Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Runs the fastest 40 in the Mountains?!?
Buddy Ryan Wrote:Farmer ted's mule runs the fastest 40 in the mountains. Who cares!
While I agree the topic is a bit subjective - it is a good one worth discussing.
No it is not! They don't do a digital time, then don't even count it.
djttrbm Wrote:Josh Fletcher must run at least 4.3 if KP Skyles runs 4.4 cause he ran him down two different times when SC played Breathitt,just saying.Brandon Pelfrey also caught him from behind.Maybe Skyles was injured or just having a bad night.

Don't remember anyone catching Skyles from behind, he really only broke free one time and you know what happened then don't you, 46 yard td . But good angles and anticipating the next move can make anyone look faster, making a 4.6 player catch a 4.4 player. Really don't know either player from Breathitts 40 times but maybe they can participate in next years nucfootball combine in Lexington to get a legit 40 time.:Thumbs:
It is for those that are taking part in the discussion. 40 times have been around much longer than digital. The point is to learn who the fast guys are in EKY - clearly this thread has done that.
Football1 Wrote:It is for those that are taking part in the discussion. 40 times have been around much longer than digital. The point is to learn who the fast guys are in EKY - clearly this thread has done that.

Do you know Turpins 40 time?
Zack Blanton is pretty fast in the open field. Also Darly Beatty of PCC is fast too. I also got to mention Noah Reed of Clay County.
Darryl Beatty and Jay White are pretty fast, but I don't think anyone will top the 4.3(I think thats what they said) from Davenport from Bell.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:

i watch the video, and not knocking the kid,i know he is good, but you can tell he couldnt keep up with true 4.43 speed,they are gone in a hurry, and he was caught alot from behind...
Not trying to knock Eastern Ky. football but I am sure in the mountains it can look like a lot of players are running sub 4.5 40s.
cuppett777 Wrote:i watch the video, and not knocking the kid,i know he is good, but you can tell he couldnt keep up with true 4.43 speed,they are gone in a hurry, and he was caught alot from behind...

LOL.. Do you think a kid ever gets tired in a game? He's not going to run a 4.43 a whole 48 min game.
Being a track coach, I've seen all these guys on the track.. The Davenports, Merida, JJ Jude, Canady.. all these guys are extremely fast.... Their football speed, outweighs their track speed.. Conditioning plays a factor in track speed.. The difference in the 40 and the 100 is enormous.. sometimes a fast forty time doesn't always equate to a fast 100 time, and vice versa..
On a side note, I believe the fastest football player in eastern Ky. doesn't even play on a high school team.. Roy G Eversole (Hazard) Middle School has a kid named Jones (#8) that can absolutely fly...
Shawn Robbins has the Bell County record in the 100 meter dash running a 11.11. Cory and Cody Davenport are very close in speed. Their 100m yard dash is similar. Cory Davenport has run a personal best 11.44 while Cody has run a 11.50. JJ Jude of Johnson Central has run a personal best of 11.12
I have to say there's a lot of speed in the Mountains all you need is a glass of water.:lmao: LOL
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:LOL.. Do you think a kid ever gets tired in a game? He's not going to run a 4.43 a whole 48 min game.

i know that..:Thumbs:
I am not sure how or if you want to compare speeds at 40yds vs.100 meters but try these on for size. J.J.Jude Starting running back for JCHS. 100 Meters at 2010 State Track meet at UofL (11.8). Andy Lewis Former JCHS Football Team member.2009 State Track Meet UofL. (10.97). I am pretty sure that he was under 10.0, at some point in his career. Yep I researched this time previously because it was an issue. I want to remember 9.90 range but I am not sure. Just think if the Lewis kid could have been put in a grove on the Football field. In my mind Lewis was fast by any standard.
djttrbm Wrote:Josh Fletcher must run at least 4.3 if KP Skyles runs 4.4 cause he ran him down two different times when SC played Breathitt,just saying.Brandon Pelfrey also caught him from behind.Maybe Skyles was injured or just having a bad night.

roots rod Wrote:Don't remember anyone catching Skyles from behind, he really only broke free one time and you know what happened then don't you, 46 yard td . But good angles and anticipating the next move can make anyone look faster, making a 4.6 player catch a 4.4 player. Really don't know either player from Breathitts 40 times but maybe they can participate in next years nucfootball combine in Lexington to get a legit 40 time.:Thumbs:

Well, I guess I saw a different ball game because I did not see anyone run down Skyles. There is quite a difference in the terminology of "running down" and simply stopping a ball carrier. As the previous poster mentioned, angles and position makes a vast difference. But what is considered a "run down" is when the ball carrier is in the open and headed for pay dirt and the defensive man catches him from behind.

