Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County's Coal Miner Memorial Stadium
I guess Whitley's field will be the oldest in the district! Not knocking it at all, it is an awesome place. The players in our district are certainly blessed!
Harlan County Bears Wrote:2 new pictures taken today. Blacktopping the parking lot today.

The second picture is great. It shows the field in relation to the bridge and school.
I have tried to keep my mouth shut on this thread because I always respect our opponent...but some of these post are pretty funny...I'll tell you what running clock, let's make a friendly bet.....if the Bears win you don't post for a week....if Perry wins I won't post for a week....how bout it?Smile
meant to put that post on the HC/Perry thread...sorry everyone
Patriot Wrote:I guess Whitley's field will be the oldest in the district! Not knocking it at all, it is an awesome place. The players in our district are certainly blessed!

It will be.
And it's only 21 years old. I believe it was built in 91.

The field Whitley used before that was the practice field you see behind the visitors stands. I think all they had then was 4 or 5 little metal bleachers that seat around 20 or 30 people a piece...

Around 5 years ago, work started to build a new stadium for Whitley that would have costed over a million, with help from Teco Coal. It was going to be up where the soccer fields are now. However, a lot of people didnt want to move the stadium away from the school there and wanted to keep it where it was at. I'm not positive why we didnt use some of the money to expand and renovate our stadium we currently have, but it was most likely because of room.
IDK how they would have made the stadium they were going to up there at the soccer fields and have a huge parking lot without building up a lot of the land up there.

Long story short, the land was already bought, and we decided against the new stadium, and since the land was there, Whitley decided to start a soccer program, and its the only reason we have soccer teams.

I would say one day a new stadium will be built, i just dont know when. Im surprised we havent upgraded a lot of the things we have, but i know they had just added a freshmen wing to the high school, and with the growth of the school, it might have to expand more.

I think within the next 5-10 years youll either see major upgrades to the current stadium, or land being bought for the building of a new one...
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:It will be.
And it's only 21 years old. I believe it was built in 91.

The field Whitley used before that was the practice field you see behind the visitors stands. I think all they had then was 4 or 5 little metal bleachers that seat around 20 or 30 people a piece...

Around 5 years ago, work started to build a new stadium for Whitley that would have costed over a million, with help from Teco Coal. It was going to be up where the soccer fields are now. However, a lot of people didnt want to move the stadium away from the school there and wanted to keep it where it was at. I'm not positive why we didnt use some of the money to expand and renovate our stadium we currently have, but it was most likely because of room.
IDK how they would have made the stadium they were going to up there at the soccer fields and have a huge parking lot without building up a lot of the land up there.

Long story short, the land was already bought, and we decided against the new stadium, and since the land was there, Whitley decided to start a soccer program, and its the only reason we have soccer teams.

I would say one day a new stadium will be built, i just dont know when. Im surprised we havent upgraded a lot of the things we have, but i know they had just added a freshmen wing to the high school, and with the growth of the school, it might have to expand more.

I think within the next 5-10 years youll either see major upgrades to the current stadium, or land being bought for the building of a new one...

I think it's fine the way it is maybe more visitor bleachers, better restrooms, turf field, and I'm not sure about locker rooms. But the field, home stands, and atmosphere are good. I'm a fan of natural grass but the turf is the way things are going. Sports raise a lot of money for schools the kids should reap those benefits!
Patriot Wrote:I think it's fine the way it is maybe more visitor bleachers, better restrooms, turf field, and I'm not sure about locker rooms. But the field, home stands, and atmosphere are good. I'm a fan of natural grass but the turf is the way things are going. Sports raise a lot of money for schools the kids should reap those benefits!

Our restrooms are way to small and thats something that needed changed a long time ago. Most away teams dont know that you can go into the gym entrance and use the much larger restrooms and so they stand in line forever waiting.
I hate turf, wouldnt hurt my feeling to never see it at Whitley.
We should have expanded the vistors bleachers a long time ago. I think attendance has kept it from really being pushed, but when i played it was standing room only for most games, now were lucky to have both sides full, although there usually packed on the home side.

At Whitley, and most other schools, football should get what they want first. Football pays for baseball, soccer, golf, and other things that cant make enough money to support itself. The football boosters play a big part in every school being able to play all sports, especially girls sports, but with Title Nine, its hard to distinguish what the schools can do with it.

Im fine with just having a football team Confusednicker: