•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan Co. @ Greenville,TN 9/27
It use to be that way here
thanks to one of our regs at coacht for linking us to this site. Ive actually met and chatted with Harlan Co.'s coach back in the spring when we scrimmaged Baylor at Carson Newman. He was very nice and clearly looking forward to this game, as am i. So far all the Harlan county folks i have spoken with, including one of your players, have been just as cordial. I am looking forward to meeting some of you in the stands this friday as i do Greeneville video for youtube. if you like, just look up "BigVOLdaddy" on youtube and i have tons of greeneville videos to choose from. Good luck and be safe coming down here and please, PLEASE leave Boyd Crowder back in Harlan, but feel free to bring me AVA if you can. I would love to show her some Greene COunty hospitality...hehehe....oh and Raylan's welcome too. GO DEVILS and be safe on your drive down.
greenegreene22 Wrote:yes ill stay around and chat from time to time because we will be coming to see you all next year if eveything stays the same , even though i live in tenn i am a BIG BLUE FAN I BLEED KENTUCKY BLUE BASKETBALL so maybe if we dont talk football we can talk b-ball LOL ! my dad was from ky and i have always kept up with and ky sports i have seen you guys play in the past and have kept up with bell co. i know they bring a great program as well as you guys - hope u all have a safe trip and be nice to meet some of you ky folks all for now!

Then you are welcome here friend.
We get a few loserville fans that like to get our blood pressure up, but most years we shut them up on here Confusednicker:
barb Wrote:Oh by all means make the trip. The drive is beautiful and Burley is a great stadium. I would suggest coming early and car pool as parking is scarce because of nearby construction...plus it will save some of that expensive Kentucky gas and make the long drive home a bit more bearable. I hear misery loves company. Go Greene!

Welcome to the site! If you need anything let any mod know!
Its like a big green wave on this site all of a sudden. Good to see outsiders coming in.
We usually have a lot more people on the site this time of year, but KY high school football in general is extremely down this year.
Glad to have you!
BigVOLdevil Wrote:thanks to one of our regs at coacht for linking us to this site. Ive actually met and chatted with Harlan Co.'s coach back in the spring when we scrimmaged Baylor at Carson Newman. He was very nice and clearly looking forward to this game, as am i. So far all the Harlan county folks i have spoken with, including one of your players, have been just as cordial. I am looking forward to meeting some of you in the stands this friday as i do Greeneville video for youtube. if you like, just look up "BigVOLdaddy" on youtube and i have tons of greeneville videos to choose from. Good luck and be safe coming down here and please, PLEASE leave Boyd Crowder back in Harlan, but feel free to bring me AVA if you can. I would love to show her some Greene COunty hospitality...hehehe....oh and Raylan's welcome too. GO DEVILS and be safe on your drive down.

As i said above, welcome to the site!
Ive actually caught some of you youtube vids before and classic fun making of the casualgamerreed guy. Its been a long time, but i do remember. Most of the time, i was just checking out the indiana chick Confusednicker:

Once again, welcome. Its great to have you.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Welcome to the site! If you need anything let any mod know!Its like a big green wave on this site all of a sudden. Good to see outsiders coming in.
We usually have a lot more people on the site this time of year, but KY high school football in general is extremely down this year.
Glad to have you!

Chose any moderate but for RunItUpTheGut. He's a little touched in the head!!
Confusednicker:

Well children, we have a new Black Bear team to finish out the season. I'm so thankful that the game is what we are all now focusing on!! I believe Baby Zak said it best when he posted F.A.M.I.L.Y.

We're gonna pull this together, and I'm excited to see the results!!

Go Black Bears!!!!
Demarcus ware Wrote:If HC can get all that beef on the O-Line moving, and can control the line of scrimmage, then HC will pull this one out. If they play like last week, and by that i mean putting the ball on the carpet then we wont even come close to winning..I think after the attitude adjustments and hard practice this week, HC will be ok..They've had to do a lot of soul searching over the weekend, they are gonna step off the bus mad and angry, just like they did after the Belfry game. We lost to the two best teams in EKY and no shame in that, i would like to see HC, JC, & Belfry all three in BG this year....I'll hold off a little while before prediction time, still early for that..

So what are them big'uns averaging on the hoof?
Granny Bear Wrote:Chose any moderate but for RunItUpTheGut. He's a little touched in the head!!
Confusednicker:

Well children, we have a new Black Bear team to finish out the season. I'm so thankful that the game is what we are all now focusing on!! I believe Baby Zak said it best when he posted F.A.M.I.L.Y.

