Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Paintsville
34.67%
Hazard
65.33%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville @ Hazard (Class A 2nd Round)
IRISH4 Wrote:Hazard has underachieved this year after coming off a 13-1 season last year with about the entire team coming back...but you are right, it is the playoffs and anything can happen.

That one game Hazard lose last year, I know they was going to get beat. The way Hazard think. They beat them once, they can do it again. Hazard also have the big head in that game. They have the big head early in the season, and it show in someof the games. But what i saw of them last week. They know what they are working for now. It is the title game.
Hazard 42 - 14
Fridaynightmare Wrote:Hazard by a couple. Paintsville relies all too much on the spread. They better hope that it dont rain. Because with that offense, you either win big or lose big.

What kind of offense does the Bulldogs run?
Tear Drop Wrote:This SC team you speak of isn't very good this year. They lost the bulk of their better players last year. Hazard has better althletes all across the board. Not try to knock Paintsville but Hazard's fourth or fifth best player might be as good as Paintsville's best. I think Hazard will use too much speed on the Tigers while playing a very physical football game. Paintsville's pass defense is awful this year. I don't think they will be able to sceme for Hazard's spread attack so they can defend both the pass and run.
Hazard-45
Paintsville-12

I think, after seeing both teams play several times, that Doderer and Deaton will be the best players on the field.
This game will more than likely go to the bulldogs. I believe they are much better up front than the Tigers and that is what usually decides the outcome, reguardless of all the talk about the talent that both teams have at the skill positions.
brain cramp Wrote:If Nathan and Nehimiah Doderer are the same player, he is pretty good, but he may not be Paintsvilles' best. I think the QB (Deaton ???) looked good on both sides of the ball when I watched them play. But with that said, I only saw 1 game of theirs.

I don't know why I said "Nathan" before. :eek:

Deaton is a fine athlete with really good speed for his size, but sometimes his decision-making leaves something to be desired. He has a bad habit of trying to make something happen when a play is covered and is also notorious for not tucking the football away when he takes off.
Hazard may have team speed but I doubt its more than the Tigers have seen this year. Raceland has a lot of team speed as well as P-burg. Speed does not worry me as much as the interior O/D lines. Deaton has done well for it being his first year at QB in a new system. I am sure Doderer and Deaton would both start for Hazard but Deaton would be at his natural position, WR. Also Deaton does not get enough praise for his play on the defensive side of the ball. He leads the team in sacks and tackles for loss and started the season at FS. This is a game Paintsville can win, but it is going to take 4 great days of practice and 1 great performance Friday night.
Udon'tKnowMe Wrote:Hazard may have team speed but I doubt its more than the Tigers have seen this year. Raceland has a lot of team speed as well as P-burg. Speed does not worry me as much as the interior O/D lines. Deaton has done well for it being his first year at QB in a new system. I am sure Doderer and Deaton would both start for Hazard but Deaton would be at his natural position, WR. Also Deaton does not get enough praise for his play on the defensive side of the ball. He leads the team in sacks and tackles for loss and started the season at FS. This is a game Paintsville can win, but it is going to take 4 great days of practice and 1 great performance Friday night.

Yes, I agree. Not many players with his size have his footspeed - his physical skills come through clearly on the through on the defensive side of the ball.
Fridaynightmare Wrote:Hazard by a couple. Paintsville relies all too much on the spread. They better hope that it dont rain. Because with that offense, you either win big or lose big.

The night Paintsville played Sheldon Clark it rained hard for the majority of the game and Paintsville still had over 300 yards rushing and Deaton threw a TD pass. I don't think the weather will affect Paintsville since the game will be played on turf. Plus, its not like Hazard line up double tight wishbone either. Hazard runs the spread with some pro set I mixed in as well.
Hazard will most definately use there team speed in this game and there size up front against Paintsville. Paintsville will not be able to stop the speedy running back in Adams and will also have a tough time defending the pass as well. Paintsville can should be able to score points on this hazard team but if they dont i will be very surprised. Hazard defense has not been the stongest but has shown up for a few games this season. If the bulldogs dont let more than 2 scores then the defense has improved.
Udon'tKnowMe Wrote:The night Paintsville played Sheldon Clark it rained hard for the majority of the game and Paintsville still had over 300 yards rushing and Deaton threw a TD pass. I don't think the weather will affect Paintsville since the game will be played on turf. Plus, its not like Hazard line up double tight wishbone either. Hazard runs the spread with some pro set I mixed in as well.

Precise young man. But if it rains, Hazard and Paintsville will both be forced to stick to the run. Good luck to both.
SportsKing Wrote:What kind of offense does the Bulldogs run?

The Bulldogs run the spread but try to stick to the run as much as possible from what I have seen.
I'll take Hazard by 3 TD's
oneijoe Wrote:I don't know why I said "Nathan" before. :eek:

Deaton is a fine athlete with really good speed for his size, but sometimes his decision-making leaves something to be desired. He has a bad habit of trying to make something happen when a play is covered and is also notorious for not tucking the football away when he takes off.

