing to play injured again, had surgery on his left shoulder in Oct. Another 6 mos. recovery. Will not be released until April '14. As far as weight lifting goes, he can't do upper body yet, which is what he needs. He didn't miss but maybe a few times during conditioning this past season and those were for doctor appts. It's really sad & surprising to me that someone who actually knows Sammy would talk trash about him. My parents always told me that if you don't have anything nice to say then you shouldn't say anything!! Also, he hasn't been to fat patty's for awhile now. ha Can't say the same for bdubs, though Wink We're pretty used to all the remarks about his size, he's had to deal with that his whole life but one day you'll be judged and it won't be by anyone here on earth! Sincerely, Cheri Smith, yes, I'm Sammy's MOM Smile
Well reddevildad you got Mommy fired up! All I can say is stay anonymous, if she finds out who you are she will be on you like stink of poop LOL. As for Sammy it really upset him about her reply. He will use that comment as a motivator, and for me, I feel the same as Sammy. You did go a little too far about the Fat Patty comment. For you to call him lazy would have been enough. And I'm sure you would agree if someone went a little too far on a comment about your son like that. But anyway I'm excited about next season. We are loaded with talent. I think the kids also realize it. I think this team could be as good as some of the teams we had in the mid 90's. As long as they stay focused and work out like they should, we could go pretty far in the post season. GO DEVILS!
The problem I have seen is starting just because your a senior. I say throw the grades out the window. Line them up and whoever earns the spot so be it. That's it in a nutshell.
Russell needs a mandatory weight program. Russell never had a weight program of course the kids that want to work out to get better will do so.the players do not need parents in the weight room working out with them that's the dumbest thing I have been told that's when the coaches should step in they should have close practices like they had in the past and put the best players on the field it should not matter what the kids name is and don't let the parents run the show there were a couple of kids should have started it showed on the field when they got a chance .
Don't let them get under your skin Devil68. Sammy is a beast and in football terms a franchise player for Russell. He at anytime can be pretty much 50% of our line. I think most like yourself want to keep him healthy because a good bit of Russell's success is gonna be put on his shoulders whether he likes it or not. Not condoning what reddevildad said though. I think he's just mad at the world. Lol
So Russell still has no idea who will be their head coach in 14'?? They are hurting themselves by waiting to make a move.
GoHerd_22 Wrote:So Russell still has no idea who will be their head coach in 14'?? They are hurting themselves by waiting to make a move.

Regardless of the situation, nothing would happen until after the banquet in terms of anything changing.
Do they usually wait this long to have their banquet? If not I think they're giving themselves time to find a new coach to announce at the banquet and McGlones retirement. Just my opinion.
mightydog Wrote:Do they usually wait this long to have their banquet? If not I think they're giving themselves time to find a new coach to announce at the banquet and McGlones retirement. Just my opinion.

That's usually when they have their banquet, the second week of January.
Ok, thanks. I had no clue, all just speculation. I do look for some type of announcement at it though.
The bottom line is, nobody knows.. The Russell faithful don't even know what is going to happen with their head coach.
^^hate to see it. Hate it when the later years of a Coaches or players career tarnished by the last few years of their career. Hope that when lever it happens, it's handled with respect and dignity, which I will be shocked if it's not. Russell is always a class act. Give Ivan his dues and imo, let him get out on his terms(even if to an extent), McGlone IS Russell football. They will be successful w/o him, but he's got 2 rings(in two seperate classes), another apperance(3 pts away from a 3rd ring), it kills me to see all of it going on the way it seems that it is.
I think coach comes back next year. Just my opinion.
From everyone that has heard its not his decision, its been made for him. Just hearsay though.
^^^which is a bunch of crap. The man tried to bow out twoce and they got him to stick around. Now word is they r trying to get him out. Doesnt make sense to me.
Hearing that Ivan is out for sure.. Gotta believe they will go after Maynard from Raceland
NEKY football is extremely shaken up rt now. With all the traditional strong teams having alot of toss ups. Fairview has no super, ad, principle, or hc. Raceland is more than likely getting concerned about what maynard may do if his Alma Mater actually persues him, I think he will stay at Raceland though. Then Belcher transfers from JC to Paintsville. Goina be interesting to see who falls where in the fall.
it does not matter who coaches Russell if they continue to let the parents come around the field house and pratices and put kids on the field that shouldn't be there and the better ball players standing on the sidelines which has been going on for awhile it was really obvious last year it seems to me that Russell is not worried about winning or building a program but more worried about keeping the parents that come around which is plenty happy if I had kid that was not good enough to be on the field I would not want them out there seems like as long as there out there they are happy even they have not earned it win or lose this program is not even close to teams in the past if it was not for a weak district Russell would be lucky to make the playoffs its not the kids fault that they don't put the best on the field anymore iam sure the players would love it if they would and maybe have a chance to make a run deep in the playoffs like use to be and the Russell tradition back to winning and teams hated to see them on the schedule Russell has a lot of talent so if Russell does get a new coach they have kids to work with they have good size on the line decent speed and good skill players with good speed and if they don't get a new coach put the best kids on the field and kick the parents out of the field house and pratices and get back to winning the Russell way and build the tradition back something the players and community is proud Russell tradition
GoHerd_22 Wrote:Hearing that Ivan is out for sure.. Gotta believe they will go after Maynard from Raceland

