Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 7 Ashland Blazer 6
Has Been Wrote:Congrats Pirates...Ashalnd 17-3 all time against Belfry... There's not many teams that can say that...

Just in the interest of full disclosure, how many of those games were played in the "friendly confines" of Putnam Stadium in Ashland?
^ Who cares? I am a Belfry fan but there is no denying Ashland has owned Belfry historically. BUT, I think the series could be more even moving forward and I hope both coaches realize the significance of entering into a long term contract.

Can anyone who is a bit more savy post the article from the Ashland Daily Independent. I thought it was high praise from Coach Hart to mention Belfry's speed on defense as a major factor.

Still satisfied from being in attendance at this game. Couldn't ask for better entertainment for $5.
Tomcats just short at Belfry
JOSHUA BALL
The Independent The Daily Independent Sat Oct 08, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT

BELFRY — Football is a game of inches.

And Ashland was just inches away from Belfry in a 7-6 loss at CAM Stadium Friday night.

The Tomcats (6-2) had the opportunity to win the game late in the fourth quarter, but senior wide receiver Cody Withrow fell short of the chains on a fourth-and-nine in Belfry territory. Quarterback Sam Hunter, who completed 11 of 14 passes for 88 yards, orchestrated the final drive as Ashland converted two fourth downs.

“We like to throw the ball on our own terms,” said Ashland coach Leon Hart. “Belfry’s speed on defense really hurt us, and we were forced with more third-and-longs tonight than we have had all season combined up to this point.”

Belfry, ranked No. 2 in Class 3A, improved to 7-0 and coach Philip Haywood is now one game shy of tying the state career wins record of 345 set by former Newport Central coach Bob Schneider and Bell County’s Dudley Hilton.

The win was vintage Belfry. The Pirates, who played in last year’s Class 3A state championship game, controlled the line of scrimmage. They played smash-mouth football to the tune of rolling up 275 yards of total offense – all on the ground on 50 carries.

“I thought our offense stepped up, especially in the fourth quarter,” said Haywood. Senior running back Trey Willis rushed for 84 of his 106 carries in the second half.

“Their speed up front and depth in the backfield wore us down,” added Hart, who commended his defense for a solid showing. “You hold a team like Belfry to seven points, you should be able to win.”

But Belfry’s defense held Hunter in check. The Tomcats got 81 of their 105 rushing yards on its only scoring drive. That came on a 1-yard plunge by Matt McLeod, who finished with a team-high 53 yards on six carries, with 3 minutes, 26 seconds left in the third quarter. Hunter was stopped short on the two-point conversion.

“If we punch in the conversion, it is a different ball game,” said Hart. “I thought that was a big play in the game, and we really did not execute very well at all.”

Haywood said he challenged his defense during practice this week.

“We had yet to put together a complete game,” he said. “We have played the facets of our defense well, but I thought we did a nice job keeping contain [Ashland’s offense].”

Belfry, which kneeled the ball on the Ashland 3-yard line for the game’s final three plays and won for just the third time in 20 games against the Tomcats, jumped ahead 7-0 when quarterback Tyler Williams plowed in from a yard out with 11:11 left in the first half.

Sophomore Justin Johnson led the Pirates’ ground attack with 113 yards on 12 carries.

“We needed a game like this to see where we are at,” said Haywood. “While we are pleased with the win, we still have a lot of work to do.”

Meanwhile, Hart said his team will regroup.

“While these games are good, they are preparation for our district schedule,” he added. “We’re 2-0 in the district and our goal is to win a district championship, and that is still very much attainable.”
I Am The Genius Wrote:First off, I don't post on here much, normally just read. Not really a fan of either team, especially Ashland. I thought Belfry had a strong line up front and a fast one at that, but I thought they had SEVERAL false starts (mainly the right side of the line) in the game that were not called. Several holds as well, also which did not get called. This was my first time seeing Belfry this year, but they will not get away with things like that every game. They were not disciplined very well. I have seen Belfry play 11 times in the past 5 years, this was my first time this year. They really did not impress me much. Had the officiating been better, IMO Ashland wins by about two scores. As for Ashland, they seemed intimidated by the atmosphere. I have seen them two times this year, once against George Washington and the other against Ironton. They played more aggressive against those teams. They did not get a strong run established up the middle tonight, which did not happen against GW and Ironton either.