We're gonna pull this together, and I'm excited to see the results!!

Go Black Bears!!!!
Well glad to hear things have been straightened out, and now i'm hoping we can get back to HC Football. Big tough game this week, then district play starts...
Demarcus ware Wrote:If HC can get all that beef on the O-Line moving, and can control the line of scrimmage, then HC will pull this one out. If they play like last week, and by that i mean putting the ball on the carpet then we wont even come close to winning..I think after the attitude adjustments and hard practice this week, HC will be ok..They've had to do a lot of soul searching over the weekend, they are gonna step off the bus mad and angry, just like they did after the Belfry game. We lost to the two best teams in EKY and no shame in that, i would like to see HC, JC, & Belfry all three in BG this year....I'll hold off a little while before prediction time, still early for that..

Daddycat27 Wrote:In KY your playoff position depends on your distric standing. #1 plays # 4, 2 plays 3 etc. Winners advance to the regional, then state!

Must be nice, Tennessee has adopted a play-off system that rivals the BCS in its complexity.
Can anyone elaborate on the issues that HC has had?
Looking forward to the trip! I enjoy away games a lot, if you have some good fans/friends riding with you it makes the trip so much fun!

Anxious to finally see Black Bear Football, up until now they haven't played with much focus. Just going through the motions, but I believe we will see them show up this week!
Daddycat27 Wrote:Can anyone elaborate on the issues that HC has had?

It is no big deal. An in house issue. Where it should stay. And it has gained too much attention anyway in the community over nothing but quarreling
barb Wrote:so what are them big'uns averaging on the hoof?
big!!!!!
For the Greenville fans:

This is the season opener between Harlan County and a 6A school.

Harlan County has been a bit of an enigma. The Black Bears had sky high expectations but ran into a pair of buzzsaws in Belfry and Johnson Central. Prior to the Belfry game Harlan Co had allowed something like -30 yards and Belfry roughed them up pretty good. Harlan County rebounded and destroyed a Knox Central team who entered undefeated and ranked in 4A.. then they matched up with a very, very good Johnson Central team who capitalized on several early turnovers and beat the Black Bears soundly.

The common denominator in their two losses were to two fundamentally sound teams who beat HC at their own game, running the football. Both Belfry and Johnson Central have very fast defenses that were able to out-quick HC up front and create penetration.

For your frame of reference the Mercer County teams you faced were in 2007 (you lost 14-9) and 2008 (you won 42-35).

Mercer County won a controversial State Title in 2006. The Titans squeeked by Russell in the AA Championship Game in their first year of existence after consolidating Harrodsburg High and Mercer County HS to form the new Mercer County HS. Due to the KY alignment the new HS was allowed to compete in 2A despite having almost double the students as the other team. It just so happened the schools consolidated when both had unbelievable Senior classes coming up. Even without the new school built or a new stadium they forced the consolidation and fielded an All-Time level team for that area.

Mercer rolled everyone going undefeated in the regular season and playoffs. They played Russell in the Finals and were finally pushed. For a frame of reference the Bellfry team that beat Harlan County was AA and was an equal to Russell that year and probably a TD less difference from Mercer County... the 2006 Pirates were not nearly as good as the team who beat HC this year.

In 2007 when Greeneville first played Mercer, KY went to the 6 Class System and Mercer was rightfully placed in 5A, they finished that year 5-6.

In 2008 when Greenville won by a TD Mercer finished 6-6.

The Titans have been a middle of the pack 5A team since their 2006 dream season in 2A.. some years they were a Top 15 team in their class..some years they were a bottom 15 team.

The other useful bit of info is that HC opened last season with a loss to Morristown West 35-25. They improved leaps and bounds by season's end though so not sure what you can take from that.. I know Motown West beat Greeneville the next week 31-28.
Guess we shouldn't even show up to the game because we obviously aren't on the same level as HC. But I'll tell you this. Our team strength is stopping the run as it has been for many years now. But beware we can defend the pass very very well. It's gonna be hard to score on the devils for any team. We have speed on both sides of the ball. This is if not the fastest Greeneville team I have ever seen. 42-14 Greeneville
GREENEVILLE Wrote:Guess we shouldn't even show up to the game because we obviously aren't on the same level as HC. But I'll tell you this. Our team strength is stopping the run as it has been for many years now. But beware we can defend the pass very very well. It's gonna be hard to score on the devils for any team. We have speed on both sides of the ball. This is if not the fastest Greeneville team I have ever seen. 42-14 Greeneville

The heck are you pulling that from??????

