Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence Co. 42 - Prestonsburg 41
dawgbyte02 Wrote:I think the big difference in the cramping was all the LC line play both sides of the ball while P'burg line did not. I am sure the team doctors, trainers and coaches will be looking at this issue this week.

P-burg has alot of the boys playing both sides !!!
This was a great game that spotlighted high school football. The players and coaches from both teams worked their tails off. Both coaches were drenched in sweat. Spectacular plays by both squads. And the P'burg QB is very impressive. 4th and 10 from about there own 30 and throw a strike. No quit in either one of these teams. LC with less than a minute goes 80 yards and comes within 1. Then Cecil goes for the win instead of a almost for sure tie and OT. Whoever was giving this coach down the road was way off the mark. He is a very capable coach. He has the offense clicking but the defense needs some work especially in the secondary. Ashland and P'burg picked them apart on pass plays. The DB's give up to much separation. I was impressed with the LC defensive line play forcing the QB to scramble numerous times. However the QB was able to make something out of nothing numerous times. Probably one of the most exciting games in awhile. This game showed the reasons we all love high school football. Nothing riding on this game other than respect and both teams earned that and so much more. LC football is alive and well.
Congrats Lawrence.

Pburg once again played terrible in the first half and played catch up in the second. It almost worked out in there favor again, but Lawrence made some great plays in the final seconds and handed the Blackcats the loss.

I'm not sure why Pburg can't play a lick of defense anymore. This was the Derossetts backbone for years. Over the past 3 years, defensively Pburg has been average at best. Seems like all the focus is on the offense now. And the only real time the offense has been successful this season is when the play has broken down and Anderson or Williams has got open. That play will not beat the Somerset's, LCA's, or Danville's in the playoffs.

A LOT of improvement needs to be made for the Blackcats, but its not like the season is lost or anything like that. Its just week 3, and improvements can be made and this team has to focus and keep fighting.

I hope to see a great effort out of the the Blackcats next Friday.
punkbug13 Wrote:Never have seen a team cramp as bad as LC ...Do you think they were using that to their advantage , I mean it does stop the clock , and on the other end , what in the world was Coach James thinking when he went for the two point conversion ,wildest game I have watched in a long time !

Coach Ceil is too classy to do that.
CatDawg Wrote:Coach said after the game on the radio that Coach Short diagramed one of the final plays in the dirt and they executed to perfection. Awesome game.

Did he add in the cramp, to save the time out and stop the clock with 9 sec. Left:worthy:. Ridiculous
Very ugly game from my seat! No defense! A lot of flags. Cramping all over the place. Bad spots. Clock keeps running, officials were very slow on making several important(controversial) calls, arm tackling, some bad coaching calls(IMO), Pburg decides once again to wait until the second half to really try to get going, some missed calls, etc.....
In my opinion, a game is not lost on a last second play------ don't allow yourself to get put into that position. Play all 4 quarters to the best of your ability and when the buzzer sounds, look at the clock.
Blackcat fan 100%. with that being said congrats to LC on the win.
WYMT blew the coverage on this one, could have been the whole show. Not a more exciting game in the state. Hats off to both teams, got my 5.00 worth. And a shout out for Blake Prince. The Kid has more guts and heart than any I have seen in a long time. One question, why did the blackcats change qb in the 4th?
lol u p burg guys kill me.. u guys live it up when p burg pulls one out of their hind ends but when another team does it to them aww they are cheating or this and that .. i watched 2 of p burgs games and they cramped up also just show a little class and give it up to the bull dawgs..
GREAT WIN DAWGS
The injury with time running out in the game was a wrist, not a cramp. LC still had 1 time out, so it was not even necessary to try and fake an injury.
2 of the other 4th quarter injuries were ankles, not cramps. No matter what injuries they were, having the clock stop repeatedly worked against an LC team desperately holding on.
People need to learn facts before they accuse classy men and good kids of skirting the rules. It was a great game to watch and could easily have gone the other way.
And for those asking, no, the team do tors and trainers, and coaches, all former athletes, never talk about stretching and hydration. It is just too much fun watching your key contributors have to sit out while you cling to a lead and then make a dramatic comeback.
And somebody on this thread owes LC coaches an apology because he's been slamming them over and over and now he needs to give due double g credit.
Rivalrat Wrote:Very ugly game from my seat! No defense! A lot of flags. Cramping all over the place. Bad spots. Clock keeps running, officials were very slow on making several important(controversial) calls, arm tackling, some bad coaching calls(IMO), Pburg decides once again to wait until the second half to really try to get going, some missed calls, etc.....
In my opinion, a game is not lost on a last second play------ don't allow yourself to get put into that position. Play all 4 quarters to the best of your ability and when the buzzer sounds, look at the clock.
Blackcat fan 100%. with that being said congrats to LC on the win.

