•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.86 Average
Pikeville 2024
That is fun to think about but it’s also a tricky question. Lots of the to be Sophomores will be playing lots of varsity minutes this year so not sure I’d consider them on a JV squad anymore.
Now if you just took Pikeville’s soph class and made them into a team where in theory they could be on varsity and the Soph team as well then I think after playing a full season the Soph team could very well be the second best team in 1A.
Now I know kids can’t play both and it’s a fantasy type scenario but that’s my thoughts.
But if you just had to make a JV team out of kids that aren’t playing any valuable varsity minutes then I’d say just outside top 5. Like I said though fun to think about.
(07-03-2024, 12:55 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: That is fun to think about but it’s also a tricky question. Lots of the to be Sophomores will be playing lots of varsity minutes this year so not sure I’d consider them on a JV squad anymore.
Now if you just took Pikeville’s soph class and made them into a team where in theory they could be on varsity and the Soph team as well then I think after playing a full season the Soph team could very well be the second best team in 1A.
Now I know kids can’t play both and it’s a fantasy type scenario but that’s my thoughts.
But if you just had to make a JV team out of kids that aren’t playing any valuable varsity minutes then I’d say just outside top 5. Like I said though fun to think about.
Pikeville has plenty of great players coming along especially in the sophomore class. Several will play this year on varsity but I don’t see a world where a team of Pikeville’s freshmen and sophomores are the 2nd best team in 1A. Great group of players and kids but that’s unfair to them at this point and slightly disrespectful to some other good 1A teams like Campbellsville, Sayre, Raceland, etc. No offense because I get the high expectations but those young men need some time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belichick's post:
  • Waitaminute
What’s wrong with expectations? The way I see it is this…..you have 2 that started last year, you’ll have possibly 3 soph receivers seeing valuable time, then you’ll have 3 maybe 4 soph lineman seeing valuable time so that’s 8-9 players……then you have a stud qb so that’s almost 11. If those kids had a solid 10 game schedule then by Nov I could see them making a deep playoff run. Plus outside of the teams you mentioned 1A is very weak. Obviously those teams could and probably would beat them but maybe not. Anyway it’s irrelevant but like I said fun to discuss. Football starts this week, time to get excited!!
(07-06-2024, 01:00 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: What’s wrong with expectations? The way I see it is this…..you have 2 that started last year, you’ll have possibly 3 soph receivers seeing valuable time, then you’ll have 3 maybe 4 soph lineman seeing valuable time so that’s 8-9 players……then you have a stud qb so that’s almost 11. If those kids had a solid 10 game schedule then by Nov I could see them making a deep playoff run. Plus outside of the teams you mentioned 1A is very weak. Obviously those teams could and probably would beat them but maybe not. Anyway it’s irrelevant but like I said fun to discuss. Football starts this week, time to get excited!!
Nothing wrong with expectations because I expect big things out of the younger players from Pikeville also but besides the 2 LBs you mentioned starting, not another kid has true varsity minutes except mop up duty against weak teams. I think several of them will get some valuable experience or start this year like a couple of their sophomores who started last year. This year’s freshman and sophomores could compete but 2nd best team in 1A would still be a reach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-
"At ol' Pike High, maroon is the color of the season."
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-, Panther Thunder
Rich got richer yesterday!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gargamels's post:
  • Panther Thunder
(07-11-2024, 10:38 AM)Gargamels Wrote: Rich got richer yesterday!

How so?
I heard a player that will impact all games this year and a good looking freshman have moved into the district and enrolled. Also anybody heard how many players were out for the first day of practice???
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jelly Roll's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(07-11-2024, 07:52 PM)Jelly Roll Wrote: I heard a player that will impact all games this year and a good looking freshman have moved into the district and enrolled. Also anybody heard how many players were out for the first day of practice???

Must be a heck of a player with how loaded Pikeville is. Come on guys give us details! Don't make us wait to get it from D&D Sports lol...
  • Big Five-0-
Anyone know who Pikeville will be scrimmaging?
(07-11-2024, 07:52 PM)Jelly Roll Wrote: I heard a player that will impact all games this year and a good looking freshman have moved into the district and enrolled. Also anybody heard how many players were out for the first day of practice???
I think there were like 57 players on last season's roster. Should be that much or more this season.

(07-11-2024, 11:22 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Must be a heck of a player with how loaded Pikeville is. Come on guys give us details! Don't make us wait to get it from D&D Sports lol...
Exactly. Share the news!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • jetpilot
I heard about 80 players yesterday and they got a few new ones for sure don’t think they will impact this years team but one never knows. Heard one is from Georgia and said he looks like he is going to be a dandy plus a couple of big guys to stabilize the line play for the next few years. Now I haven’t seen them but heard that. Yes Jet the maroon is going to be tuff the next few years
[-] The following 2 users Like Patriot1's post:
  • Big Five-0-, jetpilot
(07-11-2024, 11:22 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Anyone know who Pikeville will be scrimmaging?

