Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 2011
Wideleft01 Wrote:Don't worry. Highlands would still be minus 35 if the backup QB has to play.

:blabbermo
BoyleCounty Wrote::blabbermo

yeah, im a huge highlands fan but i dont think that boyle will be a roll over at all. especially since its down at their yard.
It will probably be a great game with all starters firing on all cylinders. Im thinkn like 38-35 hhs, classic type of score. how far is boyle from n.ky.?
[quote=birdman44]yeah, im a huge highlands fan but i dont think that boyle will be a roll over at all. especially since its down at their yard.
It will probably be a great game with all starters firing on all cylinders. Im thinkn like 38-35 hhs, classic type of score. how far is boyle from n.ky.?[/QUOTE]

2 hours 15 minutes. You can hit the bourbon tour on the way. We may need it.:biggrin:
birdman44 Wrote:yeah, im a huge highlands fan but i dont think that boyle will be a roll over at all. especially since its down at their yard.
It will probably be a great game with all starters firing on all cylinders. Im thinkn like 38-35 hhs, classic type of score. how far is boyle from n.ky.?

I hope so. It's going to be a tough game and I can't wait. So much respect between both programs within the last 10 or so years. Glad to see the top two teams in 4A battle.
birdman44 Wrote:yeah, im a huge highlands fan but i dont think that boyle will be a roll over at all. especially since its down at their yard.

I'm sure it will be a real uphill struggle. Would just love for Highlands to get out of town with a W.
Wideleft01 Wrote:I'm sure it will be a real uphill struggle. Would just love for Highlands to get out of town with a W.

I'd hate to pick against Boyle County but if I were to pick against them, it would be because of Highlands. Casey Whittle has a huge arm for Boyle County as a Junior QB. However, he is a little inexperienced. He stands about 6'2 or 6'3 and closing in on 200 lbs. Devon Cox was Boyle County's leading rusher last year with about 1,500 yards. He is very elusive and explosive. Also, they return every receiver. The defense is the only thing I'm worried about because Patrick Towles is a pretty darn good quarterback if I must say so myself.
BoyleCounty Wrote:I'd hate to pick against Boyle County but if I were to pick against them, it would be because of Highlands. Casey Whittle has a huge arm for Boyle County as a Junior QB. However, he is a little inexperienced. He stands about 6'2 or 6'3 and closing in on 200 lbs. Devon Cox was Boyle County's leading rusher last year with about 1,500 yards. He is very elusive and explosive. Also, they return every receiver. The defense is the only thing I'm worried about because Patrick Towles is a pretty darn good quarterback if I must say so myself.

Did not realize that the Devon Cox kid was returning, figured he was a senior. What kind of runner is he, thunder or lightning? It looks like it might be a contest to see who's D gets tired slower. Afternoon game in that heat? if so, id wear the whites on whites.
birdman44 Wrote:Did not realize that the Devon Cox kid was returning, figured he was a senior. What kind of runner is he, thunder or lightning? It looks like it might be a contest to see who's D gets tired slower. Afternoon game in that heat? if so, id wear the whites on whites.

Afternoon game? What time is the game? Figured it was a typical 7:30 in the evening game.
tradition Wrote:Afternoon game? What time is the game? Figured it was a typical 7:30 in the evening game.

Checked, it is in fact a 7:30 game.
I didnt know if it was one of those first game of the year bowl carnival deals with multiple games. back in '98 we played male at like 1:00 at beechwood and it was like 100 degrees out in the blazing sun. its like 2-a-days in game gear, yuck.:devilflam
birdman44 Wrote:Did not realize that the Devon Cox kid was returning, figured he was a senior. What kind of runner is he, thunder or lightning? It looks like it might be a contest to see who's D gets tired slower. Afternoon game in that heat? if so, id wear the whites on whites.

A little bit of thunder with alot of lightning. Devon Cox is due for a big year. I know Highland's had a really good defense last year but what is it looking like this year? How many starters do they return on the defensive side of the ball?
The two Bruns brothers (senior twins) will be two of the studs. One defensive back (Drake, univ of cincinnati) one DLine. The D was kinda young last year, but the secondary will be pretty experienced and fast. LBs is the big question mark to me, Quillen (senior) is solid and there are some large good sophs coming up that might change some stuff around.

Offense will be the freak show. with mccoy, sheehan, collinsworth, and christian at WRs. True(power), Siedl (shifty)and a couple broozer sophs at RBs. Towles will have some weapons for sure. it will be interesting to see how they gel for the first game.
This team is going to be fun to watch.
birdman44 Wrote:The two Bruns brothers (senior twins) will be two of the studs. One defensive back (Drake, univ of cincinnati) one DLine. The D was kinda young last year, but the secondary will be pretty experienced and fast. LBs is the big question mark to me, Quillen (senior) is solid and there are some large good sophs coming up that might change some stuff around.

Offense will be the freak show. with mccoy, sheehan, collinsworth, and christian at WRs. True(power), Siedl (shifty)and a couple broozer sophs at RBs. Towles will have some weapons for sure. it will be interesting to see how they gel for the first game.

All nice skill players no doubt. But as with every football offense it all begins upfront. Any idea how things are shaking out on the OL? I know they have a couple of starters back in Trapp and Robinson.
Good luck to the Highlands track/football guys today at state-McGurn brothers, Sheehan, and Bruns. Nice article about Sheehan on queencityhigh.com and Towles on espn. Rock on Birds!
in response to a different Highlands Football Blog that stated that there was a 1964-1980 all highlands team that was voted on....

