Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
What are the expectations in Russell and Flatwoods for next season? I for one expect McGlone to have a nice year with some nice returning skill and some very nice So. To be skill guys.
There has been a little more talk floating around of McGlone finally hanging it up. Idk if that will be the case though or not. I will be lookig foward to see what happens. Imo though, If McGlone steps down and they bring someone from outside the staff in, or whoever takes over has a differet philosophy it will be a complete waste of the tallent Russell has right now. Russell players start running their offensive system from the time they're in 3rd grade. If they want to get back to winning in the playoffs, something is going to have to give sooner or later.

It takes 3-5 years to get a new offensive system going. It took Raceland from 2000-2003 to get things going when they went from the Wishbone/Pro set offense to the Franklin System. They didnt install the ACE Package in the jr high until 2003. Once that happened things started coming together for Raceland. Russell needs to either ride or die wit McGlone, or they need to bring in someone else with a new plan and get the new system off of the ground. Whatever that sytem may be.

I would just hate to see Russell not be able to utilize the tallent thy have sumply bc the players would have to be thinking of a new offensive system instead of reacting in their old one. But, there has tobe a transition stage at some point.
I respect your opinion but it's incorrect. They don't start running the highschool offense in third grade. In fact most of them never see it until their freshman year. That changed some this year with all of our middle school teams running some form of it.

The talent is there for the next several years and I think they will be very solid. The offensive system, like it or not, has not been the reason for failure to live up to the lofty standards most Russell fans were used to . It was lack of speed and playmakers particularly on defense. That won't be the case for the foreseeable future.

Coach McGlone from what I hear has every intention on returning. But whether he does or a new era begins I think they will be just fine.
^^i have been removed from the Russell jfl seen since Boggs and co left and came to Raceland. Not for that reason, but bc that was win our jfl squad stopped playing Russell due to russell's revamping of the system. Up to that point, every Russell team we faced was running some form of the Wing T. But that was 6 years ago. So i am sure things have changed. I too feel like thy have the tallent and speed to get back to where they were and i also agree that it isnt the offense thats stopped them, it has hindered them some though, not having the line to really grind teams out like they have in the past, after they got up a few scores.
We only played other schools for 5 years before returning to the JFL format that was original in place. I look at it as a restoration not a revamping. We went back to a system that has a pretty good track record and been in place for decades. Those teams did run some form of it as well. But that was still not in 3rd grade.

Whether it's the wingT or some other system on offense the talent is there. That's a good point on the line. They have not been as strong up front the past several years.
Its not a matter of size though. Russell's never had huge olines. But thu have alwayshad alot of speed upfront.
I believe the question should be if he comes back will he take more controll. He's given smith most of the controll for the last several years and he's done a terrible job in my opinion. If smiths in charge, even with more talent I don't expect a vast improvement I hope I have to eat crow though.
^thats probably the single most stated thing I hear consistantly from Russell alum and fans. Is that Coach Smith has pretty mich taken over and Ivan is seemingly just the face. Hopefully Russell's success throwing the ball some against Estiill will open some eyes.
Conley a year older and stronger and if Korzep works to get faster could be a dynamic Backfield. McKee gained valuable experience at QB as a sophomore.

There are a bunch of lineman that will have the biggest impact on this team. (Smith, Arnold, Scott, Redden, Hammond, Mell, Sloan and I know I'm probably forgetting a couple) If they get in the weight room and work on their agility Russell should have a really good year. Add another good sophomore group that went undefeated to that. I look for the defense to improve a lot.
I look foward to seeing Russell back to their old selves. Really wish the RC Bowl would come back into play. I know its not probable, but Id like to see whoever takes over for Ivan, whenever it is, decide to renew the contracts. Its good for both shools.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I look foward to seeing Russell back to their old selves. Really wish the RC Bowl would come back into play. I know its not probable, but Id like to see whoever takes over for Ivan, whenever it is, decide to renew the contracts. Its good for both shools.

Would be very interesting if TJ took over. What would you think his reception first time back to AM land would be?:hilarious:d
Be interesting is Nathan McPeek took over and that rivalry already with TJ exists WOW!
It would be very interesting to see either one of thise scenarios. After all that has gone on though, I would be suprised if Nate doesnt end up in WV, OH, or NKY somewhere. I know Nate wants to coach at the next level, so I have a feeling he will end up at a mic larger school. Would i be shocked ifhe ended up at Russell? No. But I sont think it will happen.