I would like, if I may, a clear example of the "run down." And I will use the player mentioned in a previous post, Skyles. In the Lawrence County game last week, he had two legitimate "run downs," i.e., catching a player completely in the clear, headed for the goal line. He performed this feat not once, but twice.

In regard to the three (3) times Skyles was purportedly "ran down" I must of taken my eye off the ball all three (3) times. I will give credit, though, where credit is due, Josh Fletcher is extremely fast and played a great game. As far as his 40 times, I am sure they are very good.

It is probably a stretch to think that Breathitt County and Sheldon Clark will meet in the play-offs, but if they do it should be a very interesting replay.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:I am not sure how or if you want to compare speeds at 40yds vs.100 meters but try these on for size. J.J.Jude Starting running back for JCHS. 100 Meters at 2010 State Track meet at UofL (11.8). Andy Lewis Former JCHS Football Team member.2009 State Track Meet UofL. (10.97). I am pretty sure that he was under 10.0, at some point in his career. Yep I researched this time previously because it was an issue. I want to remember 9.90 range but I am not sure. Just think if the Lewis kid could have been put in a grove on the Football field. In my mind Lewis was fast by any standard.
P.S. At any rate,documented at 10.97 Lewis seems to be in the company ofHenry Neal (10.15) and Tyson Gay (10.46).
i work for the ymca in pikeville i reviewed the stats for the track meets and to my amaze. the fastest 100 meter time came from middleschool not high school.a time of 11.56 went to a johnson kid from belfry middle school evently county champion.:Thumbs:
I know there's a lot of speed coming out of Cincy....Where it does it go to?
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:I am not sure how or if you want to compare speeds at 40yds vs.100 meters but try these on for size. J.J.Jude Starting running back for JCHS. 100 Meters at 2010 State Track meet at UofL (11.8). Andy Lewis Former JCHS Football Team member.2009 State Track Meet UofL. (10.97). I am pretty sure that he was under 10.0, at some point in his career. Yep I researched this time previously because it was an issue. I want to remember 9.90 range but I am not sure. Just think if the Lewis kid could have been put in a grove on the Football field. In my mind Lewis was fast by any standard.

He won both the 100 and the 200... I saw both races... He beat Robinson from Central in both.. Very fast, but I don't see him in the 9 second range until his junior, senior year of college, if then...
Norm Peterson Wrote:Great pic. However, it should have been a penalty against Bell County. Any player that hurdles another player that has at least one foot on the ground has committed an infraction. Still a cool pic.
As Cliff Claven would say "Not so fast there, Normie". :biggrin:

I think the rule says that hurdling a player is illegal if the ONLY part of that player that is touching the ground is one or both feet. If some other part of his body is touching the ground, like hands, head, butt, etc., then it is legal to hurdle him feet first.
This thread is stupid im my opinion, anyone can get on here and say so and so runs a 4.5 or 4.4. We all know in reality there are very few players in the mountains that run a true 4.6 or 4.5 forty, let alone a 4.4
Is this about running the 40 uphill or downhill? It would make a big difference. LOL
Chris Johnson has the NFL Combine Record with a time of 4.24...Even has a huge necklace that looks like a stopwatch to boot. With 4.24 in it.
cavery59 Wrote:There was some dude from EKU that ran a 4.2 in the NFL Combine back in 1999

I think you're talking about Alex Bannister. He came to EKU on a partial scholarship. He was drafted in the 5th round by the Seattle Seahawks in 2001.
He ended up making the pro bowl. And yes he ran a 4.2.
In track Jude ran an 11.05 100 M and 21.63 in the 200M. He won the region in both events. He finished ahead of Skyles from Sheldon Clark in every race during the season except for at the state meet. Skyles beat Jude in the 100M. I think Jude is a little faster and Skyles is a little stronger. I'd take either one on my team. Both are great backs!
reid from Clay 4.43 on the laser
Hooker ran 4.4 on laser prior to his injury, probably not as fast now
Canady best time is 4.6 per Knox assistant
easyM Wrote:I know there's a lot of speed coming out of Cincy....Where it does it go to?
Jail:lmao:
mrb5150 Wrote:Jail:lmao:

If they can catch them. I heard some have a nice hideout south of the border.....:lmao:
Cmon now...on this page alone we've got Jude at 11.05 and 11.8. LMAO.