•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin 2013
SEKYFAN Wrote:The statement in bold print seems exaggerated to me. Corbin has been down the past couple of years, finishing 7-5 and 5-6, but going back the four years previous to that, their yearly record was the folllowing:

2010 - 11-3, making it to the semifinals
2009 - 10-3, making it to the regional finals
2008 - 13-1, making it to the semifinals
2007 - 11-2, making it to the regional finals

Most programs would LOVE to have that recent record! The fact that some Corbin fans (or other teams' fans) consider the Hounds a floundering programs really speaks to the school's impressive history.

Danville has been down lately, too. Somerset has had their occasional sub-par seasons, Middlesboro has been rebuilding recently. It happens to everyone.

Corbin has been, is, and will be fine. One of Kentucky's truly great programs.
Old Redhound Wrote:Really guys. Jefferson Patrick is the only one to play and he's from Whitley. Played 8th grade ball in Corbin. The others, I hope play at Williamsburg, they are late maturing, not studs that left because of Coaches.

Actually he is from Williamsburg, grade k-4......whitley 5-7, corbin 8 and back to Wburg. His brother also. Brother played a few games 8th grade year before transferring to corbin, Jefferson just practice a day. Also the nantz boys started and played at whitley there 8th grade year before transferring to corbin. When in doubt WWED Smile
footballfever Wrote:Actually he is from Williamsburg, grade k-4......whitley 5-7, corbin 8 and back to Wburg. His brother also. Brother played a few games 8th grade year before transferring to corbin, Jefferson just practice a day. Also the nantz boys started and played at whitley there 8th grade year before transferring to corbin. When in doubt WWED Smile

Maybe we should bring out the list of Whitley transfers thats went to Corbin since 1990 Confusednicker:

I dont know if BGR's servers are big enough to download it...
Not just players, exceptional players a lot of times.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Maybe we should bring out the list of Whitley transfers thats went to Corbin since 1990 Confusednicker:

Knox Co and Laurel Co have lost there share of players also. But you can't fault parent and kids for going to Corbin. I do not know a whole lot about the Whitley schools but at the Knox and Laurel schools the administrations did not care about football.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Maybe we should bring out the list of Whitley transfers thats went to Corbin since 1990 Confusednicker:

I can think of 3 or 4 football players, although I'm sure there are a few more.

1. Jarrod Lawson - transferred to Corbin prior to his sophomore year.
2. Brad Lawson - transferred to Corbin prior to his sophomore.
3. Big kid(cannot remember his name)who played DE for Corbin around 2000.
4. Jeremy Brock - transferred to Corbin in the 5th or 6th grade.

Who are some of the others?
SEKYFAN Wrote:I can think of 3 or 4 football players, although I'm sure there are a few more.

1. Jarrod Lawson - transferred to Corbin prior to his sophomore year.
2. Brad Lawson - transferred to Corbin prior to his sophomore.
3. Big kid(cannot remember his name)who played DE for Corbin around 2000.
4. Jeremy Brock - transferred to Corbin in the 5th or 6th grade.

Who are some of the others?

We'll not get into it.
Its a useless debate.
Theres a kid right now on Corbin team that grew up in the County system.
It honestly doesnt bother me at all. Its just funny to see some of Corbins finest talking about how Wburg is only winning because there using there kids (and im not talking about posters on this site) when they couldnt hold a candle to Corbin.

You just said quite a bit by mentioning the ones you have.
If it werent for Jarrod Lawson, Corbin wouldnt of been state runnerups in 02. Just saying....
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:We'll not get into it.
Its a useless debate.
It honestly doesnt bother me at all. Its just funny to see some of Corbins finest talking about how Wburg is only winning because there using there kids (and im not talking about posters on this site) when they couldnt hold a candle to Corbin.

If it werent for Jarrod Lawson, Corbin wouldnt of been state runnerups in 02. Just saying....

The people saying that about Williamsburg are out of touch with reality, because they are going to be very good. If I had to pick a winner if they played each other this year, I would have to go with the Jackets. Repeating Old Redhound, Williamsburg is not really using Corbin's kids, unless you want to count Sizemore, who has never played for Corbin.

You are right, Corbin wouldn't have made the finals in 02 without Lawson, and shouldn't have anyway because they were just above average that year. They had a lot of breaks go there way, including playing every playoff game at home, plus not facing a team who had any passing attack at all before facing Breathitt, who exposed their shortcomings.

Kenneth Bays was the player I was trying to remember earlier.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:We'll not get into it.
Its a useless debate.

I beg to differ. Williamsburg would/could / should beat Corbin right now if they played.
SEKYFAN Wrote:The people saying that about Williamsburg are out of touch with reality, because they are going to be very good. If I had to pick a winner if they played each other this year, I would have to go with the Jackets. Repeating Old Redhound, Williamsburg is not really using Corbin's kids, unless you want to count Sizemore, who has never played for Corbin.

