Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 21 Belfry 14
Huge win for JC for sure. Congrats to the Eagles and good luck to both teams in the playoffs!
it also seems like from listening to the last few games,teams are doing what Ashland did and taking away the outside,and forcing them to try run inside,the futher down the road they get ,it may be harder to do both,and the tackling,last couple games is what hurt them alot against Central last year,they would have him hemmded up and he would break out of it or spin back and was gone..
Aslan Wrote:Told y'all Perry Central is better than Belfry.
That you did. Belfry is the second best team that Johnson Central has played this season. Ashland was the best. I expect that Belfry will make a strong run at another state title and that Ashland will easily win its first round playoff game and may reach the regional finals.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Unofficially per EKB

Jude 16 carries, 119 yards, TD
Dillon 11 carries, 60 yards

How many more yards does Jude need
Belfry - 7, Ashland - 6
Johnson Central - 6, Ashland - 22
Belfry - 14, Johnson Central - 21
Perry Central - 35, Johnson Central - 27

Looks like they're all pretty close to me ... Can't say I'd know who would win a Perry/Belfry matchup.
perry central had best case scenario buy playing us early in the year ,at this point of the year they are not within 21 points of us . not saying this to start something ,just saying . and by no means are they in the same class of team as ashland and belfry.our team was young and inexperienced at the time we played perry with a quaterback with no varisty time with the belly offense ,and if you have played football you that the belly read is not easy.
Perry Central had best case scenario by playing us early in the year. We had a sophomore quarterback with no varsity experience, a defense with only 4-5 returning starters, and if you've played football and you know the belly you know it is hard to learn. We don't teach it in our middle school program so this kid had very little time to learn a very difficult offense. The defense hadn't starting gelling yet. I'm not saying this to start a fight, it's just a personal opinion cause I've seen all three teams play and I know where we're at as far as strengths and weaknesses at this point in the season. I don't think Perry Central is within 21 points of us at where we are now. And by no means are they the same caliber as an Ashland or Belfry. So after all this, let the fireworks begin. TongueirateSho
sorry about the double post, router lost connection wasnt finished
I wouldn't guarantee a big win if Perry Central and JC played again right now, but I think you'd see a much different game. JC's secondary is leaps and bounds better than it was in week 2 of the season with the game and practice experience they've gotten.

I don't know that I'd say PCC is better than Belfry, based on a score comparison. You could also make a comparison that Ashland beat JC by 16, and Belfry beat Ashland by 1, so that would make Belfry 17 points better than JC. And then you could say PCC only beat JC by 8, so Belfry's still 9 points better than that...it's a slippery slope. It's all about match-ups.
Diogenes Wrote:You could also make a comparison that Ashland beat JC by 16, and Belfry beat Ashland by 1, so that would make Belfry 17 points better than JC.

Huh? There is another game to factor into your equation.
honestjchsfan Wrote:Ashland is really not that good of a team. 3A is going to be a tougher row to hoe with Bell in the picture this year. Belfry will have to play much better than they did tonite to make it back to State finals. Goodluck to Belfry in the playoffs

22-6 enough said.
Aslan Wrote:Not going to argue that, but I still believe Perry would beat Belfry Big Grin

Then get 'em on the schedule.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:22-6 enough said.

You are right...but it took playing JC 7 times and JC winning 5 district championships before winning one. Also, this years seniors at JC had beat Ashland 3 times (twice in your backyard) compared to the Tomcats 1. A blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then I guess.
Emmit Brown Wrote:You are right...but it took playing JC 7 times and JC winning 5 district championships before winning one. Also, this years seniors at JC had beat Ashland 3 times (twice in your backyard) compared to the Tomcats 1. A blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then I guess.

Ha ha well then maybe JC will stumble upon a state title one of these days. But its all in good fun hope to see u guys on the .18th
On a neutral dry field, give me Perry, RIGHT NOW.
Remember Perry won and it was at JC.
I completely respect what JC has done, but I believe you guys are underestimating Perry Central this year.
horst muhlmann Wrote:[quote=sstack]

Covington Holmes just lost 41-0 to Covington Holy Cross, a much smaller school.

