•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 21 - Johnson Central 13
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Well, sort of a disclaimer here, but I was sort of right the first time. The game was played in '76 , but it was the '77 graduating year. I kinda knew what I meant.Smile

You are correct.
I am a JC fan and proud of them. Hats off to Belfry tonight, they came in and took care of business. This series should be a classic for many years.

Belfry played a JC team tonight that was not as sharp or played as well as they have all year. Belfry had several weeks of easy games and was prepared. The JC game with Ashland just had the Eagle drianed and they did not show up ro play unitl the second half. You can not do that against Belfry. No excuses. If Belfry does not get the fake punt, this game goes another way, great call.

I am one of the few that thinks this game was great for both teams. It was a playoff game atmosphere and it can only help get both teams get ready for the playoff. Haywood said on Sports Overtime that Belfry needed a game like this to get tested. After bragging some today, the game means nothing, each team must prepare for the playoffs. I would love to go down and see both teams on the carpet! Belfry fans be advised, JC fans are some of the best fans you have in Louisville and will always root hard for the Pirates.

I think both teams should be congratulated on having the guts to play each other and put it on the line. Belfry was the better team tonight. Now lets both go take care of buisness and see you on the carpet! Mountian Football is awesome!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Belfry is for real! Went to the game and really enjoyed it, even during the tsunami that came through. I don't believe that Belfry threw the ball one time tonight as they just managed the clock the entire game and what can you say, Ivan Lee & Charlie Dotson are men amongst boys.

Congrats Belfry!

I know Western Kentucky is recruiting Ivan Lee pretty hard. I hope he decides to come out west and play.
~Pirates Pack a Punch~ Wrote:How old are you? IMO Belfry fans have always been a class act...now trustme, we have been treated very poorly in many places...:letsparty

I'm 28. I graduated from SC in 99. Played at morehead with a couple guys from Belfry, Micah and Harmon. Had a roomate and a fraternity brother from Belfry too. Don't have anything against Belfry but it was a rough place to play. Especially when we beat them in the regional championship. A group of Belfry fans started shaking our fan bus. Pretty funny stuff when i think about it now. The old stadium was just set up for a hostile atmosphere too. Your back to the home fans. Doesn't get much more intimidating than that.
adopted purple Wrote:I know Western Kentucky is recruiting Ivan Lee pretty hard. I hope he decides to come out west and play.

Ivan is a heck of a football player and a great student. WKU would be nice. I was born in BG back in 68 and all my family is from that region. My now-deceased grandparents lived in BG for many years.
LMAO The fake punt didn't surprise me, in fact a buddy of mine called it in the stands!
~Pirates Pack a Punch~ Wrote:My son was a sophomore on the line and in the middle school, he had never beat JC...that was something psychological that he had to over come not to mention the big guy that he had to block! I am just thankful that no one was hurt and for the most part the game was played with heart!

I psyched your poor son out all day at school. You should've seen the big sheet of paper I wrote pretty much saying "Can you handle them?" to fire him up, and everytime I passed him in the hallway I'd say "There's that guard that ain't ready!" or something of that matter. It was great to see him fired up, and he was doing great. My dad walked onto the sidelines when he was sitting on the bench fixing his shoe and he was zoned in.

He's gotten quick, I can't wait to see him his senior year! It's hard to believe 4 school years ago at Runyon I was playing beside him, haha.
MonsterMan Wrote:I am a JC fan and proud of them. Hats off to Belfry tonight, they came in and took care of business. This series should be a classic for many years.

Belfry played a JC team tonight that was not as sharp or played as well as they have all year. Belfry had several weeks of easy games and was prepared. The JC game with Ashland just had the Eagle drianed and they did not show up ro play unitl the second half. You can not do that against Belfry. No excuses. If Belfry does not get the fake punt, this game goes another way, great call.