I thought id try to put together a rough draft of the next chapter.
The 1980-2011 all birds team:

QB LORENZEN ‘98 GUIDUGLI ‘00
RB FRISK ‘96 KRAMER ‘06
TE SMITH ‘98 GUIDUGLI ‘06
WR HAMBLEN ‘00 STEGMEN ‘97 COLLINSWORTH ‘09
T REYNOLDS ‘86 GRUBBS ‘09
G KUHNHEIN ‘97 SMITH ‘01
C SCHLARMEN ‘92

DL SCHEAR ‘97 SCOTT ‘00 FISCHER ‘81 WEINRICH ‘95
LB GROVER ‘00 ROLLER ‘09 ULBRICHT ‘98 MOORE ‘89
DB GIBSON ‘98 MITCHELL ‘04 ABNER ‘10 KRAMER ‘80

K HUDDLESTON ‘92

am i missing anyone?
birdman44 Wrote:in response to a different Highlands Football Blog that stated that there was a 1964-1980 all highlands team that was voted on....

I thought id try to put together a rough draft of the next chapter.
The 1980-2011 all birds team:

QB LORENZEN ‘98 GUIDUGLI ‘00
RB FRISK ‘96 KRAMER ‘06
TE SMITH ‘98 GUIDUGLI ‘06
WR HAMBLEN ‘00 STEGMEN ‘97 COLLINSWORTH ‘09
T REYNOLDS ‘86 GRUBBS ‘09
G KUHNHEIN ‘97 SMITH ‘01
C SCHLARMEN ‘92

DL SCHEAR ‘97 SCOTT ‘00 FISCHER ‘81 WEINRICH ‘95
LB GROVER ‘00 ROLLER ‘09 ULBRICHT ‘98 MOORE ‘89
DB GIBSON ‘98 MITCHELL ‘04 ABNER ‘10 KRAMER ‘80

K HUDDLESTON ‘92

am i missing anyone?

Gibson and Weinrich, although nice players, definitely not in the top 11 defensively in the last 30 years.
I i think Gibson got the season int record (11?)back in '98 dont know if anyone broke it yet?
Weinrich was the team leader in tackles two years in a row from D Line.

I couldnt think of that many D Line standouts. had heard about fisher on the 81 team but i thought Dline was the weakest on the allstar team above.
Lot's of speculation about who's going to separate themselves from the team ahtletically and be a leader as well. The Birds are loaded with RB's and WR's, but the question is who will be the "go to" when the chips are down.....I look forward to seeing which kids step up this year and make a name for themselves. I like Seidl and Towles on the ground. I don't honestly see any John Drennan type receivers on the '11 team, but I'm sure someone will step up to the challenge.
Uh, what about Shehan?
as a junior he played a big role, Shehan was the deep speed threat.
him and Towles have been together since Gold Team... They will go deep.
and there is Collinsworth, (fastest guy on the team now) and if he is half as good as his bro he will be a serious WR.
that is a tough duo to stop with a high school secondary.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Lot's of speculation about who's going to separate themselves from the team ahtletically and be a leader as well. The Birds are loaded with RB's and WR's, but the question is who will be the "go to" when the chips are down.....I look forward to seeing which kids step up this year and make a name for themselves. I like Seidl and Towles on the ground. I don't honestly see any John Drennan type receivers on the '11 team, but I'm sure someone will step up to the challenge.

Really don't know the team all that well do you.:biggrin:
birdman44 Wrote:Uh, what about Shehan?
as a junior he played a big role, Shehan was the deep speed threat.
him and Towles have been together since Gold Team... They will go deep.
and there is Collinsworth, (fastest guy on the team now) and if he is half as good as his bro he will be a serious WR.
that is a tough duo to stop with a high school secondary.

I hear of another kid whose name doesn't end in Collinsworth or Sheehan that's stepped up big time at WR....Should be an interesting season.
tradition Wrote:Really don't know the team all that well do you.:biggrin:

No, I do not know the team that well. Am I supposed to? Contrary to some, I consider my world to be well balanced. Highlands football kids are not in my top 10 right now. Please enlighten us Tradition with your in depth knowledge of the 2011 Bluebirds. I can't wait to hear it.....:worthy:
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I hear of another kid whose name doesn't end in Collinsworth or Sheehan that's stepped up big time at WR....Should be an interesting season.

Who would that be
There are some rumors that there could potentially be a Belfry vs. Highlands matchup in the Pike County Bowl.

Any of you Bird Brains hearing any scuttlebutt suggesting that on your end?
Stardust Wrote:Who would that be

Christian
EKUAlum05 Wrote:There are some rumors that there could potentially be a Belfry vs. Highlands matchup in the Pike County Bowl.

Any of you Bird Brains hearing any scuttlebutt suggesting that on your end?

I think the 2011 schedule is set. Unless someone backed out Highlands vs Belfry is a rumor. Is belfry 4A? My sense of what school is in what class died about 3 years ago.

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...fb11/35108

the first game is unlisted on the KHSAA site, they are playing @ Boyle Co.

By the way i love the name Bird Brains for Highlands fans. Might need to switch my log-on name.

off the topic. Christian is a great WR and will breakout this season. He will getting a lot of balls thrown to him with the weak link of the secondary guarding him.
Reading these posts about how good Highlands is going to be is kind of unsettling....for one, last year's Birds only narrowly squeaked by CCH and was punished by Dixie in the playoffs before pullin' it together. These three teams could go either way no matter what the paper says.....The wheels had better be in for a tune up before the drive for five.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Christian
I don't recall the name
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Christian

Belfry was the 3A Runner-up and will be a Top 3 team this year in the class...don't think they are in the same league as Highlands (not sure anyone is except Trinity and St. X this year), but would love to see the matchup
Just wanted to give a shout out to a very nice Blue Bird fan I ran into on a 2 can of Sunoco Race Fuel pit stop in South Carolina today on the way home from Myrtle Beach. Hope you made it home safe!

Good luck in 2011 HHS :Thumbs: