Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best 3A Teams next year?
Coachdad Wrote:It helped them reach the STATE SEMIS mabey that means zilch to you but to most people with a little football knowledge would consider that somewhat of an accomplishment with what they lose every year . Who is your team I will let them know you think they are weak.

I would guess his team is PT, no one else in 3A has really earned the right to downplay Central. I think this year could be a little more competitive in 3A though. Obviously Central and Tilghman are the teams to beat but I expect the East and West to be tougher next season.
Roshambo at least you are somewhat objective , however PT has not earned the right to downplay Central 08 chs beat them at pt to win state the next year pt was nowhere to be found and last year(congratulations) pt was able to rally in the 4th to pull out the W AT HOME, when pt comes to the hive and wins then they will be about even, until then pt has NEVER beaten chs on their home field, but central has beaten them @ tilghman.
How will Somerset be after going to State last year?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Four straight
cougarpride08 Wrote:How will Somerset be after going to State last year?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them in Bowling Green again this year. They return Erik Manning at quarterback and Storm Wilson who may be the best receiver in Eastern Kentucky. They lose most of their O-Line and will be much smaller up front but with the return of Coach Perkins to the staff I would expect them to still be technically sound. Arguably the best RB on the team last season before injury sidelined him for the season, Derrick Jackson returns. Defense doesn't lose much at all, returns the Slaughter kid who had something like 140 tackles, 50 for a loss from the nose guard position. Size and experience on the offensive line is their biggest concern for this season. The East should be much tougher this season and Somerset will have to put together another impressive run to get to BG but it definitely can happen.
3A got a bad rap last year - namely because the state champ lost to 1A and 2A schools along the way. Hopefully 3A will be more competitive this year. Mason, Union, Somerset, Central, PT, Russellville or mountain schools all have a shot. Maybe it will be another rags to riches story from a team off the radar. I do not think what you did last year means a whole lot after play starts this year. PT's defense which had gelled into a pretty solid unit toward the end of the season, returns faster and stronger with four D1 prospects. The O is not there yet, and may have to utilize two QB's, one for throwing and one for speed.
Tica Wrote:3A got a bad rap last year - namely because the state champ lost to 1A and 2A schools along the way. Hopefully 3A will be more competitive this year. Mason, Union, Somerset, Central, PT, Russellville or mountain schools all have a shot. Maybe it will be another rags to riches story from a team off the radar. I do not think what you did last year means a whole lot after play starts this year. PT's defense which had gelled into a pretty solid unit toward the end of the season, returns faster and stronger with four D1 prospects. The O is not there yet, and may have to utilize two QB's, one for throwing and one for speed.

"I do not think what you did last year means a whole lot after play starts this year."

No truer words have been spoken. Last year is history! Let us move forward towards 2010, for that is what counts.
The Contrarian Wrote:"I do not think what you did last year means a whole lot after play starts this year."

No truer words have been spoken. Last year is history! Let us move forward towards 2010, for that is what counts.
You are right, but that would be the title of some other thread. That's what these comment boards are for, loosen up cheer for your team, do whatever , but at the same time be respectful & aware of other people's common dignity please and thanks.
Coachdad Wrote:You are right, but that would be the title of some other thread. That's what these comment boards are for, loosen up cheer for your team, do whatever , but at the same time be respectful & aware of other people's common dignity please and thanks.

Bingo! You are correct, it was from another thread. I read that post and thought it would apply to any team in the 3A class that had lost its desire and spirit. What is wrong with that? I meant it as a means to encourage, not to discourage.

Next, as far as being disrespectful to any team or individual, I don't know how you could infer from my post that I was not respectful and disparaged other peoples' common dignity.

