Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 2011
Let's hear about how the team will be this year!
jbwill2 Wrote:Let's hear about how the team will be this year!

Should be a good year. I hear they have 95 players as of now showing up for winter weights. That is the most ever.
Any early ideas about what the linebacking corps will look like this year? I'd have to think the LB unit will be looking different in 2011 given that some of last year's LBs are graduating.
95...wow
jbwill2 Wrote:Any early ideas about what the linebacking corps will look like this year? I'd have to think the LB unit will be looking different in 2011 given that some of last year's LBs are graduating.

Three from the top of my head: Quillen will be back; Dressman will be back; Chambers got a lot of playing time in the middle this past year and will be back. Birds will be really fine at the LB spot; they always come up with fast LBs that play down hill extremely well. Bowden and one Bruns return at two of the three D line spots. The other Bruns, Murray and New return in the secondary. So the Birds fill a couple of LB spots and one D line spot and they are good to go. Will be interesting to see if McCoy plays D. As the back up to Towels, he's got to get on the field somewhere this year; way too talented of an athlete and player to keep on the sidelines as insurance. Who knows: he may take a spot on D or he may end up at RB on O. Rarely do sophomores make much of an impact at Highlands, but there will be some extremely talented sophomores on this year's team who could push for a starting position or provide some great back up in Dale's two platoon system.
Highlands is a blast to watch and I can't wait to make a drive up there again this year to watch them. its always a great atmosphere
The birds will probably be lookin pretty good this year. Towles throwing to Shehan will be a circus show. someone new will have to step up as other WRs that Christian kid is pretty good. Im guessing that True and Siedle(SP?) will the running back tandem... a little thunder and lightning. Im really interested in if Jaylen Hays gets some touches being a sophmore. He will probably get a chance to return some kicks I hope, he is fun to watch. I think the other two 2010 freshman runningbacks, Harris & Woblerski(SP?) will probably start at LBs or something (also great players). Crazy good soph class coming in, it will be fun to watch how the defense evolves from last year.
:devilflam
I have been disappointed in the replacement of the Ole Betsy following HHS scores. The SixFlags theme song is pretty bad, more like a song for the dance team or something like that. My suggestion is equally annoying but is a little more funny and mascot related. How about Surfin Bird by the Trashmen?
Everybody heard about the BIRD. BIRD BIRD BIRD the BIRD is the WORD!
Visitors would be pretty annoyed hearing the intro to that song 6 or 7 times in one night.
charlie22 Wrote:Will be interesting to see if McCoy plays D. As the back up to Towels, he's got to get on the field somewhere this year; way too talented of an athlete and player to keep on the sidelines as insurance. Who knows: he may take a spot on D or he may end up at RB on O.

He does need to get on the field this year. Dont think he wants to play anything but QB though. I heard the coaches approached him about getting some time with the ones on D and he said Nah. I cant imagine saying no to varsity playing time as a soph.
birdman44 Wrote::devilflam
I have been disappointed in the replacement of the Ole Betsy following HHS scores. The SixFlags theme song is pretty bad, more like a song for the dance team or something like that. My suggestion is equally annoying but is a little more funny and mascot related. How about Surfin Bird by the Trashmen?
Everybody heard about the BIRD. BIRD BIRD BIRD the BIRD is the WORD!
Visitors would be pretty annoyed hearing the intro to that song 6 or 7 times in one night.

The student fans really enjoy the current song; besides the goal should not be to irritate or annoy the visiting fans.
charlie22 Wrote:The student fans really enjoy the current song; besides the goal should not be to irritate or annoy the visiting fans.
Only a small handfull of students show up for the games. I like the idea of the Bird song. Maybe not every TD, but maybe a couple of times would be funny!
How about that song army tank commanders played over load speakers as they rolled over the Iraqi Republican Guard. I think it was called, Flight of The Valkyrie!
I dont think the BIRD BIRD BIRD song would annoy visitors any more than the song they use now. Its a 60s surf song and it is about the BIRD. I like that better than a 6 flags song from 1995 that has no relation to the team. People would think its kind of fun i bet.

back to football... so we open up @ Boyle. Cov Cath, Holmes, Harrisson, and Pendleton are our new dist. then there is @ Elder-should be awesome. Then Ryle (just once this time) Louisville Western and Mason Co.

