Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2009 scheduling problems for Belfry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Im a long time Pirate fan and I have heard rumors that we are having major problems getting teams to play us in 2009. I think our district will be downsized next year leaving us a couple of games short and with the loss of the Lawerence Co. game we will need to pick up at least 3 teams next year. If anyone has any info or opinions on this subject please respond.
I think SV, East Carter, Magoffin, and LC are gone

Letcher Central

Madison-Scott ,WV.

Logan, WV.

I'm hearing those 3 a lot, but nothing definite.

IMHO, Madison-Scott is on par with what we are getting rid of in SV and East Carter but they beat Logan the other night so who knows.

If we get a WV. team I would like for it to be Parkersburg, South Charleston, Cabell Midland, or someone that size.
NEXT Wrote:I think SV, East Carter, Magoffin, and LC are gone

Letcher Central

Madison-Scott ,WV.

Logan, WV.

I'm hearing those 3 a lot, but nothing definite.

IMHO, Madison-Scott is on par with what we are getting rid of in SV and East Carter but they beat Logan the other night so who knows.

If we get a WV. team I would like for it to be Parkersburg, South Charleston, Cabell Midland, or someone that size.

IMHO I would try to schedule a tougher opponent to make them a better team come play offs.
Logan desperately needs AAA games, but Belfry is only AA for WV. But it should happen if Logan can find some AAA's.

How 'bout Matewan? From what I gather, they may be in just as bad of shape.

VA starts a new 2-year cycle next year.
Might wanna check with Graham, Richlands, Grundy, Honaker, Haysi, Clintwood, JI Burton & Powell Valley to see if any of them are interested.

Some schools were caught short when Pocahontas closed over the Summer.
I don't know if they did 1 or 2 year deals, but try Van, Gilbert & Hazard.

[SIZE=1]Iaeger & Big Creek might be short, since no one is 100% sure when their consolidation will actually occur. [/SIZE]
VHSL-helper Wrote:Logan desperately needs AAA games, but Belfry is only AA for WV. But it should happen if Logan can find some AAA's.

How 'bout Matewan? From what I gather, they may be in just as bad of shape.

VA starts a new 2-year cycle next year.
Might wanna check with Graham, Richlands, Grundy, Honaker, Haysi, Clintwood, JI Burton & Powell Valley to see if any of them are interested.

Some schools were caught short when Pocahontas closed over the Summer.
I don't know if they did 1 or 2 year deals, but try Van, Gilbert & Hazard.

Iaeger & Big Creek might be short, since no one is 100% sure when their consolidation will actually occur.

None of those teams solve the problem of playing better teams( Graham, Richlands[SIZE=3] Clintwood, JI Burton & Powell Valley might)

None of the others would come within 4-5 td's of Belfry aside from Hazard.

[/SIZE]
Belfry and Prestonsburg needs to hook up again. They have gone too long without playing each other.
Don't know muck about Green Co. but seem to be a quality opponent.
From what I know for right now, Ashland still has 1 spot open in the schedule to replace Bryan Station next season. Belfry and Ashland is normally a pretty nice game and good competition for both teams.

Ashland's athletic director would pretty much force the game to be at Ashland though, although personally I'd like a home and home to make a visit to the CAM.
If they need some games why dont they get teams from kentucky?
and since they always say belfry has weak teams they play! why dont they get teams like st.x, beechwood,scott co.? teams of that caliber?...
brown_ind1977 Wrote:Don't know muck about Green Co. but seem to be a quality opponent.

True this, Green County is a quality opponent that IMO would be a great matchup for Belfy
da_boss Wrote:If they need some games why dont they get teams from kentucky?
and since they always say belfry has weak teams they play! why dont they get teams like st.x, beechwood,scott co.? teams of that caliber?...

Travel, travel, travel...
gas, gas, gas.....

MONEY... MONEY... MONEY!!!!

That's probably why!
Tomcat68 Wrote:From what I know for right now, Ashland still has 1 spot open in the schedule to replace Bryan Station next season. Belfry and Ashland is normally a pretty nice game and good competition for both teams.

Ashland's athletic director would pretty much force the game to be at Ashland though, although personally I'd like a home and home to make a visit to the CAM.

