Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends of America Rally - Labor Day
TheRealVille Wrote:Yea, it's a conservative "tea" party from what I see.

What's with the speaker from England? Edit: I see now, he is a friend of Don Blankenship.

What tipped you off? The karaoke contest. :eyeroll:
Old School Wrote:Since your using Wikipedia for information to criticize Mr. Blankenship. Why not use Wikipedia's information to show his community service?

Blankenship founded Massey Energy Spousal Groups that lead all charitable work for the company and its employees. The Massey website describes them as "Massey provides financial support to the Groups as they assist children, the elderly, fire departments and many other deserving individuals and programs. Projects include town and stream cleanups, schoolbook fairs, local park improvement, senior citizen appreciation dinners and the annual Christmas Extravaganzas." [26]
In 2008, Blankenship pledged $1 million for the spousal groups to use in communities throughout their operating region. [27]
A 2005 Associated Press story stated that Blankenship has given millions to the community, [28] and included a quote from Matewan Depot Restaurant owner Donna May, "Don Blankenship is one of the best friends Matewan has ever had ... Everybody talks about this mean ogre and 'Oh, he's so dirty,'" May said. "Well, excuse me, there's a lot of things about Don that people just don't see." [29]
Blankenship has often been quoted saying, "it doesn't matter whether you're hated or not. All that matters is that you do the right thing." [30]

His community involvement doesn't do away with him being a very shady character in business and politics.
Double post.
TheRealVille Wrote:His community involvement doesn't do away with him being a very shady character.

I neither like or dislike Mr. Blankenship, your post criticized him, I felt the need to post a positive about him. Nothing more nothing less.
Wonder what they got accomplished today? Maybe if they didn't make it a conservative party, and more about coal, they would get more support.

Looks like Obama's power reaches across the globe.
Quote:China Plans Big Layoffs Of Coal Mine Workers

China has laid off 100,000 coal workers and will lay off hundreds of thousands more in the coming years, as part of a broad effort to modernize its energy industry, an official report said today.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/29/busine...rkers.html

The 72 layoffs back in July at Pontiki that you all layed on Obama were in fact for this reason,
Quote:“This was due to a downturn in the demand for coal and also lessened prices for the type of coal that we mine,” Elmer Howard said.
When people aren’t spending money, it trickles down to everybody. I mean to the local merchants, to everybody,” Judge Executive Callaham said.
http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/51343682.html
Quote:Teco Coal officials announce layoffs

Dozens more coal miners are out of a job.

Teco Coal officials say the decreasing demand for coal forced them to make production cutbacks at the Clintwood-Elkhorn Mines in the Biggs area of Pike County and across the state line in Hurley, Virginia.

38 employees were laid off.

Teco officials say they will hire back the workers if the coal market improves.

Officials at the office of employment training in Pikeville say they helping those laid off.
Dozens more coal miners are out of a job.

Nothing about Obama, just lowered demand.

Quote:Foundation Coal Announces Layoffs

Foundation Coal is laying off 60 miners in southern West Virginia.
The company will also trim production at a mine located in the towns of Pax in Fayette County and Paynter Branch in Wyoming County.

How much production will be reduced has not been announced yet. The company is citing falling prices and lower demands for the cuts.
http://www.wvmetronews.com/index.cfm?fun...ryid=30661

Quote:. Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Patriot Coal to layoff 314 workers

Patriot Coal said that it's shutting down a surface mine in southern West Virginia as part of a strategy to concentrate production at lower-cost operations.
http://layofftracker.blogspot.com/2009/0...rkers.html

Quote:60 Layoffs in Foundation Coal Mines
Chief Executive James Roberts blames declining prices and demand for the cuts in a regulatory filing Friday.
http://www.wsaz.com/dollarsandsense/head...88032.html

Quote:Maple Coal announces layoffs in Fayette, Kanawha

“In light of the deepening global recession and depressed demand for metallurgical coal, we are positioning the company to optimize operating costs and only ship into existing sales contracts. We cannot justify depleting our best reserves at current market prices. ADC controls large amounts of quality reserves and we are well positioned and equipped to continue our long-term growth and expansion plans when markets rebound.”
http://www.register-herald.com/business/...95448.html
Just got home, and I'll tell ya it was unbelievable!! Today was a good day.
There are several reason that the demand for coal is down, one is due to the cool summer we've had, another is due the number of factories that have been shut down which has reduced the demand of electricity, and the simple fact that people are just being more conservative.

Miners have many concerns but the two main concerns brought up at the rally was, the EPA's involvement in reviewing mining permits and not releasing them in a timely manner. As of today the EPA is holding over 80 mining permits (which the EPA said they would release by the middle of September) on top of that the Army Corp of Engineers offices have more than 100 sitting on their desk. Mining companies for years have planned permits ahead of their current mining operations, but with all of the delays over the past several years that many of these companies are now mining on their last permits, not knowing when or if they will be able to obtain other permits.