Noone has said anything remotely resembling this.. all the HC fans have just expressed they don't think it will be a blowout and other fans outside of the HC program like myself have simply tried to give you more background about the team you are facing.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:For the Greenville fans:

This is the season opener between Harlan County and a 6A school.

Harlan County has been a bit of an enigma. The Black Bears had sky high expectations but ran into a pair of buzzsaws in Belfry and Johnson Central. Prior to the Belfry game Harlan Co had allowed something like -30 yards and Belfry roughed them up pretty good. Harlan County rebounded and destroyed a Knox Central team who entered undefeated and ranked in 4A.. then they matched up with a very, very good Johnson Central team who capitalized on several early turnovers and beat the Black Bears soundly.

The common denominator in their two losses were to two fundamentally sound teams who beat HC at their own game, running the football. Both Belfry and Johnson Central have very fast defenses that were able to out-quick HC up front and create penetration.

For your frame of reference the Mercer County teams you faced were in 2007 (you lost 14-9) and 2008 (you won 42-35).

Mercer County won a controversial State Title in 2006. The Titans squeeked by Russell in the AA Championship Game in their first year of existence after consolidating Harrodsburg High and Mercer County HS to form the new Mercer County HS. Due to the KY alignment the new HS was allowed to compete in 2A despite having almost double the students as the other team. It just so happened the schools consolidated when both had unbelievable Senior classes coming up. Even without the new school built or a new stadium they forced the consolidation and fielded an All-Time level team for that area.

Mercer rolled everyone going undefeated in the regular season and playoffs. They played Russell in the Finals and were finally pushed. For a frame of reference the Bellfry team that beat Harlan County was AA and was an equal to Russell that year and probably a TD less difference from Mercer County... the 2006 Pirates were not nearly as good as the team who beat HC this year.

In 2007 when Greeneville first played Mercer, KY went to the 6 Class System and Mercer was rightfully placed in 5A, they finished that year 5-6.

In 2008 when Greenville won by a TD Mercer finished 6-6.

The Titans have been a middle of the pack 5A team since their 2006 dream season in 2A.. some years they were a Top 15 team in their class..some years they were a bottom 15 team.

The other useful bit of info is that HC opened last season with a loss to Morristown West 35-25. They improved leaps and bounds by season's end though so not sure what you can take from that.. I know Motown West beat Greeneville the next week 31-28.

Demarcus ware Wrote:big!!!!!

I thought they looked that way. Greeneville averages about 265 on the line and they are quick. Really swarm to the ball. How well do the Bears defend the pass? The stats indicate they have given up some yards through the air.
A good option QB could be a problem...
Bad news for us. We pass 12-14 times every game.
barb,

I don't think HC has really seen a true passing team this year. Belfry and JC are 90% run and they do it very well..

Knox Central gained some yards passing against them but it was mainly when the game was decided.

Should actually be an interesting storyline if that is what GHS does. HC's defense is actually bets built for rushing a passer, but their DB's may be a bit flat footed if Greeneville has a lot of speed.

Does Greeneville platoon players or are they mainly playing guys both ways?
From all that we are hearing about Greenville this will be prob be a very BIG challenge for the Bears! I hope our kids come and play with focus and heart, and lay it on the line for their teammates... If they do this we will all be proud of them and enjoy watching them compete!!
We platoon players and have guys that play both ways. But we can play both ways without hurting us. We use to play up and we still schedule non conference games that are much harder for that reason. We usually wear teams down. I saw a a rly nice pass that central had at the beginning of the game and it me wonder because We have speed at wide receiver and usually beat the defender. We are fast
EKUAlum05 Wrote:barb,

I don't think HC has really seen a true passing team this year. Belfry and JC are 90% run and they do it very well..

Knox Central gained some yards passing against them but it was mainly when the game was decided.

Should actually be an interesting storyline if that is what GHS does. HC's defense is actually bets built for rushing a passer, but their DB's may be a bit flat footed if Greeneville has a lot of speed.

Does Greeneville platoon players or are they mainly playing guys both ways?

Central lost to 6A Jefferson County 32-20. Jefferson County gave up 41 pts to Greeneville and did not score. I'd say the Devil's will match up well with the Bears up front. Finchum does a pretty good job reading coverage. Best hope Greeneville doesn't spread'em out too much cause if any of their speedy backs get a crease they'll be gone.
ok, so i've been studying up on you black bears since seeing this game on our schedule and have to admit this is the game i've looked most forward to all season. I think our communities share a common bond and we both value the importance of Friday night football in our culture......that said, i've rewritten part of a little song, i think all Harlan Countians are very familiar with.....

