•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 21 - Johnson Central 13
redleg Wrote:The drive with the fake punt was an important one in the minds of the pirates in more ways than one. If i'm not mistaken that was the first drive they've had all year wher they have been down. Great to see the Pirates answer right back.

Yep, 7-6 JC was the frst time Belfry had trailed. Last year the Pirates did not trail until the state finals game.
We have discussed at length about the two point conversion and about the squib kicks, but I want to bring up the decisions/plays that put Belfry in position to win this game.

1. First Half, 6-0 Belfry, JC has their first drive of the game going. The Eagles have it inside the Belfry 20 and are facing 4th and 1. Eagles choose to go for it and Belfry Freshman LB Gary Runyon, playing in place of another Freshman LB, makes a big stop to stonewall the runner. This secured a 6-0 lead heading into the half for Belfry.

2. 7-6 JC, Belfry driving, Belfry SR QB Andrew Elkins (remember who I say here) makes a costly mistake on a 3rd and 2 by making the wrong read on the option and choosing instead to pitch the ball for a 2 yard loss. Facing 4th and 4 Belfry converts the fake punt.

3. Same drive, Belfry punches in the TD and hold a 12-7 lead and Phillip Haywood makes his second gutsy call of the game. Belfry goes for two. Belfry runs the option again and this time Ivan Lee is stonewalled at the L.O.S., so Elkins pulls the ball out, makes the DE collapse, and pitches it to Varney. This time the PERFECT read as Varney walks into the endzone untouched. Now JC has to convert after the TD regardless if it is 1 or 2.
Also lost in all of this are:

-Thomas Varney: The kid entered leading the state in yards per carry and JC shut him down, so how does Thomas respond? He plays fantastic coverage, he has three consecutive punts that pin JC inside the 20, including two inside the 10\, and on the game clinching drive he has the key run to set up the TD. Resilient effort by Belfry's X-Factor.

-Ian Welch- JC would have had no shot in this game without Welch. Not only with his receiving skills and his circus catches in traffic which helped set up one of JC's scores. But how many times did this kid save the big play when Belfry's backs got in the second level? He also was key in shutting down Belfry's outside runing game. Truly one of the elite players in EKY.

And of course:
-CHARLIE DOTSON- Wow! What can I say? Belfry's FB/MLB played out of his head tonight. The Pirates constantly rode Dotson right up the gut behind JR Center Chancey Cisco and he constantly made key run after key run. When Belfry is successful on the FB dive and when Belfry is getting over 3 yards a play on 1st Down they are very tough to beat. Additionally, Dotson was all over the place on defense as he always is.
Belfry0304 Wrote:How were they flat? They were jumping and trying to get crowd noise... I consider that pumped.

Leave the cheering to the cheerleaders, make a big play on the field and that will pump the crowd up!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Also lost in all of this are:

-Thomas Varney: The kid entered leading the state in yards per carry and JC shut him down, so how does Thomas respond? He plays fantastic coverage, he has three consecutive punts that pin JC inside the 20, including two inside the 10\, and on the game clinching drive he has the key run to set up the TD. Resilient effort by Belfry's X-Factor.

-Ian Welch- JC would have had no shot in this game without Welch. Not only with his receiving skills and his circus catches in traffic which helped set up one of JC's scores. But how many times did this kid save the big play when Belfry's backs got in the second level? He also was key in shutting down Belfry's outside runing game. Truly one of the elite players in EKY.

And of course:
-CHARLIE DOTSON- Wow! What can I say? Belfry's FB/MLB played out of his head tonight. The Pirates constantly rode Dotson right up the gut behind JR Center Chancey Cisco and he constantly made key run after key run. When Belfry is successful on the FB dive and when Belfry is getting over 3 yards a play on 1st Down they are very tough to beat. Additionally, Dotson was all over the place on defense as he always is.
Hey EKU, wondered where you had been. Great analysis as always. Spot on about Andrew. Any time that we say a kid made a mistake, we always try to balance that out when they make up for it, and he certainly did.
the hammer Wrote:ya belfry but how beat up are they and how is your Q B,today?

