Poll: Who Wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Garrard County
18.75%
Belfry
81.25%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Garrard Co (State-Semis) 11/25/11
Belfry has a great program,and i think this will be a close game.Garrard is loaded with speed and Belfry is a power team.just because Garrard is not a household name dose'nt mean they can't beat Belfry i know you guys don't alot about Garrard,but they do have the players to win this game.as far as the Garrard Danville game goes i think if they had played at seasons end Garrard would have blown Danville out.just my opinion.
Jack Lambert Wrote:Belfry has a great program,and i think this will be a close game.Garrard is loaded with speed and Belfry is a power team.just because Garrard is not a household name dose'nt mean they can't beat Belfry i know you guys don't alot about Garrard,but they do have the players to win this game.as far as the Garrard Danville game goes i think if they had played at seasons end Garrard would have blown Danville out.just my opinion.

I don't disagree with a thing you said in this post aside from the fact you GREATLY underestimate Belfry's speed. This isn't your traditional Belfry squad, they are very deep, and very quick. I think GCHS is very dangerous and already said if Belfry doesn't bring their A game they could be in deep trouble.

My argument was you were saying Belfry did not have a stronger schedule. I am simply saying that Danville was the best team GCHS played and they would not even be amongst the top 5 teams Belfry faced. At this point of the year Strenght of Schedule means next to nothing as you don't get this far without being a very good team. The relevance it does have is the fact Belfry has played in some high profile games against solid teams and prevailed.

IMHO, the stat that will be tough for Garrard to over come is 7/8.

This is Belfry's 7th Semi-Final appearance in 8 years. At this point this is an expected step for the Pirates and the grand stage won't effect them. Garrard, OTOH, may come out tight...especially with what is sure to be one of the largest crowds in school history I would presume. This could result in some early fumbles or missed assignments that could really hurt the Golden Lions.

Going into this I can't help but think about the 2003 Semi's at Lloyd Memorial. Belfry had just defeated a very stout one loss Middlesboro team on the road. Belfry was probably 3 TD's better than Lloyd, but between the weather conditions, the emotions, and a bit of let down on the execution side it came down to the last possession of the game 21-13. Belfry had better prepare for a war and for GCHS to play on an emotional high.
I think you side with history on this one & Belfry takes the mountains further into the state tournament.
There is a great stroy here a !st time GHS team playing in the state semi-finals and at home vs. a Belfry team with the all-time winnest coach. With the 2 1,000 yd RB'S for GHS and a BHS "D" who controlled a high-powered Breathitt running game. This sets up for a great game. In 6 days we will see what happens and one of these teams will punch a ticket to play for a state title. Good Luck to both teams and look forward to seeing a dandy Friday night in Lancaster, KY.
Haywood has been here several times before, and he will have his guys prepared, i'm sure the Pirates will not overlook the Golden Lions. That being said, I think the Pirates take this one and punch their ticket to Bowling Green.

Belfry 35
Garrard County 20
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I don't disagree with a thing you said in this post aside from the fact you GREATLY underestimate Belfry's speed. This isn't your traditional Belfry squad, they are very deep, and very quick. I think GCHS is very dangerous and already said if Belfry doesn't bring their A game they could be in deep trouble.

My argument was you were saying Belfry did not have a stronger schedule. I am simply saying that Danville was the best team GCHS played and they would not even be amongst the top 5 teams Belfry faced. At this point of the year Strenght of Schedule means next to nothing as you don't get this far without being a very good team. The relevance it does have is the fact Belfry has played in some high profile games against solid teams and prevailed.

IMHO, the stat that will be tough for Garrard to over come is 7/8.

This is Belfry's 7th Semi-Final appearance in 8 years. At this point this is an expected step for the Pirates and the grand stage won't effect them. Garrard, OTOH, may come out tight...especially with what is sure to be one of the largest crowds in school history I would presume. This could result in some early fumbles or missed assignments that could really hurt the Golden Lions.

Going into this I can't help but think about the 2003 Semi's at Lloyd Memorial. Belfry had just defeated a very stout one loss Middlesboro team on the road. Belfry was probably 3 TD's better than Lloyd, but between the weather conditions, the emotions, and a bit of let down on the execution side it came down to the last possession of the game 21-13. Belfry had better prepare for a war and for GCHS to play on an emotional high.

Your point is well taken,even though we don't agree on the strength of schedule.i believe everything you say about Belfry,and since Boyle won't be playing friday i think i'll come watch this game it should be agood one.
Been watching a bit of the Ihigh coverage of the Garrard game vs Danville on Ihigh. Very interesting offense - definately something different that Belfry has seen all year. Pretty much a pro style looking set.

Garrard's D looks fast and physical too. Going to be a good game IMO. The QB seems to have some talent and is confident in executing the passing game.
TongueirateSkuGo Big Red!!!!!!!!
:pirategir PIRATES sail on to STATE
I definitely expect a battle. How strong is Garrard up front? How will they handle Trey Willis on the inside? It's a tall task, the kid is a wrecking ball. I hope the experience pulls us through. I believe regardless of outcome I will travel to Bowling Green.
Belfry - 41
Garrard County - 9
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jack Lambert Wrote:Your point is well taken,even though we don't agree on the strength of schedule.i believe everything you say about Belfry,and since Boyle won't be playing friday i think i'll come watch this game it should be agood one.

:Thumbs: Nothing wrong with varying opinions... what fun would it be if everyone agreed all the time?
Rooting for the Pirates!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
The Pond Creek Nation makes another appearance in the River City...:1:
Doing some research on Garrard. They have played some established programs throughout the years. Losing close ones to Breathitt and Danville. So they have been capable of playing tough teams close. So respect the opponent. Who thought that Iowa St would have won on Friday night.

