Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2009 scheduling problems for Belfry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is the LCC game at Belfry or LCC next year?
I would like to see Belfry\Pburg again....

Some teams I'd like to see us play...

Bell Co.
Russell
Ashland
Corbin
Tates Creek
Lafayette
Montgomery County
Danville
Boyle Co.

WVA

Matewan
Logan
I think Russell has a open spot for next year i'm sure they would play Belfry. If it is good teams you want to play here is a list of teams. If they have a spot open they could probably work Belfry in.Some of these teams are begging for somebody good to play.

Russell
Mason
Ironton
Wheelersburg
West Portsmouth
Ashland
Logan Ohio that would have to be a Saturday game.
Hazzard
Belfry used to play Ironton, but they dropped it because they didn't want to travel that far.

Ashland can suck an egg. We went there one year and they never came to Belfry. That's just my opinion though.

Russell and Mason would be interesting choices, as would Scott WV.
well i dont think coach haywood wants to play someone in the regular season that he will probally see in the playoffs,like russell
cuppett777 Wrote:well i dont think coach haywood wants to play someone in the regular season that he will probally see in the playoffs,like russell

Why is that? Belfry will more than likely meet a team in the playoffs they played in the regular season anyways. May as well be a team like Russell.
Sarrr Wrote:Belfry used to play Ironton, but they dropped it because they didn't want to travel that far.
Ashland can suck an egg. We went there one year and they never came to Belfry. That's just my opinion though.

Russell and Mason would be interesting choices, as would Scott WV.
It's just an hour and a half to a two hour drive, straight up Rt. #52. You never even have to change roads.

From Belfry it's no farther than going to Ashland or any of the other schools in the tri state area. If this is the case, then I can see why they have trouble scheduling anybody. Sounds as if they dont want to leave Pike Co. Smile
Mr.Kimball Wrote:It's just an hour and a half to a two hour drive, straight up Rt. #52. You never even have to change roads.

From Belfry it's no farther than going to Ashland or any of the other schools in the tri state area. If this is the case, then I can see why they have trouble scheduling anybody. Sounds as if they dont want to leave Pike Co. Smile

They aren't afraid to travel. They travel all the way to Louisville most years lately for the championship...BUT, travel was NOT the reason they quit playing Ironton, lol...
jetpilot Wrote:They aren't afraid to travel. They travel all the way to Louisville most years lately for the championship...BUT, travel was NOT the reason they quit playing Ironton, lol...
I didn't say they were, Sarrr is the one whom said that they did not want to travel that far. Maybe you should debate that with him and not me. After all he's the Belfry supporter.
Your words: "Sounds as if they don't want to leave Pike Co."
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I didn't say they were, Sarrr is the one whom said that they did not want to travel that far. Maybe you should debate that with him and not me. After all he's the Belfry supporter.

Sorry Sarr and Jetpilot, Belfry did not quit playing Ironton because it was too far or because they only won once. Ohio's scheuling changed and a place in the schedule could not be worked out. Haywood loved that type of game because he knew it would expose weak areas in his team before the playoffs. Word has it that the four new games will be Letcher Cental and Loganl, Wva, then talks with Bryan Station and Madion-Scott from Wva. are in the works. This would be an upgrade in the schedule because LCC is solid and Station has improved immensely and will be 6A next year, and Madison-Scott is a solid Wva playoff team who is AAA. Logan is average, but better than SV, East Carter, or Magoffing Co, and probably as good as Lawrence Co. Add the Pike CountyBowl, Pikeville, and Johnson Central and you have a real solid schedule.
jetpilot Wrote:Your words: "Sounds as if they don't want to leave Pike Co."

Is that not exactly the way Sarrr made it sound? Who else are you gonna play, that they are not already playing, that will give you any competition if you dont travel as least that far. Try comprehending what you read.