I am one of the few that thinks this game was great for both teams. It was a playoff game atmosphere and it can only help get both teams get ready for the playoff. Haywood said on Sports Overtime that Belfry needed a game like this to get tested. After bragging some today, the game means nothing, each team must prepare for the playoffs. I would love to go down and see both teams on the carpet! Belfry fans be advised, JC fans are some of the best fans you have in Louisville and will always root hard for the Pirates.

I think both teams should be congratulated on having the guts to play each other and put it on the line. Belfry was the better team tonight. Now lets both go take care of buisness and see you on the carpet! Mountian Football is awesome!

Thanks and backatcha!
I don't see Belfry losing any games this year. I think JC saw a true state champion last night. Go Pirates!!!
Belfry0304 Wrote:I psyched your poor son out all day at school. You should've seen the big sheet of paper I wrote pretty much saying "Can you handle them?" to fire him up, and everytime I passed him in the hallway I'd say "There's that guard that ain't ready!" or something of that matter. It was great to see him fired up, and he was doing great. My dad walked onto the sidelines when he was sitting on the bench fixing his shoe and he was zoned in.

He's gotten quick, I can't wait to see him his senior year! It's hard to believe 4 school years ago at Runyon I was playing beside him, haha.
Awwwww...*tears*...I love ya bub...this is the reason this team works! Family-like atmosphere!
adopted purple Wrote:I don't see Belfry losing any games this year. I think JC saw a true state champion last night. Go Pirates!!!
[B]Thanks Purp![/B]
~Pirates Pack a Punch~ Wrote:Awwwww...*tears*...I love ya bub...this is the reason this team works! Family-like atmosphere!

We might as well be a family. Me, Nathan, and Cameron have been like brothers for years.

Another thing, The Belfry Crowd was dead on our side except for my group of four. We got it going over there, but man does Brenda Phillips get a crowd screaming for the Pirates.
Matman Wrote:I'm 28. I graduated from SC in 99. Played at morehead with a couple guys from Belfry, Micah and Harmon. Had a roomate and a fraternity brother from Belfry too. Don't have anything against Belfry but it was a rough place to play. Especially when we beat them in the regional championship. A group of Belfry fans started shaking our fan bus. Pretty funny stuff when i think about it now. The old stadium was just set up for a hostile atmosphere too. Your back to the home fans. Doesn't get much more intimidating than that.
Smile ...sat with Micah last night...
I will admit I picked J.C. to win this game. Huge win for Belfry at J.C.!
It seems hard to predict anyone on this end challenging them after this.
Alot of fans have said that central was flat tonight, but I think it has more to do with the team they played than the fans want to admit. If you can't get fired up at home on senior night for a team you've never beat, what can fire you up. Not trying to flame, but in my opinion both teams played hard last night and for last night they were the better team
Belfry0304 Wrote:We might as well be a family. Me, Nathan, and Cameron have been like brothers for years.

Another thing, The Belfry Crowd was dead on our side except for my group of four. We got it going over there, but man does Brenda Phillips get a crowd screaming for the Pirates.
Yes, you guys are like brothers and are more like brothers than most brothers!!
My side of the crowd wasn't dead baby...I am sure that everyone near and far dreamed of my whoop...lol...and the poor people that sit behind me...my apologies..lol
We were on the scoreboard side. Hardly anyone yelling.
redleg Wrote:Alot of fans have said that central was flat tonight, but I think it has more to do with the team they played than the fans want to admit. If you can't get fired up at home on senior night for a team you've never beat, what can fire you up. Not trying to flame, but in my opinion both teams played hard last night and for last night they were the better team

Neither team was flat IMO. Belfry just made a couple of big statements early. The first was their first offensive drive of the game and the TD, and the second was when they stopped JC on 4th and 1. In the second half JC fired the first shot with their great drive and momentarily seized the momentum, but the great fake punt call reversed it right back to the BIG RED.
bucslover68 Wrote:Neither team was flat IMO. Belfry just made a couple of big statements early. The first was their first offensive drive of the game and the TD, and the second was when they stopped JC on 4th and 1. In the second half JC fired the first shot with their great drive and momentarily seized the momentum, but the great fake punt call reversed it right back to the BIG RED.