JC will handle Holmes handily.
I was thinking Holmes was better. I hope you are right. I still think they need to be sharp and not turn the ball over.
red&white Wrote:Honestjchsfan Thats the best you can do. Our area happens to be on the border and doesnt cover the area that paintsville covers. Dont act like you dont have kids who transfer. I hate to tell you but JC may never win a state let alone play for one. The season starts off with teams wanting to go to state, and Belfry has many times! That includes district,region,and semi finals wins. State runner up as well that may mean nothing to you but does to us. To me thats a lot of catching up to do. Dont forget while you are playing catch up Belfry will still be going forward. JC is a great team year after year and Matney is a class act in my book. May not be with wv kids but if you do win one soon it will be with a Belfry man as coach now thats the $h!t.:eyeroll:
I don't know what I said to push your button but yes JCHS has had a bunch of guys transfer, Joey Couch, Greg Slone and Craig Ratliff are names that come to mind, they were all D-1 athletes that transferred to Paintsville. So, since Matney is from Belfry and Haywood is from Prestonsburg does that mean those 2 state Championships tropies Belfry won should be in P-burgs trophy case? By your logic it does. Since Belfry has only beat Ashland 3 times that tells me that no Class in Belfry histroy has a 75% winning percentage vs Ashland. I think most Mountain Football fans would agree that it is a great accomplishment. Regional titles do mean alot and Belfry has won many. The stability of Belfry's coaching staff is the major reason for their success. JCHS on the other hand had 4 different coachs in the 80's alone. If you think the Paintsville/Johnson Co area has not produced great Athletes over the years you are Dead wrong. I don't know for sure but I would bet that since 1980 the Paintsville/Johnson Co area has produced more D1 Athletes in Football Basketball and Baseball than Pike Co. even though Johnson Co has only 2 high Schools and 1/3 the population and is no where near WV.
honestjchsfan Wrote:I don't know what I said to push your button but yes JCHS has had a bunch of guys transfer, Joey Couch, Greg Slone and Craig Ratliff are names that come to mind, they were all D-1 athletes that transferred to Paintsville. So, since Matney is from Belfry and Haywood is from Prestonsburg does that mean those 2 state Championships tropies Belfry won should be in P-burgs trophy case? By your logic it does. Since Belfry has only beat Ashland 3 times that tells me that no Class in Belfry histroy has a 75% winning percentage vs Ashland. I think most Mountain Football fans would agree that it is a great accomplishment. Regional titles do mean alot and Belfry has won many. The stability of Belfry's coaching staff is the major reason for their success. JCHS on the other hand had 4 different coachs in the 80's alone. If you think the Paintsville/Johnson Co area has not produced great Athletes over the years you are Dead wrong. I don't know for sure but I would bet that since 1980 the Paintsville/Johnson Co area has produced more D1 Athletes in Football Basketball and Baseball than Pike Co. even though Johnson Co has only 2 high Schools and 1/3 the population and is no where near WV.

Is it Belfry and Pike County's fault that WV border is 2 minutes away? Blame that on our history man. The lord put the river that separates them there so is it his fault too? Geesh, people will never let it die.

OTOH, the Pirates came out flat and didn't execute. Hopefully they will be back on track and ready to play some football. Don't overlook anyone- As everyone else will be out for blood against the Pirates.
mr bojangles 007 Wrote:a lost by the pirates could be a blessing . now its time to start the playoffs and get down too bussiness.belfry,s offense look sloppy at times.a lot of haters may not admit. but justin johnson,s runnin was truly missed and zack thackers tackling on the defense side show its head.so to say they wouldn,t made a different is crazy anytime u put more speed on it does.and were was all these so called deep runnin backs we always hear about. can,t wait to see them play because johnson is gone for the season.when u play big teams u need big playmakers thats all i am saying coach haywood is a excellent coach and will adjust. the first two games in the playoffs are a gimme for belfry then it tightens. good luck on ur playoff run.:HitWall:

There are no Justin Johnson haters in Belfry. You are one of many that have stated on here that Belfry has several good running backs. Each one of the players has proven to be valuable in their own way. Just because Johnson was out, don't bash the other players (and that is what you are doing when you said… and where are all these so called running backs we always hear about) shame…shame :dontthink
honestjchsfan Wrote:I was thinking Holmes was better. I hope you are right. I still think they need to be sharp and not turn the ball over.