Again , probably something you need to debate with him.
bucslover68 Wrote:Sorry Sarr and Jetpilot, Belfry did not quit playing Ironton because it was too far or because they only won once. Ohio's scheuling changed and a place in the schedule could not be worked out. Haywood loved that type of game because he knew it would expose weak areas in his team before the playoffs. Word has it that the four new games will be Letcher Cental and Loganl, Wva, then talks with Bryan Station and Madion-Scott from Wva. are in the works. This would be an upgrade in the schedule because LCC is solid and Station has improved immensely and will be 6A next year, and Madison-Scott is a solid Wva playoff team who is AAA. Logan is average, but better than SV, East Carter, or Magoffing Co, and probably as good as Lawrence Co. Add the Pike CountyBowl, Pikeville, and Johnson Central and you have a real solid schedule.
Maybe at one time.

I agree with LCC and Bryan Station , but Logan has not been very good for a long time.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Is that not exactly the way Sarrr made it sound? Who else are you gonna play, that they are not already playing, that will give you any competition if you dont travel as least that far. Try comprehending what you read.

No. Not wanting to leave Pike Co. were your words, not his.
jetpilot Wrote:No. Not wanting to leave Pike Co. were your words, not his.

Rolleyes
Back on topic please or we are gonna have to close it!!!! Let's not debate over who said what... I'm sure pretty much all of us can read!!!
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Is that not exactly the way Sarrr made it sound? Who else are you gonna play, that they are not already playing, that will give you any competition if you dont travel as least that far. Try comprehending what you read.

It was scheduling, not travel and when he said they, he meant Ironton.

I think they should drop Pikeville, but they won't
Ironton joined a "league", it worked out best for Ironton $ wise and in terms of playoff points.

Haywood will never play mcGlone in the regular season, in fact, you will never see Belfry schedule anyone else in their class that they have aleigitmate shot of seeing again down the road in an important game (East Carter does not count because they simply will never be able to matchup with Belfry)

Bell and Pburg have been appraoched and decided not to play. Pburg is still sour about some KHSAA issues back in district play. Bell.... well... noone knows exactly why they have not agreed to play Belfry.

Ashland may be a viable option, but the issue with the Tomcats is that they refuse to play home and home.

Wayne, WV will not play Belfry because what they gain from a win is not nearly as benficial as what they would lose with a loss due to WV's playoff system. This is also why you see such hesitancy from 3A WV schools.

If Belfry did play Hazard, they still would not receive credit as everyone would say "Belfry is just beating up on a 1A school", but if they lost it would be viewed as the downfall of the Pirate program.

Belfry is at a disadvantage because the brunt of the strongest Mountain/EKY schools are either 1A or 3A, 2A only has a couple teams who would truly be a challenge for Belfry.

Picking up LCC was a great move, they are not very far away and building a solid program.

Other teams who may end up being worth pursuing:

- Harlan County: 5A school that will be rapidly improving with larkey as head coach, not an extremely long trip, but a long trip nonetheless

- Corbin; Long trip, but the Hounds will be close to Belfry's level year-in, year-out.

- Perry Central: Not the best competition, but a 5A school that is relatively close.

- South Laurel, Knox Central, Pulaski County: All are schools who have put a quality product on the field that are equally as far away.

-Tates Creek, Lafayette, Henry Clay, Clark County, Madison Central: 3 hour trip on a bus, but playign 6A competition will definately help Belfry.
NEXT Wrote:It was scheduling, not travel and when he said they, he meant Ironton.
I think they should drop Pikeville, but they won't
:Thumbs:
Well there have been a lot of good suggestions, but most likely Belfry is going to have to take to the road to get good solid competition. Due to location, not many big schools are willing to do a home and home because just to be blunt they dont have to. Belfry on the other hand does not have the location to easily find teams of their calibre to schedule. Why would any big school from the Tri-State area of Ashland/Huntington/Ironton or from Lexington want to travel to Belfry when there are plenty of local teams to schedule? That is the problem Belfry faces. So to get good competition, the Pirates may just have to play some away/away contract games with some of these larger schools. It will only make them better anyway!
Beechwood may be interested. They are solid competition, and I believe that they'll be looking for someone to replace Prestonsburg with on their schedule for '09.
EKY Sportster Wrote:Well there have been a lot of good suggestions, but most likely Belfry is going to have to take to the road to get good solid competition. Due to location, not many big schools are willing to do a home and home because just to be blunt they dont have to. Belfry on the other hand does not have the location to easily find teams of their calibre to schedule. Why would any big school from the Tri-State area of Ashland/Huntington/Ironton or from Lexington want to travel to Belfry when there are plenty of local teams to schedule? That is the problem Belfry faces. So to get good competition, the Pirates may just have to play some away/away contract games with some of these larger schools. It will only make them better anyway!