Moreover, I am pretty laid back and loose, and I most definitely have a favorite team in 3A and cheer for them every time they play. I am an easy going guy, maybe a little excitable at times, though. But for the most part, easy going.
RoShamBo Wrote:I would guess his team is PT, no one else in 3A has really earned the right to downplay Central. I think this year could be a little more competitive in 3A though. Obviously Central and Tilghman are the teams to beat but I expect the East and West to be tougher next season.
Lou. Central and PT are both loaded with speed and depth. The west will come down to these 2 again.
The Contrarian Wrote:Bingo! You are correct, it was from another thread. I read that post and thought it would apply to any team in the 3A class that had lost its desire and spirit. What is wrong with that? I meant it as a means to encourage, not to discourage.

Next, as far as being disrespectful to any team or individual, I don't know how you could infer from my post that I was not respectful and disparaged other peoples' common dignity.

Moreover, I am pretty laid back and loose, and I most definitely have a favorite team in 3A and cheer for them every time they play. I am an easy going guy, maybe a little excitable at times, though. But for the most part, easy going.
By no means was I meaning that you or anybody else is being disrespectful just giving everybody a friendly reminder that these boards are not meant to disrespect anybody, heck my son is one of the top prospects in the state( I wish to remain annonomous please) And really I'm just ready to get this frickin season over with all this stuff has been very very stressful on our whole family. Thanks to everybody who posts on here.
Coachdad Wrote:By no means was I meaning that you or anybody else is being disrespectful just giving everybody a friendly reminder that these boards are not meant to disrespect anybody, heck my son is one of the top prospects in the state( I wish to remain annonomous please) And really I'm just ready to get this frickin season over with all this stuff has been very very stressful on our whole family. Thanks to everybody who posts on here.
Clarification :it's not people on here that are causing stress but this whole recruiting process, it was fun at first, now I'm just ready for it to be over. I think when the first fball is kicked off I can release a sigh of relief, my prayers go out to everyteam that all of our young men have a SAFE INJURY FREE season.
Coachdad Wrote:By no means was I meaning that you or anybody else is being disrespectful just giving everybody a friendly reminder that these boards are not meant to disrespect anybody, heck my son is one of the top prospects in the state( I wish to remain annonomous please) And really I'm just ready to get this frickin season over with all this stuff has been very very stressful on our whole family. Thanks to everybody who posts on here.

I guess I misinterpreted your previous post; believe me, I can somewhat relate to what you are going through. Quite a few years ago, I had the experience of a son being recruited by three small colleges. But that was quite a while back, and I am sure that things have changed dramatically.

Good luck to you and your son, and I sincerely hope he has a successful and injury free 2010 season
The Contrarian Wrote:I guess I misinterpreted your previous post; believe me, I can somewhat relate to what you are going through. Quite a few years ago, I had the experience of a son being recruited by three small colleges. But that was quite a while back, and I am sure that things have changed dramatically.

Good luck to you and your son, and I sincerely hope he has a successful and injury free 2010 season
Thanks man I really appriciate it my son has offers from ul uk Ill purdue & tenn , we don't have phone turned on very often & the mail is getting rather redundant. Coach Nord was selling us illinois a couple of weeks ago, I look on tv and he's now at Kentucky(what a headache). But on another note and back to the threads topic does anyone have any info on Shelbys coach Normans son Zach? the Normans are some pretty fine people and never heard of these schools till he went there. Also will some valley fans tell me how they like him as their coach.pls & thanks.
Coachdad Wrote:Thanks man I really appriciate it my son has offers from ul uk Ill purdue & tenn , we don't have phone turned on very often & the mail is getting rather redundant. Coach Nord was selling us illinois a couple of weeks ago, I look on tv and he's now at Kentucky(what a headache). But on another note and back to the threads topic does anyone have any info on Shelbys coach Normans son Zach? the Normans are some pretty fine people and never heard of these schools till he went there. Also will some valley fans tell me how they like him as their coach.pls & thanks.
Sorry wrong thread about the Normans.
i think somerset battles for 2nd or 1st place not losing many players from a tough team last yr
They did lose 16 which is a lot for Somerset but I think there are 22 seniors in this year's class which is a huge class for them, so they will have experience. I agree I think with their schedule and with what they have returning they could be at the top come playoff time.
RoShamBo Wrote:They did lose 16 which is a lot for Somerset but I think there are 22 seniors in this year's class which is a huge class for them, so they will have experience. I agree I think with their schedule and with what they have returning they could be at the top come playoff time.