Our QB should be beat up after such a malicous late hit on him and after lighting up Welch on one of the final drives which he got a stinger on. Also, you get beat up when you play QB and make option reads like the two point conversion that he drew the DE perfectly and made the pitch.

I know it's hard to accept Belfry just beat JC straight up after some of your predictions, but come on man! You're better than that!
bucslover68 Wrote:Hey EKU, wondered where you had been. Great analysis as always. Spot on about Andrew. Any time that we say a kid made a mistake, we always try to balance that out when they make up for it, and he certainly did.

Had some frineds in town and tickets to Rodney Atkins last night at Wild Bill's here in ATL...we were 30 minutes late for the concert, but I got to hear the game HAHA
This was a GREAT game to watch!! Best game in the state, IMO. Belfry is the team to beat this year!! They are very good. It was a little scary though when Belfry fumbled it the JC there at the end. But the defense stepped up and took care of them!!! I also thought it was dumb how JC was trying short throws and runs to get a TD. But oh well!! Belfry won!! Congrats!!!
MonsterMan Wrote:I am a JC fan and proud of them. Hats off to Belfry tonight, they came in and took care of business. This series should be a classic for many years.

Belfry played a JC team tonight that was not as sharp or played as well as they have all year. Belfry had several weeks of easy games and was prepared. The JC game with Ashland just had the Eagle drianed and they did not show up ro play unitl the second half. You can not do that against Belfry. No excuses. If Belfry does not get the fake punt, this game goes another way, great call.

I am one of the few that thinks this game was great for both teams. It was a playoff game atmosphere and it can only help get both teams get ready for the playoff. Haywood said on Sports Overtime that Belfry needed a game like this to get tested. After bragging some today, the game means nothing, each team must prepare for the playoffs. I would love to go down and see both teams on the carpet! Belfry fans be advised, JC fans are some of the best fans you have in Louisville and will always root hard for the Pirates.

I think both teams should be congratulated on having the guts to play each other and put it on the line. Belfry was the better team tonight. Now lets both go take care of buisness and see you on the carpet! Mountian Football is awesome!

I do not mean to offend you when i say this because you have been great on ehre this past week and even in defeat you show class, but I disagree throroughly with the core of this post.

JC was flat because for once they played a team just as good if not better than them. belfry was just as fast, just as strong up front, and very disciplined. When you are better than someone you loo like you play better. Why was Belfry "flat" when they played Louisivlle Central last year in the Finals? Was it because Central had an easy playoff run while Belfry had to battle through the heavily waited 3A Eastern Semi run? Or was it because Belfry was slightly overconfident and when they meta team who punched them in the mouth and did things others have it caused trouble?

Belfry's easy schedule had them prepared? According to the entire state of Kentucky Belfry's easy schedule is why they would lose! JC was able to lock it up on cruise control, that game did not take anything out of their tank. If anything caused JC not to show up it was the fact they have not played in a game this big, whereas these Pirates have that advantage just like I said leading up to this game. JC came out tight, Belfry came out poised.

I agree that the fake punt amde the difference in the game, but Belfry also wasted made their own errors. Prior to that fake Elkins made an incorrect read that cost them an easy first down. In the first half Belfry would have went up 2 scores if not for a false start afollowed by a questionable play call on 2nd Down.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I do not mean to offend you when i say this because you have been great on ehre this past week and even in defeat you show class, but I disagree throroughly with the core of this post.

JC was flat because for once they played a team just as good if not better than them. belfry was just as fast, just as strong up front, and very disciplined. When you are better than someone you loo like you play better. Why was Belfry "flat" when they played Louisivlle Central last year in the Finals? Was it because Central had an easy playoff run while Belfry had to battle through the heavily waited 3A Eastern Semi run? Or was it because Belfry was slightly overconfident and when they meta team who punched them in the mouth and did things others have it caused trouble?

