•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Salmons Out at Lawrence County!!!!
Assistant coach at James Madison and Marshall.
Bob Seger Wrote::yikes:

Hmmm, after reading this post with all of the spelling, capitalization, and punctuation errors I dont blame them for trying to put more emphasis on education. I can see why!!
Exactly and it is called school for a reason. We're not talking about a professional team it is high school and school does come first. However, in Lawrence County for to long sports have come first and everyone without red and black sports glasses know why. In the perfect world we would have top rated sports teams across the board and a nice educational tradition as well.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
Bob Seger Wrote:Assistant coach at James Madison and Marshall.
Don't forget head coach at Spring Valley as well.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
CatDawg Wrote:Exactly and it is called school for a reason. We're not talking about a professional team it is high school and school does come first. However, in Lawrence County for to long sports have come first and everyone without red and black sports glasses know why. In the perfect world we would have top rated sports teams across the board and a nice educational tradition as well.

Do you find it funny that for years when sports was "first", as you put it, our school system didn't suffer academically. Our tests scores were not great, but they were above the new state standards. Then we get the new administration in place at the board office and there is constant bickering and people being told they are easily replaced, while they continue getting raises at the board office, and our test scores fall below state standards. Without a good football, baseball, and basketball team at LCHS I will venture to say that academics will never be high. Take a look around other places, your really good students are generally those who are involved in these extra-curricular activities. You begin to not stress them or put forth the effort to make sure they are not just stable but that they are properly funded and stressed, then you can kiss the test scores goodbye. As a parent with a child in the LC school system, I will take my kid elsewhere when/IF the sports programs are appearing to be minimized. I don't stress athletics over academics with my child, but I do stress that vital life lessons can be learned by both.

I guess what I am saying is that my fix to our current problems would be to focus on what is going right, not what is going wrong with the school system. The football team has had great success the past couple of years. Look at the baseball team as well. Yet everyone wants to continue to focus on test scores and improving something that has never been among the state's finest. Will our students ever be among the top in the state in test scores? Ask yourself that. Then ask yourself whether or not our students have a shot at college? Well, what if our sports programs take a huge hit and we are no longer good on any playing field? What are their chances then?
CatDawg Wrote:Don't forget head coach at Spring Valley as well.

Correct.
StrayBullet Wrote:Really dissapointed in the news I heard today in regards to this job. Sad

Why would news of Phillip Ratliff dissapoint you?
Bob Seger Wrote:Why would news of Phillip Ratliff dissapoint you?

Straybullet is/was obviously pulling for Burchett... Ratliff would be a great choice IMO, but I don't see him coming to LC.

Whoever it is... I wish them good luck and much success and can only hope that folks will give them a chance and not come on BGR and bad mouth them like they do everyone else. :biggrin:
dawgeers Wrote:Do you find it funny that for years when sports was "first", as you put it, our school system didn't suffer academically. Our tests scores were not great, but they were above the new state standards. Then we get the new administration in place at the board office and there is constant bickering and people being told they are easily replaced, while they continue getting raises at the board office, and our test scores fall below state standards. Without a good football, baseball, and basketball team at LCHS I will venture to say that academics will never be high. Take a look around other places, your really good students are generally those who are involved in these extra-curricular activities. You begin to not stress them or put forth the effort to make sure they are not just stable but that they are properly funded and stressed, then you can kiss the test scores goodbye. As a parent with a child in the LC school system, I will take my kid elsewhere when/IF the sports programs are appearing to be minimized. I don't stress athletics over academics with my child, but I do stress that vital life lessons can be learned by both.

