Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Pikeville High School
TRAIN85 Wrote:You talk about keeping stuff under wraps.

Yeah no kidding the next thing we know they will be holding a press conference to announce someone like Haywood as coach that is a complete joke but just saying.
Copley is the right man for the job...he goes wayyyyy above and beyond all coaching expectations...ive spent countless hours around this man in a football and non-football setting he is exactly what you would look for in a head coach. He knows what needs to get done to uphold the tradition at Pikeville....

:coach:Make the right decision!!!
Just curious, but do you think that the people who make the decisions at Pikeville, and for that matter other schools, get on this message board or any other boards? If so, how would you or we know? I am not trying to start anything, but just curious how people get on the message boards and are this coach or that coach.
JUST CURIOUS but what in the world do any of these questions have to do with who is going to coach Pikeville next year?
Ultimately, it doesn't matter who reads or doesn't read this stuff. The powers that be are interested in opinions but will ultimately do what they think is right.... no matter what anyone else thinks! It has been that way for years and I don't see it changing!
Many of you may not know but you have one of the best coaches available right there in your district. William Johnson at the board office was Bill Musicks right hand man for years. He forgot more than most people will ever know. My son played against his JV and freshman teams and I always respected his abilities both on and off the field.
What people need to realize is that there are only 2-3 people that are up for the job. The hot headed DC from Danville, Hensley from Dunbar who couldn't produce a winner there, and Copley the DC from Pikeville who has had one of the best Defenses in the state the past couple of years.
master the universe Wrote:What people need to realize is that there are only 2-3 people that are up for the job. The hot headed DC from Danville, Hensley from Dunbar who couldn't produce a winner there, and Copley the DC from Pikeville who has had one of the best Defenses in the state the past couple of years.

Didn't look too good against Lex Christian!!
sacbunt Wrote:Didn't look too good against Lex Christian!!

or the last three years against Belfry
But it was one of the best in the state! "On certain friday nights" LOL
Betsy Layne, Allen Central, South Floyd, Phelps and Paintsville couldn't do a thing against that defense.

lol...
jetpilot Wrote:Betsy Layne, Allen Central, South Floyd, Phelps and Paintsville couldn't do a thing against that defense.

lol...

hahaha i wonder why??lol
OMG Wrote:hahaha i wonder why??lol

My sarcasm wasn't lost on you was it?
If they hire Copely it would be an absolute joke. Pikeville won 3 straight in the late 80s and was in a couple of finals in the 90s, and you are going to hire a guy that has never been a head coach to a school like Pikeville where the mayor is at every game and has a lot of input on what goes on in the football program. They need to hire someone out of the school that has head coaching experience and isn't a part of the ole regime. Jackson couldn't do anything and if he is endorsing him, i would think about someone else.
jetpilot Wrote:My sarcasm wasn't lost on you was it?

no i definetly got it..haha..lol
I heard they were giving 2 more people an interview and then making a decision.
master the universe Wrote:What people need to realize is that there are only 2-3 people that are up for the job. The hot headed DC from Danville, Hensley from Dunbar who couldn't produce a winner there, and Copley the DC from Pikeville who has had one of the best Defenses in the state the past couple of years.

Best defenses in the state ??????????????
I was doing some research on the candidates and found that David Hensley averages three years at best at each school. This doesn't sound like what Pikeville wants. I keep hearing that they want a long term coach who is going to stick around. If that is the case then why are they even looking at this short term solution.
If he has been coaching as long as he has been teaching (19 years) then follow this pattern:
He was the head coach from 2002-2004 at East Jessamine 3 years
He was at Dunbar from 2005-2007 3 years
He spent time at Madison Central, Harrison Co., Whayne Co., Somerset, Pulaksi Co., and SW Pulaski Co. 13 years
Subtract the 6 years of head coaching experience from his total number of teaching years and you are left with 13. Take the 13 and divide it by the number of schools he was at before becoming a head coach and you get 2 years and 2months. The overall average is well under 3 years.
What kind of message are you sending to these kids at Pikeville if you bring in a guy with a proven track record of not staying around. Think about that Pikeville before you make a decision that could affect our youth in a negative way.
HazzBeen Wrote:I heard they were giving 2 more people an interview and then making a decision.

They are doing second interviews on either Mon or Tues with at least one of the previously interviewed candidates.
Pikeville has hired assts. as head coaches in Baseball- Steve Priode and in Basketball-Bart Williams. I think Copley will get the shot in Football if you look at what has happened in the last few years.
hillbilly Wrote:They are doing second interviews on either Mon or Tues with at least one of the previously interviewed candidates.

They have interviewed a total of 2 people outside the school, and going to interview them again? In a month's time or more? Starting to sound like a cluster-you-know-what.
HazzBeen Wrote:I heard they were giving 2 more people an interview and then making a decision.

Just saw this. Makes more sense than interviewing the other guys again.
hillbilly Wrote:They are doing second interviews on either Mon or Tues with at least one of the previously interviewed candidates.

Sound like some coaches that have been interviewed need to pull their names out of the hat.
sacbunt Wrote:If they hire Copely it would be an absolute joke. Pikeville won 3 straight in the late 80s and was in a couple of finals in the 90s, and you are going to hire a guy that has never been a head coach to a school like Pikeville where the mayor is at every game and has a lot of input on what goes on in the football program. They need to hire someone out of the school that has head coaching experience and isn't a part of the ole regime. Jackson couldn't do anything and if he is endorsing him, i would think about someone else.

For the record it took Coach Howard 16 years to win his first state championship (1972 to 1987). Also, Coach Howard had no head coaching experience and only 2 years as an Assistant Coach before becoming the Head Coach. But as a Head Coach (and with his staff) what he brought was youth (he was about 25 and Allara was 29), enthusiasm and a desirer to worked hard every day so they can compete to win each game, with a goal of a state championship.

Out of the 3 candidates interviewed Cople is the best person for the job.

I do not think it is two more people, but 2nd interviews (follow up). I know that Copley is one of the two for sure.

I understand one is today and the other is Mon or Tues - what ever night that Pikeville Girls do not play in the Region.
vgaacalj Wrote:I do not think it is two more people, but 2nd interviews (follow up). I know that Copley is one of the two for sure.

Hensley is the other.
State Champs Wrote:Sound like some coaches that have been interviewed need to pull their names out of the hat.

Sounds like their little committee is having a hard time choosing between these two high profile candidates. Should have listened to 'ol stripminer when he was trying to tell everyone the best man for the job was John Chapman. I know for a fact that he wanted the job and with an interview he would have blown away the committee and the competition.
Wymtv just reported the job had been offered to Hensley.
State Champs Wrote:Wymtv just reported the job had been offered to Hensley.

Hensley? I really thought copley was going to get this job...will copley stay on now?