Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bobby Petrino to Louisville - Part II
My first post on the matter said BARNHEAD has done nothing to improve the football program and IMO he hasn't. If my memory is right his first hire was Brooks when he would not put any money into the program to keep Morris. And I am smart enough to know he is not the only A D to screw the football program. C M hiring that guy that coached 8 man football was probably the worst hire in the history of big time sports. Mummy like Stoops put a lot of early excitement into the fans, we are only hoping for better results. Franklin at Vandy made them competitive against SEC without stadium upgrades or any of that other stuff. So I know it is possible to win at kentucky if you get the right coach .
insideinfo Wrote:My first post on the matter said BARNHEAD has done nothing to improve the football program and IMO he hasn't. If my memory is right his first hire was Brooks when he would not put any money into the program to keep Morris. And I am smart enough to know he is not the only A D to screw the football program. C M hiring that guy that coached 8 man football was probably the worst hire in the history of big time sports. Mummy like Stoops put a lot of early excitement into the fans, we are only hoping for better results. Franklin at Vandy made them competitive against SEC without stadium upgrades or any of that other stuff. So I know it is possible to win at kentucky if you get the right coach .

The football program has improved since he's been here.

- Went to 4 straight bowl games.
- Set Commonwealth Stadium attendance record.
- Beat #1 and eventual BCS National Champion LSU.
- Ended streaks against Tennessee and a Steve Spurrier coached team.
- Reached #7 in the AP poll.

Also, look at how many players are from UK that are currently playing in the NFL. Can you ever remember a time when you had this many former UK players in the NFL? I'm just 24, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that no, UK has never had this many players in the NFL at one time.

What James Franklin has done at Vanderbilt is outstanding. That's why he's about to be named the next head coach at Penn State. But I wouldn't say that Vandy competed in the SEC. Yeah, they made it to 3-straight bowl games, but who did they beat? A completely dismantled Georgia team, worst Florida team in 20 years, a bad UK and Tennessee team? Franklin and Vanderbilt beat ONE ranked team while he was at Vanderbilt, that was against Georgia this season, but like I said, that was a dismantled Georgia team. Still a nice win, nonetheless. But Franklin turned that Vandy mess around pretty quickly, but he's leaving Vandy because he knows that he's probably reached his ceiling there. How much better could he really make Vandy? Not much, if at all. Recruiting at Vandy is limited, because of the academic standard at the school. Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, etc aren't exactly signing 3.0-4.0 GPA students.
:popcorn:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Then what do you call the $110 million renovation to Commonwealth stadium over the next two years?

Plus Barnhart hired Rich Brooks after Morris left, which wasn't a bad hire for the program, since he's one of the better coaches UK has ever had. The Joker hire wasn't a bad one at the time, because he was one of the most highly regarded offensive coordinators in the country. He didn't turn out of be worth a nickle, but he was fired and Barnhart landed a coach and staff that has come in and in two months put together the best recruiting class in UK football history and is about to have a top 15 or 20 recruiting class this season, something else UK football has NEVER done.

And complaining about ticket prices is hilarious when UK's parking pass prices and ticket prices are some of the lowest in the SEC. Plus prices are being raised everywhere, not at just UK or in college football, sports in general, everywhere.

So go tug on Petrino's pocket all you want, because I'll gladly set back and let Barnhart keep improving athletics at Kentucky and let Stoops right this ship we call Kentucky football.
For me complaining about ticket prices the way remember it is the Athletic Department ask me to make a contribution of $500 per ticket to buy them the year after raising the parking passes 150% for what I thought was a inferior product. If we had put a halfway decent product on the field I would still have been there. When you put the worst product in the SEC on the field what can else can you expect to charge put that lowest prices in the league.
[quote=BlackcatAlum]The football program has improved since he's been here.

Also, look at how many players are from UK that are currently playing in the NFL. Can you ever remember a time when you had this many former UK players in the NFL? I'm just 24, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that no, UK has never had this many players in the NFL at one time.