The second concern is the cap and tax bill being pushed the senate, which will raise electric bills (Obama said that would cause higher rates). Everyone knows that coal is the cheapest form of electricity we have, this administration is bound and determined to bring the cost of engery produced from coal, gas, oil, nuclear, solar and wind more in line with each other, and cap and tax bill is designed to do exactly that.
Old School Wrote:Everyone knows that coal is the cheapest form of electricity we have, this administration is bound and determined to bring the cost of engery produced from coal, gas, oil, nuclear, solar and wind more in line with each other, and cap and tax bill is designed to do exactly that.
Are you prepared to use coal just because of the cheaper rates at the expense of your kids, kids?
Old School Wrote:There are several reason that the demand for coal is down, one is due to the cool summer we've had, another is due the number of factories that have been shut down which has reduced the demand of electricity, and the simple fact that people are just being more conservative.

Miners have many concerns but the two main concerns brought up at the rally was, the EPA's involvement in reviewing mining permits and not releasing them in a timely manner. As of today the EPA is holding over 80 mining permits (which the EPA said they would release by the middle of September) on top of that the Army Corp of Engineers offices have more than 100 sitting on their desk. Mining companies for years have planned permits ahead of their current mining operations, but with all of the delays over the past several years that many of these companies are now mining on their last permits, not knowing when or if they will be able to obtain other permits.

The second concern is the cap and tax bill being pushed the senate, which will raise electric bills (Obama said that would cause higher rates). Everyone knows that coal is the cheapest form of electricity we have, this administration is bound and determined to bring the cost of engery produced from coal, gas, oil, nuclear, solar and wind more in line with each other, and cap and tax bill is designed to do exactly that.

You hit the nail on the head:notworthy One more thing that you failed to mention was that with the resignation of Mr. Jones over the weekend and as of today at the rally we losed one Czar and gained three more, Venison Czar, Gun Czar, and Logic Czar all rolled into one, Uncle Ted Nugent.:lmao::lmao::lmao:
TheRealVille Wrote:Are you prepared to use coal just because of the cheaper rates at the expense of your kids, kids?

What expense? Those left wing enviros have brain washed you.

Since you brought up at the expense of your kids, it apparent that you are willing to back Obama on everything, at the expense of your kids and grandkids.
Old School Wrote:Miners have many concerns but the two main concerns brought up at the rally was, the EPA's involvement in reviewing mining permits and not releasing them in a timely manner. As of today the EPA is holding over 80 mining permits (which the EPA said they would release by the middle of September) on top of that the Army Corp of Engineers offices have more than 100 sitting on their desk. Mining companies for years have planned permits ahead of their current mining operations, but with all of the delays over the past several years that many of these companies are now mining on their last permits, not knowing when or if they will be able to obtain other permits.

So, the old permit writers(Corps) are just as much to blame as the EPA? You all said the handing over permits to the EPA was the reason coal was down. That the EPA wasn't issuing them. It looks like the Corps is just as bad. The operators in the articles didn't mention this as the reason though. Who should I believe?

Edit: "delays over the past several years"... But Obama has only been in office 7 months?
TheRealVille Wrote:So, the old permit writers(Corps) are just as much to blame as the EPA? You all said the handing over permits to the EPA was the reason coal was down. The operators in the articles didn't mention this.

No, the Corps are not really the ones to blame, the corps have had their hands tied by the courts for the past 10 years or so. I did not say the EPA was the reason coal was down, I did say one the miners concerns was the EPA's involvement in the permitting process which causes more delays in obtaining permits.
Old School Wrote:No, the Corps are not really the ones to blame, the corps have had their hands tied by the courts for the past 10 years or so. I did not say the EPA was the reason coal was down, I did say one the miners concerns was the EPA's involvement in the permitting process which causes more delays in obtaining permits.
So, it isn't Obama? If it has been going on for the last 10 years, Bush is responsible for 8 of that.

So.... "Obama bad" is just a right wing mantra, and not because of his coal stance. All these coal troubles have been coming for years?

Quote:There are several reason that the demand for coal is down, one is due to the cool summer we've had, another is due the number of factories that have been shut down which has reduced the demand of electricity, and the simple fact that people are just being more conservative.
This I agree with.
TheRealVille Wrote:So, it isn't Obama? If it has been going on for the last 10 years, Bush is responsible for 8 of that.

Apparently you are not familar with the lawsuit by anti coal groups in West Virginia, that started 1998 (the Clinton years) when Judge Hadyen ruled against valley fills, his ruling has been going back and forth since 1998.
Since Obama took office in January he has given the EPA the authority to review the corps approvals before the final appoval is issued. Thus making it Obama responsible and not Bush's or Clinton's.
Quote:CHARLESTON, West Virginia, May 9, 2002 (ENS) - For a second time, a federal judge in West Virginia has ruled that mountaintop mining permits that allow the dumping of mine wastes into streams and valleys are illegal. The ruling comes within a week of a decision by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Environmental Protection Agency that would expand approval for such mining operations.