You are right, Corbin wouldn't have made the finals in 02 without Lawson, and shouldn't have anyway because they were just above average that year. They had a lot of breaks go there way, including playing every playoff game at home, plus not facing a team who had any passing attack at all before facing Breathitt, who exposed their shortcomings.

Kenneth Bays was the player I was trying to remember earlier.

Jarrod would have been a sophomore when i was a senior.
With him, we could have easily won atleast two playoff games. We went 9-2 that year and was heavy favorites against Scott County in the first round until our senior QB went down injured in the first. Jarrod was that much of a difference maker, but knew if he stayed he wouldnt get the ball as much as at Whitley, and while i disagree with the transfer that late, there is no way he would have got recruited by UK had he stayed at Whitley. I was disspointed that things didnt go right for him, I would have loved to of seen him play four years at UK, but he never got in a uniform. One of the best players ever produced around this area.
I actually watched Corbin in the playoffs in 02. You are very correct about things going there way. It wasnt home field or the refs or anything like that but it seemed every time they were backed into a corner, the other team would fumble, throw a pick, etc.
I still think Corbin was much better than a 51-0 loss to Breathitt, but they just couldnt stop the pass. That was when the pass was just getting real big in the mountains, and Haddix had the arm to prove it. Corbin had a good team that year, but like you said, was average compared to a lot.

Ive imagined several times over the years of how Corbin-Whitley games would have gone, but even more than that, ive imagined how a team comprised of players from both schools would have dominated the mountains had they played together. As ive said before, when Corbin was winning all those games, it seemed they always had one big stud that just dominated the field, and they havent had that the past few years. I guess the Watkins kid was the closest thing to that back a few years ago, but none really sense. Corbin needs that great player like theyve always had.
johnnyd Wrote:I beg to differ. Williamsburg would/could / should beat Corbin right now if they played.

I think you misread my post.
I meant Wburg couldnt currently hold a candle to Corbin in terms or recruiting like Corbin has in the past.

I will agree that Wburg could very well beat Corbin right now.
Wburg just has one of those teams.
But, if were taling about playing, i stand by my statement that I understand why Corbin wouldnt want to play Wburg. They are much better served playing a team like Knox, it only makes sense. And while Wburg has one of those teams that could very well beat Corbin this year, it may only come once every ten years or so, and so it doesnt really bode well for both teams.

Id like to see Wburg branch out to the north some. Maybe an annual game with LCA and even going to the east for an annual game with Pburg. Ive like Herrons move to play team like Oneida TN. Thats a good program and really helps Wburg prepare.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Jarrod would have been a sophomore when i was a senior.
With him, we could have easily won atleast two playoff games. We went 9-2 that year and was heavy favorites against Scott County in the first round until our senior QB went down injured in the first. Jarrod was that much of a difference maker, but knew if he stayed he wouldnt get the ball as much as at Whitley, and while i disagree with the transfer that late, there is no way he would have got recruited by UK had he stayed at Whitley. I was disspointed that things didnt go right for him, I would have loved to of seen him play four years at UK, but he never got in a uniform. One of the best players ever produced around this area.
I actually watched Corbin in the playoffs in 02. You are very correct about things going there way. It wasnt home field or the refs or anything like that but it seemed every time they were backed into a corner, the other team would fumble, throw a pick, etc.
I still think Corbin was much better than a 51-0 loss to Breathitt, but they just couldnt stop the pass. That was when the pass was just getting real big in the mountains, and Haddix had the arm to prove it. Corbin had a good team that year, but like you said, was average compared to a lot.

Ive imagined several times over the years of how Corbin-Whitley games would have gone, but even more than that, ive imagined how a team comprised of players from both schools would have dominated the mountains had they played together. As ive said before, when Corbin was winning all those games, it seemed they always had one big stud that just dominated the field, and they havent had that the past few years. I guess the Watkins kid was the closest thing to that back a few years ago, but none really sense. Corbin needs that great player like theyve always had.

Jarrod was probably the best that I ever had the privilege to play with. We were thought to have a rebuilding year in 2002, after losing most of our starting backfield of Foley, Cook, and Hoover and all 5 starting lineman. But as you said we did have a big stud. Most though a 6-4 season would be likely and I remember the papers predicting a near .500 record. I will agree we were only above average in talent but we fed off that underdog role a lot.

In my opinion if we play Breathitt 10 times we probably wouldn't have won one. However they weren't 51 points better. We hadn't seen that kind of passing game, and there were several other things that played into the outcome, but mostly we just didn't show up that day. (It would have helped out if Whitley wouldn't have fought Brads transfer or he would've really helped us too!) haha
The Breathitt game was something else. There is no denying that Breathitt was a much better team and Corbin got all the breaks to make it that far. I just don't feel that Breathitt was 51 points better.

