Poll: Who wins the Class A Championship
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Williamsburg
53.16%
Mayfield
46.84%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 15(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield vs Williamsburg 1A State Title
My girlfriend says she hates it for the losing team after they have worked so hard to get to the championship. I said, I do too. Oddly enough, that feeling passes when I watch Mayfield hoist the trophy in the air at mid field. Smile
I guarantee you guys are just hyping this team up. Look experience on the big stage means alot. I'm not saying fairview and williamsburg are the same by no means but they are pretty much in the same position fairview was in last year. The player's and the coach get their first taste of a state championship match. The FANS are hyping this up too much I guess cause this is their first time here as well. First dates aren't always the best ones. Just saying! Go mayfield!
chris helton#60 is going to be a hard kid to stop. He's big, strong, and fast. Hazard was hungry in 2011 and now the burg wants their glory.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Griffith is out.

Griffith only played one series against Raceland.
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:Nothing happens. We just reload and try again next year. We have been to the state finals 18 times. We have won 9, so we know what it is to lose in the big game. Tears was shed by some and then it was on to next year.

Good luck to both teams and hope both leave the game injury free.

Very impressive run by your team Mayfieldsportsfan, good luck to you and a injury free game...
Williamsburg's defense is tough. Very fast, hit, and gang tackle well. In the Raceland game, Beech and Snyder both got smacked in the mouth and began running with the hands on the back of a lineman while looking for a hole. The only back who ran hard was Christian. He hit the edge without hesitation and gained around 45 yards on 3 carries. On the 3rd carry he injured his ankle(was broken at the beginning of the year), once he was out the run game went soft. If Christian stays in the game, Raceland's run game kicks into gear with the spread/option and it's a different ball game. It wasnt that Raceland couldnt stop Sizemore and co that lost the game. I say that to say this.

Mayfield has a quarterback with twice the arm of Elkins. Mayfield's oline is faster than Raceland's and probably a burger and fries short of being as big. I dont have their numbers so I cant say for sure. Mayfield, though they do not have a Jonathan Jackson, Stuart Mills is a faster version of Christian. He is a good running back who loves the edges. Hits the whole hard and doest shy away from contact.

The secret to neutralizing the Jackets defense, is hitting the c/d gaps fast with your rbs. Their 3-4/3-5 defense is really very good at controlling the gaps, but when Raceland ran the trap/counter, their DE/OLB over persue and the edge is wide open. Bc they will be in man, send your WR down field. They followed our WR everywhere they went.

While I thought, this game, meaning whover faced the Cards would be a running clock disaster, idk if thats going to be the case now. After watching Raceland/Pikeville(in person) then Raceland/Williamsburg(ihigh), I think all 3 of those teams created some interesting match ups for Mayfield. I feel this one though, simply after seeing Williamsburg's Jackets "swarm" the Rams offense, I think it will be a good game IF, Williamsburg can avoid the shock and awe of being there for the first time.

Raceland depended on strength to wear teams down. They finally run into a team who was as tough on the dline as they were on the oline and the Ram RBs collapsed, minus Christian, but ten he got hurt.

Imo, Mayfield will capitalize on what Raceland was doing off tackle. Then they will begin sucking Williamsburg's corners inside to stop the run and get Jackson going off of play action. Williamsburg will score and control Mayfield in spurts. But Mayfield will turn it out late.
mysonis55 Wrote:I'm sorry to hear that, for 2 reasons.
1) I hate to see this kid miss a state championship game.
2) We want to beat them at full strength, so no excuses.

Last I herd Jefferson Patrick, is out, I was at practice yesterday Griffin was on crutches, and Patrick was no where to be seen, I ask someone they said he was in Lexington at the UK sports doctor I understand Dr. Nooner in Corbin sent him there, I am glad we have depth. we will be fine.
Jefferson was at school yesterday. I saw him with my own eyes!!! I don't know where some of you are getting your information from. He is also at school today.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Williamsburg's defense is tough. Very fast, hit, and gang tackle well. In the Raceland game, Beech and Snyder both got smacked in the mouth and began running with the hands on the back of a lineman while looking for a hole. The only back who ran hard was Christian. He hit the edge without hesitation and gained around 45 yards on 3 carries. On the 3rd carry he injured his ankle(was broken at the beginning of the year), once he was out the run game went soft. If Christian stays in the game, Raceland's run game kicks into gear with the spread/option and it's a different ball game. It wasnt that Raceland couldnt stop Sizemore and co that lost the game. I say that to say this.

Mayfield has a quarterback with twice the arm of Elkins. Mayfield's oline is faster than Raceland's and probably a burger and fries short of being as big. I dont have their numbers so I cant say for sure. Mayfield, though they do not have a Jonathan Jackson, Stuart Mills is a faster version of Christian. He is a good running back who loves the edges. Hits the whole hard and doest shy away from contact.

The secret to neutralizing the Jackets defense, is hitting the c/d gaps fast with your rbs. Their 3-4/3-5 defense is really very good at controlling the gaps, but when Raceland ran the trap/counter, their DE/OLB over persue and the edge is wide open. Bc they will be in man, send your WR down field. They followed our WR everywhere they went.

While I thought, this game, meaning whover faced the Cards would be a running clock disaster, idk if thats going to be the case now. After watching Raceland/Pikeville(in person) then Raceland/Williamsburg(ihigh), I think all 3 of those teams created some interesting match ups for Mayfield. I feel this one though, simply after seeing Williamsburg's Jackets "swarm" the Rams offense, I think it will be a good game IF, Williamsburg can avoid the shock and awe of being there for the first time.

Raceland depended on strength to wear teams down. They finally run into a team who was as tough on the dline as they were on the oline and the Ram RBs collapsed, minus Christian, but ten he got hurt.