I'll take you re word for it. Like I said, I only saw them play once this year. I really just wanted to say that even though Hazard does have some real nice players that Paintsville has some nice players too. I still think Hazard will win though. I did not know if they had 2 Doderer or not. Thanks for clearing that up.
bac2369 Wrote:Hazard will most definately use there team speed in this game and there size up front against Paintsville. Paintsville will not be able to stop the speedy running back in Adams and will also have a tough time defending the pass as well. Paintsville can should be able to score points on this hazard team but if they dont i will be very surprised. Hazard defense has not been the stongest but has shown up for a few games this season. If the bulldogs dont let more than 2 scores then the defense has improved.

This is just my opinion, Coach Dixon will open it up a little more this weekend, but he will still only use what he has to. He will Blitz a little more and show some different coverages. He will use a standard cover 1 and roll to some cover 3, but nothing like he will do in the next rounds to come. He will not reveal more than he has too and this goes for offense as well. I dont think they ran more than 9 plays last week. I really dont think he has ran everything all year with these next 3 weeks in mind. I noticed in one post that Hazard has underachieved. This may be true, but they played a little tougher schedule this year. Again, I am no coach and simply have this opinion. I look for Hazard to be a different team each and every week until they get past Pikeville and then we will see if they under achieved. I know they had plans of getting to Louisville. I almost said carpet, but several teams have carpet now.
brain cramp Wrote:This is just my opinion, Coach Dixon will open it up a little more this weekend, but he will still only use what he has to. He will Blitz a little more and show some different coverages. He will use a standard cover 1 and roll to some cover 3, but nothing like he will do in the next rounds to come. He will not reveal more than he has too and this goes for offense as well. I dont think they ran more than 9 plays last week. I really dont think he has ran everything all year with these next 3 weeks in mind. I noticed in one post that Hazard has underachieved. This may be true, but they played a little tougher schedule this year. Again, I am no coach and simply have this opinion. I look for Hazard to be a different team each and every week until they get past Pikeville and then we will see if they under achieved. I know they had plans of getting to Louisville. I almost said carpet, but several teams have carpet now.

I agree. There are 3 teams that want it just as bad as Hazard does on the opposite end of the bracket. The Favorite is Raceland but would have to play away twice if the # 1 seeds win. I know if Raceland has to drive to Williamsburg its going to be a long bus ride and will most definately make the team tired. I am not saying that Williamsburg is going to beat LCA but they have a pretty good chance too.
JMO, but I hope Hazard does try to open it up some! Paintsville's pass defense has really improved since the Pburg game and they ended up in the top 10 in pass defense in the State. Paintsville can handle the speed, it is big o-lines and big backs that give them trouble. I know one kid Paintsville has that has enjoyed big games against Hazard.
I think Paintsville can beat Hazard..I know a few of the guys on the team and when they set their mind to it and put some heart in it,,,they will come out on top of this one....Good Luck Tigers
The Guru Wrote:JMO, but I hope Hazard does try to open it up some! Paintsville's pass defense has really improved since the Pburg game and they ended up in the top 10 in pass defense in the State. Paintsville can handle the speed, it is big o-lines and big backs that give them trouble. I know one kid Paintsville has that has enjoyed big games against Hazard.

I think this is credited to the teams that they have played in East Ky. P-Burg is the only team that really passed the ball against Paintsville, well maybe Raceland to some extent. The other teams they have played are mainly run oriented teams (JC, SC, Pikeville, and the rest just do what they can.) I think Paintsville has some players that could defend the pass if they are put in the right coverage in the right situations in the game, that falls on the coaches to put them in good situations. I think this game will heavily rely on the pass rush from Paintsville's d-line. If Paintsville get's a rush on Hazard's QB it will cause trouble for Hazard, but if their QB has time to sit in the pocket he could pick Paintsville apart. I think this will be a good matchup.
Eagle_Fan442 Wrote:I think Paintsville can beat Hazard..I know a few of the guys on the team and when they set their mind to it and put some heart in it,,,they will come out on top of this one....Good Luck Tigers

I also think Paintsville can beat hazard but there is some circumstances. Hazard has to come out really flat and Paintsville has to have no errors in this game to beat Hazard. Hazard has done real well all season on my putting points on the board after turnovers. If paintsville can establish a good running game and mix the calls up and keep hazard on there toes then this could very well be a good game. In my opinion i just dont think Paintsville can pull it off on the road at hazard because hazard plays excellent at home and too me seem finally determined to get where they want and should be.
GO TIGERS!!

WE BELIEVE
Hazard by 2 touchdowns. But it will be close until the 4th.
EastKyMiner Wrote:I think this is credited to the teams that they have played in East Ky. P-Burg is the only team that really passed the ball against Paintsville, well maybe Raceland to some extent. The other teams they have played are mainly run oriented teams (JC, SC, Pikeville, and the rest just do what they can.) I think Paintsville has some players that could defend the pass if they are put in the right coverage in the right situations in the game, that falls on the coaches to put them in good situations. I think this game will heavily rely on the pass rush from Paintsville's d-line. If Paintsville get's a rush on Hazard's QB it will cause trouble for Hazard, but if their QB has time to sit in the pocket he could pick Paintsville apart. I think this will be a good matchup.

