•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Central Catholic @ Shelby Valley 11/28 2A Semi Finals
Gator95 Wrote:Valley's win over prestonsburg Friday night was a better win than any win that NCC has this year. Yea they played a tough schedule. But in those games that were against these good teams, they didn't even compete in? They were beaten pretty easily in several of them as cowbell showed earlier. Name a better win NCC had against a team better than Prestonsburg.

:please:Newport. Twice. When the dust settles on Friday night I'm betting that we'll see that Newport and possibly Lloyd would have given Shelby Valley fits, not to mention NewCath. The chips didn't fall in the big school games this year, largely because of a scramble to replace the #1 QB who was hurt in the last scrimmage game. It happens, I know. Likely not a win in any of those games, but they'd at least have been competitive. As it turned out, the experience of dealing with the speed and power of the big schools has been a boon to the young Breds. They've come together nicely. We'll continue to see how much on Friday night.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
Can you dig it? Wrote::please:Newport. Twice. When the dust settles on Friday night I'm betting that we'll see that Newport and possibly Lloyd would have given Shelby Valley fits, not to mention NewCath. The chips didn't fall in the big school games this year, largely because of a scramble to replace the #1 QB who was hurt in the last scrimmage game. It happens, I know. Likely not a win in any of those games, but they'd at least have been competitive. As it turned out, the experience of dealing with the speed and power of the big schools has been a boon to the young Breds. They've come together nicely. We'll continue to see how much on Friday night.

Newport? Prestonsburg is better, and I base this on the fact that P-Burg went into Danville and ran all over the Ads by 17 points. That win is WAY more impressive than any win for Newport.

And Lloyd would give SV fits? Seriously? They have not beaten anyone of consequence all year.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Newport? Prestonsburg is better, and I base this on the fact that P-Burg went into Danville and ran all over the Ads by 17 points. That win is WAY more impressive than any win for Newport.

And Lloyd would give SV fits? Seriously? They have not beaten anyone of consequence all year.

I don't think Lloyd would win, but Newport might.:trolldad2:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Come on guys lets try to calm down here. Its opinions, no need to get all worked up. People post what they want and explain the reasoning behind it. No need to compare games imho, all the teams that have made it thus far is undefeated in the playoffs and Friday is when it will be decided who goes home with a loss.
Listen. Ncc will win this game 35-14. Shelby valley has played no one as good as ncc and ncc is not a real good football team, by ncc standards. Only chance sv had is if they threw the ball like caldwell. If ur telling me sv is going to try and run the ball on ncc, ur nuts. They have played schools this year that would beat sv 70-0 and did very well against the run.
One more thing. Tell ur PA that he better get ready to say #72s name about 50 times friday night. If this kid wasnt 5'9 he would be getting recruited by every school in the country.
Lawrence has definitely come into his own. He's played well every game so far, but that Beechwood game was his shining moment so far. Complete beast.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:One more thing. Tell ur PA that he better get ready to say #72s name about 50 times friday night. If this kid wasnt 5'9 he would be getting recruited by every school in the country.

Only thing you will hear from are PA guy is 1st Down WILDCATS!!!!!!!!!!!
:welcome:
This will be a different style game for NCC. They have played several teams that run a spread type offense. SV runs an offense that is hard to prepare for in a week. It is simple but at the same time effective when ran properly. Sort of an old school 3 yards and a cloud of dust,lol.
new o Wrote:This will be a different style game for NCC. They have played several teams that run a spread type offense. SV runs an offense that is hard to prepare for in a week. It is simple but at the same time effective when ran properly. Sort of an old school 3 yards and a cloud of dust,lol.

They should be glad Eric didn't run the Side Saddle Single Wing this season. That would have definitely been a monster to defend.
More Cowbell Wrote:I suppose you and I have a different concept of what constitutes a "bad" team. It seems that in your opinion, if a team is not contending for the state title, then they are a "bad" team. I disagree. You can be a "good" team and still not be good enough to win the state championship. That is what I was saying about teams like LCA and Prestonsburg. One has been in the top 15, and the other in the top 10 in their class all year. In my book, that makes them a "good" team, if not necessarily an "elite" team. I would consider another 2A team beating LCA a solid win, and beating Prestonsburg is a good win. If you feel differently then that's your prerogative.

The funny thing is that you said yourself that NewCath is not very good this year. I disagree completely, I think they are a VERY GOOD team. That is why they are playing in the state semifinal, and have an excellent chance to play for a state title. In my book, that makes them "very good".

And I agree about the schedules. NCC clearly played a tougher schedule than SV. Does that mean anything for this Friday? I don't know the answer to that.