Belfry's easy schedule had them prepared? According to the entire state of Kentucky Belfry's easy schedule is why they would lose! JC was able to lock it up on cruise control, that game did not take anything out of their tank. If anything caused JC not to show up it was the fact they have not played in a game this big, whereas these Pirates have that advantage just like I said leading up to this game. JC came out tight, Belfry came out poised.

I agree that the fake punt amde the difference in the game, but Belfry also wasted made their own errors. Prior to that fake Elkins made an incorrect read that cost them an easy first down. In the first half Belfry would have went up 2 scores if not for a false start afollowed by a questionable play call on 2nd Down.
I think both of these posts have some great content. Belfry should have never tried to go outside because they were having so much success up the gut. The drive killing penalty really worried me, but Belfry survived. After two years of competing, there is not a lot of difference in the two teams. Belfry is quicker with a lot more overall speed and JC has Welch who just continues to amaze me.
I don't think I have to say a word in this one, When I made my honest prediction I predicted Belfry by a td. Congrats pirates!!Wink
I also predicted the Pirates by a TD and was glad to see them clip the wings of the those EAGLES, maybe this will humble them a bit. Big Grin
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I do not mean to offend you when i say this because you have been great on ehre this past week and even in defeat you show class, but I disagree throroughly with the core of this post.

I can not argue with most of your post. I hope this game will bring JC down to earth and get thier minds back on taking care of business. I think this game will be the best thing to happen to JC as it showed where thier weakness are and what they will have to do to beat a good tough team. They needed a game like this to test them before playoffs. I agree too that Belfry's kids being on the carpet on a regular basis gives them an edge in a tight game. We love Matney at JC, but Haywood is the dean of classy coaches in the state, he coached a great game. Remember, JC was the doormat of the mountins for many years and since Matney has arrived we are able to play with not only the best in the mountins, but the best in the state. Give us some time. Games like these and playing tough teams is what builds tradition. Look for a different team in the playoffs. I hate to slam Bell Co here, but this is why they fold in the playoffs most of the time, not enough tough games. Getting beat by a former and future state champ is not all bad, Good Luck Pirates!
My Keys:

1. When the yards need to be gained; Belfry gained them, JC did not.
2. Matney was outcoached.
3. Belfry's D came to play.

Not related to the game, but on the post-game on the JC station I have never heard so many excuses.

*They couldn't get up two weeks in a row. -Championship teams can.
*Well when Matney came to JC it was about a State Championship. This game has nothing to do with that. -It had something to do with Belfry's aspirations?
*Belfry didn't have to play a tough game last week (West Carter) -JC did? (Ashland)
*JC was just flat all night and didn't get to their "peak". -That is what happens when you play a defense that doesn't give up 500 yards on the ground. It's a lot easier to get "pumped" when you're up by 50.

BTW where on earth are the 5A Rush defense's hiding? Someone should tell them it's ok to come to the field friday nights.

This was a great game to watch, and the better team won. Don't make any excuses. Good Luck to both teams in the playoffs.
see now i argued with a boy all night last night at work that belfry was going to win, looks like it was a tight game though, congratulations.
bucslover68 Wrote:That may have been true. I was nine and remember the fight after thefield goal was called no good, but the other poster made it sound like you had to fight your way out of Vipperman everytime. That is just wrong and stuff like that should not be put on here IMO. BTW, the game was in 76 at Belfry and the Pirates won, 14-13.

What happend?
wow, congrats belfry
MonsterMan Wrote:I can not argue with most of your post. I hope this game will bring JC down to earth and get thier minds back on taking care of business. I think this game will be the best thing to happen to JC as it showed where thier weakness are and what they will have to do to beat a good tough team. They needed a game like this to test them before playoffs. I agree too that Belfry's kids being on the carpet on a regular basis gives them an edge in a tight game. We love Matney at JC, but Haywood is the dean of classy coaches in the state, he coached a great game. Remember, JC was the doormat of the mountins for many years and since Matney has arrived we are able to play with not only the best in the mountins, but the best in the state. Give us some time. Games like these and playing tough teams is what builds tradition. Look for a different team in the playoffs. I hate to slam Bell Co here, but this is why they fold in the playoffs most of the time, not enough tough games. Getting beat by a former and future state champ is not all bad, Good Luck Pirates!