A mountaintop removal mine in West Virginia (Four photos courtesy Mountaintop Mining Lookout Group)
Federal District Court Judge Charles Haden ruled that all permits issued by the Army Corps of Engineers to allow mining waste to be discharged into waterways are inconsistent with the Clean Water Act, and therefore illegal.
Haden also ruled that the new regulations signed by the Corps and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) last Friday to legalize this practice are not within those agencies' authority under the Clean Water Act and contrary to both the letter and the spirit of the law.

"The Court holds that section 404 of the Clean Water Act does not allow filling the waters of the United States solely for waste disposal," wrote Haden in his decision. "Only the United States Congress can rewrite the Act to allow fills with no purpose or use but the deposit of waste."
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/may2002/...-09-07.asp
TheRealVille Wrote:http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/may2002/...-09-07.asp

What is your point with this post????
Old School Wrote:What is your point with this post????
That you were blaming the judge for his ruling. He was just going by the law and told his reasons for his judgement.

Quote:"The Court holds that section 404 of the Clean Water Act does not allow filling the waters of the United States solely for waste disposal," wrote Haden in his decision. "Only the United States Congress can rewrite the Act to allow fills with no purpose or use but the deposit of waste."
TheRealVille Wrote:That you were blaming the judge for his ruling. He was just going by the law and told his reasons for his judgement.

Right or wrong, he was going by his interpretation of the law, regardless his decision was later overturned by the appeals court.
Old School Wrote:Right or wrong, he was going by his interpretation of the law, regardless his decision was later overturned by the appeals court.

No...the one the appeals court turned was in 2001 from his 99 decision, this one was from 2002, it stuck.

This part of the article stuck out to me.

Quote:"Both the legislative and judicial branches of government came out in opposition to what the executive branch did to the Clean Water Act on May 3," said Joan Mulhern, senior legislative counsel for Earthjustice. "This should send a strong message to the Bush administration - and the public - that the administration's attempt to undermine the Clean Water Act is not only wrong, it is illegal."
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Yep, Obama was left with a mess that noone can fix and hes taking all the blame.

The President taking all the blame..boy, Obama is really facing unheard of adversity.
Its "interpretation" when Old School and his Coal lovin/Mountain hatin buddies don't get their way.

When they do get their way(Courtesy of guys like Fmr. WV Supreme Court Justice Benjamin) and are allowed to destroy entire ecosystems and communities, it's a fair and balanced judgment.
^^Destroy "entire ecosystems and communities?" LOL that's just nutty. OK so is "Coal lovin/Mountain hatin." OK the whole post is nutty.:thatsfunn
jetpilot Wrote:^^Destroy "entire ecosystems and communities?" LOL that's just nutty. OK so is "Coal lovin/Mountain hatin." OK the whole post is nutty.:thatsfunn
I did that one just for you JP!:Thumbs:

All that science stuff is confusing I know, but bear with me.
DevilsWin Wrote:I did that one just for you JP!:Thumbs:

All that science stuff is confusing I know, but bear with me.
:yawn:
DevilsWin Wrote::yawn:

There's no doubt that you certainly are a science expert, DW. Let's see, I'm guessing you majored in chemistry, right?Confusedhh:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:There's no doubt that you certainly are a science expert, DW. Let's see, I'm guessing you majored in chemistry, right?Confusedhh:
With a minor in "making you mad"! :Clap:
DevilsWin Wrote:Its "interpretation" when Old School and his Coal lovin/Mountain hatin buddies don't get their way.

When they do get their way(Courtesy of guys like Fmr. WV Supreme Court Justice Benjamin) and are allowed to destroy entire ecosystems and communities, it's a fair and balanced judgment.

Your right on with that statement. Ive done the studies myself at some local sites. Some people need to read up on the definitions of an ecosystem and a community, and do a little research on forest fragmentation or biomagnification, it may open up some eyes.
DevilsWin Wrote:With a minor in "making you mad"! :Clap:

Then you have failed mightily. Learned early as a child that one should not anger at stupidy and ignorance. One should merely consider the source and look over it the best one can.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Your right on with that statement. Ive done the studies myself at some local sites. Some people need to read up on the definitions of an ecosystem and a community, and do a little research on forest fragmentation or biomagnification, it may open up some eyes.

I've done some research myself on forest fragmentation and biomagnification, you know what I learned? I learned that there are plenty of biased sites that give only half of the facts.

You talk a lot about research Coach, how much research have you done about the coal industry, cap-and-trade, and things of that nature? My guess is not so much. So, in responses to your irrational posts, I say some people need to do a little research on the other side of the argument.

Before you say anything, remember that I said this. I know you or no one else that is ignorant of the coal industry now, will ever do a favor for themselves and take time to learn about it. I don't even know why I waste my time with posts like this. It's doing neither of us any good.

For some reason, I smell a response from DW. :biggrin:

Hey DW, I don't know about you but I'm so excited that the economy is back where it needs to be. I just knew that Obama could turn it around. If it were up to people like me, Obama wouldn't even be in office and we wouldn't have our economy in such good shape again. (Don't get all riled up, it's all in good fun)