Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 scheduling problems for Belfry
EKY Sportster Wrote:I will agree with you that the PCB could be bringing in better quality. It has slipped some from what it used to be.

Holy Crap! I just realized how horrible my spelling was... can anyone say "hangover"?
Bell is having the same problems. Coach Hilton spoke to Coach Haywood but the dates for 09-10 would not match up.

Hope Belfry gets it filled. It seems as if Bell may have to find some Tn. teams to play.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Another thing that needs to be addressed is the subsequent decline in the quality of opponents in the Pike County Bowl, as well as the whole alternating schedule that the PCB uses. Had Belfry played Highlands, Male, Danville, Henry Clay, NewCath, etc like they usually have in the PCB this would all be overlooked. The fact is the PCB has brought in lackluster competition the past two years, and the enxt two teams are no better in Boyd County and Cov. Holy Cross.

Agreed. The outside competition for Belfry in the PCB just ain't what it used to be. Corbin last year = good. Louisville Holy Cross this year = not so good.

Belfry is a 3A powerhouse, they shouldn't be playing some slightly above-average 1A team. The people behind the PCB need to pony up the cash and bring in the big boys.

They also need to get away from the two-year, alternating contracts. They need to realize that what is a good matchup for Belfry may not be the same with Pikeville. With the two-year contracts, if you bring in someone on Pikeville's level for them the first year, then you get a mismatch with Belfry the next year. It just doesn't work.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pirate4Life Wrote:I don't understand why these teams won't play Belfry. We bring a huge crowd and that means alot of money. The P-burg / Belfry game was always great. I think we would have a tough time with Bell Co and that would be good for both teams. IMHO Belfry's weak schedule (although its not Belfry's fault) is part of the reason we lost last years championship game. LC has an advance they have lots of quality competition to play near them we must travel 3-4 hours to find someone who is willing to play us. Belfry has a alot of good teams around them (Russell, P-Burg, Bell Co. Rockcastle Co.) we need to schedule those teams if possible.

JCHS is also on the schedule, just to late in the season. How long does this, I guess contract last.
NEXT Wrote:None of those teams solve the problem of playing better teams( [/size][/font]Graham, Richlands[SIZE=3] Clintwood, JI Burton & Powell Valley might)
[/SIZE]

I want to add another Virginia team to the discussion. As some know, I posted about a Virginia program that has adopted me while living in Virginia. I watched Belfry last year in Louisville KY on Friday and Buffalo Gap High School in Salem VA the next day (early game). They won their first State Championship last year under a relatively young coach (Maxwell). They are currently undefeated and building on that 15-0 record from 2007. This Bison team is very similar to the running attack that is displayed by the Pirates week in and week out. Clintwood could not stop them last year in the state championship game. I would love to see them match up, but maybe I am just wishing for a Pirate game near by. :redboxer:
Welcome to the best site in town! If you need anything, just let me know.
More Cowbell Wrote:Agreed. The outside competition for Belfry in the PCB just ain't what it used to be. Corbin last year = good. Louisville Holy Cross this year = not so good.

Belfry is a 3A powerhouse, they shouldn't be playing some slightly above-average 1A team. The people behind the PCB need to pony up the cash and bring in the big boys.

They also need to get away from the two-year, alternating contracts. They need to realize that what is a good matchup for Belfry may not be the same with Pikeville. With the two-year contracts, if you bring in someone on Pikeville's level for them the first year, then you get a mismatch with Belfry the next year. It just doesn't work.

Unfortunately the match ups are made with Pikeville more in mind than Belfry.

I'm REALLY hoping those working on the new bowl proposal get Belfry to buy into and they leave the Pike County Bowl.
NEXT Wrote:Unfortunately the match ups are made with Pikeville more in mind than Belfry.

I'm REALLY hoping those working on the new bowl proposal get Belfry to buy into and they leave the Pike County Bowl.

I have to agree with ya on this one!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Problem is with not doing a two year contract for the Pike County Bowl is that due to the difficulty of scheduling now teams must have a two year deal or they wont play in it. Which is understandable from other teams point of view.
But I do agree the PCB competition isn't very strong at all and the next two years aren't very good neither.
i dont like hearing about the gas,2weeks ago bell came to bristol tn and mercer county came to greenville tn,sheldon clark is going to bell,this past weekend unuka tn went to matewan,i was trying to get belfry to play dobbens bennitt but havent heard anything on that...
Jusy curious how many 4A or 5A teams does Belfry play?
kybaseball Wrote:Jusy curious how many 4A or 5A teams does Belfry play?

Holy Cross 1A
Lawrence County 4A
East Ridge 3A
Shelby Valley 2A
Pikeville 1A
Magoffin Co. 3A
Pike Central 3A
Sheldon Clark 3A
East Carter 3A
Johnson Central 5A
They should switch schedules with Leslie. Their schedule includes:

4A McCreary Central
4A Bell Co. (No. 1 in 4A)
5A North Laurel
5A Perry Central
5A Letcher Central
5A Clay Co.

Not to mention Corbin and Middlesboro in District. They play everyone in Letcher's district except Whitley. Next year they play Harlan Co., HAzard, Breathitt and someone in the pride of the mountains Bowl, Heard Belfry's name mentioned among others.
Glad to see Belfry is playing us next year. Were is the game going to be played? LCC or Belfry?
That is what happens when you are at the pinnacle. Breathitt went through the same thing in the late 90's.
Powell Valley VA couldn't touch Belfry
Does Harlan have a Bowl?
Since they have 1 big & 1 little school, maybe Pike could work with them.
Find a couple of small teams willing to open on the road both years.
Send 1 to Harlan & the other to Pike in '09, then switch them for 2010.
Then find a couple of 4A teams to play HC & Belfry and do the same thing.