As far as TJ goes, Idk what to think really. I know that he really likes coaching at Raceland, but he is a Russell Grad. So its hard for me to judge. Ikniw that if he did leave for Evil coutry, This Ramfan would wish him nothing but the best. I dont think Russell wants any part of the McPeeks though. Nate is a great coach, Bill musick reall sqrewed up things for Fairview. Nate was winning without any...well many transfers, then all the crap started. I doubt any area team would offer nate a job at HC. I have always thought though, that with his Offensive mind and TJ's defensive mind, it could make for an incredible staff. But thas way too much Ego, Height, Weight, and Bald heads for one sideline.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:It would be very interesting to see either one of thise scenarios. After all that has gone on though, I would be suprised if Nate doesnt end up in WV, OH, or NKY somewhere. I know Nate wants to coach at the next level, so I have a feeling he will end up at a mic larger school. Would i be shocked ifhe ended up at Russell? No. But I sont think it will happen.

As far as TJ goes, Idk what to think really. I know that he really likes coaching at Raceland, but he is a Russell Grad. So its hard for me to judge. Ikniw that if he did leave for Evil coutry, This Ramfan would wish him nothing but the best. I dont think Russell wants any part of the McPeeks though. Nate is a great coach, Bill musick reall sqrewed up things for Fairview. Nate was winning without any...well many transfers, then all the crap started. I doubt any area team would offer nate a job at HC. I have always thought though, that with his Offensive mind and TJ's defensive mind, it could make for an incredible staff. But thas way too much Ego, Height, Weight, and Bald heads for one sideline.

My question is though what did he really do to not be offered a head job? From my understanding Bill Musick asked him to resign or be fired? He isn't mentioned anywhere in the report to my knowledge. He is highly successful why wouldn't anyone give him chance? I understand the obvious of he must have been guilty by association but people screw up all the time in life and still get chances.
russellpride Wrote:My question is though what did he really do to not be offered a head job? From my understanding Bill Musick asked him to resign or be fired? He isn't mentioned anywhere in the report to my knowledge. He is highly successful why wouldn't anyone give him chance? I understand the obvious of he must have been guilty by association but people screw up all the time in life and still get chances.

I may have misled you to think i was non-McPeek. I am in no way against Nate. My famiky has known then for sometime now. I think alot of Nate and his dad Talmidge. I dont have anything personal against Gary. He justhas a tendency to do what he wants with the schools money but not do te paper work or turn a blind eye to certain issues. Personally though, I think the world of them all. They'd everyone give u the shirt off their back and really do care about the kids.

With that said, it sometimes takes a year or two for coaches in these circumstances to bounce back. I would say he will have a job somewhere next year, I just dont think it will be around here. I think he would be a good fit on the Raceland staff(i may get strung up for that but idc), but that will never happen.

I hate that by Bill Musick being himself, that a good man got twisted into the fiasco that was Fairview football this year. Imo, the loss to Raceland spearheaded it all. I think that if they had beaten us, none of this would have came out until the end of the season. But from the moment they got blasted by Johnson Central, people in Fairview started freaking out. Nate woukd be a good fit at Russell though.
I really don't think you will ever see a McPeek back in the Russell School system. My opinion.
DevilWatcher Wrote:I really don't think you will ever see a McPeek back in the Russell School system. My opinion.

Why do you think that? Nate great guy and coach Russell not good enough for him? I know you don't think it's too good for him I mean heck the guy played there, graduated, very successful career at Marshall, then very successful career coaching. This adversity was more administrative move than anything I think your wrong,
As of now McGlone is the coach and plans on being back next year. My opinion is he has earned the right to say when it is time. I believe he has high hopes for the future.
russellpride Wrote:Why do you think that? Nate great guy and coach Russell not good enough for him? I know you don't think it's too good for him I mean heck the guy played there, graduated, very successful career at Marshall, then very successful career coaching. This adversity was more administrative move than anything I think your wrong,

I consider Nate and Garry as friends but I don't think he's wrong. Just too much baggage.

Not to mention the job is not open.

