•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin Head Coaching Search
Rainingthrees Wrote:Apparently you haven’t watched the Patriots play the last few years, they are a top notch program and would be considered one of the best jobs in NAIA football nation wide imo.

Agreed 100%, Cumberland’s is a program on a skyrocketing rise right now and has has won 10 games each of the last 2 season and were ranked Top 10 (maybe too 5 at some point I’m not sure) in NAIA most of the season this past year. With that said I can’t see why any of their coaches would be interested in stepping back down to high school unless it was an assistant. I did however hear that Union’s old head coach may have shown interest in applying. I don’t know anything about him other than that his team got beat 98-0 by Cumberland’s this year. Not sure he would be a good fit for the program.
Rainingthrees Wrote:Apparently you haven’t watched the Patriots play the last few years, they are a top notch program and would be considered one of the best jobs in NAIA football nation wide imo.

Seen them play, know their HC and assistants, also know that they were not successful enough at the high school level to to be considered for the Corbin job. High school is different. So to answer your question would any see as much success as the previous coach or even half as much , I would say absolutely not. JMO

Corbin needs a proven State Championship competitor in their next coach or things may go bad.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Three different scenarios for discussion:

Option 1: High Ceiling, High Floor
Bring in Larry French and keep Greer as DC

Pros:
1. Stay at a Championship level in the present and immediate future with a great crop of talent already in place.
2. Years of experience.
3. Moderate excitement amongst fanbase

Cons:
1. Won't get better, two aging coaches who still can get it done right now, but for how long? No teaching these old dogs new tricks.
2. Feeder program will ultimately regress, once again, at this age these guys dont have the energy to reinvent anything.
3. Possible fanbase angst if expectations aren't met in comparison to the young Coach who got away.

Option 2: Wider High Ceiling, Wider High Floor
Bring in Shawn Thompson from Wayne County.

Pros:
1. One of the most underrated coaches in the state. Thompson consistently does more with less.

2. By contrast, Thompson is just now reaching the peak of his career and has more tread on his tires to do this longer.

3. Continued focus on the feeder system level. Thompson's feeder system helped make an average Wayne County program a consistently strong program.

*BONUS: Possibility he could bring Sloan with him?**

Cons:
1. No Championship pedigree. Thompson has only been to the Finals once despite numerous Semi-Finals appearances and doesn't have a title to his name.

2. Name will not elicit major excitement from the Hounds fanbase as he is more of a "Coach's Coach" than a meter mover.

3. The unknown. Thompson has never had the pressure, expectations, or competition he would face at Corbin.

Option 3: Highest Ceiling, Lowest Floor
Josh Jaggers of Larue County

Pros:
1. Young coach that played at UK who has made big moves in a short time. Could definitely keep the upward trajectory Haddix started continued.

2. Has "over achieved" at positions with far less resources. This would be a major upgrade in terms of talent, facilities, and feeder program for a guy who has taken teams to the Semi-Finals with far less.

3. Potential to generate excitement but also patience. With an established name comes established expectations, with Jaggers there will more of a big picture to work towards.

Cons:
1. He's not from around those parts. If he even was interested, you are hiring a guy with little to no familiarity of the area. With Corbin's unique geographical advantage this could cause a problem.

2. Much like Thompson, how will he handle the deeper waters he has never been in.

3. Will existing staffers be offended and not want to work with an outsider?

I like your post, a lot of Food for thought with scenarios. Without bashing lol.
Correct me if I’m wrong but acording to google the head guy from the Cumberland’s was only head coach for 1 yr at south laurel. Hard to be successful when you take over a program for a year that was 1-10 the season before and won 6 games in the previous 3 yrs. I don’t hold that against him a bit. His last 5 years as a head coach leading a team to the top of their division definitely outweighs the record he had at a bad program.

I’m still inclined to think the coach everyone is referring to is the guy from union but who knows. Cumberland’s coach just seems too hot right now for a high school to land him.

However just to explore the option, I think it would be an awesome fit, and is one of the more exciting names I’ve personally heard mentioned thus far. His career has a huge ceiling, kids will connect well and he is young enough to be keep up the excitement with a great feeder system. Add in that if he were to leave the a great position in the college ranks he would seem to be someone who could be around to build the program to new heights for many years to come.
Great break down bull_got_out! I like the upsides of Thompson and Jaggers. Nobody can deny the legend of Larry but I think he is too close to retirement to be a good, long term solution for the redhounds. I would love to see an energized, top quality coach who can come in and continue to develop the program but also be someone who will stick around for 10+ yrs if he is successful.
I don't think he would be a good fit in a high school program. He was on the brink of being dismissed and finally hired an OC at the Cumberlands. Now I could be wrong but IMO not what Corbin needs, but they will decide that one if he is interested. Don't think that happens> I think people are talking about an assistant at Union not the former HC.
You could be right on that pride101, I didn’t know that side of the story.
Any word on who the union assistant might be and what qualifications he may have?

