Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Lex. Christian
29.03%
Shelby Valley
70.97%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Christian @ Shelby Valley (11/14)
School Admin. Wrote:Gentlemen, if any offense is run the way its drawn up, its impossible to stop! LOL With that being said, I'll give my 2 cents worth on tomorrow night's game. LCA has a great back, possibly the best in class 2A. LCA also has a nice OL/DL, possibly the best Valley has faced this year. Valley has 2 very nice backs that run hard and both have good speed and they have an excellent OL/DL. I give the edge in the passing game to Valley, they have a very good T.E. and a good S.E. I realize they don't throw it very much, but they do and can if need be. I also give the edge in depth to Valley. I also give the edge in defense to Valley, especially against the run. If I had to say Valley had a soft spot on defense it would be in the short and mid-range passing game. You have to be very disciplined and precise to consistently move the ball down the field doing that. I also expect it to be the coldest night of the season. I'm going to give the edge to Valley, I think they are a little tougher and a little more physical than LCA, factor in the weather, I like that kind of team just a little more.

Valley-20
LCA-12

School Admin. Wrote:No, I haven't forgotten it, that was the point I was trying to make when I said in theory. People in all walks of life, on the field and off, dictate how successful something, regardless if you are talking about football or whatever. It's ALL about personnel, X's and O's are just conversation. Yes, I also know that certain schemes enhance different types of personnel. Thought I would throw that in there before you say anything.

I'm not trying to go at you, and if you had said "in theory" then I would've just agreed with you, but you didn't.

I do agree that the community, parents, administration, and other variables can have positive and negative effects on a team, but I don't agree that it is a prerequisite for winning. I've seen and coached many teams that won in-spite of those things. By the end of the year it may have appeared that everyone was on board but it wasn't that way to start. It helps definitely, but the relationship between a team and their coaches is intimate enough to carry through negatives. Like the saying goes, "succes has many fathers, failure is an orphan."
Whitman's ankle worries me for this game. Not only is he the best running back in 2A, he is also leading Lexington Christian on defense with more tackles than anyone on the team. A lot of talk is made because of the numbers he puts up on offense, but he is just as valuable on the defensive side as well. They lost in back-to-back weeks to Frankfort and Paintsville this year, and he had double-digit tackles in both of those games. He seems to always step up in big games when his team needs him. If his ankle is questionable, Coach Atchley may decide to just use him on offense. If that happens, LCA's defense is weakened just as bad as their offense would be. If he is healthy and plays both ways then I think LCA pulls it out, but if he's only at 80% or if he just plays one way, then Shelby Valley wins this one.

If Whittman is at 100%
LCA - 35
Shelby Valley - 28

If Whittman is NOT 100%
LCA - 21
Shelby Valley - 35
SV wins. Question is can they beat Prestonsburg?
They have to beat Danville first !!!!!!!!
Sv is on a roll and playing good ball.
Sv 30
LCA 20
lca trounces the valley tonight
Folks, it's almost game time!

I know there have been a few predictions of a blowout on here, in both directions. Honestly I don't see how anyone figures on either team blowing out the other. The teams seem very evenly matched, as evidenced by their games against common opponents:

- SV beat Leslie by 3 on the road, LCA beat them by 18 at home.
- SV beat Somerset by 10 at home, LCA beat them by 1 on the road.
- Both teams lost at Paintsville, SV by 10 and LCA by 12.

Another factor keeping this one close should be the fact that both teams are almost entirely run-oriented, so the cold weather tonight should not affect either offense more than the other.

To me, the key for tonight's game is turnovers, more specifically on Shelby Valley's side. Both their losses could be attributed directly to untimely fumbles. Although the wing-T offense is partly to blame, several of the drops have occurred after a clean handoff. SV simply must do a better job of holding on to the football.

I will predict (hope?) that Valley limits the turnovers, and in turn keeps Whitman off the field and on the sideline. I'll go with the home team in a squeaker.

SV - 22
LCA - 20
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Folks, it's almost game time!

I know there have been a few predictions of a blowout on here, in both directions. Honestly I don't see how anyone figures on either team blowing out the other. The teams seem very evenly matched, as evidenced by their games against common opponents:

- SV beat Leslie by 3 on the road, LCA beat them by 18 at home.
- SV beat Somerset by 10 at home, LCA beat them by 1 on the road.
- Both teams lost at Paintsville, SV by 10 and LCA by 12.

Another factor keeping this one close should be the fact that both teams are almost entirely run-oriented, so the cold weather tonight should not affect either offense more than the other.

To me, the key for tonight's game is turnovers, more specifically on Shelby Valley's side. Both their losses could be attributed directly to untimely fumbles. Although the wing-T offense is partly to blame, several of the drops have occurred after a clean handoff. SV simply must do a better job of holding on to the football.

I will predict (hope?) that Valley limits the turnovers, and in turn keeps Whitman off the field and on the sideline. I'll go with the home team in a squeaker.

SV - 22
LCA - 20

Something no one has brought up, but I'll mention it because your prediction has the game hinging on PATs...

How do the two team's kicking games compare ? I know LCA often KO to the endzone. Is it the same kicker and is he as good at kicking it through the uprights ??
oneijoe Wrote:Something no one has brought up, but I'll mention it because your prediction has the game hinging on PATs...

How do the two team's kicking games compare ? I know LCA often KO to the endzone. Is it the same kicker and is he as good at kicking it through the uprights ??

I don't want it to sound like I'm disparaging Valley's young men who do the kicking, so let's just say that SV will not gain an advantage through that part of the game. They have attempted very few XP's on the year, and kickoffs do not go especially deep.

But, they have been quite proficient at 2-pt conversions over the last few weeks. And punting seems to have been adequate.

The only way this really hurts SV is if they were to tie the score up late, but were forced to go for 2 to take the lead when an XP would have sufficed. Or if they were stopped late close to the goal line, and a chip shot FG would win it.

As you noticed, my prediction did hinge on PAT's. I foresee LCA kicking their first two XP's, but when SV converts after 2 out of their 3 touchdowns, the Eagles are forced to attempt a tying conversion after their 3rd TD, which falls just short... :Thumbs:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LCA will kick a fg tonight. :rockon:
Two schools with Elkhorn City coaches. It will be interesting to see if Eric can stop Joey Thacker's offense