Somerset could be just as good but you can't automatically presume that just because they always have good line play that they will have good line play this year. Who is going to open the holes for Derrick, and who is going to pass block for Erik?
Norm Peterson Wrote:Somerset could be just as good but you can't automatically presume that just because they always have good line play that they will have good line play this year. Who is going to open the holes for Derrick, and who is going to pass block for Erik?

I saw the Somerset Sheldon Clark semi-final last year, and what I remember about Somerset's team was the huge line, and if they do not have some super replacements, they may see some tough times going forward.

But, going forward, good programs make adjustments and I also understand that they have some very good backs returning, for example, the QB. Thus I look for Somerset to be in the 3A mix in 2010.
To prevail in 2010, Somerset will have to significantly improve its team speed and mobility, especially in the trenches.
Tica Wrote:To prevail in 2010, Somerset will have to significantly improve its team speed and mobility, especially in the trenches.

I hope everyone bases their opinion of Somerset based on just the last game of last year. Just like your boys (PT) played some very forgetable games early last year Somerset played one horrible one at the end of the year.

FWIW Somersets line shoud be MUCH quicker than last years.
Somerset had a bad game because they could not adjust to speed they had not seen before. You far outmatched Tilghman in experience, size and strength. Tilghman also was superbly conditioned and Somerset was not. Here's hoping we get to play again, but a lot of earlier games to worry about.
Tica Wrote:Somerset had a bad game because they could not adjust to speed they had not seen before. You far outmatched Tilghman in experience, size and strength. Tilghman also was superbly conditioned and Somerset was not. Here's hoping we get to play again, but a lot of earlier games to worry about.

Tilghman was definitely faster but the difference in the game was the turnovers. You can not turn the ball over 6+ times in the state championship game and expect to go home with the hardware. Defensively I felt like Somerset adjusted to Tilghman's speed just fine, they were just handing out gifts though on offense.
RoShamBo Wrote:Tilghman was definitely faster but the difference in the game was the turnovers. You can not turn the ball over 6+ times in the state championship game and expect to go home with the hardware. Defensively I felt like Somerset adjusted to Tilghman's speed just fine, they were just handing out gifts though on offense.
In theory that's right but central had six against belfry in 08 & still won the game. THE KEY IS not letting your opponent capitalize on those turnovers.
Coachdad Wrote:In theory that's right but central had six against belfry in 08 & still won the game. THE KEY IS not letting your opponent capitalize on those turnovers.
Sorry 07
Coachdad Wrote:In theory that's right but central had six against belfry in 08 & still won the game. THE KEY IS not letting your opponent capitalize on those turnovers.

Somerset did that in the first half for the most part. Had six turnovers, but were only down 7-0 on int returned for a TD early in the first quarter.

Thilghman had a very fast team, but it wasn't just speed that beat the Jumpers. They had every chance to get back in that game but just kept shooting themselves in the foot. I'm taking nothing away from the Tornados they played a very good game, I just wish we had also.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Somerset did that in the first half for the most part. Had six turnovers, but were only down 7-0 on int returned for a TD early in the first quarter.

Thilghman had a very fast team, but it wasn't just speed that beat the Jumpers. They had every chance to get back in that game but just kept shooting themselves in the foot. I'm taking nothing away from the Tornados they played a very good game, I just wish we had also.
What was the name of the legendary coach somerset had in the 80's ?
Coachdad Wrote:What was the name of the legendary coach somerset had in the 80's ?

John Cain. He led Somerset to 4 State Finals from 78-88.
Yeah sorry about that I wasn't trying to say Tilghman didn't deserve to win the game they definitely did. They fought harder and played the better game. Just saying that Somerset wasn't beaten just by speed.
Norm Peterson Wrote:John Cain. He led Somerset to 4 State Finals from 78-88.
Do you know if he has a dau named Cindy?