KHSAA "sanctions" everything else, why not this?? WHY should Belfry be the one to travel EVERY game..... that hardly seems fair to the program, coaches, kids, parents, fans, and school officials. IMO if a team schedules with Belfry or WHOEVER, they should have to play a home/home game......
If Bell Co. will travel to play Sheldon Clark, then why not Belfry?
bluegrassLady Wrote:Letcher County Central is a definite for next season.

This is a great pick up and needed. I like what I see going on at LCC!:rockon:
phs1986 Wrote:KHSAA "sanctions" everything else, why noing?? WHY should Belfry be the one to travel EVERY game..... that hardly seems fair to the program, coaches, kids, parents, fans, and school officials. IMO if a team schedules with Belfry or WHOEVER, they should have to play a home/home game......

I don't disagree with you, but it is just the reality of it. Belfry is in an isolated area as far as good football teams go, and the teams that are in the larger areas don't have to even play Belfry because they already have good competition. So if Belfry wants to play in those areas they can be made to travel or the other schools just won't schedule them at all. Not fair but just the way it is. However, you can sometimes get teams to make trips, such as Beechwood coming to P-burg and such. The Pirates just have a harder time shopping around than the big programs in the metro areas.
EKY Sportster Wrote:I don't disagree with you, but it is just the reality of it. Belfry is in an isolated area as far as good football teams go, and the teams that are in the larger areas don't have to even play Belfry because they already have good competition. So if Belfry wants to play in those areas they can be made to travel or the other schools just won't schedule them at all. Not fair but just the way it is. However, you can sometimes get teams to make trips, such as Beechwood coming to P-burg and such. The Pirates just have a harder time shopping around than the big programs in the metro areas.

I do see what your saying and completely understand BUT... if they (any team) agree to play Belfry and have Belfry come to them first... I feel that they in turn should come to Belfry the following year. Have a 2 to 4 year contract between schools or something to that effect with the wording stating exactly as above....
Belfry should play hazard in the regular season if I am not mistaken hazard had a hard time this year making a schedule.So i am very sure hazard could be open unless some things change.
That is like Hazard and LCA. LCA come to hazard last year, this year Hazard is going there. I think they got 2 more year of this.It is either 4 or 6 games like that.
another thi ng that needs ot be addressed is the subsequent decline in the waulity of opponents in the Pike County Bowl, as well as the whole alterntaing schedule that the PCB uses. Had Belfry played Highlands, Male, Danville, Henry Clay, NewCath, etc like they usually have in the PCB this would all be overlooked. The fact is the PCB has brought in lackluster competition the past two years, and the enxt two teams are no better in Boyd County and Cov. Holy Cross.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:another thi ng that needs ot be addressed is the subsequent decline in the waulity of opponents in the Pike County Bowl, as well as the whole alterntaing schedule that the PCB uses. Had Belfry played Highlands, Male, Danville, Henry Clay, NewCath, etc like they usually have in the PCB this would all be overlooked. The fact is the PCB has brought in lackluster competition the past two years, and the enxt two teams are no better in Boyd County and Cov. Holy Cross.

I will agree with you that the PCB could be bringing in better quality. It has slipped some from what it used to be.
Pages: 1 2 3