Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Russell Semi Finals (predictions, thoughts)
I'm sure that there will be plenty of non-Russell fans from the surrounding areas there cheering for the Red Devils this Friday...it's to be expected. But, just like with any close schools, there will also be the fans that will be cheering against them due to hated rivalries that can't be overcame.

Either way, Belfry will have what they always have...Belfry faithful. I'm hoping that people from our surrounding schools will make the trip and help support the Pirates.

What I don't understand is this...if Russell has all of these amazing backs this year, why were they not being utilized on last years team and helping Gross with all of the carries. I know that Clark got pretty good playing time, but was a total non factor in the game last year. Where were the other ones?

I'm going to have to go back and read the previous Russell threads from this past season and see what was good and bad about the way they play.
casey was Gross backup he shared snaps every game due to gross injury that limited him to runs. But casey has seen some action last year almost in every game and tommy brown shared snaps as well.
tomcatnation Wrote:casey was Gross backup he shared snaps every game due to gross injury that limited him to runs. But casey has seen some action last year almost in every game and tommy brown shared snaps as well.

I guess it's just where all you heard from Russell fans last year was GROSS, GROSS, GROSS, and oh yeah did I mention GROSS. That's where I was thrown a little. I just assumed that Gross could have used more help and a couple of less carries if there was awesome talent on the sidelines.
I am sure there will be quite a few Belfry supporters cross the river from Tiger country come Friday
Yea i was sick and tired of the name had me grossed out. But casey clark subbed in and help kept gross freash as well as the O.
orisonspi Wrote:I am sure there will be quite a few Belfry supporters cross the river from Tiger country come Friday

That would be awesome to have some our friends from Ironton Tiger country to come across the river and join the Pond Creek Nation...TongueirateSho
The Undertaker Wrote:Well, for one thing it's no big secret that the Ashland fans are pulling for Russell....Confusedhh: . I mean as much as Belfry fans were pulling for Ashland to win it all, then you turn your backs on us when you all get beat, thats typical.....even Raceland,Greenup Co. and the other area schools have been invited to come out in force to cheer against Belfry. Looks like some P'Burg fans have joined with Russell, I thought us mountain schools stuck together ???...I guess I was wrong !

I also have a feeling that Belfry can pull it off if they play like thay have been playing...You gotta remember that no one gave Belfry a chance this year, well these boys have worked hard to get where they are at, and they have proven everyone wrong time and time again.

As far as the turf thing goes, we have played many games this year without "the turf " as well we have played in the mud at Prestonsburg and it didnt phase Belfry one bit. We even practice on real grass and dirt....so it looks as if that theory is shot down too. It appears as if some team is nervous and is trying to think of any way they can to get into the minds mentally of Belfry and try to intimidate them.

Well, rest assured, Belfry has been here before....we have played in front of large crowds, on statewide television, mud,and snow and we have done fairly well in those conditions the last two seasons I do believe..

Keep underestimating the Pirates just like Sheldon Clark did, we'll see who is playing basketball next week....

Belfry isn't the only mountain school in this game. Russell is a mountain school as well. Russell High School and Paul G. Blazer High School are only 10-15 minutes apart. I don't mind to see either team win although I will be pulling more for Russell. Most of the kids from Ashland and Russell know each other very well and on a personal basis. Many have girlfriends from the other schools where they hang out with the other schools players during dances and other school events and many of the football players even hang out with each other on a regular basis, during the season and off-season. That's what makes the rivalry with Ashland and Russell so great. It's close, both teams are high caliber, you know most of the other team personally, and there are other people on the team you still hate. That's a rivalry.
i can understand ashland pulling for russell, it doesnt bother me in the least, frankly it bothers me that we all assume that everyone is a belfry fan after thier team gets knocked out. yes, i am a belfry fan and a mountain football fan in general, but guys, a LOT of people dont like us and it hasnt hurt us in the past. lets just focus on the task at hand and get ready for the war that russell is going to give us this friday, the fans will be there, we always are.....let the boys fight it out on the field, not argue over who the fans are pulling for in here.
I do not hate belfry but I just like t-cat said have alot of pals like clark and brown but I just would love to see a school around this area get known for something like win a regional title.
tomcatnation Wrote:I do not hate belfry but I just like t-cat said have alot of pals like clark and brown but I just would love to see a school around this area get known for something like win a regional title.

never said anybody hated us, just tryin to get back to talkin about the game:Thumbs: :rock: *there is too much at stake friday to worry about who is cheering for who
MR.INCREDIBLE Wrote:never said anybody hated us, just tryin to get back to talkin about the game:Thumbs: :rock: *there is too much at stake friday to worry about who is cheering for who

Allright ok back to the game and sorry if I had affended anyone on their team in any way.
Belfry by 7
27-20
Pirate Pal Wrote:I guess it's just where all you heard from Russell fans last year was GROSS, GROSS, GROSS, and oh yeah did I mention GROSS. That's where I was thrown a little. I just assumed that Gross could have used more help and a couple of less carries if there was awesome talent on the sidelines.