I will say, the officiating tonight was downright horrid. I do not like Ashland, but I actually deeply regret now that I came in rooting for Belfry. I would guess that the Ashland fans that are trying to "keep it classy" were not at the game in person, and probably are used to hearing Dickie Martin complain about the officiating. His claim was legitimate tonight. After re-reading the pre-game thread just now, I feel like a lot of the Belfry fans now are why this site is considered the "retard" site compared to the other site and I regret now that I rooted for them to win this game. Ashland players were held all night. One of the punt returns I counted two blocks in the back (obvious ones), and they were not called. Also, Belfry had several spots in their favor tonight. This is nothing against the players, the program itself, but if anyone looks at this film (without maroon or red blinders on) and they'll see the truth of what I am saying. I saw several Ashland players, #80 included, approach the officials and either signal that they were being held, and one time signaled that a facemask should have been called and expressed frustration at that. This is only the third time I have seen this Ashland team, but they did not do that against George Washington (in which they were trailing most of the game) or Ironton (which they won, getting a big lead in the fourth quarter). I do not know #80 personally, but have seen him play a few times and he has never shown the expressions that he did tonight after the game. I do not think he should have chased down the players unless they were gloating (which I would doubt, both sides showed good sportsmanship for the most part), but I did see him chase down one of the referees. I really cannot blame him. Normally I would put those kind of actions down, and if I can get a shot on Ashland I'll take it, but tonight he had every right to chase down that referee because I honestly think that these guys had something personal against Ashland in this game. If he would have leveled the referee I really would not have been to hard on him - I couldn't blame him.

I know the Belfry fans are probably going to be on me like crazy. I could care less. Haywood does seem like a good guy and obviously he knows the game, but he has choked some big games away and because of that I still will not categorize him in the same area as someone like Dale Mueller or Bob Beatty. But seriously, I feel like I have insulted my username for rooting for Belfry tonight. Looking at how their fans act on here, I'm sure they'll be getting a good laugh while their flipping burgers this weekend.

I AM THE GENIUS

I really had to speak my mind on this one. Now, back to observe only mode.

Calling people a "retard" shows absolutly no class on your part. Your hatred for Ashland, down grading of Belfry and major lack of class tells me you must be a Russell fan. It must suck playing second fiddle to both programs. Now excuse me while I get back to flipping my burgers. Idiot!!!
I was in attendance for this one and this game was on of the hardest hitting games I've seen in years. It was great to see such a physical game defensive game. Great job to both teams and good luck to both as well.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:As a neutral observer to this game I have some observations.

Belfry is a damn good 3A team period. They are very deep, and very quick they will make noise in the playoff.

Ashland is good too, But they seemed very very intimidated by the belfry crowd.

The officiating was excellent in this game, a few missed calls but that happens. Btw two of Ashlands first downs came off of terrible spots, but the Turnover on downs by Ashland was a bad spot too. All in all it was a even job of officiating. But to me Belfry was the superior team.

Couldn't find the bad spots on the 1st downs when did they happen? I did see a horrendous down field pass interference no call (coach gave strippey a little love swat on the bottom for that one) and I did see the short spot on the Withrow pass which denied Ashland the 1st down. Both of these happened on Ashland's last possession. Other than that officiating was about par.
The pass interference no call was pretty obvious I thought. I looked at my buddy and said "we got away with one that time".

The out of bounds call with the spot short of the 1st down I can't comment on, from the other side of the field it was hard to tell. The ref was right on top of it though.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:The pass interference no call was pretty obvious I thought. I looked at my buddy and said "we got away with one that time".

The out of bounds call with the spot short of the 1st down I can't comment on, from the other side of the field it was hard to tell. The ref was right on top of it though.

Actually gave them a couple of yards MORE than they should have... He went out of bounds about 3 yards shy and stepped and stretched to get what he thought was a first down...
fieldofdreams Wrote:Actually gave them a couple of yards MORE than they should have... He went out of bounds about 3 yards shy and stepped and stretched to get what he thought was a first down...

You got it there where you can look at it fieldofdreams? The marker is just barely past the 29, Withrow catches the pass on the 30 turns and lays out with the football before he goes out of bounds. The ball got spotted about a foot and a half upfield from the 30. :biggrin:
He stepped out refs got it rite end of story watch the film and you will see
Buc-a-roo Wrote:The pass interference no call was pretty obvious I thought. I looked at my buddy and said "we got away with one that time".