The bad thing with any of these young guys is the unknown. Is the program willing to risk the unknown like they did when hiring Haddix? The program is in a better place now so there may have enough great applicants that they won’t have to take that risk this time.
A state championship is long overdue in Corbin and they have a ton of talent in the pipeline. Hopefully they choose whoever is most likely to start winning state titles now.
fansville Wrote:You could be right on that pride101, I didn’t know that side of the story.
Any word on who the union assistant might be and what qualifications he may have?

The bad thing with any of these young guys is the unknown. Is the program willing to risk the unknown like they did when hiring Haddix? The program is in a better place now so there may have enough great applicants that they won’t have to take that risk this time.
A state championship is long overdue in Corbin and they have a ton of talent in the pipeline. Hopefully they choose whoever is most likely to start winning state titles now.

I’d like to see a mixture honestly, hire someone like Tom Greer and or Larry French then bring in a couple younger guys OC / DC to take over the program in a few years when the former is ready to hang it up....Whoever it is needs to build upon the advancements Haddix brought in and put in place...
I don’t believe I mentioned any names on the “local college coach”... definitely wouldn’t want the xcoach from Union. HFBC at Cumberlands I don’t know much about...what I do know is he has done well for the last couple years, I think he would be a good hire, chances are slim he leaves the area with family in the county and the Corbin job probably pays a little more IF he can teach.

French would definitely be a “stale” hire and Greer would be close to the same, neither is a good fit for what we need right now. I hope the admin and committee realize that.

We do have the talent to progress from where we are right now but we absolutely cannot go back to “Traditional Corbin football”.

Most older people still believe Corbin football is still relevant and would love to see it return to the style that they played in the 70s or 80s that will never work.
campbellfield Wrote:I don’t believe I mentioned any names on the “local college coach”... definitely wouldn’t want the xcoach from Union. HFBC at Cumberlands I don’t know much about...what I do know is he has done well for the last couple years, I think he would be a good hire, chances are slim he leaves the area with family in the county and the Corbin job probably pays a little more IF he can teach.

French would definitely be a “stale” hire and Greer would be close to the same, neither is a good fit for what we need right now. I hope the admin and committee realize that.

We do have the talent to progress from where we are right now but we absolutely cannot go back to “Traditional Corbin football”.

Most older people still believe Corbin football is still relevant and would love to see it return to the style that they played in the 70s or 80s that will never work.

I’m not sure I see it that way, most older people understand that the game has evolved but as all older people can sometimes be are stuck in their ways more in line with discipline, uniforms, the stadium (yes it grates on me too) etc, but understand we can’t go back to the same type of offensive schemes we used to run. I’d say after the last few years under Haddix Corbin is pretty relevant again and the focus should be and I believe it is to keep us there...

I’m not sure how you consider French stale, he’s a proven winner everywhere he’s been, look no further than Middlesboro last season as an example...
French, Dudley, Chuck Smith, Haywood, Greer etc. just know how to win...
single shot Wrote:I’m not sure I see it that way, most older people understand that the game has evolved but as all older people can sometimes be are stuck in their ways more in line with discipline, uniforms, the stadium (yes it grates on me too) etc, but understand we can’t go back to the same type of offensive schemes we used to run. I’d say after the last few years under Haddix Corbin is pretty relevant again and the focus should be and I believe it is to keep us there...

I’m not sure how you consider French stale, he’s a proven winner everywhere he’s been, look no further than Middlesboro last season as an example...
French, Dudley, Chuck Smith, Haywood, Greer etc. just know how to win...

I was onboard all the way though your post then at the end you add Greer to the names you posted? Greer was 500 at best as a head coach. His name never needs to be mentioned in the same context with the others. If you start naming best coordinators I am with you. Not the same as head coach.
PRIDE101 Wrote:Greer was 500 at best as a head coach. His name never needs to be mentioned in the same context with the others. If you start naming best coordinators I am with you. Not the same as head coach.

Although I don’t think going with a coach so close to retirement is a great idea, I could not agree more with this part. Nobody doubts his excellence as a defensive coordinator but Greer’s name doesn’t belong in a head coach discussion with those legends. I honestly don’t understand why so many people on here and elsewhere keep touting him as the best option out there for the head coaching job.
What evidence or accomplishments from his many years of coaching would he would make him a great head coach fit for Corbin or even a successful head coach anywhere for that matter?
fansville Wrote:Although I don’t think going with a coach so close to retirement is a great idea, I could not agree more with this part. Nobody doubts his excellence as a defensive coordinator but Greer’s name doesn’t belong in a head coach discussion with those legends. I honestly don’t understand why so many people on here and elsewhere keep touting him as the best option out there for the head coaching job.
What evidence or accomplishments from his many years of coaching would he would make him a great head coach fit for Corbin or even a successful head coach anywhere for that matter?

probably because he was with haddix when corbin was winning and the one year he was gone they were terrible defensively .. we would love to have him back on the mountain
WhomTheBellTolls Wrote:probably because he was with haddix when corbin was winning and the one year he was gone they were terrible defensively .. we would love to have him back on the mountain

So maybe you can clear this up for some people, Greer’s .500 seasons as HC what was the talent like on the roster?
Greer was 36-16 as a head coach....2 District Titles, 1 Region Title, and a Semi Finals appearance.
IAmLegend Wrote:Greer was 36-16 as a head coach....2 District Titles, 1 Region Title, and a Semi Finals appearance.

