Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Somerset
49.25%
Perry County Central
50.75%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset @ Perry Central 10/28
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:At least its original like Corbins.
Teams seriously use certain animals way to much.
If i for one was a consolidating school, id want something noone else has.
Panthers, Lions, Tigers, wildcats are some examples that there are 5 million of a piece.

And one of the Somerset poster posted a thing one time explaining why there are named the briar jumpers, maybe it was norm, i dont remember, but it was a pretty cool story.

I would want to be "The Cherokee"
What the heck is a Commodore? I heard it was used to describe a certain type of effeminate military officer before they rescinded "don't ask, don't tell".
Aslan Wrote:Perry Central should be the Wolfpack or Navajos.

The old Dilce Combers wouldn't agree to the Navaho's. Maybe you could consolidate it and call them the Pantherho's.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:At least its original like Corbins.
Teams seriously use certain animals way to much.
If i for one was a consolidating school, id want something noone else has.
Panthers, Lions, Tigers, wildcats are some examples that there are 5 million of a piece.

And one of the Somerset poster posted a thing one time explaining why there are named the briar jumpers, maybe it was norm, i dont remember, but it was a pretty cool story.

I found it again. I think they think this is the first time we have ever heard 'Briar Jumper' jokes. :biglmao:

RoShamBo Wrote:This is a pretty good story so I thought I'd share. This is a small part of the Somerset football story from the Somerset fall sports program:

Somerset Briar Jumpers, THIS IS OUR "FOOTBALL LEGEND"

The Somerset High School Team that took the field on that Saturday in October 1916, was optimistic, even though they had been greeted by 700 fans of the Louisville High School, with accompanying good nature jeers and shouted predictions of the gruesome fate they were going to encounter. The Louisville Boys High School had established an impressive record and was predicted to win the game by several touchdowns. Much to blue-clad Louisville's surprise, that purple and gold Somerset team showed NO MERCY. When the last play had been played, and that last whistle sounded, the score board displayed the unbelievable score of SOMERSET 51, LOUISVILLE 6. The tale of that days events were fully described in Louisville papers for days to come. The story, told in simple terms, is that a certain young man by the name of "Gooch", a sorrel topped mountaineer by the name of "Roberts", and a fully mature Irishman by the name of "McMillan" created high school football history on the banks of the Ohio. Louisville sportswriters were knocking themselves out trying to describe the drubbing that was perpetrated. One writer, Mr. Johnny Head, who had fully recovered from the shock, was frantically searching for some previous occurrence with which to compare the extraordinary athletic speed and skill used to evade Louisville tacklers. That is when he remembered the story of Uncle Remus, the briar patch, and the elusive ways the Somerset team had of getting around or evading, obstructions. He also remembered the expression "Bawn and bred in de briar patch". Immediately he christened the Somerset team "Briar Jumpers" because they too were quick, swift-footed, masters of evading obstructions - and "Briar Jumpers" at home in their "Briar Patch" it has been ever since.

So, biggest win in school history in my opinion. Without this game, no Briar Jumpers. If anyone wants the complete story PM me. This also came a short time later:

Somerset Alumnus Bo McMillan quarterbacked the "Praying Colonels" in the greatest upset in college football history. In 1921, Centre College defeated Harvard 6-0 before 60,000 people at Harvard Stadium. Mighty Harvard had not lost a game in 5 seasons. McMillan scored a second half touchdown to make him the toast of "All America."
Whatever happened to the Fletcher kid that was a running back in the eighties for Somerset. He was one of the quickest people I have seen play football.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Whatever happened to the Fletcher kid that was a running back in the eighties for Somerset. He was one of the quickest people I have seen play football.

James Fletcher? Norm would know better than I would.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Whatever happened to the Fletcher kid that was a running back in the eighties for Somerset. He was one of the quickest people I have seen play football.

Don't ask zaga....
He only knows about em recently lol
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:im just glad im being left alone for 2 or 3 days lol....

I knew you couldnt stay away. Now we just need Zaga back and things will be fun again.

All these Letcher folks that already took there whipping are jumping on the Somerset bandwagon. Haters all around.
Here comes Peter Cotton tail hoppin down the mountain park way.
Who was talking about PCC fans being as bad as Highlands? Have you seen the running clock thread???? WOW
Its one thing to be confident, but they are now predicting a running clock the rest of the season!