In the tune of Brad Paisleys " you'll never leave harlan alive"

" in a hard working town, in east tennessee,
that's where friday night comes to life.....
and it's there I read, on a greene and white banner.....
YOU'LL NEVER LEAVE BURLEY ALIVE!!!

GO GREENE DEVILS....see you fine folks friday.
It's not the same Knox central
barb Wrote:Must be nice, Tennessee has adopted a play-off system that rivals the BCS in its complexity.

Barb, I think the other poster left out a little bit of KY's high school playoff system. IMHO, our playoff system may be the easiest ive ever seen to follow.

Ky has 6 classes. Each class has the same playoff system. In KY, there is not seperate class for private schools. They play in the class that there enrollment numbers put them in. Also, there is only like 8 or 9 private schools in KY that are actually good football teams. But, back to the playoffs, each class has four regions and 8 districts.

Also, there are 5 rounds in KYs high school playoffs. Round 1, Round Two, the Region Championship, the State Semis, and the Championship. Each class has 32 teams in the playoffs, so you can see how this works out.

In each class, there are 4 regions. In each region there are two districts, for a total of 8 districts in each class. Now, 1A and 6A only have 32 teams i believe, so even if you go 0-10, you still make the playoffs. The other classes dont have much more that that to be honest, and most districts in this state are now 4 team districts due to the move from 4 classes to 6.

Now in the playoffs, the first four teams of your district get into the playoffs.
In the first round you play the seed opposite you in your region.
For example, in Class 5A Region 4, there are two districts as stated above. Districts 7 and 8. The 1 seed from district 7 plays the 4 seed from district 8. The 2 seed from district 7 plays the 3 seed from district 8, the 3 seed from district 7 goes on the road to play the 2 seed from District 8 and the 4 seed from district 7 goes on the road to play the 1 seed from district 8.

Then, after the first two rounds, the two teams left in the region play for the region championship and the winner advances to face the winner of region 3.

If you win that game, the winner advance to the state championship in Bowling Green where you face the winner of the region 1 and region 2.

To put it in perspective, In each class, Region 1 and 2 are usually teams in the western half of the state, while region 3 and 4 are in the eastern part of the state.

I know this was long, but its actually very simple. To understand it more easily, here is a bracket of last years 5A playoffs....http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...ent_118005

If youll look at the bottom of the bracket where region 4 is, youll see the teams from district 7 and 8.

District 7 standings were, 1. Pulaski County, 2. Madison Southern, 3. North Laurel, 4. Lincoln County.
District 8 standings were 1. Harlan County, 2. Whitley County, 3. Perry Central, 4. Letcher Central.

Harlan County, being the 1 seed played district 7s four seed, Lincoln County, and won, then played district 7's two seed Madison Southern and won, then played in the region championship against district 7's 1 seed Pulaski County, and won, and then went to the state semis where the lost to region 3 champ Cooper. Cooper than lost at the state title game to Bowling Green.

Hope I didnt confuse you more, but its very simple, dont let my long thought out thinking process confuse you. Its very simple to understand.
Gummie Bear Wrote:It is no big deal. An in house issue. Where it should stay. And it has gained too much attention anyway in the community over nothing but quarreling

HC fans were ready to self proclaim them selves as the best in the mountains and the best in the 5A, and didn't mind telling everyone that no-one else stood a shot at the title. Now that there is adversity and its no-ones business. Some of us are pulling for HC to make a strong run and are just curious about what exactly the problem seems to be on the home front there. Get the ship righted!!
GREENEVILLE Wrote:It's not the same Knox central

Oh, KY...I forgot
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Barb, I think the other poster left out a little bit of KY's high school playoff system. IMHO, our playoff system may be the easiest ive ever seen to follow.

Ky has 6 classes. Each class has the same playoff system. In KY, there is not seperate class for private schools. They play in the class that there enrollment numbers put them in. Also, there is only like 8 or 9 private schools in KY that are actually good football teams. But, back to the playoffs, each class has four regions and 8 districts.

Also, there are 5 rounds in KYs high school playoffs. Round 1, Round Two, the Region Championship, the State Semis, and the Championship. Each class has 32 teams in the playoffs, so you can see how this works out.