What game were you at? There were very few flags in this game with the most being thrown at LC? Double "EGG" you definitely need to be eating some crow and apologizing. Your years of "Madden" training have let you down.
This was my upset of the week in my picks.
ballfan87 Wrote:What game were you at? There were very few flags in this game with the most being thrown at LC? Double "EGG" you definitely need to be eating some crow and apologizing. Your years of "Madden" training have let you down.

Don't get excited... he never said the officials favored one team over the other. Rather, the officiating was loose and sloppy on spotting the ball, stopping/starting the clock, and how tightly the game was being called. Heck, the officials weren't even consistant with making penalty indications (only walking off the call, then starting the clock). ALL TRUE. But...was that way throughout.

Spotted 2 pretty obvious missed calls, one working for LC and one working for P-burg. No favoritism there, either.

Officiating was not a factor in this game's outcome.

The cramping, otoh, SHOULD be worrisome for the Dawg faithful. It did not happen just a -few- times. There were easily 15-16 different times LC players stayed down after a play. Someone is going to tear a muscle or go into heat stroke if that isn't fixed.
This was a blessing for me to bradcast. Both teams didn't give up, and showed a lot of heart and passion all the way to the end. Hats off to Prestonsburg for the comeback and love the quarterback jarrell as well as grant anderson and bryson Williams. As for Lawrence county I felt like they had more to win in this game and boy did they come out and play. Aj cyrus at quarterback is continuing to get better and shows a lot of maturity and field leadership. Ricky goble had a heck of a game running the football, had him 22 carries for 180 yards. Morgan o Brian had some big runs and a kickoff return for a touchdown. Senior blake prince had some big plays running the football, 74 yard int td, and the play of the game 59 yard reception at the end of the game!! Congratulations to the bulldogs in a gutsy game played with a lot of heart and emotion. So proud of all the kids, keep up the good work!!
ballfan87 Wrote:What game were you at? There were very few flags in this game with the most being thrown at LC? Double "EGG" you definitely need to be eating some crow and apologizing. Your years of "Madden" training have let you down.

19 flags
LC 10 flags for 90 yards
PHS 9 flags for 85 yards

If that is very few---I would hate to see a lot !
dbcooper Wrote:And somebody on this thread owes LC coaches an apology because he's been slamming them over and over and now he needs to give due double g credit.
If you look on the 1st page I said I will have my plate of crow also. I was very wrong about this game. Also the only coach I ever give a hard time is the head coach and I always will. I will give the head coach a hard time, don't care who it is. If it was John Madden I still would because the head coach is the the person in charge and he also has a paying job unlike the other coaches. Some people make it out like I said he was a bad person or something but I never did and never would. Everything I have said had to do with football. I do give all the players and coaches credit for this win. I still think he has a lot to prove and I will stil be hard till he proves me wrong but when and if that time comes I will be man enough to admit it. I also don't think Pburg was as strong as me or a lot of people thaught.
I'm glad LC was able to get Allan to coach. Not knocking Hayden Kiser at all because he was a talented QB but he wasn't a belly QB. That's Allan's game. He was one of the best QB's I've seen running the belly. He will only get better with experience. I'm not expecting big things from LC this season but this game was a nice step in the right direction.
If you was in attendance during the game then you got your money worth. There were some bad calls and a few horrible ones at that. These two teams gave it everything they had and you could see that. Good win for lc
Wasn't at this game but it sounds like a dandy. Congrats Dawgs. Typical excuses from Cats fans. I did hear Pburg was unsuccessful on their last 2 PAT's. Can't wait to hear CAT86's point of view. He never makes excuses and always has an intellegent post.
Ike Cooter Wrote:Wasn't at this game but it sounds like a dandy. Congrats Dawgs. Typical excuses from Cats fans. I did hear Pburg was unsuccessful on their last 2 PAT's. Can't wait to hear CAT86's point of view. He never makes excuses and always has an intellegent post.

Well, Ike. Your wish is my command...:thanks:

Several things I took from the game. First, for Lawrence County.

They are young, but so are we. The most telling thing about this game was the fact that it was obvious LC WANTED TO WIN from the opening kick off, and kept that intensity all throughout the game.

I was very impressed with LC's QB, Oline, and RB's. The QB made some excellent reads all night, and seemed to always make the right decision with the ball. LC's Oline came off hard all night, and these guys are gonna be a force as the year progresses.

Defensively, LC really managed to shut down Pburgs receivers (more on that later). The only breakdown in coverages only came with Jarrell was doing his best Fran Tarkenton imitation, scrambling around.

As some of you know, and as I have posted on here before, I am a HUGE Coach Cecil fan (and before some of you accuse me of being a suck up...I doubt he would know me if he saw me). I have watched him from afar for several years and he is just a classy, classy guy. I like the way he runs his program, the way he mentors his players, and how he approaches the game. He simply does things the right way, and if left alone, he will bring LC back to its glory days and do it THE RIGHT WAY.

For Prestonsburg, well...once again we really didn't seem to play hard until the second half. I realize we are young, and are currently playing people in positions they are having to learn on the fly, but there just doesn't seem to be any enthusiasm or life in this team. And they don't seem to even care until they get down 2 TD's. The huge gaping hole in the leadership department is in my mind the biggest single problem the Blackcats are facing right now. Youth gets older...inexperience gains experience...but people are either leaders or they are not. I don't think this team has many...

Jarrell was probably as inaccurate as I have ever seen him, but still made the plays to get the Blackcats back in the game down the stretch. I think everyone knew there would be games like this, given all Jaredd's inexperience, so this doesn't concern me as much as some other fans I have heard.

Prestonsburg's running game was non-existent. Much of it had to do with playing catch up all night, but the Blackcats simply must establish some semblance of a ground game, or else this will be a long season.

I for the life of me can't figure out what our receivers are doing...They seem to jog off the line, trot about 5 steps, then just turn around and hold their hands up. There doesn't seem to be any true routes being run...and if we are gonna throw it 98% of the time, there simply must be routes run instead of just drifting.

Prestonsburg's positives include being in supreme condition. Their conditioning program is similar to Navy SEAL training, and it really shows. I believe superior conditioning is what won the first 2 ballgames, and what allowed them to claw back into the game at LC. However, this will be less of an advantage as the year plays out, as other teams play themselves into pretty darn good shape too.

Both teams are young, and Pburg fans who know anything about football knew that there would be ups and downs this year. Heck, if anything, I'm surprised it hasn't been worse. There are gonna be fans at every school who want to blame the refs, opposing fans, day of the month, WHATEVER, on why their team doesn't win every game by 100 points. Those who know the game know better...

Both teams will get better, grow up, mature, and improve over the course of the year. Along with Sheldon Clark, who also is very young this year, Pburg and LC are gonna have really, really good teams in the near future...and maybe even this year.

Good luck LC the rest of the year. You guys are a classy bunch, and Coach Cecil definitely has them moving in the right direction.
^Well said as always. Hope Pburg keeps LC and SC on the schedule until the freshman and sophomores become seniors.
Do-double-gg Wrote:If you look on the 1st page I said I will have my plate of crow also. I was very wrong about this game. Also the only coach I ever give a hard time is the head coach and I always will. I will give the head coach a hard time, don't care who it is. If it was John Madden I still would because the head coach is the the person in charge and he also has a paying job unlike the other coaches.

this tells me everything i need to know about you. and just what gives YOU the expertise to question a head coach? do something in your life first before you judge others who are doing their job that YOU have NO CLUE how to do. i would love to see you run a football team. you couldn't run a pizza hut Confusednicker:
^^:dudecomeon:

I never said I have the experties of a head coach or to run a football team. I am just a fan who wants the Lawrence County football program to be back on top. You work very hard to defend the coach but I bet he never said for you to. I bet he would tell you that he don't need you to. This coach is a grown man and I think he knows the difference between someone questioning his character or evaluating his performance. He like all coaches know that the job of a head coach is in the spotlight more then most jobs. I think this is just one small part of the lure of this job,to prove your doubters wrong. If a coach cant take a little criticism then he will never make it as a coach or a lot of other jobs I know of. I think this coach has a thick skin and I think he is hungry to prove his doubters wrong and I hope he proves me wrong. You don't even know how much I hope for that. I don't know this coach personally but I would say he is a very good person and this was never in question but you were to quick to jump and get all hot around the collar that you could not see this. At the end of the day this was a very good game and a very good win and I give this head coach and all the coaches and players praise for the win. (GOOD JOB DAWGS:worthy:
Coach Cecil's forgotten more about football then you'll ever know. You're wrong about pretty much everything you post, you obviously know diddly squat about football since you've never played or coached.
Go awayand let the kids play, the coaches coach and come back when you know how to appreciate effort and how to actually SUPPORT a team and not just a few kids you might like.
Since a lot of people said Prestonsburg would win, and not only win but win big? Does Lawrence County earn more respect after this win?
lcgrad2002 Wrote:since a lot of people said prestonsburg would win, and not only win but win big? Does lawrence county earn more respect after this win?

yes!!!
This was a great game (with a lot of sloppy play) by both teams.

LC simply wanted it more. They played from the whistle at the start of the game til the end.
P'burg of course left the defense in the locker room again til the 2nd half.

Both teams are simply young & made a lot of young mistakes. Good news is this is week 3 and both have time to work on the little things before playoffs.

All the RB's for LC had great games, but #6 was just a beast to bring down up the middle. I knew when LC scored the final TD the game was over if they went for 2 because we hadn't stopped the run up the middle all night.

Congrats to the dawgs on a great win. Good luck on the season. From what i seen the future looks bright in Lawrence Co.

Blackcat's if you come out flat this week you will get into a hole you will not fight your way out of.
#6 Ricky Goble finished with 22 carries 163 yards and the game winning two point conversion. He was one of the players of the game . A lot of kids stepped up for Lawrence County and not all of them will get mentioned. There were a lot of cramps going on so a lot of freshamn got valuable playing time and did a good job. Very proud of all the kids from both teams for a great game. Nothing to hang your head about P-Burg you guys played a great game.