When I said they are not very good, I meant compared to last several years NCC teams. A down NCC team is still better than most of the rest of the state in their class.
Still sticking with my initial thoughts.

This is a far cry from some of the NewCath teams of the past decade.... but I think SV has a real hard time with their athleticism and speed.

With that said.. I honestly think NC fans are about to feel very uncomfortable watching this game. Definitely over valuing NewCath and under valuing SV. I actually think SV is a better team than Newport. Better up front and better defensively. They dont have the playmaker that Price is, but they are better as a committee.

The balance of NC I think will be too much to overcome and the enormity of the game is foreign to SV and old hat to the Breds. Special teams I think could be a difference maker as well

Still liking NC by about 11-14 with Valley giving a gutty effort that earns respect.
It looks like a dry night so far. Hentchen has improved by leaps and bounds so far making his reads quicker and throwing it. I don't know who SV has played, but they couldn't have been more balanced than what NewCath has become.

As for the Wing-T, that has been part of NewCaths offense since Eddie took over in '10. He considered it the run and shoot, but they ran out of a wing-T formation quite a bit. It is not completely foreign to NewCath.
I don't care who wins, as long as it's Shelby Valley ! Go Cats !
I Rule The World Wrote:Is NCC the big bad wolf?? Are they the freakin Monstars? I think SV runs about 30 mins of clock and beat NCC 30-21.

NCC doesn't have to play the role of the big bad wolf or freaking monsters!! All they have to do is go to SV and win that game and get ready to play the following weekend in BG. Our boys are gonna be ready to play Friday night, they've been in this position before so let's just pray for no running clock but for a hard hitting football game!!
Hearing that starting DE/OLB for Valley broke his leg and maybe another key player with a season ending injury. If true would be a big hit to the Valley D.
Can you dig it? Wrote:I don't think Lloyd would win, but Newport might.

I would consider Shelby Valley and Prestonsburg as two completely even teams. They split their games this year, SV just happened to win the one that mattered more, lol.

I would put Newport as a notch below those two teams. I say Valley or P-Burg would each win by a touchdown over Newport.

On the other hand, NewCath is a notch above the two eastern teams. I would favor them by a TD over either P-Burg or SV.

Shelby Valley would beat Lloyd with ease.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I would consider Shelby Valley and Prestonsburg as two completely even teams. They spilt two games this year, SV just happened to win the one that mattered more, lol.

I would put Newport as a notch below those two teams. I say Valley or P-Burg would each win by a touchdown over Newport.

On the other hand, NewCath is a notch above the two eastern teams. I would favor them by a TD over either P-Burg or SV.

Shelby Valley would beat Lloyd with ease.

Walton Verona and SV were even against LCA and Newport beat WV twice. Seems to me SV and Newport would be pretty even.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Still sticking with my initial thoughts.

This is a far cry from some of the NewCath teams of the past decade.... but I think SV has a real hard time with their athleticism and speed.

With that said.. I honestly think NC fans are about to feel very uncomfortable watching this game. Definitely over valuing NewCath and under valuing SV. I actually think SV is a better team than Newport. Better up front and better defensively. They dont have the playmaker that Price is, but they are better as a committee.

The balance of NC I think will be too much to overcome and the enormity of the game is foreign to SV and old hat to the Breds. Special teams I think could be a difference maker as well

Still liking NC by about 11-14 with Valley giving a gutty effort that earns respect.

I can respect that assessment. I think the home-field / long bus ride factor may give Valley a small advantage, but that is canceled out by the huge edge in experience by NewCath.

My prediction is that Valley hangs tough for most of the game but loses in the end by a TD. I am planning on going to the game on Friday, so hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Go Valley!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sstack Wrote:Walton Verona and SV were even against LCA and Newport beat WV twice. Seems to me SV and Newport would be pretty even.

If we're comparing scores, Mason County beat Newport, but lost to Fleming County. SV beat Fleming by 9 points.

SV also beat Prestonsburg. Newport didn't beat anyone as good as the Blackcats.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I have a feeling that all these NCC fans are gonna be real dissapointed on their long drive back home with the L they are about to take back with them. At least they will have a nice helping of Crow to eat along the way. SHELBY VALLEY 34 NCC 21:trolldad:
My apologies to bgr. My excitement for my team and the rest of Nky got out of hand. Good luck to everyone this weekend.
More Cowbell Wrote:If we're comparing scores, Mason County beat Newport, but lost to Fleming County. SV beat Fleming by 9 points.

