Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trivia Time....
Congrats Walt. I was not aware of such a rule.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:What if a guy for Bama would have run off the sideline and tackled the auburn guy who rant for the td on the last play?

An Alabama Player Famously did that back in the 54 Cotton bowl

Officials gave him the TD
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:bingo.

Unfair act is left up to referees discretion.

The TD SHOULD be awarded anyways.

My Monday just got a helluva lot easier. :biggrin:
Yup, I was looking for the video of that but couldnt find one.

If you all remember, last year, Flacco told the Ravens if Ted Ginn broke it, that somebody needed to run off the sideline and tackle him.
After all the smoke cleared, they figured out it would have been a TD anyways. Last week when Tomlin interfered with Jacoby Jones of the Ravens by "accident", that could have been ruled a TD for that, but instead, the NFL just fine the crap out of him.

Rules differ from different levels, but its an interesting point. It would probably be a smart move if it was just a penalty
Walt Longmire Wrote:The officials are given quite a bit of latitude to prevent unfair acts or to prevent teams from exploiting loopholes in the rules. For example, if the clock was running when a team commits a false start then it is started on the ready for play whistle after the mark off, right? What would prevent a team with a lead from committing repeated false starts in the fourth quarter to run out the clock? Once the ball got inside their own 5 it would simply be half the distance each time so they could run out the entire quarter that way if they wanted to and run one play at the end to let the clock expire. However, if the officials think a team is trying to use penalties to exploit this they have the ability to leave the clock stopped after the penalty. The scenario presented by RIUTG is a similar deal.

Spot on. Ive thought about all the different ways you can cheat the system.
As you stated, the winning tem with the ball could run the clock out by simply continuing to get false start penalties, but the kicker with football is the "referee discretion" rule that allows refs to stop that.

One interesting thing to think about is if a team from one end of the state goes to the other end, does that ref do the right thing? :biggrin:
Since that one has been answered, here is a little riddle.
This one if for 1,000,000 BGR Imaginary points.

Team A and Team B played a Full game of football. No overtimes.

The game was very close but remained scoreless most of the game.

At the end of the day, none of the guys scored but Team A won the game 3-0.

How did Team A win 3-0?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Since that one has been answered, here is a little riddle.
This one if for 1,000,000 BGR Imaginary points.

Team A and Team B played a Full game of football. No overtimes.

The game was very close but remained scoreless most of the game.

At the end of the day, none of the guys scored but Team A won the game 3-0.

How did Team A win 3-0?

Team A had a female kicker?!
Belfry0304 Wrote:Team A had a female kicker?!

Confusednicker:

I would have excepted hermaphrodite.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Confusednicker:

I would have excepted hermaphrodite.

^ Luckily, I would have never thought of that but it sure does tell me a lot about you, Gut. LOL.
^
Its a lot easier to figure out when you can read it and put an emphasis on the word "guy"

Usually when you just tell that to someone, they never can figure it out.
How about Gus the Mule form the old Disney movie, he could kick them a country mile!
I thought I was the only person that remembered that movie.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Its a lot easier to figure out when you can read it and put an emphasis on the word "guy"

Usually when you just tell that to someone, they never can figure it out.

Here's a serious, non trick question for you. I'm assuming by your username you prefer power football, so if Whitley (who I believe is your team correct me if I am wrong) hires a spread coach who runs read option, passes a lot and such, do you find it hard to cheer for them?
Belfry0304 Wrote:Here's a serious, non trick question for you. I'm assuming by your username you prefer power football, so if Whitley (who I believe is your team correct me if I am wrong) hires a spread coach who runs read option, passes a lot and such, do you find it hard to cheer for them?

Nope. You have to run that kind of offense if you are going to compete for state titles. When you get in 4A, 5A, or 6A football and you are running the power game, you arent going to beat the powerhouses. They are to fast and there speed is to much for schools to compete with.

I always be a fan of power football. If I had it my way, the rules would change where the sidelines would be the hashmarks, you wouldnt be allowed to pass, and to top it off, you couldnt kick the ball either.