The margin of defeat was because Corbin got away from the Defense that got them there. It was a make or break defense all year until Coach Jewell went to some gimmick pass D in Louisville. Once Breathitt was up 38-0 at the half, Corbin went back to their bread and butter.

Breathitt did not call off the dogs in that game and only scored 2 touchdowns. The Bobcats had a fantastic D so Corbin's offense probably wouldn't have been much better but a 26-0 game or 34-7 game is a lot more realistic than 51-0.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Jarrod was probably the best that I ever had the privilege to play with. We were thought to have a rebuilding year in 2002, after losing most of our starting backfield of Foley, Cook, and Hoover and all 5 starting lineman. But as you said we did have a big stud. Most though a 6-4 season would be likely and I remember the papers predicting a near .500 record. I will agree we were only above average in talent but we fed off that underdog role a lot.

In my opinion if we play Breathitt 10 times we probably wouldn't have won one. However they weren't 51 points better. We hadn't seen that kind of passing game, and there were several other things that played into the outcome, but mostly we just didn't show up that day. (It would have helped out if Whitley wouldn't have fought Brads transfer or he would've really helped us too!) haha

You had already taken one of our best players, we werent letting the second go without a fight. Confusednicker:
Brad wasnt Jarrod, but he was still very good, and Corbins go to.
It didnt pay off as much as those were the years South and Wburg had finally beat Corbin.
HAROLD Wrote:The Breathitt game was something else. There is no denying that Breathitt was a much better team and Corbin got all the breaks to make it that far. I just don't feel that Breathitt was 51 points better.

The margin of defeat was because Corbin got away from the Defense that got them there. It was a make or break defense all year until Coach Jewell went to some gimmick pass D in Louisville. Once Breathitt was up 38-0 at the half, Corbin went back to their bread and butter.

Breathitt did not call off the dogs in that game and only scored 2 touchdowns. The Bobcats had a fantastic D so Corbin's offense probably wouldn't have been much better but a 26-0 game or 34-7 game is a lot more realistic than 51-0.

Agreed.
That was what i was saying as well. Breathitt was better than Corbin, and to be honest atleast 4 or 5 tds better, but i didnt expect what happened.

If im not mistaken that was the same year Bell blew Corbin out of the water and was the last time those two played until they got stuck in a district together.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Agreed.
That was what i was saying as well. Breathitt was better than Corbin, and to be honest atleast 4 or 5 tds better, but i didnt expect what happened.

If im not mistaken that was the same year Bell blew Corbin out of the water and was the last time those two played until they got stuck in a district together.

Bell did beat us pretty bad that year. However, Jarrod had been hampered by an injury and the coaches sat him out the game against Bell so he could be 100% by district. 1 player shouldn't make up the difference that they beat us by, but Jarrod was our Offense.

The next year Corbin went to Log Mountain and left with a Win. It was a close scoring game, but was pretty much dominated by Corbin. I didn't make it to many Corbin games from '04-'06, so I'm not sure how the games went with Bell during those seasons. The '07 season is when they stopped playing.
Wow, the Lawson's. Why do kids like this leave Whitley? And Brad was an impact player. The year W'burg beat Corbin Brad was out that game. And yes it would have been different if he played. While on the subject of Brad, he's the reason Corbin went to the Sweet 16 in basketball that year. Man seemed like he could block out an entire team on the basketball court.
johnnyd Wrote:I beg to differ. Williamsburg would/could / should beat Corbin right now if they played.

Would love to see that game!! Maybe a scrimmage?

Williamsburg has tremendous athletes, however they weren't better than Corbin in Middle School and they're not better now.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Williamsburg has tremendous athletes, however they weren't better than Corbin in Middle School and they're not better now.

Your exactly right because nothing changes after middle school.:biglmao:
Corbin lost a lot off last years team. Williamsburg lost almost nothing. I've seen them both. Williamsburg would win.
johnnyd Wrote:Your exactly right because nothing changes after middle school.:biglmao:

A lot changes after middle school. The Corbin players that dominated Williamsburg through middle school are now even bigger, stronger, and faster. Like I said Williamsburg has tremendous athletes, but they haven't closed the talent gap yet.
johnnyd Wrote:Corbin lost a lot off last years team. Williamsburg lost almost nothing. I've seen them both. Williamsburg would win.

I watch Corbin regularly, and I've had the pleasure to watch Williamsburg 5-6 times the past 2 seasons. Corbin would win by 2 TD's. Williamsburg would've had a better chance to beat Corbin last season than this upcoming season. And Corbin didn't lose as much as you think.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I watch Corbin regularly, and I've had the pleasure to watch Williamsburg 5-6 times the past 2 seasons. Corbin would win by 2 TD's. Williamsburg would've had a better chance to beat Corbin last season than this upcoming season. And Corbin didn't lose as much as you think.