What James Franklin has done at Vanderbilt is outstanding. That's why he's about to be named the next head coach at Penn State. But I wouldn't say that Vandy competed in the SEC. Yeah, they made it to 3-straight bowl games, but who did they beat? A completely dismantled Georgia team, worst Florida team in 20 years, a bad UK and Tennessee team? Franklin and Vanderbilt beat ONE ranked team while he was at Vanderbilt, that was against Georgia this season, but like I said, that was a dismantled Georgia team. Still a nice win, nonetheless. But Franklin turned that Vandy mess around pretty quickly, but he's leaving Vandy because he knows that he's probably reached his ceiling there. How much better could he really make Vandy? Not much, if at all. Recruiting at Vandy is limited, because of the academic standard at the school. Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, etc aren't exactly signing 3.0-4.0 GPA students.[/ QUOTE]
You and I will never agree you want Mediocrity and I want Championships.
insideinfo Wrote:For me complaining about ticket prices the way remember it is the Athletic Department ask me to make a contribution of $500 per ticket to buy them the year after raising the parking passes 150% for what I thought was a inferior product. If we had put a halfway decent product on the field I would still have been there. When you put the worst product in the SEC on the field what can else can you expect to charge put that lowest prices in the league.

I'm not going to argue this, but the athletic department has to come up with money from somewhere to be able to compete with everyone else in the SEC.

Ticket and parking pass sales go a long way in helping the football program when you multiply it by 40-50k season ticket holders, plus the other tickets that are purchased from third party ticket businesses.
insideinfo Wrote:You and I will never agree you want Mediocrity and I want Championships.

Not true, I would love to be able to compete for a SEC championship and/or national championship. Fact of the matter is, that may never happen in my lifetime, because of the fact that Kentucky doesn't produce the amount of division 1 players that states with universities that do have national championships.

Your most successful football programs of the past 20 years of college football are Texas, Ohio State, Florida, Miami, LSU, Florida State, etc. Those schools are located in states that produce hundreds of division 1 football recruits a year, when here in Kentucky, we produce a around a dozen a year.

Now schools like a Nebraska for example where pretty dominate in the early 90s I believe, and had a team in the early 2000's that made it to the BCS title game, and that state doesn't exactly produce many D1 players. Which leaves room for hope that maybe one day UK can pull it off, but it's unlikely.

Right now, I'd be satisfied to field a team that's worthy of being in the same conference as Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, etc.
So Franklin is a genius and his team was fortunate to say the least to be a rebuilding UK team.

Riiiight
Petrino leads the Hilltoppers to a 5th pace finish in the Sunbelt after begging UK for a chance and Loserville made a good hire?

Riiiiiiiight
If I were a hardcore Louisville fan, I would lose a lot of respect for my school. I just don't see what the program was thinking bringing in Petrino.
The Prodigal Son, maybe Petrino learned his lesson. Plenty of people have taken advantage of 2nd chances after a serious screw up. His buyout is incredibly high and Petrino knows Louisville will be quick to fire him if he doesn't succeed.

My philosophy: if you're willing to leave for a better opportunity when you want, then you can be dumped at anytime
Enjoy this good read:

http://m.si.com/3766565/louisville-ad-to...y-petrino/

This guy is pretty much is spot on in my book. Considering the buyout and the past relationship with the AD Petrino is hog tied to produce or fade away into obscurity. He'll have to learn to play nice with others, communicate better, and be a loyal servant to UL. Three things he's not accustomed to :eye roll:.

Going to be an interesting few years to learn how he's handling it and what success UL will have, or not, with him at the helm!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
insideinfo Wrote:You must be like FBALL you like losing, you guys want to start this Holier Than Thou stuff. But I can tell you we ain't know saints ourselves. For the record I'm no Pitino or Cal fan either.

More that I like what I see from stoops. I believe once he gets his kids and not jokers that things will turn around at UK.
insideinfo Wrote:[quote=BlackcatAlum]The football program has improved since he's been here.

