Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pike County Bowl Moved
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Pike Bowl Committee headed by Pike Co. BOE member Virgil Osborne(from Shelby Valley) has decided that the Friday night game is now going to be played at Shelby Valley.
Why would they do that? I liked it.
Iv been saying this since about April. This is going to make it alot harder to beat Shelby Valley for us next years.
If this true, then it means that Belfry loses its spot as the Friday night host, since they are also scheduled to play their Pike County Bowl game on Friday night.

I may be a Shelby Valley fan, but in my opinion this isn't right. The two traditional football powers in this county are Pikeville and Belfry, and they should be the two schools to host each night of this event. Shelby Valley nor any other county school should be the host over one of these two schools.

Is there any official confirmation of this? I can only assume that the only rational explanation is that Belfry's field is unavailable that weekend, in which case Valley is the next best option. Otherwise, this makes no sense.
More Cowbell Wrote:If this true, then it means that Belfry loses its spot as the Friday night host, since they are also scheduled to play their Pike County Bowl game on Friday night.

I may be a Shelby Valley fan, but in my opinion this isn't right. The two traditional football powers in this county are Pikeville and Belfry, and they should be the two schools to host each night of this event. Shelby Valley nor any other county school should be the host over one of these two schools.

took the words right out of my mouth. good post! :p

ill give you some rep. for that one
More Cowbell Wrote:If this true, then it means that Belfry loses its spot as the Friday night host, since they are also scheduled to play their Pike County Bowl game on Friday night.

Is there any official confirmation of this? I can only assume that the only rational explanation is that Belfry's field is unavailable that weekend, in which case Valley is the next best option. Otherwise, this makes no sense.

Belfry field is available, and this is confirmed or I wouldn't have posted it. This is politics.

It makes sense to no one except the current powers to be, who want anything and everything the old administration built, destroyed.

You are seeing the beginning of the end of the PCB as we know it.
I said it years ago. When the rest of the county schools got involved in the PCB they would do what the Pike County School board always does and that is move in, devour everything in site and then leave the empty shell behind. Kindve like locusts. Pikeville and Belfry are the 2 schools that put not only the PCB but Eastern KY football as a whole on the map. These 2 schools should always host games and its completely IDIOTIC to have it at SV. If this were a B-ball tournament Id be the first to say it belongs up there at Virgie. Theyve earned it on the B-ball court just like Pikeville and Belfry has earned it on the football field. This is starting a trend and yall hide and watch these events take shape. Sometime in the next year or so Pike Central will be looking to get funding to get turf on their field. When and if they get that then Pikeville will lose their home game as well. Id love to see Belfry and Pikeville just pull out of the PCB and start their own bowl game. The games us and Belfry play in are the only games people outside of the county schools care about anyway. When the County schools play its just "Pre-Game entertainment"
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I said it years ago. When the rest of the county schools got involved in the PCB they would do what the Pike County School board always does and that is move in, devour everything in site and then leave the empty shell behind. Kindve like locusts. Pikeville and Belfry are the 2 schools that put not only the PCB but Eastern KY football as a whole on the map. These 2 schools should always host games and its completely IDIOTIC to have it at SV. If this were a B-ball tournament Id be the first to say it belongs up there at Virgie. Theyve earned it on the B-ball court just like Pikeville and Belfry has earned it on the football field. This is starting a trend and yall hide and watch these events take shape. Sometime in the next year or so Pike Central will be looking to get funding to get turf on their field. When and if they get that then Pikeville will lose their home game as well. Id love to see Belfry and Pikeville just pull out of the PCB and start their own bowl game. The games us and Belfry play in are the only games people outside of the county schools care about anyway. When the County schools play its just "Pre-Game entertainment"

Not the whole board, Mr. Welch and Mr. Dotson and some of the older BOE members along with Pikeville helped grow the PCB to what it is. This new BOE and Super. will destroy it and the Pike School System if things don't change in Nov. because they are so power hungry it nuts. I like how they have Belfry playing 2nd at SV and not SV, as they know how attendance would be..........

I hope Pikeville and Belfry pull out after this yea, as its the last year of the contracts.
I personally woulld like to see the old format implemented back in. Thta was and should be what the PCB represents.
It should only be a double header with Pikeville and Belfry playing, and switch between the schools as hosts. Nobody wants to see any of the other county schools play.
jetpilot Wrote:It should only be a double header with Pikeville and Belfry playing, and switch between the schools as hosts. Nobody wants to see any of the other county schools play.
I agree.
I don't see any Belfry people getting upset. It looks like everyone on here so far is from Pikeville. Belfry knows that they are the Elite Program of Eastern Kentucky. They also know that their fans will travel regardless if the game is at Shelby Valley or Mars. Valley does deserve the chance to show their new facility. Rotate the Bowl between every county school that has Turf. Seems fair enough to me.
Super-Card Wrote:I don't see any Belfry people getting upset. It looks like everyone on here so far is from Pikeville. Belfry knows that they are the Elite Program of Eastern Kentucky. They also know that their fans will travel regardless if the game is at Shelby Valley or Mars. Valley does deserve the chance to show their new facility. Rotate the Bowl between every county school that has Turf. Seems fair enough to me.