SV also beat Prestonsburg. Newport didn't beat anyone as good as the Blackcats.

Newport lost to Mason by 4, so your post backs up my opionion that SV and Newport are very close in talent/ability. And NCC took it to Newport this past week.
Valley is a much better team than I thought they were. I hope they win but I think NCC takes it. Good luck Wildcats.
sstack Wrote:Newport lost to Mason by 4, so your post backs up my opionion that SV and Newport are very close in talent/ability. And NCC took it to Newport this past week.

At one point Newport was within two points late in the game, but the carriage turned into a pumpkin from there. They were on par with NewCath from a talent standpoint, but lagged a bit in the coaching department, and a lot in the area of discipline. I was really pulling for them just to see something positive happen. That school has had a rough way to go for a long time. NewCath will be a tough out on Friday, long bus ride or not.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Can you dig it? Wrote:NewCath lost at Paintsville in 1998, which was as far back as I cared to look. Since then, the losses have come to teams like Beechwood, Ft. Campbell, and Danville, usually late in the playoffs or in the finals. I don't see this NewCath team coming out on top in December, but I do see them in Bowling Green again. Shelby Valley brings to mind a lot of what I remember hearing from teams in Harlan County, Whitley County, and Sheldon Clark when Highlands came to town in the past few years. Lots of big talk up front, then "Man, I think we're in trouble" when they see the speed and precision up close and personal. (This was a direct quote from the guy standing behind me at Whitley in 2008 after watching Austin Collinsworth take a kickoff back for a TD.) This ain't your typical NewCath team, but I suspect they've got enough in the tank for a 12-20 point win.

You take Collinsworth and his ridiculous superman like receiving abilities out of that game, and I think its still at least a good game. Probably not a Whitley win but a good game. When Whitley took the lead I looked at my brother and my exact words were "we better do that every time we touch the ball". Two plays later, Collinsworth grabs a pass over two Whitley defenders with one hand for about 40 yards and then Highlands scored about two plays later. It was that "well shit" moment when you knew it was score or lose. I think Whitley fumbled about 4 times in that game which was very unlike them that season. I don't know if they fumbled 10 times the whole year before that game. They got flustered and faltered which IMO is Highlands or was Highlands calling card to success. Whitley didn't have the defensive backs to stop a passing game that year and it showed. I think they started a 5-7 sophomore on Collinsworth and that alone was disaster.
sstack Wrote:Newport lost to Mason by 4, so your post backs up my opionion that SV and Newport are very close in talent/ability. And NCC took it to Newport this past week.

Well, SV beat Fleming by 9.
Fleming beat Mason by 7.
Mason beat Newport by 4.

If we're doing score comparisons, that's a total of 20 points difference between SV and Newport. Do I think that Valley is 20 points better than Newport? No. I do think SV and Newport are close in talent, but that Valley would be favored by a few points.

NewCath beat Newport twice, once by 5 and once by 16. That's an average of 10.5 points difference between the two. Yet people think NewCath will blow out Valley, who appears to be at least as good a team as Newport?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
you guys have no idea. ncc is not good team compared to the ncc teams from the past 4 years, but they are going to beat sv by 3-4 tds. thats how bad the rest of the east is. then we gonna get our heads beat in by desalles. 49-0.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:you guys have no idea. ncc is not good team compared to the ncc teams from the past 4 years, but they are going to beat sv by 3-4 tds. thats how bad the rest of the east is. then we gonna get our heads beat in by desalles. 49-0.

I don't see where you get that NewCath will win by 3-4 TD's.

After beating Newport by 5 points in the first meeting, NCC broke open a close game to beat them a second time by 16, in a contest played in their own hometown.

Now NewCath goes to play Shelby Valley, a team most would consider at least on par with Newport, if not a notch better. Not to mention this game will be played after a 4 hour bus ride to SV's home field. Yet NewCath is going to beat Valley way worse than they beat Newport?

That very well may happen, but I don't any evidence to expect that it will. I do think NCC wins, but in a much closer game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Well, SV beat Fleming by 9.
Fleming beat Mason by 7.
Mason beat Newport by 4.

If we're doing score comparisons, that's a total of 20 points difference between SV and Newport. Do I think that Valley is 20 points better than Newport? No. I do think SV and Newport are close in talent, but that Valley would be favored by a few points.

NewCath beat Newport twice, once by 5 and once by 16. That's an average of 10.5 points difference between the two. Yet people think NewCath will blow out Valley, who appears to be at least as good a team as Newport?

Point comparison is misleading.....When the win is in hand, Newcath subs in their 2nd team and freshmen players.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next