RoShamBo Wrote:James Fletcher? Norm would know better than I would.

He got into some trouble in the spring semester of his senior year and either barely graduated or didn't graduate on time. That kept him from playing anywhere big in college. He went to Union College for a year or two and dropped out. Last I heard he had been in and out of jail and lives in Wayne County. To this day he was the best high school running back that I got to see play in person.
^ Hate when that happens. Sad to say but its happens all to often in Eastern Ky. Most of the time drugs play some kind of role in the situation.
RoShamBo Wrote:I found it again. I think they think this is the first time we have ever heard 'Briar Jumper' jokes. :biglmao:

thanks Ro, i knew i had remebered seeing it.
good story.

I also remember a post at some point on here about all the schools in KY and what there mascots was.
That was pretty cool as well.
Ballers Wrote:^Just looks like a freakin' bunny rabbit to me.
So the Briar Jumpers are the Eastern Kentucky Easter Bunnys then?

That's what these guys thought as well!!! Doesn't work out too well for them.... Enjoy!!!

PEOPLESCHAMP Wrote:I knew you couldnt stay away. Now we just need Zaga back and things will be fun again.

All these Letcher folks that already took there whipping are jumping on the Somerset bandwagon. Haters all around.

You must be smoking or snorting some of George's Branch finest as if you would have paid closer attention, I picked Perry Central to win in a close one.
Georges Branches SECOND mention now
Yeah but by the same guy. I grew up in the branch, I know hes not man enough to walk up there after dark.
BTW, you can only get dirt weed in the branch. No kind bud around that place.
ole_blue_sack_15 Wrote:didnt see you there?

I was hiding behind a giant turtle if ya kno what im saying.
dore20 Wrote:I was hiding behind a giant turtle if ya kno what im saying.

LoL Confusednicker: Its true
PEOPLESCHAMP Wrote:Yeah but by the same guy. I grew up in the branch, I know hes not man enough to walk up there after dark.

I have been there after dark a few times due to the Coyote nights at the Big I. There was nothing intimidating or fearful. I actually know some good people who live there. The only time you need to fear someone from Georges Branch is if you mess with their pot, their pill bottles, or if you mess with their check that comes at the first of the month. I have also been to Saul after dark, Hooterville after dark, and about every other so called tough neighborhood in Perry County. The only neighborhoods that ever intimidated me were some in Louisville.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I have been there after dark a few times due to the Coyote nights at the Big I. There was nothing intimidating or fearful. I actually know some good people who live there. The only time you need to fear someone from Georges Branch is if you mess with their pot, their pill bottles, or if you mess with their check that comes at the first of the month. I have also been to Saul after dark, Hooterville after dark, and about every other so called tough neighborhood in Perry County. The only neighborhoods that ever intimidated me were some in Louisville.

Since when was Saul or Hooterville suppose to be intimidating? And im sorry but the Branch is a joke. Nothing but a bunch of redneck wanna be mma fighters who think they are tough but really just give every one else a reason to feel better about themselves.
dore20 Wrote:Since when was Saul or Hooterville suppose to be intimidating? And im sorry but the Branch is a joke. Nothing but a bunch of redneck wanna be mma fighters who think they are tough but really just give every one else a reason to feel better about themselves.

I would have to agree. LOL.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I have been there after dark a few times due to the Coyote nights at the Big I. There was nothing intimidating or fearful. I actually know some good people who live there. The only time you need to fear someone from Georges Branch is if you mess with their pot, their pill bottles, or if you mess with their check that comes at the first of the month. I have also been to Saul after dark, Hooterville after dark, and about every other so called tough neighborhood in Perry County. The only neighborhoods that ever intimidated me were some in Louisville.

I applaud your bravery for being there after dark, but my question is, WHY the hell where you there!?!?
Any injuries that may affect on the teams this Friday?
Twitter: @tc_analytics

The direction of this thread is stupid. This game means NOTHING!
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Any injuries that may affect on the teams this Friday?

Perry has 2 d-linemen who may be injured, i'm not sure of the extent but I know they were hurt during the Harlan County game last week.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Any injuries that may affect on the teams this Friday?

We lost Tevin Slaughter for the season against Lexington Christian. That hurts but the D line should be fine. Where he will be missed most is in the backfield.
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next