Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike County Bowl Moved
Does anyone have the attendance records from the bowls? I would bet that the overall attendance for the two nights combined was more last year than five years ago when Pikeville and Belfry played on the same night. More fans = more $$. More money is what the sponsors want to give the schools.
LifeSentence Wrote:Does anyone have the attendance records from the bowls? I would bet that the overall attendance for the two nights combined was more last year than five years ago when Pikeville and Belfry played on the same night. More fans = more $$. More money is what the sponsors want to give the schools.

If they wanted to maximize the ammount of money that all schools could make then they would allow it to be how it used to be, Pikeville and Belfry together, one night. Less cost to run the games and pay the power. All county schools still split the proceeds. But all county schools have the opportunity to host a home game and choose who they play and keep all the proceeds and concessions from that game, all while without having to pay to commute to Belfry/Pikeville on the bus. The old system allowed for the other county schools to do nothing and still make money.

But, sometimes it just aint enough to let someone else rub your back for you I guess.
LifeSentence Wrote:Does anyone have the attendance records from the bowls? I would bet that the overall attendance for the two nights combined was more last year than five years ago when Pikeville and Belfry played on the same night. More fans = more $$. More money is what the sponsors want to give the schools.

Also..you simply can't go by total attendance... the added night of games also requires as I mentioned, additional travel expenses, power use, and added advertising.
I see what you are saying, but I still believe that hosting a game at CAM on Fri or Sat maximizes attendance. People are going to come and watch Belfry play, if there is another game they can watch without additional cost then they will come a little early. CAM will draw fans that wont drive to Pikeville., particularly those from WV. I dont agree with SV hosting a night, but wait and see if the gate receipts are about the same as last year. The bottom line is this IMO. Belfry fans will travel and make the Fri. games a success from a financial standpoint. People will go to Pikeville Sat night, not so much to see Pikeville play but because of the event the bowl has become.
Even though Pikeville is not what it used to be, it is still a very good team in this area. Belfry no doubt the class of most of eastern ky. I agree with most Belfry and Pikeville should continue as host.....
I meant no disrespect to Pikeville. The Sat night game may be the biggest draw this year. Pikeville and Corbin have somewhat of a history and will probably be a good matchup this year (I say Pikeville by 10) The Friday night game will be all Belfry, I doubt many will drive down from Louisville to watch that game and they wouldnt drive if it was at Pikeville either, just not a good matchup. That is where the bowl is slipping, finding quality opponents with a good fan following.
I think the problem with getting good quality opponents is now most days has their own bowl games and it narrows down the opponents to select from.