What James Franklin has done at Vanderbilt is outstanding. That's why he's about to be named the next head coach at Penn State. But I wouldn't say that Vandy competed in the SEC. Yeah, they made it to 3-straight bowl games, but who did they beat? A completely dismantled Georgia team, worst Florida team in 20 years, a bad UK and Tennessee team? Franklin and Vanderbilt beat ONE ranked team while he was at Vanderbilt, that was against Georgia this season, but like I said, that was a dismantled Georgia team. Still a nice win, nonetheless. But Franklin turned that Vandy mess around pretty quickly, but he's leaving Vandy because he knows that he's probably reached his ceiling there. How much better could he really make Vandy? Not much, if at all. Recruiting at Vandy is limited, because of the academic standard at the school. Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, etc aren't exactly signing 3.0-4.0 GPA students.[/ QUOTE]
You and I will never agree you want Mediocrity and I want Championships.
Actually it was joker that ended the Tennessee streak in 2011
insideinfo Wrote:My first post on the matter said BARNHEAD has done nothing to improve the football program and IMO he hasn't. If my memory is right his first hire was Brooks when he would not put any money into the program to keep Morris. And I am smart enough to know he is not the only A D to screw the football program. C M hiring that guy that coached 8 man football was probably the worst hire in the history of big time sports. Mummy like Stoops put a lot of early excitement into the fans, we are only hoping for better results. Franklin at Vandy made them competitive against SEC without stadium upgrades or any of that other stuff. So I know it is possible to win at kentucky if you get the right coach .

As Blackcat has eluded to, Barnhart has improved EVERY athletics program at UK but people just get tunnel vision when it comes to Basketball and Football. He righted his wrong with the hire of Billy G and now he is working on the Football Program. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT HIM TO DO? This hasn't been a Football school for a long time. The blame of that lies within the leadership of UK. Barnhart can't just go out and spend money, etc... without the approval of UK leadership and majority of them do not care about sports. Being an employee of UK and once working close with the athletics department and knowing of Barnhart on a personal basis, I wouldn't want anyone else to be the AD here.
I don't trust words, I trust action...
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Add this guy to the list. I don't want him. It would be like if cal went to the nba and we hired pitino and his new fresh louisville tattoo.

Pitino wouldn't go back to Kentucky. But you had your chance with Petrino. All this bullshit him leaving again is just that. Anybody who thinks Petrino is going to screw this up has lost their minds. I don't think he is that dumb. Plus...with a ten million dollar buyout? Not likely. He is one hell of a football coach.
He's one hell of a scumbag.
FBALL Wrote:Sleaziest football coach in the country to the sleaziest school in the country.

You have to be a child or one of the dumbest people in this state. U of L has never been caught cheating in anything. UK hired a coach with two vacated seasons.....UK has been caught in big cheating scandals twice in football and basketball. It's one of the few schools that has been given the death penalty. Go figure.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Then what do you call the $110 million renovation to Commonwealth stadium over the next two years?

Plus Barnhart hired Rich Brooks after Morris left, which wasn't a bad hire for the program, since he's one of the better coaches UK has ever had. The Joker hire wasn't a bad one at the time, because he was one of the most highly regarded offensive coordinators in the country. He didn't turn out of be worth a nickle, but he was fired and Barnhart landed a coach and staff that has come in and in two months put together the best recruiting class in UK football history and is about to have a top 15 or 20 recruiting class this season, something else UK football has NEVER done.

And complaining about ticket prices is hilarious when UK's parking pass prices and ticket prices are some of the lowest in the SEC. Plus prices are being raised everywhere, not at just UK or in college football, sports in general, everywhere.

So go tug on Petrino's pocket all you want, because I'll gladly set back and let Barnhart keep improving athletics at Kentucky and let Stoops right this ship we call Kentucky football.

Wow....lol. Funny stuff. Let's see..UK is reducing seating capacity and building more luxury boxes for the well to do....and they get to drink in them. The renovation....isn't helping the little guy. If you got money you can get one of those luxury suites. And you better go back a hundred years and check out the history of UK football and why UK should play football in another conference.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:The football program has improved since he's been here.

What James Franklin has done at Vanderbilt is outstanding. That's why he's about to be named the next head coach at Penn State. But I wouldn't say that Vandy competed in the SEC. Yeah, they made it to 3-straight bowl games, but who did they beat? A completely dismantled Georgia team, worst Florida team in 20 years, a bad UK and Tennessee team? Franklin and Vanderbilt beat ONE ranked team while he was at Vanderbilt, that was against Georgia this season, but like I said, that was a dismantled Georgia team. Still a nice win, nonetheless. But Franklin turned that Vandy mess around pretty quickly, but he's leaving Vandy because he knows that he's probably reached his ceiling there. How much better could he really make Vandy? Not much, if at all. Recruiting at Vandy is limited, because of the academic standard at the school. Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, etc aren't exactly signing 3.0-4.0 GPA students.