How could he force it? Couldn't Pike County's AD "force" the same?
I would like to see the Belfry-Prestonsburg rivalry revived.
I think everyone from Belfry & Prestonsburg would love to see the two schedule one another again but Prestonsburg loses 12 or 13 seniors this year and thats 2/4's of the team. So I don't see Pburg scheduling Belfry next season.
phs1986 Wrote:How could he force it? Couldn't Pike County's AD "force" the same?

He could try, but it wouldn't work. Ashland has very little problems finding teams to schedule and due to this are able to easily manipulate and control contracts to get games at home. Ashland very rarely even plays a 5 home and 5 away schedule. We normally are able to get a 6 and occasionally 7 home games per season. They are normally able to offer enough money to a school to get the game to be played at Ashland without ever having to offer a return trip.
Belfry and P-burg, would love to see them play more.
I wish bell co. would schule teams like belfry & p-burg

No one will play them a home and home, some will not even play them period.

P-burg is the one that ended that series, not Belfry.

Ashland will not go on the road.

Bell Co. has been asked and declined.

Other than that who else is worth playing east of Lexington?

The ones you listed are a 4 hour bus ride, on a school day?
I would love to see Belfry and Powell Valley, Va play every year. Powell Valley is a power in the entire state of VA usually year in and year out..
I don't understand why these teams won't play Belfry. We bring a huge crowd and that means alot of money. The P-burg / Belfry game was always great. I think we would have a tough time with Bell Co and that would be good for both teams. IMHO Belfry's weak schedule (although its not Belfry's fault) is part of the reason we lost last years championship game. LC has an advance they have lots of quality competition to play near them we must travel 3-4 hours to find someone who is willing to play us. Belfry has a alot of good teams around them (Russell, P-Burg, Bell Co. Rockcastle Co.) we need to schedule those teams if possible.
I agree with with the tough schedule.. If you have issues about a bus ride play on Saturday,, Ashland does it too. Just saying, if it is travel time then pick up a game and play on Saturday........
I still don't understand the $$$ / Gas cost connection.

Belfry's football program makes more money than most. I say they need to bite the bullet and travel, even if there isn't a return promise for a home and home. It sucks, but we NEED NEED NEED the competition if we are going to keep winning championships.
I have heard from a Belfry Assistant Coach that we may be playing Tates Creek next year.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I think everyone from Belfry & Prestonsburg would love to see the two schedule one another again but Prestonsburg loses 12 or 13 seniors this year and thats 2/4's of the team. So I don't see Pburg scheduling Belfry next season.
2/4's simplifies into 1/2 of the team .Wink . But seriously that has to be hard to make up half the team in underclassmen next year, that'll be a big loss in experience also. But it's P-burg you never know, they do have some good incoming freshman.
Tomcat68 Wrote:From what I know for right now, Ashland still has 1 spot open in the schedule to replace Bryan Station next season. Belfry and Ashland is normally a pretty nice game and good competition for both teams.

Sounds the the same as the games with Raceland. If you want to play good teams, it needs to be home and away. It's not Burger King you can't always have it your way.
I Believe That Hazard Would Play, Since They Already Scrimmage You All, I Dont See That Happening In The Near Future.
Jshort5 Wrote:2/4's simplifies into 1/2 of the team .Wink . But seriously that has to be hard to make up half the team in underclassmen next year, that'll be a big loss in experience also. But it's P-burg you never know, they do have some good incoming freshman.

That explains why I suck at math.Smile

But yeah, we have a good crop of freshman coming in but the question is, will they stick with it?
yes...p-burg would be a good match-up
NEXT Wrote:No one will play them a home and home, some will not even play them period.

P-burg is the one that ended that series, not Belfry.

Ashland will not go on the road.

Bell Co. has been asked and declined.

Other than that who else is worth playing east of Lexington?

The ones you listed are a 4 hour bus ride, on a school day?

Thats the same problem JCHS had...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do

I'm not sure who you are talking to but I have never heard anyone accusing Coach Haywood of havind a weak schedule.
Letcher County Central is a definite for next season.
Pages: 1 2 3