How were they flat? They were jumping and trying to get crowd noise... I consider that pumped.
Belfry0304 Wrote:We were on the scoreboard side. Hardly anyone yelling.
...well...we were down by the cheerleaders...and i think that i led more cheers than they did...lol
Belfry0304 Wrote:How were they flat? They were jumping and trying to get crowd noise... I consider that pumped.

I said NEITHER team was flat.
bucslover68 Wrote:I said NEITHER team was flat.

I know, I'm not sure why I quoted you, I meant to quote whoever said JC was flat.
Belfry0304 Wrote:We might as well be a family. Me, Nathan, and Cameron have been like brothers for years.

Brenda's the best cheerleader ever! :rockon:
Belfry0304 Wrote:I know, I'm not sure why I quoted you, I meant to quote whoever said JC was flat.

No problem, you can quote me anytime. I thought that's what had happened. GO BIG RED!!!
bucslover68 Wrote:I hesitate to type this because it is personal, but for all the Matney haters, or at least the ones who want to disagree with him, let me share something with you. I have said before on here that Jim Matney was the first high school player I ever met. He was a member of my father's church in Belfry. I have know him for some 35 years. Anytime I see him, he takes time to talk, but that is not the story. After the game, I walked out to midfield to see Jim. He looked at me and grinned and said he almost didn't recognize me. He stuck his hand out, but instead I gave him a hug and told him I loved him and he hugged me and told me back the same. I told him it was a good game and he thought it was too. This next part may mean more to the Belfry people. I told him that when avid Belfry fan, and long- time Matney supporter, Frank O'brien died, I had thought a lot about him. He said that he had been having a hard time handling Frank's death, and we also mentioned the passing of Ron May, who was Dick Roddy's top man back in the 70s and early 80s. We both stood there with tears in our eyes and choked up. He mentioned some other folks that were close to him in the Pond Creek area that were gone, and how much they had meant to him. How many of you out there have seen this side of Jim? He went on to say that it was just a great game between two great teams and his kids and Belfry's kids had played hard. He praised Haywood for the fake punt call and said he could not believe it happened. When you down a coach, sometimes you forget where you came from and where you are. Have I always agreed with Matney over the years? No. Has he done things his own way? Yes. Be glad for what you have, or it could be gone.
For me, the best post in history of BGR. And from a Belfry fan. That's awesome.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:For me, the best post in history of BGR. And from a Belfry fan. That's awesome.

Thanks for the kind words. That means a lot to me. Jim's exterior sometimes overrides his interior, if you know what I mean. I just wanted to share a moment that was special to me. Thanks again.
Belfry has to be one of the favorites to win 3A, if not the favorite......Great performance from the Pirates...
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Everyone will now start second guessing Matney's decision to go for 2.
If JC had scored he would be thought a hero. I understand why he did it. He has never beated BHS while at JC.

Now ALL the nay-sayers dissing the Belfry's schedule - calling them overrated - will have to pay attention to the Bucs. They are for real....have been for real...will always be for REAL!!
Congrats Coach Haywood and the 2008 Pirates! What a ride!!! :letsparty
bucslover68 Wrote:Neither team was flat IMO. Belfry just made a couple of big statements early. The first was their first offensive drive of the game and the TD, and the second was when they stopped JC on 4th and 1. In the second half JC fired the first shot with their great drive and momentarily seized the momentum, but the great fake punt call reversed it right back to the BIG RED.

The drive with the fake punt was an important one in the minds of the pirates in more ways than one. If i'm not mistaken that was the first drive they've had all year wher they have been down. Great to see the Pirates answer right back.
TeamMom Wrote:Brenda's the best cheerleader ever! :rockon:

I agree! Ms.Phillips is fantastic...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next