I guess what I am saying is that my fix to our current problems would be to focus on what is going right, not what is going wrong with the school system. The football team has had great success the past couple of years. Look at the baseball team as well. Yet everyone wants to continue to focus on test scores and improving something that has never been among the state's finest. Will our students ever be among the top in the state in test scores? Ask yourself that. Then ask yourself whether or not our students have a shot at college? Well, what if our sports programs take a huge hit and we are no longer good on any playing field? What are their chances then?
I do understand what your saying, however, when you take the attitude that we've never been among the top in the state in test scores so we never will then you have already given up. I'll give up on sports before I will the educational side. I can have more impact on my kids education with a good educational structure than I can with my kids sports. The educational system does impact every child that attends Lawrence County directly while sports does not. As far as I remember LC has only be par at best with their test scores and that just is not good enough for me. We will never get anyone willing to locate their company here because we have a good sports team. However, if we have a good educational system we have a shot at it.
As with most threads on here, this one has also gotten way off track. Concerning Coach Sammons, it is regretable and disappointing to most that he leave. He did not leave a program in shambles nor one known as a patsy-daisy or whatever. He left them winners with a bright future. He had to make a decision that was personal with high visibility. He was an excellent coach and from what I am told good individual. May the best of wishes go with him no matter how painful it may be. Now as to the future of" Dawg Football".If the powers that be make a good hire not a step will be lost. There are have been several names floating around out there. All dont have the right chemistry for a good hire even though most love football and have been around the game for years. Not to worry "DAWG" faithful, there is a very good hire out there and I predict that the step mentioned will not be lost. In fact you might be a little happier. Education is the reason "Boys Of Fall" can play. Now is the time to make your concerns known. The State Dept.is now with you. Speak to the ears that can help.
As a former Lawrence County athlete and a faithful supporter of Bulldog Athletics, I occasionaly get on here and read through the threads to pass time. I simply can no longer set back and listen to all the nonsense that is being thrown around concerning Lawrence County Athletics.

First, the fact that Luke Salmons decided to leave Lawrence County should not have been a surprise to anyone. Luke is not from here, so why would he want to stay? He played Division I football at Marshall and that has opened many doors for his future. He was able to make many connections with important people and I cant help but think that helped him get the Cabell Midland job. You guys praised him when the football team was so great the past two years but now you want to tear him apart because he leaves for greener pastors. The bottom line is Cabell Midland is a way better job than Lawrence County and anyone who understands the facts should see this. I never was a Luke Salmons supporter per say, I always thought there was something different about him, but bottome line was the kids loved him and he won games. I can't fault a man for trying to better his live and subsequently his families. Stop complaining.

Second, what ever happened to the days where kids played for the love of the game? Who cares who your coaches are? 99% of these football kids will play there four years of high school ball and they will never play another competitive sport again. The same can be said for all the other sports as well. I personally can't believe all these kids are or would be willing to give up playing because of the coach. The bottom line is that the parents need to step up and tell there kids to stop being prima donnas and go play the sports they love. During my days I would have never not played a sport because of the coaches. You play athletics for the love of the game and to play with your friends. ANYONE SUGGESTING THE KIDS SHOULD HAVE A SAY SO IN WHO IS HIRED IS DEAD WRONG! Kids who don't approve of the coaching hire can set at home, play PlayStation or Xbox, and two years down the road they will regret every minute of it. These kids saying they won't play unless the coach they choose is hired are the same kids who boycotted the basketball coach and they are the reason the team is 0-15. To me that is a very disturbing trend of teaching these young kids if they don't like somthing they can simply quit or boycott it. It's time for the parents to step up and be real parents and guide these kids.

Third, neither band or tennis are jokes. Just because certain sports/activities aren't as popular as others doesn't mean they don't deserve support as well. Everyone complains on how tennis is such a joke and how they deserve nothing, but I would be willing to guarantee that if you look over the years the tennis team has produced as many college players as the football team. They have been to more state tournaments and have recieved half the support. Band has produced several members as well who have went on to play in various college bands.

Lastly, with all that being said I want to say I believe the school system should do everything they can do to be succesful academically and athletically. Obviously academics are #1. It is time that parents and kids learn this. There are way more academic scholarships than there are athletic ones, and statistically they are easily reached. Look back over the past ten tears at all the athletes who actually got scholarships. The numbers aren't exactly soaring, and Lawrence County has been one of the more succesful schools around. It's time to start teaching these kids that the classroom comes first, because for the vast majority of them they will play in high school and that is it.
foxtrot1 Wrote:As a former Lawrence County athlete and a faithful supporter of Bulldog Athletics, I occasionaly get on here and read through the threads to pass time. I simply can no longer set back and listen to all the nonsense that is being thrown around concerning Lawrence County Athletics.

First, the fact that Luke Salmons decided to leave Lawrence County should not have been a surprise to anyone. Luke is not from here, so why would he want to stay? He played Division I football at Marshall and that has opened many doors for his future. He was able to make many connections with important people and I cant help but think that helped him get the Cabell Midland job. You guys praised him when the football team was so great the past two years but now you want to tear him apart because he leaves for greener pastors. The bottom line is Cabell Midland is a way better job than Lawrence County and anyone who understands the facts should see this. I never was a Luke Salmons supporter per say, I always thought there was something different about him, but bottome line was the kids loved him and he won games. I can't fault a man for trying to better his live and subsequently his families. Stop complaining.