In each class, there are 4 regions. In each region there are two districts, for a total of 8 districts in each class. Now, 1A and 6A only have 32 teams i believe, so even if you go 0-10, you still make the playoffs. The other classes dont have much more that that to be honest, and most districts in this state are now 4 team districts due to the move from 4 classes to 6.

Now in the playoffs, the first four teams of your district get into the playoffs.
In the first round you play the seed opposite you in your region.
For example, in Class 5A Region 4, there are two districts as stated above. Districts 7 and 8. The 1 seed from district 7 plays the 4 seed from district 8. The 2 seed from district 7 plays the 3 seed from district 8, the 3 seed from district 7 goes on the road to play the 2 seed from District 8 and the 4 seed from district 7 goes on the road to play the 1 seed from district 8.

Then, after the first two rounds, the two teams left in the region play for the region championship and the winner advances to face the winner of region 3.

If you win that game, the winner advance to the state championship in Bowling Green where you face the winner of the region 1 and region 2.

To put it in perspective, In each class, Region 1 and 2 are usually teams in the western half of the state, while region 3 and 4 are in the eastern part of the state.

I know this was long, but its actually very simple. To understand it more easily, here is a bracket of last years 5A playoffs....http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...ent_118005

If youll look at the bottom of the bracket where region 4 is, youll see the teams from district 7 and 8.

District 7 standings were, 1. Pulaski County, 2. Madison Southern, 3. North Laurel, 4. Lincoln County.
District 8 standings were 1. Harlan County, 2. Whitley County, 3. Perry Central, 4. Letcher Central.

Harlan County, being the 1 seed played district 7s four seed, Lincoln County, and won, then played district 7's two seed Madison Southern and won, then played in the region championship against district 7's 1 seed Pulaski County, and won, and then went to the state semis where the lost to region 3 champ Cooper. Cooper than lost at the state title game to Bowling Green.

Hope I didnt confuse you more, but its very simple, dont let my long thought out thinking process confuse you. Its very simple to understand.
It is very similar here in South Carolina, an Upper State and Lower State champion play in the state championship. Tennessee adopted the illustrious "Z-Plan" in 2009. In dI,There are 3 classifications in the regular season that expand to 6 for the play-offs. A- expands to A and 2A, AA expands to 3A and 4A, and AAA expands to 5A and 6A. Yes it is as complicated as it sounds and seeding is a nightmare. It was so bad the first year that teams made the play-offs with 4-6 records. Prior to 2009, Greeneville's enrollment made them a larger AAA school but they chose to play AAAA to preserve long-standing rivalries. After the adoption of the Z-plan, Greeneville decided to play in their assigned classification. It is a decision that had paid off for the Devils since they no longer had to face now 6A powerhouse , Maryville, in the play-offs. Since 2009, Greeneville has played in the 4A state championship 3 times, winning 2.
VELVET CLOSER Wrote:HC fans were ready to self proclaim them selves as the best in the mountains and the best in the 5A, and didn't mind telling everyone that no-one else stood a shot at the title. Now that there is adversity and its no-ones business. Some of us are pulling for HC to make a strong run and are just curious about what exactly the problem seems to be on the home front there. Get the ship righted!!

Yeah, we talked a lot of smack at first, I know I did. Just excited for football season to begin; I've missed it badly!

I don't remember stating that no one else had a shot at the title though. I could have said it and forgotten, but that don't sound like me.

In any event, the smack talk, self proclamations, dares, etc. are all in good natured fun as far as I'm concerned, and posted on a public forum it becomes everybody's target or fodder for return smack talk.

In house adversity; however, isn't anyone's business. As far as stating what "exactly the problem is on the home front", that won't come from me or any other true Black Bear fan.

Just so you don't worry anymore, the ship HAS been righted.

Go Black Bears!!!
BigVOLdevil Wrote:ok, so i've been studying up on you black bears since seeing this game on our schedule and have to admit this is the game i've looked most forward to all season. I think our communities share a common bond and we both value the importance of Friday night football in our culture......that said, i've rewritten part of a little song, i think all Harlan Countians are very familiar with.....

In the tune of Brad Paisleys " you'll never leave harlan alive"

" in a hard working town, in east tennessee,
that's where friday night comes to life.....
and it's there I read, on a greene and white banner.....
YOU'LL NEVER LEAVE BURLEY ALIVE!!!

GO GREENE DEVILS....see you fine folks friday.

Oh!! That's a sac relig!!
Confusednicker:
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next