Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Best Rivalries in EKY?
i now same way with jc and pvillee but its still a good rivalry
They no longer exist but Whitesburg and Fleming-Neon was a huge rivalry with over 5000 in attendance. It was also one of the oldest before consolidation. I think a heated rivalry is starting to develop between Letcher Central and Harlan County. It will be the Battle of Pine Mountain.
How has this thread went 3 pages without a mention of Greenup/Russell or Greenup/Raceland?
Russell and Ashland
Russell and Raceland
Raceland and Ashland
All great local schools with a few miles of each other with great tradition.
blackcat_mvp6 Wrote:Probably because those two schools aren't in Eastern Kentucky

Sorry, I misread. But it's still a good rivalry, though (St. Xavier vs Trinity).
Rock vs. Bell is a good rivalry. Also Rockcastle has had some good rivalries in the past. North vs. South Laurel is a good one. Hazard vs. LCC could build into a good rivalry. Ashland vs. Rockcastle was pretty good before the playoffs changed.
I think Prestonsburg And Shelby Valley are one of the biggest!
Tanner Tackett #35 Wrote:I think Prestonsburg And Shelby Valley are one of the biggest!

I don't think anyone from Prestonsburg views our matchups with Valley as a rivalry. Prestonsburg just always seems to lay an egg versus Valley even though Prestonsburg has a lot more talent.

BTW, in-order for a game to be a rivalry, don't you have to win one? Has Valley ever defeated Prestonsburg?
Corbin vs. South Laurel
Bell vs. Rockcastle
North Laurel vs. South Laurel

Just some of the rivalries I always try to attend..

I've noticed the Knox Central vs. Rockcastle game has gained a lot of heat in the past 3 years as well.
In it's prime, the Paintsville vs. Johnson Central game was always great to watch.
Lawrence County and Sheldon Clark are very big rivals in Eastern Kentucky. It has always been like that. And any LC fan can tell you that its the biggest game of the year!
cj2561 Wrote:Bell vs. Rockcastle
Bell vs Mboro
Ashland vs. Russell
Hazard vs. PCC (When i play at Hazard, we use that week to get realdy for pikeville)
South Laurel vs. North Laurel
Belfry vs. Pikeville
Johnson Central vs. Ashland
Lynn Camp vs Williamsbrug
Russell vs. Raceland
Sheldon Clark vs. Belfry
Hazard vs. Pikeville
Pikeville Vs Paintsville
LCC vs PCC
Breathitt vs Belfry
(I think there will be a good one that will start next season)
LCC vs Harlan Co.

Pikeville and Paintsville don't have a rivalry, IMO. They root for each other when they face other teams. From the looks of some of the posts here, some of you don't understand what a rivalry is. Johnson Central and Paintsville would be a perfect example. Paintsville and Magoffin would be another.
I would think a true rivalry had to involve a disdain for the other team. After re-reading my above post and realizing this is the football thread, I would remove Paintsville and Magoffin, though they have a pretty healthy rivalry in basketball.
southpaw Wrote:The sheldon clark-belfrey hasnt been a rivalry due to the fact that sheldon clarks program didnt start until mid 80s then only 1 winning season witch was under a supper coach of C. Willams even jim matney took yrs there before he understood how to win. But i do look for a little bit of a rival between them now.

SC only had three loosing seasons under Matney. They have also won a 76 percent of the games in the schools history. So i'm not sure what your talking about only 1 winning season.
PCC and Hazard does need to cool off a bit. Remember Wheelright vs. Fleming Neon! Somebody opened up with the street sweeper. One of my old Highschool teachers took some buck shot to the rear in that game. It was forever ago when they did not enforce much at all. Mid to late 60's if i am right. Harlan Co. and LCC is really going to be good after they get a few more season's into it. My personal favorite as of late is P-burg and Sheldon clark! Bell and Rock will live forever as well!!!
Ashland/Russell
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I don't think anyone from Prestonsburg views our matchups with Valley as a rivalry. Prestonsburg just always seems to lay an egg versus Valley even though Prestonsburg has a lot more talent.