Breathitt County & Floyd Central
[-] The following 1 user Likes Panther Thunder's post:
  • jetpilot
(07-11-2024, 11:50 PM)Panther Thunder Wrote:
(07-11-2024, 11:22 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Anyone know who Pikeville will be scrimmaging?

Breathitt County & Floyd Central

Thank you sir!
Where n when is those scrimmages?
(07-11-2024, 11:41 PM)Patriot1 Wrote: I heard about 80 players yesterday and they got a few new ones for sure don’t think they will impact this years team but one never knows. Heard one is from Georgia and said he looks like he is going to be a dandy plus a couple of big guys to stabilize the line play for the next few years. Now I haven’t seen them but heard that. Yes Jet the maroon is going to be tuff the next few years
Wow! Thats getting up to 3-A and 4-A numbers.
Is Pikevilles freshman class loaded with numbers? Close to 80 kids…there’s only 43 currently on KHSAA. But Freshman are not listed yet.
I wasn't there but it was first day for Jr High also. May have had grades 7-12 all on the field at the same time.
Pikeville's Kicking game just got even better with one of the top Kickers in State joining the Panthers. He'll be a Sophomore this coming Season. Transferred from Pike Central. As far as the Kid from GA, I heard he will be playing WR and is 6'3-6'4. Great Athlete who will also be a really nice Basketball player. Not sure on the 3rd Player who enrolled but I believe he is on the Defensive side and came from Shelby Valley.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fanatic42's post:
  • Westside
(07-13-2024, 01:58 AM)jetpilot Wrote: I wasn't there but it was first day for Jr High also. May have had grades 7-12 all on the field at the same time.

that makes more sense lol. Not disputing the draw that is Pikeville Panther Football, but I didn’t think Pikeville had 30 kids in the 8th grade class last year.
I wasn’t there but that is probably true and the middle school kids where there also I didn’t ask really just asked about the numbers
Word I got on numbers is it will end up somewhere around 80 total when a few that’s away get on the field. They have a large freshman class, a few transfers and some kids out that didn’t play last year. The kicker is the kid I was referring to that would help this year. He will really improve the kicking game with some quality coaching on top of a really good leg. The JR high teams numbers should be in the 30’s.
I’m not sure exactly how big the entering Fresh class is but it’s def got decent numbers and I think they’ve added a few new Fresh as well. And I can confirm what Jelly said with quite a few new kids in all they other classes have decided to play this year adding a few more kids per class. Then there is also a couple upper class transfers. I was told the same numbers wise just for the high school that it appears they’ll be in the upper 70’s possibly touching 80’s. Now I could def see a few of those newbies just testing the waters and then backing out too.
Who knows what that number will be when the first game at Corbin rolls around mid August.
I’ve also heard that the middle school team has a chance to be pretty good as well and they appeared to have really solid numbers as well.
I don’t think Pikeville will have 80 players and pump the brakes on the expectations for the transfers. Pikeville will be really good but the returning players are the best they have. Transfers or freshmen aren’t making a huge impact. They’re already loaded.
I disagree the kicker will definitely make an impact and who knows with the kid from Georgia. Any idea who the other transfers are and how many have enrolled?
Don't doubt the kicker is good but Pikeville kicking game was pretty good last year with Looney kicking and Caudill punting. And it's true Pikeville is already loaded for bear so anything transfers contribute will just be some additional icing on the cake...welcome, the more the merrier!
Any connection in Belfry’s numbers dropping them down to 2A in the next alignment and the increase of Pikevilles numbers? I feel like I don’t have to say this now, but no I am not claiming foul play. These schools are in the same county and it happens all the time. Both in student numbers and quality of said students as atheletes, schools that are close in proximity often fluctuate like this. I was just curious if there has been a big jump in kids that were going to Belfry years ago are now going to Pikeville, Pike Central, etc. It happened in our neck of the woods with kids from other county schools going to Raceland. Not to the same affect, but a similar situation for sure.
This is for sure the case. The road between Belfry and Pikeville is much easier to travel than it was 20 years ago. I know of 5-6 kids that are at Pikeville that started in the Belfry system plus a kid that had an older brother that was the QB for Belfry that when his Freshman year rolled around he enrolled at Pikeville over going to Belfry.
Also yes Belfry used to get a few kids from the Pike Central district who were big football kids and didn’t want to go to Pike Central for high school, now the bulk of those type kids have came to Pikeville. Plus Pikeville will always get a kid or two from the Shelby Valley area and then a few kids from the bordering Floyd Co area. So all those factors have resulted in quite a big uptick in the Panthers roster size. Plus winning sure helps the draw and I don’t see the possibilities of stacking titles slowing down in the near future for PHS.
Pikeville having excellent sports programs all around and being one of the top academic schools in the state factor into the big draw as well.
  • Big Five-0-
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next