But, in its current form, the only way a school like Whitley is going to compete for a title game year in and year out is A. Get a coach who can get big numbers out. B. Get a coach who can manage the feeder program and build off of it. and C. Run a offense where you can be balanced.
J-Rod Wrote:I'm curious if it has ever happened before? >_>

I might be showing my age, but if I remember correctly back in the early 1960's. a Danville player came off the bench and made a tackle. But I cannot remember the opponent or the ruling.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Nope. You have to run that kind of offense if you are going to compete for state titles. When you get in 4A, 5A, or 6A football and you are running the power game, you arent going to beat the powerhouses. They are to fast and there speed is to much for schools to compete with.

I always be a fan of power football. If I had it my way, the rules would change where the sidelines would be the hashmarks, you wouldnt be allowed to pass, and to top it off, you couldnt kick the ball either.

But, in its current form, the only way a school like Whitley is going to compete for a title game year in and year out is A. Get a coach who can get big numbers out. B. Get a coach who can manage the feeder program and build off of it. and C. Run a offense where you can be balanced.

I agree to a point, but I believe you have to run power football with wrinkles. You can't count on schools like Whitley & Johnson County to out athlete Highlands and Bowling Green. Fight fire with water, not fire.

I asked because I find it hard to cheer for my Ohio State Buckeyes the way they play. This year is a little different because they're primarily a run first team, but last year it was tough.
Well, I find it hard to cheer for the Ohio State Buckeyes as well. I find it very hard.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I agree to a point, but I believe you have to run power football with wrinkles. You can't count on schools like Whitley & Johnson County to out athlete Highlands and Bowling Green. Fight fire with water, not fire.

I asked because I find it hard to cheer for my Ohio State Buckeyes the way they play. This year is a little different because they're primarily a run first team, but last year it was tough.

Here's where the kicker comes in though.
Highlands and Bowling Green doesnt just breed football studs, they produce them. Thats where my feeder program comes in.
I think its very important that you start learning the high school coaches philosophy early on. Wins and losses in grade school and middle school dont mean anything. But if those kids are prepared to run that offense when they step into the high school, then they already have a big advantage over other schools.

I would just like to see a balanced play book, and one thats complicated enough where your average high school coach couldnt understand. The athlete stuff will happen later. I would be very happy with a coach whos philosophy is a 60-40 run team.
My biggest thing is the eastern side of 5A is extremely open to take advantage of. there are no powerhouse football teams on the eastern side of the state in 5A football. If you can produce a good coach with a good system, I think he would dominate the east every single year.
I would like to see Whitley with a power running game along with good passing.keep the defense guessing instead of running 99% of the time lol
it seems like more than 90% of the time Whitley runs the ball on downs like 2nd and 1 when the defense has everybody in the box to stop the run.throw it over the top of them already lol
mysonis55 Wrote:Well, I find it hard to cheer for the Ohio State Buckeyes as well. I find it very hard.

It's definitely tough being #2 in the nation in football and #5 in the nation in basketball.
^ if your not 1st, your last
Belfry0304 Wrote:It's definitely tough being #2 in the nation in football and #5 in the nation in basketball.

And knowing you could go to the NC game over a 1 loss SEC team that could kill you Confusednicker:
toussaints Wrote:^ if your not 1st, your last

If you can't use grammar, don't argue :1: Let us beat FSU and we will be.

And Gut, a lot of teams said they could kill us... 24-0!
Belfry0304 Wrote:If you can't use grammar, don't argue :1: Let us beat FSU and we will be.

Your impressive wins over Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Buffalo help me to believe that Confusednicker:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Your impressive wins over Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Buffalo help me to believe that Confusednicker:

A win is a win. A loss in a loss. Auburn should probably have 3 of them (LSU, Georgia, Alabama) ... Alabama is the best team.
Belfry0304 Wrote:If you can't use grammar, don't argue :1: Let us beat FSU and we will be.

Punctuation is a part of grammar so it looks like we're in the same boat.

Plus, the Buckeyes got to beat Sparty 1st before they can brag about playing in the national championship game.
toussaints Wrote:Punctuation is a part of grammar so it looks like we're in the same boat.

Plus, the Buckeyes got to beat Sparty 1st before they can brag about playing in the national championship game.

Got me. Lol.

It won't hurt my feelings either way, I'm not that big of a fan. I'd say MSU will win to be honest. Just arguing for the sake of arguing!
Belfry0304 Wrote:Got me. Lol.

It won't hurt my feelings either way, I'm not that big of a fan. I'd say MSU will win to be honest. Just arguing for the sake of arguing!

you must be Scottish.they love to argue lol
nothing wrong with arguing, that's why America rocks