BTW, in-order for a game to be a rivalry, don't you have to win one? Has Valley ever defeated Prestonsburg?

wow prestonstonsburg lays an egg but valley hasnt beath them im confused:lmao:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I don't think anyone from Prestonsburg views our matchups with Valley as a rivalry. Prestonsburg just always seems to lay an egg versus Valley even though Prestonsburg has a lot more talent.

Yes a few times Valley has beat Prestonsburg.
millertime_kc Wrote:Corbin vs. South Laurel
Bell vs. Rockcastle

Just some of the rivalries I always try to attend..

I've noticed the Knox Central vs. Rockcastle game has gained a lot of heat in the past 3 years as well.

I think Knox and Rock has started pick up some intrest in each other. which is great for us fans in our district. I also would think Knox and Bell would be rivals, but coach Mills says you must beat some one, for it to be called a rivalry. As we seen in the playoffs Knox is geting close to making the Knox Bell game a Rival game.:Thumbs:
Belfry - Pikeville....has all the ingredients you need for a rivalry. City boys against country boys. A general dislike for each other that doesn't go to the extreme of fighting or being out of control. Both teams are generally above average teams I know over the past couple of years it has been one-sided but the totality of the rivalry has been great.

Bell co-Rock
North Laurel-South Laurel
Belfry-Pburg
Hazard-PCC
Ashland-Russell
Lawrence County vs Tolsia,WV
ashland/russell
ashland/ironton
ashland/boyd county
fairview/raceland
ashland/ johnson central
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:2000 Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 26-0

2001 Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 34-2
Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 28-14

2002 Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 14-7
Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 31-14

2003 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 28-12

2004 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 56-7

2005 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 33-29
Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 21-0

2006 Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 18-14
Rockcastle Co beat Bell Co 13-0

2007 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 24-0
Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 35-0

2008 Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 38-0
Bell Co beat Rockcastle Co 49-7

Rock won 8 times
Bell won 7 times

I am stealing this from another thread, and I appreciate the man for his work.

When a series is 8-7 over the last decade, you have a rivalry. Rockcastle will be looking hard to break Bell County's streak of 4 wins in a row, but Bell is also gonna be looking to tie the series up.

One of the the top 2-3 rivalries in EKY.
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:I think Knox and Rock has started pick up some intrest in each other. which is great for us fans in our district. I also would think Knox and Bell would be rivals, but coach Mills says you must beat some one, for it to be called a rivalry. As we seen in the playoffs Knox is geting close to making the Knox Bell game a Rival game.:Thumbs:

millertime_kc Wrote:Corbin vs. South Laurel
Bell vs. Rockcastle

I do agree that Knox Central vs. Rockcastle is heating up. I seem to recall that Knox beat Rockcastle and then Rock came down to Knox Central for a game and a fight erupted after the Rockcastle win. Am I thinking clearly?
Ashland vs. Russell
Ashland vs. Boyd Co.
Ashland vs. Ironton : if Ashland could win 1 now and then.
Ashland vs. Russell
Ashland vs. Boyd Co.
Ashland vs. Ironton : if Ashland could win 1 now and then.
Ashland vs Ironton All the ironton fans I work with say this a highly anticipated game despite the record. I know Ashland looks forward to this game!
warriors#55 Wrote:i think east ridge and shelby valley have a good rivalry going and jc and belfry have a good one to if it will keep going

East Ridge and Shelby Valley....?
lol Deff not a rilvalrie dont remember the last time this has actually been a game.
But im going to have to to with Shelby Valley and P-Burg. This has been a decent mathup the past few years and i think this year will be a great game and one that everyone need to come watch!
Whenever you have Pburg and Breathitt on the same feild, its going to be a great game. Look at the last two games the teams have played. They have all been great games, last year it was a punt block that lead Pburg to a W, and then this year they shut down Breathitts offense to come back from like 14 points to win. The series has been pretty even also. I think Breathitt hold the longest winning streak at 5. Great games to watch.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]