Thank you Buc-a-roo. Not that either one of us could do anything about it from up in the stands, I had a better angle on the short spot. It's just an observation, not an indictment. I appreciate your comment.

You can really appreciate how good a game it really was when watching it without all the excitement of being actually at the game. Both coaches can begin to work on the things that they will see on the film. It's a shame there had to be a loser in this one. You just got to respect teenage boys that compete at the level both of these teams did last Friday. Good luck to Belfry, they are a good, well coached team. I hope they win out.
red&white Wrote:He stepped out refs got it rite end of story watch the film and you will see

Got it right here
Correct me if I am wrong, but if he stepped out between the 30 & 31, then it doesn't matter if he stretched the ball past the down marker or not before he stepped out. He is out of bounds short of the 1st down.

It would be the equivalent of running past the 1st down marker then running backwards and out of bounds behind the 1st down marker. It would be a turnover on downs.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but if he stepped out between the 30 & 31, then it doesn't matter if he stretched the ball past the down marker or not before he stepped out. He is out of bounds short of the 1st down.

It would be the equivalent of running past the 1st down marker then running backwards and out of bounds behind the 1st down marker. It would be a turnover on downs.

I probably misled you. His body was extended past the marker as he was going out. Like when you extend your arms and get a TD. Your feet are on the 3 but the ball breaks the plane.
gapman Wrote:You got it there where you can look at it fieldofdreams? The marker is just barely past the 29, Withrow catches the pass on the 30 turns and lays out with the football before he goes out of bounds. The ball got spotted about a foot and a half upfield from the 30. :biggrin:

Yep, sure do and if I can get the video to clip, I'll be glad to upload and post the link...
gapman Wrote:Thank you Buc-a-roo. Not that either one of us could do anything about it from up in the stands, I had a better angle on the short spot. It's just an observation, not an indictment. I appreciate your comment.

You can really appreciate how good a game it really was when watching it without all the excitement of being actually at the game. Both coaches can begin to work on the things that they will see on the film. It's a shame there had to be a loser in this one. You just got to respect teenage boys that compete at the level both of these teams did last Friday. Good luck to Belfry, they are a good, well coached team. I hope they win out.

VERY classy post!
fieldofdreams Wrote:VERY classy post!

My pleasure
gapman Wrote:I probably misled you. His body was extended past the marker as he was going out. Like when you extend your arms and get a TD. Your feet are on the 3 but the ball breaks the plane.

I understood you I just think we may need a referee ruling. If the ball breaks the plane of the goal line at any point it is a TD at that point, nothing else matters. But in the field of play, if a player extends the ball past the 1st down marker, but his foot goes out of bounds behind the marker, I think he is out of bounds where his foot goes out and it isn't a first down. In the same way, you can run beyond the marker, then retreat behind it and if you are tackled or go out of bounds, you are considered short of the 1st down.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:I understood you I just think we may need a referee ruling. If the ball breaks the plane of the goal line at any point it is a TD at that point, nothing else matters. But in the field of play, if a player extends the ball past the 1st down marker, but his foot goes out of bounds behind the marker, I think he is out of bounds where his foot goes out and it isn't a first down. In the same way, you can run beyond the marker, then retreat behind it and if you are tackled or go out of bounds, you are considered short of the 1st down.

you are correct, it happen when Arkansas State played WKU few weeks back,Wku had the ball reciever holds ball out for the 1st down,refs go back and review it and his knee hit the ground as he was extending for the 1st down,it would have more than like got them the win, but booth overturn it cause knee was down 1st..
Buc-a-roo Wrote:I understood you I just think we may need a referee ruling. If the ball breaks the plane of the goal line at any point it is a TD at that point, nothing else matters. But in the field of play, if a player extends the ball past the 1st down marker, but his foot goes out of bounds behind the marker, I think he is out of bounds where his foot goes out and it isn't a first down. In the same way, you can run beyond the marker, then retreat behind it and if you are tackled or go out of bounds, you are considered short of the 1st down.