Second, what ever happened to the days where kids played for the love of the game? Who cares who your coaches are? 99% of these football kids will play there four years of high school ball and they will never play another competitive sport again. The same can be said for all the other sports as well. I personally can't believe all these kids are or would be willing to give up playing because of the coach. The bottom line is that the parents need to step up and tell there kids to stop being prima donnas and go play the sports they love. During my days I would have never not played a sport because of the coaches. You play athletics for the love of the game and to play with your friends. ANYONE SUGGESTING THE KIDS SHOULD HAVE A SAY SO IN WHO IS HIRED IS DEAD WRONG! Kids who don't approve of the coaching hire can set at home, play PlayStation or Xbox, and two years down the road they will regret every minute of it. These kids saying they won't play unless the coach they choose is hired are the same kids who boycotted the basketball coach and they are the reason the team is 0-15. To me that is a very disturbing trend of teaching these young kids if they don't like somthing they can simply quit or boycott it. It's time for the parents to step up and be real parents and guide these kids.

Third, neither band or tennis are jokes. Just because certain sports/activities aren't as popular as others doesn't mean they don't deserve support as well. Everyone complains on how tennis is such a joke and how they deserve nothing, but I would be willing to guarantee that if you look over the years the tennis team has produced as many college players as the football team. They have been to more state tournaments and have recieved half the support. Band has produced several members as well who have went on to play in various college bands.

Lastly, with all that being said I want to say I believe the school system should do everything they can do to be succesful academically and athletically. Obviously academics are #1. It is time that parents and kids learn this. There are way more academic scholarships than there are athletic ones, and statistically they are easily reached. Look back over the past ten tears at all the athletes who actually got scholarships. The numbers aren't exactly soaring, and Lawrence County has been one of the more succesful schools around. It's time to start teaching these kids that the classroom comes first, because for the vast majority of them they will play in high school and that is it.

Great post! :rockon:
Bob Seger Wrote:Why would news of Phillip Ratliff dissapoint you?

I never said anywhere that the news of Ratliff was the reason for my dissapointment. I would be happy with this hire if it was Ratliff. It's the politics in the coaching search I was upset with to be honest.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:As with most threads on here, this one has also gotten way off track. Concerning Coach Sammons, it is regretable and disappointing to most that he leave. He did not leave a program in shambles nor one known as a patsy-daisy or whatever. He left them winners with a bright future. He had to make a decision that was personal with high visibility. He was an excellent coach and from what I am told good individual. May the best of wishes go with him no matter how painful it may be. Now as to the future of" Dawg Football".If the powers that be make a good hire not a step will be lost. There are have been several names floating around out there. All dont have the right chemistry for a good hire even though most love football and have been around the game for years. Not to worry "DAWG" faithful, there is a very good hire out there and I predict that the step mentioned will not be lost. In fact you might be a little happier. Education is the reason "Boys Of Fall" can play. Now is the time to make your concerns known. The State Dept.is now with you. Speak to the ears that can help.
Intriguing post.
If I am not mistaken the only state championships won by by LC is in track and wrestling.
StrayBullet Wrote:I never said anywhere that the news of Ratliff was the reason for my dissapointment. I would be happy with this hire if it was Ratliff. It's the politics in the coaching search I was upset with to be honest.
That just seemed to be the follow up to your being "disapointed" statement.
Does anyone know who the people on the search committee are?
foxtrot1 Wrote:As a former Lawrence County athlete and a faithful supporter of Bulldog Athletics, I occasionaly get on here and read through the threads to pass time. I simply can no longer set back and listen to all the nonsense that is being thrown around concerning Lawrence County Athletics.

Talk about a perfect first post. :thanks:
I am impressed that so many are realizing the importance of academics. While we might not be exactly on topic, this thread has evolved into a very good discussion.
9-POINT Wrote:Everyone knows your a relative, or a past relative of copley Confusedhh:

Im just someone that knows football and not someone that your Daddy told you they shouldnt hire.....
on a serious note, cecil met with the players today and talked to us all, so i dont know for sure yet whats going on or whos to be coaching next year yet but to my knowledge cecil would be a good candidate. we want someone who we know someone whos been here.

