Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classiest football teams?
I think Jackson County had some classy players. I know when Powell played them last year, after our first play, one of their players approached me and said that he was sorry about our loss. Talking about Billy Eversole and Brian Rowland. I thought that was very classy.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I tell you what would be classy. If posters would lists teams other then their own. I nominated Belfry but I have seen Belfry fans nominate Belfry and Rock fans nominate Rockcastle. This sounds a little egotistical to me. Swallow your pride and make a nice comment about an opposing team.

One Rock fan boasted Rockcastle so far. I have seen a couple Bell county guys boast Rock as well.

lwc Wrote:Is every person going to nominate every team they play and their own team?

I started pointing this out on the first page.

I have been watching from the stands this season I didn't get to go to the Madison Southern game but everyone tells me that they were classy. I can't speak for Coach Mills or the Knox Central team but SOME of the fans and the school officials/ticket seller/guy driving around on the golfcart-gator thing were very classy.
Sounds like any team that doesn't dance on your logo at midfield, doesn't talk trash the whole game, doesn't gouge eyes in a pile, and shakes hands after the game is "classy".
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:Sounds like any team that doesn't dance on your logo at midfield, doesn't talk trash the whole game, doesn't gouge eyes in a pile, and shakes hands after the game is "classy".

Interesing observation. Kind of brings to mind the question of :what determines if a team is classy?

To me, a team, the players and a program display class if:

1. obviously the lack of dirty play on the field. No late hits, no cheap shots etc.

2. visiting team is treated well by the host team. To the extent physically possible, the visiting team has the same "amenities" as the host team.

3. visiting fans are treated well by the host fans. No booing of the visiting team when they enter the field. Visiting fans aren't harassed by the host fans.

4. when a player scores, he doesn't drop the ball in the endzone and make the ref retrieve it. Rather, the player simply hands the ball to the ref and there is a minimum of celebration. Admittedly, in a close game, kids can be forgiven for doing some celebration, but when the game isn't in doubt and a kid on the winning team scores and really celebrates, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As the Bear said, act like you been there before.

5. I am very impressed when the winning players say something after the game to the losing players about the tough loss or how well the losing players played.

6. losing coaches who are interviewed after the loss give credit to the winning team for simply being better and don't give excuses for the loss.
charlie22 Wrote:Interesing observation. Kind of brings to mind the question of :what determines if a team is classy?

To me, a team, the players and a program display class if:

1. obviously the lack of dirty play on the field. No late hits, no cheap shots etc.

2. visiting team is treated well by the host team. To the extent physically possible, the visiting team has the same "amenities" as the host team.

3. visiting fans are treated well by the host fans. No booing of the visiting team when they enter the field. Visiting fans aren't harassed by the host fans.

4. when a player scores, he doesn't drop the ball in the endzone and make the ref retrieve it. Rather, the player simply hands the ball to the ref and there is a minimum of celebration. Admittedly, in a close game, kids can be forgiven for doing some celebration, but when the game isn't in doubt and a kid on the winning team scores and really celebrates, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As the Bear said, act like you been there before.

5. I am very impressed when the winning players say something after the game to the losing players about the tough loss or how well the losing players played.

6. losing coaches who are interviewed after the loss give credit to the winning team for simply being better and don't give excuses for the loss.

All good points. I say, let this be the criteria for "classy".
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:All good points. I say, let this be the criteria for "classy".

I'm sure there are more. What do other people think about what actions or non-actions personify class in a team, a program, a player and/or a coach?

Who knows, maybe some coaches, players, fans and administrators may learn something and modify their actions. Hey, I'm an optimist (a naive one, but an optimist nonetheless).:Thumbs:
I would say Prestonsburg blackcats are the classiest that we have played this year. Their players, coaches, as well as fans showed a lot of respect. I would have to disagree with a lot of the comments about Belfry. I don't think the problem lies so much with the coach and players, however the fans are IMPOSSIBLE. I have personally seen some Belfry fans curse at children and say thing to coaches from the side lines. I'm not saying it is all fans, but the majority of them are very over the top.
I've never stepped foot on a football field so I can't really say who I think the classiest "teams" are. But I do see Prestonsburg helping up their opponents off the ground numerous times during games. For the most part, Prestonsburg is a classy football team. Now, the fans on the other hand, are not. I bleed Prestonsburg red & black as much as anyone, but I'm not too blind to see what can go on. That has always been my one complaint of Prestonsburg football.

The only team I have really ever had a problem with is Sheldon Clark. I know when I played basketball, they were as dirty as they came. I'm sure things change over time though so I can't say anything about them now. I just knew back then to expect some cheap shots. I think every time we met up with Sheldon Clark, there was always a skirmish about to break out. We had to wait in the locker room after one game at Sheldon Clark just so the fans would have time to leave. The fans were throwing stuff at us as we were walking off the court. But like I said, that was then and this is now. Things may have changed.
HENRY CONTY no doubt about it.
Class in high school football??!!?? even the nicest young men get mean and nasty for 48 minutes on a friday night might be classy at the end but in the game its all business...