There is still one game left...Ive heard rumors about some kind of herbstreit challenge. Anyone know what's up?

What do you think of the sched?
birdman44 Wrote:I dont think the BIRD BIRD BIRD song would annoy visitors any more than the song they use now. Its a 60s surf song and it is about the BIRD. I like that better than a 6 flags song from 1995 that has no relation to the team. People would think its kind of fun i bet.

back to football... so we open up @ Boyle. Cov Cath, Holmes, Harrisson, and Pendleton are our new dist. then there is @ Elder-should be awesome. Then Ryle (just once this time) Louisville Western and Mason Co.

There is still one game left...Ive heard rumors about some kind of herbstreit challenge. Anyone know what's up?

What do you think of the sched?

The last game will be against Dixie.
Last game is the State Game! Drive for Five!

Regular season ends with games against Elder, then Ryle.
RepeatRings Wrote:Last game is the State Game! Drive for Five!

Full schedule for 2011 (excluding playoffs of course) is as follows:

Aug 12th Trinity(Scrimmage) Away 7:00 p.m.

Aug 19th Boyle co. Away 7:30 p.m.

Aug 26th Bye

Sept 2nd Dixie Home 7:00 p.m.

Sept 9th Lou Western Home 7:30 p.m.

Sept 16th Mason Co. Away 7:30 p.m.

Sept 24th Cov Cath(D) Away 1:00 p.m.

Sept 30th Harrison Co.(D) Home 7:30 p.m.

Oct 6th Pendleton Co.(D) Away 7:00 p.m. (Thursday night) - because of Wool festival

Oct 14th Holmes(D) Home 7:00 p.m.

Oct 21st Elder(Pit) Away 7:30 p.m.

Oct 28th Ryle Home 7:30 p.m.
RepeatRings Wrote:Last game is the State Game! Drive for Five!

Yea, I was talking about the last game to complete the schedule not the last game of the season. Someone asked what the 10th game to fill the schedule was.
Ryle will be 1 dimensional this year. Travis Elliot will be a beasty senior but with no Hemple they will be worse. Just set up a run defense and have a fast hard hitter spying him all day and the birds will win by 2 scores at least.

Boyle graduated all their starters at skill positions so I would guess H would have an upper hand with them.

Elder was the dumpster of the GCL south last year, but still is Elder. Should be a good game... I just hope we dont throw QP Fade every play.

Im most concerned about Cov Cath to be honest. Birr was pretty good last year as a soph. They gave H a scare last year with a super young team. graduated timmerman and conelley but i think the classes coming up are more balanced for the colonels.
horst muhlmann Wrote:Full schedule for 2011 (excluding playoffs of course) is as follows:

Aug 12th Trinity(Scrimmage) Away 7:00 p.m.

Aug 19th Boyle co. Away 7:30 p.m.

Aug 26th Bye

Sept 2nd Dixie Home 7:00 p.m.

Sept 9th Lou Western Home 7:30 p.m.

Sept 16th Mason Co. Away 7:30 p.m.

Sept 24th Cov Cath(D) Away 1:00 p.m.

Sept 30th Harrison Co.(D) Home 7:30 p.m.

Oct 6th Pendleton Co.(D) Away 7:00 p.m. (Thursday night) - because of Wool festival

Oct 14th Holmes(D) Home 7:00 p.m.

Oct 21st Elder(Pit) Away 7:30 p.m.

Oct 28th Ryle Home 7:30 p.m.
No room for Simon Kenton huh?:eyeroll:
jbwill2 Wrote:Let's hear about how the team will be this year!