thats straight right there.:Clap::Thumbs:
Defiant Wrote:As a member of the upcoming senior class for the dawgs, we have been hit with alot in the last couple of weeks. Most of you may not know this, but coach salmons has not been our coach since our freshman year....hes been our coach since 7th grade. He got the job when we were freshman, so we have been with salmons for 5 years. We were all deeply shocked when he announced to us that he was resigning and now would be the hc at cabell midland. There was alot of mixed emotions. Some people understood, and some people hated him for it. Thats just the way it is. The seniors called a team meeting, the next day after he made his announcement, to discuss who would be tranfering and how we felt after all this (coach preece had announced he would be leaving just days before). From what ive heard, alot of things had happend between salmons and the school district behind closed doors and none of the adults want us to get involved in the politics. We are not asking to choose our next coach....we just want to be as involved as possible. This is our senior year. As any football player knows, u want ur senior year to be ur best and to go out with a bang. None of us are going anywhere. Count on it.

0 and 10
:Clap::Thumbs::1:
Bob Seger Wrote:Transfer??? To where? Just a bunch of idle, unknowledgable, and frustrated threatening talk here. Do you not realize that the KHSAA requires that you have to actually move to a residence in another school district and actually live in that residence before you even enroll at the new school to be eligible? Only then can you even begin to be considered by the KHSAA to be an eligible transfer and play the next year. Of course you can always sit out a year if you dont want to do that , but that makes it all highly unlikely that any senior is going to go anywhere to begin with. You're trying to make it sound like all you have to do is just quit one school one day and then you can automaticly play at another school the next day. It doesn't work that way.

well hot shot wade skaggs did it?

and you can go to any private or independent school.

and some parents would move to get their kids in a better program not like it hasnt been done before.

also if you transfer out of state different rules apply.

also where lawrence countys test scores are so low i do believe students are able to switch to JC or boyd schools like that and list it as academic reasons and still be eligible. but thats just what i heard, makes sense though

k thanks.

and waaaahhhhhh!

i didnt use capitalization or proper grammar, i know you love to point that out
While we are on this topic, what about contracts? I work in the private sector and have a very specific employment contract. If I decide to go to perceived greener pastures before the expiration of my contract, I would be required to buy out the remainder of my contract. Also employment with certain competitors would be prohibited for 5 years in order to protect the company. I was under the impression that teachers signed contracts that were from 7/01-6/30 year to year. Does this apply in this situation or not? And if it does, can the employer[school system] seek restitution?

Amen Brother.
THExBURCHINATER Wrote:It looks like Paintsville is failing in the education department as well. I can spot several mistakes in your post that points to the fact that your education has failed you also.

It's competitive*; not competitave.

I think somone needs to worry about the education they received from Paintsville instead of worrying about Lawrence County.

Yup My senior Class' ACT average was third in the state we Should have done better. I guess from now On I'll have to run every post after this through Spellcheck just to make sure It is up to your standards. This is a online forum, there is no point to critique someones grammar when they type a reply and to do so is childish.
Also To talk about the actual issue. Copley would be a awful hire. The best thing to do would be to bring up someone from within to take over.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:While we are on this topic, what about contracts? I work in the private sector and have a very specific employment contract. If I decide to go to perceived greener pastures before the expiration of my contract, I would be required to buy out the remainder of my contract. Also employment with certain competitors would be prohibited for 5 years in order to protect the company. I was under the impression that teachers signed contracts that were from 7/01-6/30 year to year. Does this apply in this situation or not? And if it does, can the employer[school system] seek restitution?

I am curious about this as well. Coach Salmons was in school today. Does this mean he'll be there the rest of the year? Hard for me to believe that he will, but if not then why would he be there teaching today? I'm not sure that teachers contracts are complicated enough to include buy out deals. One would think he could simply quit his teaching job and move on, it happens all the time.
I say let him get on to his new job and get the new coach settled in asap
Bob Seger Wrote:And you my little punk acting little kid represents the epitome of everything that may be wrong with the Lawrence Co. School System. You dont have a clue as to anything you are rattling on about either to begin with. All one has to do is go back to every post you have made to prove my point. I believe that even Coach Preece has asked you to just shut up on this board on more than one occasion. Then again you could care less how much of a punk you make yourself out to be on here. I think you have proven that in the past on more than one occasion as well.

Actually the Wiz is exactly right.. go back and check the records. Due to the poor condition of the school the kids can transfer without penalty. But even without that Lawrence Co has sent many kids to different school districts all they had to show was a different address and they went to bed every night in the same old house in Louisa. It may not be right but it is done all the time Check the records start going back to around 2004 for kids who have gone to Paintsville, Central, Boyd County, Rose Hill, etc. Just stating a fact.
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next