UK ended the streak against the worst, god awful Tennessee team in years. And rushed the field on that one. It was hilarious
FBALL Wrote:Petrino leads the Hilltoppers to a 5th pace finish in the Sunbelt after begging UK for a chance and Loserville made a good hire?

Riiiiiiiight

Petrino...went 8-4 at WKU beat an SEC team, guess who and Arkansas State, who went to a bowl game. You might want to take a look at his record at U ofd L and Arkansas each year he was there dipshit. They improved every year. And he coached WKU up...they weren't loaded. 41-9 with Petrino...Charlie finished 23-3 in his last to years. I wonder what WKU could have done if he U of L hadn't come calling. Pretty good for a "loserville." What's UK done in football?
Spud6 Wrote:If I were a hardcore Louisville fan, I would lose a lot of respect for my school. I just don't see what the program was thinking bringing in Petrino.

Are you a UK fan? If so...that's interesting. Confusedhh:
judgementday Wrote:How will this be the end of Barnhart?

When UL is beating us by 40 every season and picking up top recruits, then all of those who realize we had a chance to get Petrino last year will be pissed. I hope it happens personally.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I just don't see how anyone can honestly support this man. He's one helluva a coach, no doubt, but he's a dirty one that's never committed to anything in his life.

- He went behind Louisville's back to interview with Auburn after they fired Tuberville.
- Left Louisville for the the Falcons, but didn't finish the season as he left during the middle of the night and didn't even meet with his coaches or players, just left them a note. Mike Zimmer was quoted saying that Petrino was, "gutless".
- Went to Arkansas and had an affair with a younger woman, who he had hired onto the schools athletic department.
- Hired at WKU, who took a risk hiring him and he leaves after 1 year.

Had success at everywhere he's stopped (except at the Falcons), but when's he's left at his head coaching stints he's left those programs in shambles.

But he's a good coach, so I guess you have the hire him just to win at all costs. Which makes this a desperate move by Louisville's AD, Tom Jurich. If he has success at Louisville in the ACC he'll likely leave again for a better job whenever it opens up, like a Florida next season, Michigan in a few years, etc.

I'm glad Barnhart doesn't think like this. He's done an amazing job at UK. Turned every athletics program around to being top 25 in just about all sports. Finally UK has a AD that will put forth the effort to improve the football program and not just survive off of basketball success.

How many times have we heard this garbage?
His business is his business.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:The football program has improved since he's been here.

Rich Brooks Confusednicker:

Ah, 0 SEC titles. 0 SEC East titles. 0 National Championships. - BCS bowl wins. 0 wins over Florida and Tennessee.

But ill agree guys, he was a "great" coach.
FBALL Wrote:It amazes me the man crush you guts have on a guy that has left everyplace he had ever been in shambles.

Desperation is a bitch.

Its uk football. We passed desperation up in the 70s

Were going to have to get flat out dirty to win now.
Fromthebleachers Wrote:You have to be a child or one of the dumbest people in this state. U of L has never been caught cheating in anything. UK hired a coach with two vacated seasons.....UK has been caught in big cheating scandals twice in football and basketball. It's one of the few schools that has been given the death penalty. Go figure.

You do realize that U of L basketball has been put on probation twice since UK basketball was on probation right?
The poor Loserville fan has had to resort to personal insults for defense.

The Petrino influence. Class and dignity all the way.

That'a priceless.
Gravy Wrote:You do realize that U of L basketball has been put on probation twice since UK basketball was on probation right?

Shhhh . Don't confuse things with facts.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:When UL is beating us by 40 every season and picking up top recruits, then all of those who realize we had a chance to get Petrino last year will be pissed. I hope it happens personally.

But that is only 1 sport at the University. The only thing this may do is cause us an extra loss each year.
I don't trust words, I trust action...