When I looked up his coaching stats, he looked strong to me
Corbin fans.....credible information.....this job HAS been offered to a very high quality candidate. I haven't been told where this party is in the decision making process....but the job has been offered.
Bull got out! Wrote:When I looked up his coaching stats, he looked strong to me

Imo he would be a great HC with the right offensive staff around him and even if it’s just for the five or six years he would take the job for.
Some numbers from my EKY research to consider.

2014 was Haddix's first year, here is how Corbin ranked according to Calpreps:

2014- #4 in EKY, #34 in KY
2015- #8 in EKY, #59 in KY
2016- #3 in EKY, #18 in KY
2017- #1 in EKY, #13 in KY
2018- #2 in EKY, #12 in KY
2019- #10 in EKY, # 51 in KY

Average finish: #4.7 in EKY, #31.2 in KY

By contrast since 2003, Steve Jewell: #8.6 in EKY and #62.6 in KY

Jewell had (5) Top 50 finishes in 11 seasons since 2003, Haddix had (4) in six seasons.

Jewell had no Top 25 finishes in 11 seasons since 2003, Haddix had (3) in six seasons.

Not insinuating anything, just adding some stats to the discussion as a baseline for where Haddix inherited the program and where he took it and left it.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Corbin fans.....credible information.....this job HAS been offered to a very high quality candidate. I haven't been told where this party is in the decision making process....but the job has been offered.

They must have turned it down, I was told they would get a decision by yesterday afternoon
insideinfo Wrote:They must have turned it down, I was told they would get a decision by yesterday afternoon

I have been told the job was offered Monday....but no decision has been made as to accepting or declining at this point.
Committee meets tomorrow. Reviewing applicants, many are not from Corbin.
I'm surprised Robbie Lucas from Somerset has not been mentioned as a replacement for Haddix. Somerset Runs the spread and could keep players involved. May even bring a player or 2 with him. Money Talks folks, Corbin should go after the best.
JustThinking Wrote:I'm surprised Robbie Lucas from Somerset has not been mentioned as a replacement for Haddix. Somerset Runs the spread and could keep players involved. May even bring a player or 2 with him. Money Talks folks, Corbin should go after the best.

Nothing against him....but he isn’t the first choice
JustThinking Wrote:I'm surprised Robbie Lucas from Somerset has not been mentioned as a replacement for Haddix. Somerset Runs the spread and could keep players involved. May even bring a player or 2 with him. Money Talks folks, Corbin should go after the best.

Fresh off a State Title and probably will have a top 3 team each of the next 4 years coming up I bet Robbie is just sitting by the phone as we speak.
insideinfo Wrote:They must have turned it down, I was told they would get a decision by yesterday afternoon

No offer has made and resumes are yet to be reviewed.
Robbie is set at SHS, and I don't see Somerset letting him go. He loves his kids, and is getting Somerset rolling with loads of talent coming in the next 4 years, and will be a pick each year. On that note surprised knowone has went after they're DC. He's Head coach ready, solid defenses year in, year out, but don't see him leaving the Briar patch as well. Somerset coaching staff is solid.
PRIDE101 Wrote:I was onboard all the way though your post then at the end you add Greer to the names you posted? Greer was 500 at best as a head coach. His name never needs to be mentioned in the same context with the others. If you start naming best coordinators I am with you. Not the same as head coach.

He actually had a very good record as a head coach at Bell County. But he just wasn’t Coach Hilton. I’m guessing he won 70 to 75% if his games as a head coach without looking anything up.
Preston - Is the coach that knows how to beat JC is a big deal. 4 times has been to the ship. He would be the right fit for the Redhounds. Has already been toured around town and school last week. That info comes from a Redhound friend.
Mingo Wrote:Preston - Is the coach that knows how to beat JC is a big deal. 4 times has been to the ship. He would be the right fit for the Redhounds. Has already been toured around town and school last week. That info comes from a Redhound friend.
They are just trying to make it look like they are going thru the process. Everyone knows who the next coach will be. This was the plan put in place at least a yr ago.
The team will be alright, the support will be gone though. Other sports will suffer because of this. Football will take over the concession $ that was going to baseball, fishing, etc. attendance will be down as well, I know many that will not renew reserved seats or even attend games if the plan is realized. The program WAS much bigger than the people that are currently in power realize. The overwhelming majority are hurt because of this change and are finished with it or waiting to see if the right things happen.
Greer is a good coach but he should be embarrassed if he is named coach and the board should plan on not being on the board after the next election.
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next