Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Trivia Time....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Lets see who can answer this correctly.
This is worth an imaginary 500 BGR points.

Team A has the ball on the 50.

Team B leads the game 12-7.

There is 3 seconds left, and time for one more play.

Team A throws the ball to an open receiver. He will go untouched to the endzone, and nobody is anywhere close to him.

However, a player from Team B's sideline runs onto the field and tackles the player at the 10. (this player wasnt in the game)

What happens and what call is made?
Unsportmanlike conduct. Team A awarded the touchdown.
I've always wondered about this so I'm excited to see the answer, my guess would be maybe the touchdown counts, player is ejected, a 15 yard penalty is assessed on the kickoff.
I'm curious if it has ever happened before? >_>
No, 15 yards from the point of infraction. The game can't end on a defensive penalty do they have 1 untimed down.
Ball will placed on the 5 yard line player is ejected for coming on field of play. Team A has one more play left.
That is correct placement. I forgot he said they were tackled at the 10. Since it is a 15 yarder it would only be half the distance.
Team A went into the end zone untouched therefore the tackle never happened.
If I'm the official I call it a TD and get out of the stadium before a fan from either side does something stupid. I'll deal with the penalty of possibly not making the right call on Monday. :biggrin:
half the distance to the goal and the game can't end on a penalty
did he score and run back to the 10 where the guy tackled him?lol
Touchdown or if not a touchdown mayfield in trouble 64SUR :thanks: walking the sideline from now on
Leonidas Wrote:If I'm the official I call it a TD and get out of the stadium before a fan from either side does something stupid. I'll deal with the penalty of possibly not making the right call on Monday. :biggrin:

Confusednicker:
While im not going to give the answer to this yet, I was curious to see some reactions.

Lets say for a minute that it cant be ruled a touchdown.
Wouldnt every coach have a player on the sideline waiting for that to happen just in case? Especially in the case of a state championship game. nothing else to lose for a senior on his way out.....
I would like to think that would not be something a coach would resort to.
What if a guy for Bama would have run off the sideline and tackled the auburn guy who rant for the td on the last play?
mysonis55 Wrote:I would like to think that would not be something a coach would resort to.

Lets say the player does this on his own will...
mysonis55 Wrote:I would like to think that would not be something a coach would resort to.

sorry mysonis55 i would make bacon out you if i was a coach drop the ball before you get near the sideline Confusednicker:
64, that's funny.
Give it up Gut you know I'm right.
AnotherPirateTD Wrote:Give it up Gut you know I'm right.

I honeslty wasnt trying to make it a trick question, but i see where you got that.
Instead of "will", I should have put "would have".

I did state that he was tackled at the 10 yard line though. He never made it to the endzone.
64SUR Wrote:Touchdown or if not a touchdown mayfield in trouble 64SUR :thanks: walking the sideline from now on

Don't make 55 bring his gun with him Friday. :biglmao:
15 yard penalty assessed to Team B for unsportsmanlike conduct. Ball placed on B's 35 yard line and Team A gets one untimed down.
I'm sure if it comes down to it 64SUR will be making this play for Williamsburg on Friday...
So, the general consensus here is ....

Team A, (who would have easily scored a TD if not for the interfernce of Team B's sideline) will have to play another down to try and score again?

Not saying you are right or wrong but...
If that was the case, then why doesnt everyone put a player on the sideline in case a team were to break it? All they would have to do is stop them on one more play. Seems unfair to Team A right?
I maybe on the chain gang :ref2: working it out with KHSAA :thanks:
I believe it is called an unfair act. The offending player is ejected and the referee can award any yardage he feels fit--including a touchdown. Normally the game would not end on an accepted penalty on the defense but the official could invoke the rule that a team cannot intentionally commit penalties to extend the game and call the game over.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:So, the general consensus here is ....

Team A, (who would have easily scored a TD if not for the interfernce of Team B's sideline) will have to play another down to try and score again?

Not saying you are right or wrong but...
If that was the case, then why doesnt everyone put a player on the sideline in case a team were to break it? All they would have to do is stop them on one more play. Seems unfair to Team A right?

That's what I was thinking. I'm really not sure what the call would be, but whatever it is, I'm sure there would be mass chaos if this ever happened.
Walt Longmire Wrote:I believe it is called an unfair act. The offending player is ejected and the referee can award any yardage he feels fit--including a touchdown. Normally the game would not end on an accepted penalty on the defense but the official could invoke the rule that a team cannot intentionally commit penalties to extend the game and call the game over.

bingo.

Unfair act is left up to referees discretion.

The TD SHOULD be awarded anyways.
The officials are given quite a bit of latitude to prevent unfair acts or to prevent teams from exploiting loopholes in the rules. For example, if the clock was running when a team commits a false start then it is started on the ready for play whistle after the mark off, right? What would prevent a team with a lead from committing repeated false starts in the fourth quarter to run out the clock? Once the ball got inside their own 5 it would simply be half the distance each time so they could run out the entire quarter that way if they wanted to and run one play at the end to let the clock expire. However, if the officials think a team is trying to use penalties to exploit this they have the ability to leave the clock stopped after the penalty. The scenario presented by RIUTG is a similar deal.
Pages: 1 2 3