You won't see anyone from Belfry get on here until late June or early July.
Maybe BBand T would like to start a new Bowl game??
Pikeville and Belfry could grab BB&T or US Bank or even Appalachian Wireless and put the PCB to death Pikeville and Belfry are what bring in quality teams.

Wonder what Community Trust Bank thinks about this.

CTB typically likes to have things done in a first class manner, IMO, The Pike County Bowl just took a step back.
Old Timer Wrote:Maybe BBand T would like to start a new Bowl game??
Pikeville and Belfry could grab BB&T or US Bank or even Appalachian Wireless and put the PCB to death Pikeville and Belfry are what bring in quality teams.

Wonder what Community Trust Bank thinks about this.

CTB typically likes to have things done in a first class manner, IMO, The Pike County Bowl just took a step back.

Unless things change back, which I don't think they will, I have a feeling you will see a new bowl..............
Pikeville and Belfry do indeed need to start their own bowl. You know how long the PCB would last? 2 years. No one will come 3 hours+ to play SV or PC or ER or Phelps. However the Pikeville- Belfry bowl would get even bigger because no one would have to worry about watching some insignificant JV game for 4 hours before the big show. It would be one night of AMAZING FOOTBALL. Heck, we should have done this years ago. O yea we did, then some people got offended because it wasn't a "True" "Pike Co. Bowl". So as they move this game, I hope they have thought long and hard about the consequences.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Pikeville and Belfry do indeed need to start their own bowl. You know how long the PCB would last? 2 years. No one will come 3 hours+ to play SV or PC or ER or Phelps. However the Pikeville- Belfry bowl would get even bigger because no one would have to worry about watching some insignificant JV game for 4 hours before the big show. It would be one night of AMAZING FOOTBALL. Heck, we should have done this years ago. O yea we did, then some people got offended because it wasn't a "True" "Pike Co. Bowl". So as they move this game, I hope they have thought long and hard about the consequences.

Nope.

Its election time, and 3 Pike County BOE seats are up for re-election in Nov., this group will do anything to retain power so they can give this Super. another 4 years.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I said it years ago. When the rest of the county schools got involved in the PCB they would do what the Pike County School board always does and that is move in, devour everything in site and then leave the empty shell behind. Kindve like locusts. Pikeville and Belfry are the 2 schools that put not only the PCB but Eastern KY football as a whole on the map. These 2 schools should always host games and its completely IDIOTIC to have it at SV. If this were a B-ball tournament Id be the first to say it belongs up there at Virgie. Theyve earned it on the B-ball court just like Pikeville and Belfry has earned it on the football field. This is starting a trend and yall hide and watch these events take shape. Sometime in the next year or so Pike Central will be looking to get funding to get turf on their field. When and if they get that then Pikeville will lose their home game as well. Id love to see Belfry and Pikeville just pull out of the PCB and start their own bowl game. The games us and Belfry play in are the only games people outside of the county schools care about anyway. When the County schools play its just "Pre-Game entertainment"

:lmao: HAHA, good one and totally true, good post
I have complete respect for the other games, they arent on the level as the Belfry or Pikeville game, but they will tell you that. This does make me upset that they do this. But it doesn't surprise me and no knock to Valley neither. But its not right. What gets me though is the last three years you figure up the nights and lets see who brought the most gate, the Belfry night.
I think they know Belfry will travel and bring a crowd, so they will give it to Valley in hopes of attracting more Valley fans and keeping the large Belfry crowd. But still dont make it the right thing to do. But that is the way it goes I guess.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This sums up everything I feel about this situation.....
Here is a Belfry fan who will not be attending.

Call it a protest if you want, but I for one plan on showing the BOE how much this disappoints me and urge everyone to do the same.

Besides, I know C.C. will make me a copy of the game for 10 Dollars and I'm sure he would gladly do it for all of you, too.
BoondockSaint Wrote:Here is a Belfry fan who will not be attending.

Call it a protest if you want, but I for one plan on showing the BOE how much this disappoints me and urge everyone to do the same.

Besides, I know C.C. will make me a copy of the game for 10 Dollars and I'm sure he would gladly do it for all of you, too.
I think it would be great if all of Belfry would do this. The game is on TV anyway isn't it? Do that and see how many times they move it away from Pond Creek!
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:When the County schools play its just "Pre-Game entertainment"

Belfry Wins Wrote:I have complete respect for the other games, they arent on the level as the Belfry or Pikeville game, but they will tell you that.

First off, to Hail Pikeville, there's no need to put down the other football teams in the county. Those other games may not be important outside the local area, but they are very important to the teams that play in them. They involve county rivalries between schools that love to beat each other, and have produced some very exciting, competitive games in the past. As a Valley fan, I was one of the first people to admit that moving the game is completely ridiculous, but at least show some respect to the other teams.