I'm thinking that Holmes will stack everyone in the box and try to make JC throw, but I'm also thinking that everyone else does the same thing to little effect. True, turnovers would be killers, but JC should put Holmes down fairly easily.
I REALLY hope Justin Johnson isn't truly out for the remainder of the season. He has been a very good running back for the Pirates, maybe the most consistent all year. Losing him deals a hard blow to the Pirates chances at a deep run.

If anyone truly close to the program could give an accurate injury report, that would be awesome. I had no idea Thacker was even out this past Friday until I saw him in plain clothes on the sidelines.

Thacker?
J.J.?
James May?

Love to see all of those guys back at least by 3rd round game.
PaytoPlay Wrote:I REALLY hope Justin Johnson isn't truly out for the remainder of the season. He has been a very good running back for the Pirates, maybe the most consistent all year. Losing him deals a hard blow to the Pirates chances at a deep run.

If anyone truly close to the program could give an accurate injury report, that would be awesome. I had no idea Thacker was even out this past Friday until I saw him in plain clothes on the sidelines.

Thacker?
J.J.?
James May?

Thacker should be back in another week or so. Sprained his MCL
James May is out. Torn ACL or MCL not sure as of which one.
Justin I'm not sure about. IMHO, being extra cautious of his injuries right now and not taking any chances with him.

On a side note, I do think #29 did a good job coming in and covering the spot Thacker usually covers. I know they move so many around on the field and they shift some here and there but he has another year as well and getting a chance at some play time to allow Thacker to rest up is a good opportunity. Praying for all the boys to heal quickly and all get healthy as winning is a TEAM effort and we need them all!
Congrats Johnson Central.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PaytoPlay Wrote:I REALLY hope Justin Johnson isn't truly out for the remainder of the season. He has been a very good running back for the Pirates, maybe the most consistent all year. Losing him deals a hard blow to the Pirates chances at a deep run.

Thacker?
J.J.?
James May?

Spoke to Justin last night, he told me he gets to play again in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Zach Thacker probably could play Friday, but will likely be given another week of rest.

James' mother had said on Facebook that he wouldn't be out for the season, Don't know how true it is, but I remember seeing it.
Aslan Wrote:On a neutral dry field, give me Perry, RIGHT NOW.
Remember Perry won and it was at JC.
I completely respect what JC has done, but I believe you guys are underestimating Perry Central this year.

If you want to play the score comparison game, how about this?

Belfry beat Pike Central on the road 53-20
Pike Central beat Prestonsburg on the road 53-7
So Belfry is (33+46) 79 points better than Prestonsburg
Perry Central beat Prestonsburg by 1 point at home
So at the worst, Belfry is 78 points better than Perry Central

Ridiculous? Of course it is, that is why it is foolish to use score comparisons to predict matchups.

High school football is about matchups, emotions and personnel. Moreso than any other level of football it is about what you get on any given Friday.

Belfry and Perry Central would be a great game, IMO, why don't we just leave it at that.
Just back in town. Can't everyone just get along... All I said last week was JC needed to get more kids involved running the ball and I got people mad that said I was bashing Coach matney. He does it at pond creek and gets a win. Good job JC. Belfry will be in the region finals with a chance to go play for a state championship.
You know who Im talking to by this reply. I have know dog in this fight. Coach done what he should have done at ashland and it worked and it worked at belpry.
I ment 2 say, should have done what he did against belfry at ashland and maybe won the football guy.

Hey if I cant reply back to you in a prvate message. DONT SEND ME ONE!!!!!!!