Let me think.....how about another state championship? lol
I say they clean house in 4A this year, although i believe it will be a much harder trip to the state finals in 4A than it was on them in 5A.
Good luck next year.
Nothing against SK but the birds would destroy them. their crew of 8 year starters is all gone. They could reload but it would be a bunch of newbies coming of age together, beating Highlands would be like the finally of a disney movie
The Birds have their work cut out for them this year. The end of the year looks rough heading into the playoffs. The pressure on these kids to deliver has reached a boiling point. I think it's gonna be tougher than most think. It certainly won't be a Cake-walk.:dontthink
I hope Lou.Western beat yall. Because that my team
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:The Birds have their work cut out for them this year. The end of the year looks rough heading into the playoffs. The pressure on these kids to deliver has reached a boiling point. I think it's gonna be tougher than most think. It certainly won't be a Cake-walk.:dontthink

I agree with you about the Birds having their work cut out for them this year. Don't agree with you about the pressure reaching the boiling point. Haven't seen a single sign of it from the players I'm close to. This will just be another season that they are expected to win state. LOL. Seriously though, these kids have grown up with the expectation and I'm sure they'll handle it just fine. Dale does a great job keeping the kids focused and playing loose. Some folks expected the Highlands kids this past season to come un-glued after they lost to Ryle and busted the winning streak. Didn't happen. They just re-focused and went on to beat some good teams in the playoffs to claim No. 20.
birdman44 Wrote:Ryle will be 1 dimensional this year. Travis Elliot will be a beasty senior but with no Hemple they will be worse. Just set up a run defense and have a fast hard hitter spying him all day and the birds will win by 2 scores at least.

Boyle graduated all their starters at skill positions so I would guess H would have an upper hand with them.

Elder was the dumpster of the GCL south last year, but still is Elder. Should be a good game... I just hope we dont throw QP Fade every play.

Im most concerned about Cov Cath to be honest. Birr was pretty good last year as a soph. They gave H a scare last year with a super young team. graduated timmerman and conelley but i think the classes coming up are more balanced for the colonels.

Elder wasn't it's typical self last year because they started a lot of juniors and sophomores. They are expected to be much, much better this year from what I'm told by my GCL friends knowledgable about football.
No matter how you slice it, Elder is the toughest team Highlands will face in 2011 even if they win the state championship again.
Fall 2011 seems like a long way off right now. A lot can happen between February 1st and mid August.

As I see it, Class 4A may be a rougher road for Highlands than Class 5A was. Just because Highlands won at the higher class does not make them the favorite. Highlands has to be ready for each and every game starting from the trip to Danville until they store the pads.

Personally, I would like to see the Ryle and Elder games in the middle of the schedule rather than at the end. This would give the team and coaches more time to correct any flaws that are exposed by those much larger teams.
nky Wrote:No room for Simon Kenton huh?:eyeroll:

Simon K declined when asked. Guess you missed that News Flash from 2 months ago.:eyeroll:
Wise one Wrote:Personally, I would like to see the Ryle and Elder games in the middle of the schedule rather than at the end. This would give the team and coaches more time to correct any flaws that are exposed by those much larger teams.

I dont think it matters too much. Its actually better for them to have a real game as late in the season as possible. Its not like the first two weeks of the playoffs are ever tough games. Usually the worst two teams the birds play. Boyle Co. will expose any flaws right off the bat. Ryle will let us see what our run D is made of. Elder will be a nice smack in the face pre-playoffs win or lose:flush:.
birdman44 Wrote:I dont think it matters too much. Its actually better for them to have a real game as late in the season as possible. Its not like the first two weeks of the playoffs are ever tough games. Usually the worst two teams the birds play. Boyle Co. will expose any flaws right off the bat. Ryle will let us see what our run D is made of. Elder will be a nice smack in the face pre-playoffs win or lose:flush:.

W/o considering it, sounds like a good assessment. This, of course, is assuming everyone is healthy.
tradition Wrote:Simon K declined when asked. Guess you missed that News Flash from 2 months ago.:eyeroll:
nope just miss the SK guys telling us how wonder they are:eyeroll: and how if only they played the Bluebirds.................................