Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What games are you most looking forward to this season?
Cov. Holy Cross at Conner
Highlands at Scott County
Some of the games that I am most interested in seeing this year are for starters are:

8/24: Ray Correll Bowl @ Somerset includes Somerset vs Southwestern and Pulaski Co. vs Rowan Co.

9/7: Hazard @ Somerset

10/19: Pulaski Co. @ Southwestern

10/26: Perry Co. Central @ Somerset
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Harlan @ Hazard
Hazard @ Somerset
I hope Hazard doesn't return the favor that Somerset gave them on their field last year. Both teams were solid defensively, but it was the turnover story that sealed the deal for a poor offensive performance (really for both teams). Somerset scored on a blocked field goal and return for a touchdown, and a late catch by Storm Wilson to make the game 14-0. Both teams turned the ball over 6-7 times. I expect better ball security and a great performance by both teams this time around!
How does somerset look as far as skill positions?
king360 Wrote:How does somerset look as far as skill positions?

Somerset lost Alex Lange (quarterback and leading rusher), as well as Storm Wilson in the skill position. Arguably two of the better athletes in the mountains over the past 3 years, however what they return is very good. The junior class won an 8th grade state title for small division in 2009, and is poised to replace what the Jumpers lost by committee. Players like Will Lange (alexs' brother) who timed a 4.5 40 at the UK camp, as well as Winton who timed a 4.6 40 at the UK camp. Cam Chevront (sp?) will likely be the Z receiver, he made the all state track team and runs in the high 4.4's, as well as guys like Patrick Williams who runs in the 4.5/6s and Tyler Megargel. Add in guys like Tevin Slaughter, a 6'0 240 lb fullback who runs a 4.7 and is a freak in the weight room (385 bench, 700 squat, 315 power clean) and Kagen Skidmore a 6'3 280 lb lineman getting looks from Louisville, UK, and other schools around the state. This group should be very nice. The jumpers also add Tyson Williams who is said to be one of the better tight ends in the state at 6'5 250, however I have yet to see the kid play. I know that at the down and dirty camp at EKU there were 3 proported scholarship offers given or mentioned and those three were Tyson Williams, Tevin Slaughter, and Kagen Skidmore, all of whom will be major contributors for the Jumpers this season. Somerset did lose quite a bit of on field performance offensively, but they return 8 starters on offense, and 9 on defense. This team should be very good IMO, but you never know until the pads are on and the ball is kicked. This group worked very hard in the weight room this off season, they should be nice. Looking forward to Hazard, Breathitt, Whitley, Glasgow etc. Should be a fun season of football at the Briar Patch!
Perry Central vs Prestonsburg
Bell vs Harlan County
Breathitt vs Hazard
Breathitt vs Somerset

Possible playoff match up:
Breathitt vs Belfry for the regional championship.
As a Belfry fan:

Belfry @ Ashland
Belfry @ Johnson Central

Also going to try to watch Russell/Ashland this year if there isn't a scheduling conflict with a good Pirates game.
I have not seen this game posted officially on the KHSAA scoreboard, but Mayfield boosters they will open against 5A power Warren Central in a bowl game in BG My understanding is the whole Labront Scott issue with Mayfield is still up in the air as to where he will play this fall or even if he will play. At this point, neither school lists the game on any public schedule that I have seen. If they play, it will be a dandy.
PaytoPlay Wrote:As a Belfry fan:

Belfry @ Ashland
Belfry @ Johnson Central

Also going to try to watch Russell/Ashland this year if there isn't a scheduling conflict with a good Pirates game.

No Belfry vs Prestonsburg on your list.
Certainly look forward to that game alot! ^

Didn't want to list half of the schedule. Always expect a great game out of Pburg. Have a ton of respect for the program.
montgomery co at Rockcastle
Rockcastle at Russell Co
Knox at Rockcastle
Looking forward to the rematch with Rockcastle at our place. The trip to Knox Central should provide a great challenge and a great game. An early season trip to a good Whitley county team should be a good one to!
PaytoPlay Wrote:Certainly look forward to that game alot! ^

Didn't want to list half of the schedule. Always expect a great game out of Pburg. Have a ton of respect for the program.