Im going to try to go to the game and if i get there I will be cheering for Belfry the way I look at is id rather a team in our district than a team from out of district.
[QUOTE="MR.INCREDIBLE"]a LOT of people dont like us and it hasnt hurt us in the past. QUOTE]

Yea, for real......we're "the Dark Evil Empire" Smile

We've always had a target on our backs even when we had'nt won any titles just because Belfry is written on the front of our jersey's.

This game will be won on the field between the hashes, not on Bluegrassrivals.com or any "other" site.

Sure, having a large fanbase at a game can affect a referee decision at one time or the other, all I know is come friday the Pond Creek Nation will arrive on Red Devil lane in full force to watch their beloved Pirates. I'm sure there will be some Blackcats, Panthers, Cardinals & Ironton Tigers with us...:Nodding:

Go Pirates !!!!
Good Luck to both teams!!
How is Russell's visitor seating?

Decent size? Or any at all??
Decent size, HG. I don't have a number but it seats a lot. Still, I'm sure everyone will want to get there early this week, should be another giant crowd like you guys had last year.
Beflry played a perfect game againist SC on friday.....they are on a hot streak right now and i dont see them slowing down for anybody...i pick them by 14 over Russell
HappyGilmore Wrote:How is Russell's visitor seating?

Decent size? Or any at all??

It's not huge, but it will fix the Belfry faithful just fine. It fits the Ashland fans and we're only going 15 minutes down the road to get there. Ashland gets the visitor side rocking. I wouldn't honestly worry about seating too much except for the fact that Russell is the only local team remaining in the playoffs, on either side of the river, and many people who are not affiliated with either team will be at the game. It should be a great atmosphere.
Tomcat68 Wrote:It's not huge, but it will fix the Belfry faithful just fine. It fits the Ashland fans and we're only going 15 minutes down the road to get there. Ashland gets the visitor side rocking. I wouldn't honestly worry about seating too much except for the fact that Russell is the only local team remaining in the playoffs, on either side of the river, and many people who are not affiliated with either team will be at the game. It should be a great atmosphere.

I'm figuring get there earlier, then grab a seat & freeze. Or, get there late to keep warm as long as I can, but I'll have to stand.

Either way we're gonna see a heck of a game Friday night so its a win-win situation in my book.:rock:
You shouldn't be sitting in such a big game anyway!!!
I can't wait for this game.

Never thought we'd be here when the season started, but we grew through those growing pains much quicker than I figured.

Go Pirates, take care of the Red Devils and take us back to the pizza box.

Woooooo Hoooooo
HappyGilmore Wrote:I'm figuring get there earlier, then grab a seat & freeze. Or, get there late to keep warm as long as I can, but I'll have to stand.

Either way we're gonna see a heck of a game Friday night so its a win-win situation in my book.:rock:

I figure either way I'm going to freeze.
Make sure you take plenty of insulation.

If you already have a lot of insulation, then make sure you take plenty of warm clothes. LOL
Beef Wrote:You shouldn't be sitting in such a big game anyway!!!

Their we go I like that right there!
Good Luck Pirates. Make us proud again and again and again.
Good luck pirates, and go get them red devils once again!! Another carpet ride in 05!
Bat Masterson Wrote:If you already have a lot of insulation, then make sure you take plenty of warm clothes. LOL
:lmao: :lmao: :lol: :lol:
:Skull03: BELFRY all the way baby!:wenumber1 Go Pirates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think with Fort Campbell losing this could be the game that decides the state championship. Russell has played some very good football as of late and does have home-field advantage, but I tend to frown upon the wing-t offense. The wing-t is based more around mis-direction and I feel it is less effective against well coached teams that read their keys well. If the Belfry LBs read their guard they will be lead to the ball all night. Since I think Belfry is extremley well coached, and I am pulling for our region's team so I'm going to go with the boys from Pond Creek. Good luck to both teams and it should be a dandy.

Belfry: 28
Russell: 17