Imo, Mayfield will capitalize on what Raceland was doing off tackle. Then they will begin sucking Williamsburg's corners inside to stop the run and get Jackson going off of play action. Williamsburg will score and control Mayfield in spurts. But Mayfield will turn it out late.

Williamsburg is having fun they have nothing to loose if the people in Mayfield think the Jackets are going are going to somehow stop doing what is fun for them to do I got news for them IT AINT GOING TO HAPPEN so we going to have some fun Friday Meet you on the carpet, we can't wait I will say this if they do upset us I will be first to shake their hand.
Jacket4Life Wrote:Jefferson was at school yesterday. I saw him with my own eyes!!! I don't know where some of you are getting your information from. He is also at school today.

Which is why I won't believe any injury report till I see it with my own eyes.
pjdoug Wrote:I watched the Jackets in the cold the last two games and I can assure you they go dormant.they give all they've got from start to finish.

Im pretty sure I understand that both teams play in the same state and that the weather is pretty much the same... if u didnt understand , it was just a slurred commit about their mascot being a yella jacket.. sry E-army thats how I spell yella... took auto correct off my cell phone yall just have to deal with it... lol.
Jacket4Life Wrote:Jefferson was at school yesterday. I saw him with my own eyes!!! I don't know where some of you are getting your information from. He is also at school today.

They are fibing... tryin to catch us off guard... lol. Same ol tactic every year...
I can tell you all three were definitely hurt. Of the three, Skylar's injury is the most serious. I know they all want to play and are rehabbing hard. My guess is Skylar is out but Jefferson and Stone both play. Stone should be fine, but Jefferson may not be quite at full strength. Any injury to a starting player hurts the team depth wise, but we should be fine.
I don't expect any players to miss this game, even if they go in for a series. Two years ago our key group of players were all hurt but they went in the game, were they effective? No.
Newjacket Wrote:I can tell you all three were definitely hurt. Of the three, Skylar's injury is the most serious. I know they all want to play and are rehabbing hard. My guess is Skylar is out but Jefferson and Stone both play. Stone should be fine, but Jefferson may not be quite at full strength. Any injury to a starting player hurts the team depth wise, but we should be fine.

Hopefully all 3 will get to play, Williamsburg needs them, plus you hate to see them miss out on the opportunity to play in a state final. Regardless, the Yellow Jackets will show up and give Mayfield a battle.
gobigredMHS Wrote:I don't expect any players to miss this game, even if they go in for a series. Two years ago our key group of players were all hurt but they went in the game, were they effective? No.

SEKYFAN Wrote:Hopefully all 3 will get to play, Williamsburg needs them, plus you hate to see them miss out on the opportunity to play in a state final. Regardless, the Yellow Jackets will show up and give Mayfield a battle.

I don't think you all realized what I meant when I said Skylar was Out. He won't be playing. He is injured and his body is physically incapable of playing. As for the other two as long as one passes concussion tests he will be playing, and the other will probably try to play through the pain.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I don't think you all realized what I meant when I said Skylar was Out. He won't be playing. He is injured and his body is physically incapable of playing. As for the other two as long as one passes concussion tests he will be playing, and the other will probably try to play through the pain.

Fact
The burg has depth. Their second string is just as good as their first string. Not bad for a 1A high school football team. I shall call you the Borg from now on. Resistance is futile.
mustacherider Wrote:wburg just has more riding on this game. their hungry and ull see friday morning.

That is bull and you know it. They have no more on this game than Mayfield. There is kids on Mayfield's team that is going for their 3rd, 2nd and 1st rings. They want it bad.
Yeah, its a win-win for the burg, if they win, its party time, if they lose, well, they just couldn't hang with a superior team like Mayfield.
I have read this thread 13 times from start to finish since 8:00 this morning. The Jacket fans have me convinced, there is no way Mayfield can win this game. As topnotch said, it would be an upset if Mayberry were to win.
The Jackets have depth, they are fast and strong at all 22 positions. Sizemore will beat you with his arm and his legs. They have the best Coach, O-Line, D-Line, offense, and defense in the state of KY. The secret ingredient is the Jackets are playing for their first ever Championship, and they just plain want it more. Poor 'ole Mayberry is playing in their 19th Championship game, and their 5th straight.
No way Mayberry can beat this juggernaut. Williamsburg by eleventy billion plus 27.
I see it different, according to williamsburg fans no starter is healthy or playing but all the backups are better
With or without the rumored hurt players I think Mayfield wins fairly big.
A running clock would not suprise me
lets keep the thread going, the largest active thread on this site in football has 861 replies, isn't that about how many all-time wins Mayfield has?
Here's the only question that matters for neutral observers...who do you want to read for the next year bragging? MySon or 64Sur? I'm not sure the rest of us win either way...
Jumper Dad Wrote:Here's the only question that matters for neutral observers...who do you want to read for the next year bragging? MySon or Sur? I'm not sure the rest of us win either way...

Lose/Lose situation...
Do any North Laurel or Wayne County fans visit this site? If so, how did you beat this team?
Williamsburg fans, what happened in those 2 games?
mayfield_9 Wrote:Do any North Laurel or Wayne County fans visit this site? If so, how did you beat this team?
Williamsburg fans, what happened in those 2 games?

Wayne was just flat out better. They were bigger, stronger, faster, and more physical. North outschemed Williamsburg. Williamsburg didn't make the needed adjustments on defense during that game.
What about the offense in the Laurel game. 14 points?
mayfield_9 Wrote:What about the offense in the Laurel game. 14 points?

Just laid a egg, drops, bad throws and missed assignments...That effort against Mayfield will get Wburg killed...
  •  Previous
  • 15(current)
  • Next