Same here my friend. I have the upmost respect for the Belfry program & look forward to this game each year.
Louisville Central was set to play Evansville Reitz Aug. 25 at a bowl game in Louisville. I see now that date is still listed as open for both schools and neither has it on their schedule yet. Last year, there were five or six games played in that bowl at Papa Johns Cardinal stadium including some top out of state opponents.
Cellking Wrote:Breathitt @ Somerset-- Whitley Co. @ Somerset -- Perry Central @ Somerset-- Southwestern @ Somerset All these games should be very Good Games. Heck throw in Hazard and Danville, Lex. Christian and what a year. Can't waite.

You left out one....Somerset at Glasgow :Thumbs: Maybe not a Mt Team but will also be a great game for Somerset.
The one game that will be a super game is the Bell County at Harlan County game on Harlan County super football field on Oct 26
I want to see Bell and Harlan go at it again. That will be some must see stuff!!!:redboxer:
Tica Wrote:I have not seen this game posted officially on the KHSAA scoreboard, but Mayfield boosters they will open against 5A power Warren Central in a bowl game in BG My understanding is the whole Labront Scott issue with Mayfield is still up in the air as to where he will play this fall or even if he will play. At this point, neither school lists the game on any public schedule that I have seen. If they play, it will be a dandy.

They're definitely playing. Not sure why it's not posted on Riherds. The opponents are rotated from last year with Trousdale (TN) playing Greenwood in the opener, Warren Central and Mayfield in the nightcap.
Montgomery County vs Rowan County
Montgomery County Recreation Bowl
August 18, 2012 - Cunningham Field
I hate to say it but I am not that fired up about playing Rowan co in the rec bowl. I am more looking forward to the game because it kicks the season off. I just wish we could get the rec bowl back to the time when we had some of the elite teams come in and play not teams you see every year. I cant remember the year when we had Highlands and Trinty but that was top flight high school football.
I wish Estill and Montgomery would play in the Rec Bowl or just during the regular season...
The games I am looking forward to are Clark co our biggest rival love the atmosphere of the game. The Franklin co game is one, we had a great game with them last year and at Rockcastle they should be fired up and ready to play Montgomery after reading some of the stuff posted on here. With that all I can say is good luck to my Indians!
I am really looking forward to the Rowan County game. I can't wait to see the new offense.

The schedule is set up great for the Indians this year as we get some of our biggest games at home. Rowan County, George Rogers Clark, Anderson County, East Jessamine, and Franklin (Senior Night) County at home. This team plays well at home on the turf which means we have a good chance in all of these contests.

The away games will test to see how good this team is. Mason County has been a tough game in the past and they always suit up a lot of good athletes. Letcher County Central will be interesting as Coach Whitaker is now our OC and LCC has a new Coach and offense also. West Jessamine and Woodford County are District games. All Class 5A District 6 games (home or away) are tough tests. No off weeks in our District. Rockcastle County on the road, in the final game, in what is sure to be played in wet and cold conditions, will just be a flat out brawl (provided both teams are healthy or at full strigth at that point in the season).

You gotta love Kentucky high school football...
I think the new offense fits our talent better than the pistol\wing we ran last year but you cant argue the results Coach Collins had. I just think we could go big and play a little more smash mouth football so we can wear pepole down and then a little play action to keep the passing game rolling. I would just like to get back to seeing teams you dont usually see when we play in the rec bowl.
Ironton tigers @johnson central 9-28 should be a good game i think jc win 21---7
FBfan4life Wrote:Told you all I'm a bit of a homie...so I'll stay local and say, Lexington Catholic vs Ensworth Academy ( Nashville TN ) a powerhouse in the state of Tenn. won several state championship. What do you all think?

Ensworth is a rising power in Tennessee. Won large private school state championship last 2 years but the wild thing is they didn't even start football until I think 2004 with 1st varsity season in 2007 and 1st graduating class in 2008.
^
Funny how they got players that good right out of there school.....or did they? lol
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Funny how they got players that good right out of there school.....or did they? lol

There web page indicates over 1000 students now from 48 different zip codes.Thats why Tennessee has their privates in seperate classes but they also have enough to make 2 divisions.
^
As i said in the other thread, there a recruiting powerhouse.