Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th region up and coming freshman
15th has alot of good young talent coming up in next few years.
The only issue I see is that alot of these kids were physically very mature for 8th graders. I wonder how much growing they have left?? Not saying they can't improve still, but not much future for a bunch of 5'11 basketball players. Just my opinion. But yes the 15th region does have some very talented kids coming up thru the ranks in the near future. Johnson Central will be a very tall order for most teams tho. East Ridge and Shelby valley both return solid teams, but JC is def the front runner.
Sorry didn't mean to get into the region as a whole. This is a thread about incoming freshman.
Micro-Brew Wrote:The only issue I see is that alot of these kids were physically very mature for 8th graders. I wonder how much growing they have left?? Not saying they can't improve still, but not much future for a bunch of 5'11 basketball players. Just my opinion. But yes the 15th region does have some very talented kids coming up thru the ranks in the near future. Johnson Central will be a very tall order for most teams tho. East Ridge and Shelby valley both return solid teams, but JC is def the front runner.

I know Hunter Swindall is 6'2" 185, and still growing. He just turned 15. Most of these kids will continue to grow and get stronger my other son grew 5" after his freshman year and he was the same age and was only 5'11" and now 6'4".
I don't discredit you, but for the most part you don't see that. I never said it couldn't happen, but most of the kids I know, I'd be really surprised to see them grow 5 more inches. Stronger, yes for sure, but a growth spurt like that is prob not the norm, although I don't have statistics to back up my words. I hope they all grow to 6'5 or better and all get basketball schollys all over the country. Most of the past stars of the 15th region , that I can think of, didn't do much growing (height wise) from their Freshman year on. Maybe you can name me a few that grew 5 inches or more who were impact players early and greatly improved their college stock from that added height. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just enjoy discussion. How tall was Todd May when he started high school? he was alittle before me. I know Vanhoose was pretty tall as a freshman. Heff Conley was as tall in 8th as he was as a senior. Hall at JC was really tall in 8th. How tall was the Johnson kid formerly from SCHS when he was in 8th grade? It just seems to me if your gonna be tall, you're tall by age 15. Yes the Swindall kid is tall and could grow to 6'5 and add some muscle and he will be a very good high school player. I guess my point was if you're not already in that upper 5% of height, probably not gonna happen. The kids that are all 5'8- 5'11 rt now, gonna be tough being competetive thru out the state with a bunch of 5'11 to 6'2 kids when their juniors and seniors. Most of the good 8th grade teams in this region, this past year, were made up of mostly smaller kids who all ran the floor well and worked hard on the glass. Thats great in 8th grade, but tough to continue in high school.
Todd May was around 6'1 as an 8th grader. I agree microbrew, most kids do not grow very much after their 8th grade year but their are exceptions. And I have always said that once kids get in high school a very low percentage get better skill wise, they get stronger but not better.
Thanks for the info New O on Todd May. He must have developed his guard-like skills first and then the added height made him a nightmare to defend, verse kids who outgrow their coordination and start off under the basket because of the early growth spurt and have a tough time developing ball handling and shooting skills thereafter.
Magoffin has some great young talent this year

Jacob Issac is a 6' 4" center (9th)
Trenton Russell is a 6' 3" guard (8th grader)
You're right basketball101, Magoffin does have some good looking younger kids. I saw a few of them playing AAU ball last year and was really impressed.
spe690 Wrote:Dalton Frasure of Prestonsburg.

I think he is a good football player and basketball player. But from what I have watched this season in football is he is still young and not mature yet. I think he is a growing force in the years to come.
Pikeville should be pretty good.
ThePit Wrote:I think he is a good football player and basketball player. But from what I have watched this season in football is he is still young and not mature yet. I think he is a growing force in the years to come.

I agree 100%
Allen Central has some good freshman players coming in. They got Logan Smith from Knott County, With Rico Dominguez, Cameron Blevins, Seth Hall and Zach Layton that went to Allen last year he was really the only good player on the team