As for Belfry Wins, classy post. Like you said, no one from either of the "other four" county schools will pretend like their game is as big a deal as the Pikeville/Belfry matchups, but they still matter to those teams. It's nice to see someone from Belfry not take out their anger over the situation (which is totally justified, in my opinion) on the other schools.

If people want to be upset at someone, get mad at the people on the PCB committee who made such a crazy decision in the first place...
More Cowbell Wrote:First off, to Hail Pikeville, there's no need to put down the other football teams in the county. Those other games may not be important outside the local area, but they are very important to the teams that play in them. They involve county rivalries between schools that love to beat each other, and have produced some very exciting, competitive games in the past. As a Valley fan, I was one of the first people to admit that moving the game is completely ridiculous, but at least show some respect to the other teams.

As for Belfry Wins, classy post. Like you said, no one from either of the "other four" county schools will pretend like their game is as big a deal as the Pikeville/Belfry matchups, but they still matter to those teams. It's nice to see someone from Belfry not take out their anger over the situation (which is totally justified, in my opinion) on the other schools.

If people want to be upset at someone, get mad at the people on the PCB committee who made such a crazy decision in the first place...
Then why not play the other 2 games on Friday night at one of those place's and let Pikeville and Belfry play on Saturday alternating the place each year and the home team play the late game?
More Cowbell Wrote:First off, to Hail Pikeville, there's no need to put down the other football teams in the county. Those other games may not be important outside the local area, but they are very important to the teams that play in them. They involve county rivalries between schools that love to beat each other, and have produced some very exciting, competitive games in the past. As a Valley fan, I was one of the first people to admit that moving the game is completely ridiculous, but at least show some respect to the other teams.

I think this is the best post you've ever made. Ill give that a ****out of ***** haha.
Good idea
Panther Thunder Wrote:Then why not play the other 2 games on Friday night at one of those place's and let Pikeville and Belfry play on Saturday alternating the place each year and the home team play the late game?
Panther Thunder Wrote:Then why not play the other 2 games on Friday night at one of those place's and let Pikeville and Belfry play on Saturday alternating the place each year and the home team play the late game?

If that's what the Pikeville and Belfry people want then I guess that's ok, but I still wouldn't like it. Would you Pikeville fans really give up hosting the PCB every other year? You shouldn't, the bowl belongs there.

To me, the games should be held at the two schools that have the best football tradition, and that is Pikeville and Belfry. If SV, PC, ER, or Phelps ever get their programs on par with those two, then maybe consider letting them host. Otherwise, keep it the way it's been the last few years.

I will admit that the county teams playing each other every year does get a bit old. Maybe they could let the other teams play an outside opponent instead, and rotate which two county teams get to participate in the PCB every other year. I think that would be fair.
The way it was last year was the best it could get with all the teams in the county playing, but if Belfry loses its hosting spot and have to keep trading it out, I would just prefer see those two games on one day at one place. I would like it a lot better if the other 4 schools did something like this (But must play teams from a good distance away)

Pikeville vs. Opponent @ Pikeville
Pike Central vs. Opponent @ Pikeville
Belfry vs. Opponent @ Belfry
East Ridge vs. Opponent @ Belfry

Belfry vs Pikeville's previous Opponent @ Belfry
Phelps vs Opponent @ Belfry
Pikeville vs Belfry's previous Opponent @ Pikeville
Shelby Valley vs. Opponent @ Pikeville

Then switch the schools and the site they play evenly and accordingly. That would be the BEST option IMO. That way you see all the county teams in 2 years with teams from throughout the state. Like the other 4 teams wouldn't have to play Lexcath or anything, but maybe a lower level Louisville or Northern team.
Panther Thunder Wrote:2009
Pikeville vs. Opponent @ Pikeville
Pike Central vs. Opponent @ Pikeville
Belfry vs. Opponent @ Belfry
East Ridge vs. Opponent @ Belfry

Belfry vs Pikeville's previous Opponent @ Belfry
Phelps vs Opponent @ Belfry
Pikeville vs Belfry's previous Opponent @ Pikeville
Shelby Valley vs. Opponent @ Pikeville

That's pretty much what I suggested above, so I agree with some variation of your format. Due to proximity, I do think SV and PC should play at Pikeville, with Phelps and ER playing at Belfry.

I think the other county teams should play an outside opponent who would make for a competitive game. As for it being a low-level Louisville team, wouldn't Holy Cross be considered a "low-level Louisville team"? And I believe they are playing Belfry this year after losing to Pikeville last year. If they are a strong enough team to play in the nightcap matchups, I don't know if they would be the right team to play one of the other county schools. Maybe someone like Paris or West Jessamine...

You and I have disagreed over this before. I know that those games are very important to the county schools. My point is that they dont belong in the PCB. When this bowl was created it was for the 2 best teams in Pike County to play 2 quality teams from out of the region. IMO when the other schools got involved it cheapened the bowl quite a bit. No offense to any of these schools but the PCB is the only place where a team can beat either Phelps,ER,SV,or PC and get a trophy for this "accomplishment".:1:
Pages: 1 2 3