That's going to be my only comment in that subject.
FBALL Wrote:I consider Nate and Garry as friends but I don't think he's wrong. Just too much baggage.

Not to mention the job is not open.

That's going to be my only comment in that subject.

This is America correct? Everyone has baggage including you I'm sure just think people too quick to judge if your friends with them you should support them
Im glad to hear that McGlone is planning on staying. I, like FBALL, agree that he's earned the right to say when its time to hang it up. As long as his health allows it, he very well may see this freahman class out the door. Imo though, if he gets himself another regional title/semifinal appearance, he may very well call it quits then. Just mo.

In regaurds to McPeek and Maynard. Both are great coaches and honestly, great people. BUT, i dont for see sither one of them at Russell in the near future.
The freshmen next year are just as talented as this years freshmen. Maybe even more so.
This years team should have what it takes to make a run in the playoffs. A talented offensive and defensive Sr class. A junior class that went undefeated as freshman scoring 253 points to their opponents 62. A Soph class (minus Conley) that went undefeated as well as freshmen. Good group of kids with (as Ramville folks like to say) a high football IQ.
Why is everyone focused on ClOne, he's not the problem, SMITH is the problem. He's running the show a he's terrible at it. He may be a decent position coach, but a bad x-o couch and game planner.
DevilWatcher Wrote:This years team should have what it takes to make a run in the playoffs. A talented offensive and defensive Sr class. A junior class that went undefeated as freshman scoring 253 points to their opponents 62. A Soph class (minus Conley) that went undefeated as well as freshmen. Good group of kids with (as Ramville folks like to say) a high football IQ.

With the crop of talent Bourbon loses then the gap in that Region significantly closes compared to the past 3 years...

Right now I would probably put Russell 3rd in that Region still behind Bourbon (who will still be good with Holman and Hill) and Mason (O'mara and Hill returning).. but for teams like Russell, Garrard, and possibly even Estill County this is the year where you have a window to make a run and possibly get to the Semi's.

My concern with Russell is they simply have not been very athletic whatsoever. The talent level at their skill positions has been severely deficient without many threats that can be game breakers. Having "system guys" running the ball or playing QB is fine to beat teams with less talent, but until Russell can find that back from the mold of Kasey Clark or Josh Gross who can single handily take over a game..they will struggle to beat teams like Mason and Bourbon who does have speed and playmakers.
Russell needs a change.. The Wing T needs to go.
Spread the field, get your athletes the ball in space, and bring some excitement back to the program.
Spread wing was successful at Fairview...just sayin.
I've said it many times Russell would be lucky to have Nate but everyone acts like he committed murder or something like the Patriots players it's unreal. Anyhow if Ivan does decide to retire or be asked to retire don't know why they wouldn't want him.
NoPicks Wrote:Spread the field, get your athletes the ball in space, and bring some excitement back to the program.

The problem is... as I mentioned in my last post... I don't see Russell having the athletes to accommodate this.

Secondarily, their defense hasn't been lights out by any stretch of the imagination for a few years now. Their ball control style has at least let them keep games competitive because they are limiting the number of possessions.. I would worry that they wouldn't score enough points in the spread and consequently have a defense that is average at best on the field way too much.

Against the 4 best teams on their schedule in 2013 (Ironton, Ashland, Bourbon, and Mason:
7 points per game scored
30 points per game allowed

In 2012 (Ashland, Mason, Raceland, Garrard):
14 points per game scored
29 points per game allowed

In 2011 (Ashland, Raceland, Garrard, Ironton)
14 point per game scored
32 point per game allowed

In 2010 (Belfry, Raceland, Ashland, Mason)
15 points per game scored
42 points per game allowed

In 2009 (Ashland, Ironton, Mason, Sheldon Clark)
11 point per game scored
36 points per game allowed

Over the past 5 years when Russell has played the 4 best teams on their schedule they are averaging 12 points per game while averaging giving up 34 and by and large those numbers are not too deviated each year.

As much as Russell needs to find a way to manufacture points... when you have a defense allowing 30 points per game when you play your stiffest competition you are rarely going to win... throw in giving that defense more possessions out on the field and it appears to be a recipe for disaster until Russell develops guys who can provide a scoring threat anytime they touch it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8