Actually, Paintsville would be better served with a controlled pass rush that contains Olinger inside a pocket. The Hazard QB is extremely dangerous when he's rolling out or scrambling as he runs and throws on the run extremely well.
oneijoe Wrote:Actually, Paintsville would be better served with a controlled pass rush that contains Olinger inside a pocket. The Hazard QB is extremely dangerous when he's rolling out or scrambling as he runs and throws on the run extremely well.
Well a controlled pass rush is a weak pass rush. I don't know if PHS has the ability to rush 4 or 5 and still try to get pressure on the Hazard QB. I think it would best serve PHS to come a different angles with blitzes so the QB isn't getting comfortable standing in the pocket. You must realize that for a DB it's hard to defend someone for 4 to 6 seconds. Also, when you have a controlled pass rush you are going to get beat with the draw out of shotgun and the lead under center. It's basically a game of give and take, but I think it would best serve PHS to be aggressive and heck if it doesn't work then play conservative. I do agree with what you are saying on the controlled pass rush, but I just don't know if PHS can do it and be effective. I think a controlled pass rush is a great thing when you have four guys inside who can disrupt and get a push.
yea i think hazard will come out on top by about 3 td's
GOOOOOO BULLDOGS!!!!!!

JUST WIN!!!!!!!!!!!
It seems like everything has died down today. You would think sinces the games are getting closer there would be fuel added to the fire. I wish it would hurry up and get friday.
EastKyMiner Wrote:I think this is credited to the teams that they have played in East Ky. P-Burg is the only team that really passed the ball against Paintsville, well maybe Raceland to some extent. The other teams they have played are mainly run oriented teams (JC, SC, Pikeville, and the rest just do what they can.) I think Paintsville has some players that could defend the pass if they are put in the right coverage in the right situations in the game, that falls on the coaches to put them in good situations. I think this game will heavily rely on the pass rush from Paintsville's d-line. If Paintsville get's a rush on Hazard's QB it will cause trouble for Hazard, but if their QB has time to sit in the pocket he could pick Paintsville apart. I think this will be a good matchup.

You could be right. 5 teams Paintsville played threw a total of 15 attempts against Paintsville. The other six eams averaged over 17 attempts per game against the Tigers. Hazard averages around 18 pass attempts per game so I doubt if Paintsville will be in awe of their arial attack. on average Paintsville defends around 11-12 pass attempts per game. Paintsville has given up 5 TDs through the air this year and only 2 in the last 10 games. It actually could be a good match-up between these two teams and I for one am very glad Hazard isn't giving Paintsville much of a shot. I think it is just their fans though cause their coach sure didn't want paintsville to see very much of Hazard as he sent very poor quality VHS tapes that shake all over the screen when you try to watch them, LOL! I know the KHSAA had said that when exchanging game film make sure it is formatted on DVDs. I guess Hazard can't afford new video equipment.Rolleyes
The Guru Wrote:You could be right. 5 teams Paintsville played threw a total of 15 attempts against Paintsville. The other six eams averaged over 17 attempts per game against the Tigers. Hazard averages around 18 pass attempts per game so I doubt if Paintsville will be in awe of their arial attack. on average Paintsville defends around 11-12 pass attempts per game. Paintsville has given up 5 TDs through the air this year and only 2 in the last 10 games. It actually could be a good match-up between these two teams and I for one am very glad Hazard isn't giving Paintsville much of a shot. I think it is just their fans though cause their coach sure didn't want paintsville to see very much of Hazard as he sent very poor quality VHS tapes that shake all over the screen when you try to watch them, LOL! I know the KHSAA had said that when exchanging game film make sure it is formatted on DVDs. I guess Hazard can't afford new video equipment.Rolleyes
But they can afford a brand new turf fieldSmile . I think this will be a good game if Paintsville takes it to Hazard, but if they go out on the field expecting for something bad to happen or play timid then I think Hazard will win big. I think if PHS gets a good performance from the seniors this might be a good game. Also, I think coaching will have a huge factor in the game. Hazard's coach has been in bigger games and seen the big stage before, so I think he won't be pressing the panic button friday night. Paintsville has a first year coach and this is by far the biggest game of his young career, it will be interesting to see how he handles himself and his decision making.
Coach Kinner has played in bigger games (in high school & while @ Georgetown). He understands the position he is in. He is not a "panic button" kind of guy. The boys are not "panic button" guys either & everyone has placed them in the "underdog position", they will be able to play without the pressures that being the "favorite" brings to the game. I look forward to the trip, the game, and being in this position @ this time of year! Good Luck to all! And yes, Hazard has a very nice facility... I am soo happy for them, they are very nice people.... nice community!