This is a great, great series for both of these teams and all of EKY. Even with Beechwood vs.NewCath and Highlands vs. Central, THIS was the premier game in the state last night.

JC has a wonderful team, better than last year, and on par with the team from two years ago. The Eagles now know exactly what they have to improve, and what kind of emotional level they will need to contend for a State Title. Games like this can only help a team if used properly.I know I am pulling for the Eagles!
This was a good game. The outcome was not want most wanted. But the one thing I can say is that I am glad no one was injured right before playoffs. I just hope that everyone can stay healthy!
For both teams, move on and worry about getting to the carpet. That's what it is really about from this point on.
does anyone know any stats on this game?
belfryrocks Wrote:What happend?

In 1976, Belfry led JC 14-13 and Central had a game-winning field goal attempt. It was very close, but ruled no good. Some people say it was good, others say it just missed. Anyway, a fight broke out after the miss, and mayhem ensued.
bucslover68 Wrote:A question for the Belfry fans. When was the last time a freshman started a game for BHS? Gary Runyon did a great job in the middle, and he has a great future. Hopefully, Shane Blackburn, a sophomore, will get back in the lineup for the playofsf at middle linebacker.

Tpx_Slugger Wrote:does anyone know any stats on this game?

These are unofficial, but close.
Central total offense-282
Rushing 199
Passing 83

Nathan Dillon-75 yards
Chase Richardson 59 yards

Belfry total offense-216
Rushing 216

Charlie Dotson-96 yards
Ivan Lee 69 yards
Thomas Varney 50 plus yards

Belfry had no passing attempts
JC 5-13
Welch 4 catches

Belfry holds JC to less than half their rushing yardage.
JC holds Belfry to about 100 plus less than their average.
Leonidas Wrote:2001

Thanks for the answer. Who started for Belfry in 2001?
bucslover68 Wrote:Thanks for the answer. Who started for Belfry in 2001?

If i not mistaken I think Charlie Dotson started against Ironton in 2005
Belfry's team answered so many questions last night.
1. Can we play hard for 48 minutes? YES
2. Can we play from behind without panicking? YES
3. Can we handle a hostile crowd? YES
4. Can we handle a much larger team? YES

*****YES WE CAN*****YES WE CAN*****.......AND YES WE DID!!!!!
Would you say that the most discipline team won this one? Hard to beat a greeat coach at his game.
Pond Creek Wrote:Belfry's team answered so many questions last night.
1. Can we play hard for 48 minutes? YES
2. Can we play from behind without panicking? YES
3. Can we handle a hostile crowd? YES
4. Can we handle a much larger team? YES

*****YES WE CAN*****YES WE CAN*****.......AND YES WE DID!!!!!

From the looks of it, I thought that Belfry had the bigger team.
To EKU:If you will P.M. me your address,I will make a copy of the game when I get it and mail it to you. Its the least I could do for all your insightful comments.To All The J.C. fans and team Great Game! I for one had a great time and appreciate the hospitality. Wonderful atmosphere and those grilled burgers were awesome.You guys have a great team.To My Pirates:Absolutely Outstanding performance. Probably the best I have seen in a long time.You guys had more heart than even I imagined and I am so proud of all you guys.Both lines should have been players of the game.
cobra67 Wrote:To EKU:If you will P.M. me your address,I will make a copy of the game when I get it and mail it to you. Its the least I could do for all your insightful comments.To All The J.C. fans and team Great Game! I for one had a great time and appreciate the hospitality. Wonderful atmosphere and those grilled burgers were awesome.You guys have a great team.To My Pirates:Absolutely Outstanding performance. Probably the best I have seen in a long time.You guys had more heart than even I imagined and I am so proud of all you guys.Both lines should have been players of the game.

You would know you would find the free food... LOLOL....... come on out Friday night and get ya some good ole' Belfry Pirate Tailgate food... You know I'll feed you and the "Iron chef" will feed the little woman!! Big Grin

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next