How can you say that they would have had a better chance last year. Corbin lost a lot of their offense from last years team and most of their linemen on both sides.
They lost both the Jewells, and Grubb. The only other guy that touched the ball was Waddle. Wouldn't that be most of their offense.
johnnyd Wrote:How can you say that they would have had a better chance last year. Corbin lost a lot of their offense from last years team and most of their linemen on both sides.

They did lose a couple pivotal lineman that will be hard to replace. But, they have some big kids stepping into those positions, but I'm not sold on if they can produce like their predecessors. But, Matt Jewell is really the only offensive threat they lost, and this year it will show just how many athletes are in this junior class. It's a shame that the Corbin's Senior class lost so many athletes.
johnnyd Wrote:They lost both the Jewells, and Grubb. The only other guy that touched the ball was Waddle. Wouldn't that be most of their offense.

Coppock, Powers, Nantz, Reedy twins, Jackson, Waddle, and now Taylor getting reps on Offense. Matt Jewell will be greatly missed, but the others will be upgrades at their positions.
I agree with both sides of the Corbin/Williamsburg debate. Top to bottom, I do think that corbin has more talent and would likely win a 4 quarter game but the gap has definitely closed and it wouldn't be a huge upset like it was a few years ago. The Jackets have more talent up top but once you get down into the depth chart, Corbin's talent takes over.

That being said, it brings me to a gripe about Corbin. So often, depth has been Corbin's downfall. It's not because they do not have depth, rather they do not utilize it. There are loads of talent over on those sidelines capable of playing and contributing. There is no need to play 25 players when you have damn near 70 kids on the roster. I can understand most freshmen and a few others not playing but get these kids on the field!
HAROLD Wrote:I agree with both sides of the Corbin/Williamsburg debate. Top to bottom, I do think that corbin has more talent and would likely win a 4 quarter game but the gap has definitely closed and it wouldn't be a huge upset like it was a few years ago. The Jackets have more talent up top but once you get down into the depth chart, Corbin's talent takes over.

That being said, it brings me to a gripe about Corbin. So often, depth has been Corbin's downfall. It's not because they do not have depth, rather they do not utilize it. There are loads of talent over on those sidelines capable of playing and contributing. There is no need to play 25 players when you have damn near 70 kids on the roster. I can understand most freshmen and a few others not playing but get these kids on the field!

I always wondered if depth cost Corbin a couple of wins against Newport Catholic. It seems like Corbin would at the worst, be playing even at the half and then NCC would take over in the second half. I'm not sure if it was depth or good halftime adjustments made by the NCC staff, who seemed to know exactly what Corbin was going to run and when, and the Hounds were not physically powerful enough to just run it down their throats anyway. One year Watkins was basically Corbin's only offensive threat due to no passing attack, and when he got injured prior to that game, he was used as a decoy, which didn't turn out too well.
SEKYFAN Wrote:I always wondered if depth cost Corbin a couple of wins against Newport Catholic. It seems like Corbin would at the worst, be playing even at the half and then NCC would take over in the second half. I'm not sure if it was depth or good halftime adjustments made by the NCC staff, who seemed to know exactly what Corbin was going to run and when, and the Hounds were not physically powerful enough to just run it down their throats anyway. One year Watkins was basically Corbin's only offensive threat due to no passing attack, and when he got injured prior to that game, he was used as a decoy, which didn't turn out too well.

That is a very good assumption. I'm by no means saying "favorites" are played but I do think Steve and the staff tends to limit the amount of players that get onto the field and it's came back to haunt them. Maybe they just don't want to fool with dealing with so many players? Who knows. I just know that Corbin has at worst 8-10 legit contributors each year on the sideline that do not even get a look come Friday nights.

How good would a Michael Campbell, Brady Foley, Matthew Jewell, Matthew Taylor, etc been if they just focused on playing one side of the ball? That's just naming a few of the most recent as examples.
Old Redhound Wrote:Wow, the Lawson's. Why do kids like this leave Whitley? And Brad was an impact player. The year W'burg beat Corbin Brad was out that game. And yes it would have been different if he played. While on the subject of Brad, he's the reason Corbin went to the Sweet 16 in basketball that year. Man seemed like he could block out an entire team on the basketball court.

You got me.
Too many people get there feelings hurt.
When little man isnt getting the touches, then it went bad.

If Jarrod had stayed at Whitley, he would have split touches with Adkins in the backfield and would have been used much more on defense, and why, im not sure, he was much better, but thats what would of happened.

If you'll remember, Whitley had almost beat Corbin in bball that year and if it werent for Brad playin at Corbin, Whitley would have won that game. It was a two point game.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next