I agree with all that you have said. If his foot goes out that's the spot. I was thinking the footplant was inbounds and then his momentum carried him on out of bounds about like a punt that goes out. It's a judgement call at that point, yes or no?
Very reasonable debate going on here. Nice to see. lol

It sure as heck looked close to me... I just felt awful for the Belfry player who extended that drive by running on to the field just in time to get a penatly on the punt. What a tuff lesson for a youngster.

In all honesty, you have to lay a tad bit of that blame on the coaching staff. Kids who play, on any team, should be on the front line watching the game. If someone needs water or whatever, let a freshman go get it for ya.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Very reasonable debate going on here. Nice to see. lol

It sure as heck looked close to me... I just felt awful for the Belfry player who extended that drive by running on to the field just in time to get a penatly on the punt. What a tuff lesson for a youngster.

In all honesty, you have to lay a tad bit of that blame on the coaching staff. Kids who play, on any team, should be on the front line watching the game. If someone needs water or whatever, let a freshman go get it for ya.

We saw the same thing happen last year on a defensive stop. Kid ran out and the flag flew. A killer mistake.
When does Ashland and JC matchup Gapman? I live in Ashland and may try to attend that game. I think JC might be a "tad" down from last year and Ashland is improved.. should be a battle.
PaytoPlay Wrote:When does Ashland and JC matchup Gapman? I live in Ashland and may try to attend that game. I think JC might be a "tad" down from last year and Ashland is improved.. should be a battle.

Next Friday, Oct 21st. I would agree the two teams are a little more even this year. That combination of Hall, Ousley & Jude coming out of the backfield for JC last year was special. Hopefully, we match up better now. Have you seen JC play this year? I just haven't heard much about them.
No. Only know what I have read on here and by looking at their results. It "seems" that this team is more Jude and Jude heavy squad.

I hope that is in fact true as it would help Belfry in week 10. I also heard their QB was a decent runner but not even close (at this point - think he is a Soph) to Hall as a passer.

Sounds like an easier JC team to defend than in years past, but Jude is still nasty good. So who knows?

That week is a huge game for Belfry too as we play for the district title at a capable Pike Co. Central air raid team.
PaytoPlay Wrote:No. Only know what I have read on here and by looking at their results. It "seems" that this team is more Jude and Jude heavy squad.

I hope that is in fact true as it would help Belfry in week 10. I also heard their QB was a decent runner but not even close (at this point - think he is a Soph) to Hall as a passer.

Sounds like an easier JC team to defend than in years past, but Jude is still nasty good. So who knows?

That week is a huge game for Belfry too as we play for the district title at a capable Pike Co. Central air raid team.

So many good teams out there this year. Wish I could get to see more of the games. If Pike Co chips on the edges for those 6 or 7 yard passes it could be a good one. Of course, you'd have to give up the ball once in a while for them to do that. Ashland only had two offensive series in the second half against you all.
gapman Wrote:I agree with all that you have said. If his foot goes out that's the spot. I was thinking the footplant was inbounds and then his momentum carried him on out of bounds about like a punt that goes out. It's a judgement call at that point, yes or no?

Yep, we are on the same page.

Close call in that situation with so much riding on it. I will have to take a look at the replay and see if I can tell if the foot went out or not.
Funny to me that you keep talking about that one play. One play does not win or lose a game. Lets talk about the no call on the late hit if it was called could have lit the fire that scores a touch down. You can say there were calls that could have changed the game the refs spotted the ball wrong on an ashland punt. Belfry recovered a clear fumble that was give back to ashland,but the facts are this and they are undisputed,Belfry stops a 2 pt conversion that keeps them with a 1point lead. Last drive of the game Ashland could not stop the fullback drove it right down to goal line game over.:Clap:
lunaticfringe Wrote:Calling people a "retard" shows absolutly no class on your part. Your hatred for Ashland, down grading of Belfry and major lack of class tells me you must be a Russell fan. It must suck playing second fiddle to both programs. Now excuse me while I get back to flipping my burgers. Idiot!!!

Hey now. Why bring Russell into this dogfight? Isn't this thread about Ashland and Belfry?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You were a controversial call away from being right. Ashland kicks the XP instead of going for two and that is probably how the score ends up.

I was at the game. I don't think Ashland is capable of kicking an extra point. To be such a good team they have no kicking game whatsoever. Their kickoff barely went past the 35 yard line and thier punting game was bad as well. That has to improve or they won't go far in the playoffs. Special teams will win or lose you some games over the course of a season.