I'll believe it when I see it
From what kids at the gym had told me no parents are at the practices and the few that were. Their kids never started except for maybe 1. Either you've been misinformed or the 3 players in the gym I talked to must have been wrong. Lol
if you have a kid playing or not drive by after practice one day and see for yourself I myself don't have a dog in the fight but I do a lot of walking and they are over there I work with a lot of people that has kids on the team they talk about it all the time especially how the politics are and I started to watch a little bit closer and I believe they might be on to something the one thing they told me one of the strongest kids on the team should have been starting both ways and after watching the games this year they were right cause when he was in he did not get blowed off the football liked the other five and I don't know how a coach could not see that or didn't want to see it cause of the politics the people I work with say his dad play for coach mcglone and they said if he wanted to he could hang out at pratices but thy said he never comes around except for Friday nights like it should be I am sure they are allot of parents like that but you've a few that try to live thru there kids I am just going on what the people at work talk about and so far there dead on I have been around this community for a long time and I have watched Russell sports for a long time and I hope they get there program fixed not just football but all of them
Any sports banquet info? Has Ivan announced his retirement.
Ivan said at the banquet he is looking forward to next year and he is excited about all the young talent he has returning. He said that if all the kids returning work out like they should in the off season he expects to have a great team next year. He will be the coach in 2014.
I don't wanna jinx anything but they should be a hard ball club to beat next year. Wish it was next season already.
what kind of team are we going to have are we going to be strong up front and I know we are returning the backfield except for one and I think two starting lineman has the team started working out yet
Devil68 Wrote:Ivan said at the banquet he is looking forward to next year and he is excited about all the young talent he has returning. He said that if all the kids returning work out like they should in the off season he expects to have a great team next year. He will be the coach in 2014.

Well now that that issue seems to be settled, what about Smith. I've talked with a lot of people, fans, players, parents of players and not many want him back. I believe the players don't want to play under him.
They should be working out unless playing basketball. I think they are having weights. I know I see a few at the YMCA working out. You are right and wrong about your previous statement though. I asked a couple kids if a lot of parents watch or come to practices. They said maybe 5 or 6. None of their kids start with the exception of 2. One said his dad comes occasionally but it's because he doesn't drive lol. So that info is false. But if the kid in question that you think should have received more playing time was T.H. then I agree. IMO he should have been starting so that part is true. Lol
Personally, I wouldnt mind having a few open practices a week, but u'd have to be careful.(walk through's, light equipment scrimmage on thursdays), something to gear up for the game on friday. Could be a positive thing for the program as a whole. But to have spectators at each practice is hard on a coach. Once or twice a week isnt a problem. Get enough guys around log enough and "little johnny's being excluded or Little Timmy is playing out of position" becomes a problem. So i see how it could be both a positive and a negative.
Ivan is out; will resign tomorrow. Seems like the higher ups at Russell have done a good job keeping the fans out of the loop. McGlone era is about to be over.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next