They have two excellant backs in Hayes and Wilson. They have each rushed for over 1,000 yds. They have a seasoned qb in Abney. He has either struggled in games this yr to throwing over 200 yds against Western Hills and Lincoln. The Tyler kid is a play maker at the wideout. Dowell and Caudill are there leaders on defense.

Belfry should win this game. But again respect the opponent . Stay focused. We all remember the Johnson Central game.

I am picking Belfry in this one.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I definitely expect a battle. How strong is Garrard up front? How will they handle Trey Willis on the inside? It's a tall task, the kid is a wrecking ball. I hope the experience pulls us through. I believe regardless of outcome I will travel to Bowling Green.

Thier line must be pretty good they have 2 backs with 1500 yds rushing each.thier QB'S stats are impressive to with over 1600 yds passing 20 TDS,and only 5 int's.he also has a good completeion % .this game should be a dandy.
They returned three offensive lineman from last years squad. They don't have alot of depth as they have a few players that go both ways. Belfry's depth will be a plus. They have two very good defensive players but they do give up the yardage and the points.
How is the seating at GCHS?

The pictures in the Garrard/Powell thread makes it look like there stadium is very small and older. The KHSAA website lists seating at 3000. If Friday's Breathitt/Belfry game is any indication that will probably be at least 1200-1500 short.

Will they be able to fit everyone?

Could this game potentially get moved to a venue in Danville like Centre College or Admiral Stadium?

[Image: http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2011-11...205907.jpg]

Home side doesn't look like it would be able to hold the traveling Belfry contingent.. afraid of what the visitor seating looks like.
A friend told me yesterday that he knew someone that officiated the last Garrard game and they told me that the stands aren't big at all. maybe a few row of bleachers. It was described to him that the elevation of the stands are like 10 feet off the ground.
I had a friend that told me yesterday that Garrard County plays on their middle school football field. They have a new school but their football field is not completed yet. I was told that people from Belfry should bring some extra chairs if they want a place to sit down at the game as Belfry will have alot of fans coming to the game from the Pond Creek Nation.
Jack Lambert Wrote:Thier line must be pretty good they have 2 backs with 1500 yds rushing each.thier QB'S stats are impressive to with over 1600 yds passing 20 TDS,and only 5 int's.he also has a good completeion % .this game should be a dandy.

Either that or the other teams defensive lines have sucked Tongue Haha. My fault, I meant to say up front defensively. Watched a little bit of the Danville game. They look like a pretty good team. Would love to have the game moved if the stands are gonna be that small.
Garrard County has had a great season but I think this is the end of the road for them. Their weak schedule and lack of experience in this type of game will be a huge factor. I think the Pirates are way to physical for the Golden Lions and every bit as fast. I'll take Belfry comfortably 42-20.
BHS78 Wrote:I had a friend that told me yesterday that Garrard County plays on their middle school football field. They have a new school but their football field is not completed yet. I was told that people from Belfry should bring some extra chairs if they want a place to sit down at the game as Belfry will have alot of fans coming to the game from the Pond Creek Nation.

I'm pretty sure it's there high school Field unless there Middle School is also called the Golden Lions. Garrard County has a Field House with locker rooms for both teams to go into at halftime, dress, change, etc. etc., they have 2 Golden Lion Statues as you walk out onto the Field. I'm pretty sure there score board has home of the Golden Lions on it or either they have Lions listed as the home team on the score board. Unless they've moved since 2010, that was the last time I was there. I'm friends with one of there players, I'll talk to him and see
EKUAlum05 Wrote:How is the seating at GCHS?

The pictures in the Garrard/Powell thread makes it look like there stadium is very small and older. The KHSAA website lists seating at 3000. If Friday's Breathitt/Belfry game is any indication that will probably be at least 1200-1500 short.

Will they be able to fit everyone?

Could this game potentially get moved to a venue in Danville like Centre College or Admiral Stadium?

[Image: http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2011-11...205907.jpg]

Home side doesn't look like it would be able to hold the traveling Belfry contingent.. afraid of what the visitor seating looks like.

The visiting section is bigger than Breathitt's but it's still small. Breathitt's seating section (For the home town folks/fans) is a lot bigger than Garrard's. If Belfry takes a big load of fans down there be prepared to either stand or sit on Garrard's side.
One thing to keep an eye on is whether Soph CB Sani Warren plays for Belfry. Not only is he probably the Pirate's best shut down corner (Thacker is pretty darn good in his own right though), but he is the Pirate's back-up QB and potentially who they would bring in if they fell behind and needed to pass in the 4th Quarter.

Warren hurt what appeared to be his ankle in the 4th Quarter and his status for Friday is yet to be determined. The McCoy kid is a tough little WR, but Warren definitely has the athleticism and skill to run with him when healthy.
Garrard has had success in the past . Here are there winning seasons since 1990.

1990 8-2
1991 10-2
1992 8-3
1993 12-1
1994 9-3
1995 10-3
1996 8-4
1999 7-5
2001 7-4
2003 9-3
2004 9-3
Sani came back in and played after he was hurt.
Strikeout King Wrote:The visiting section is bigger than Breathitt's but it's still small. Breathitt's seating section (For the home town folks/fans) is a lot bigger than Garrard's. If Belfry takes a big load of fans down there be prepared to either stand or sit on Garrard's side.

[Image: http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-...7623_n.jpg]

Only by a couple thousand....
all in all Garrard has a pretty decent Field
BHS78 Wrote:I had a friend that told me yesterday that Garrard County plays on their middle school football field. They have a new school but their football field is not completed yet. I was told that people from Belfry should bring some extra chairs if they want a place to sit down at the game as Belfry will have alot of fans coming to the game from the Pond Creek Nation.

The field that they play at is their high school field and has been for a long time. They have built a new high school but do not have a football field at that location yet.