Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville @ Shelby Valley - Jan. 18
uk96 Wrote:If Sv wins by 30 or so will the fans over there give them a hard time for beating Pikeville so bad like they did when JBS won by 46. I am just curious at how intense this rivalry is? Does these two schools dislike each other?
Yea, but it is a very mutual respect.
uk96 Wrote:If Sv wins by 30 or so will the fans over there give them a hard time for beating Pikeville so bad like they did when JBS won by 46. I am just curious at how intense this rivalry is? Does these two schools dislike each other?
I really dont think they dislike each other. It is just a big rivalry. I think the players and coaches get along and like and respect each other. But it is a district thing.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I really dont think they dislike each other. It is just a big rivalry. I think the players and coaches get along and like and respect each other. But it is a district thing.

Players like each other? Not quite. Maybe in the past, not this year.
Hopefully it will be a great game.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Players like each other? Not quite. Maybe in the past, not this year.
I am not saying all players like each other. I know that every time some from Pikeville see some from Valley, they always talk to each other and stuff. Dev sat with Ashley at a Miners game. To say they dont like each other is going a little far. I do know that Pikeville respects Valley on the court, and I am pretty sure that Valley respects Pikeville in the same way.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Besides, this game really isnt that important to Pikeville.

You sure are posting alot about a game the "really isn't that important"... Rolleyes

This game is very important to Pikeville to prove to themselves that they are capable of playing with Valley. The game is very important to Valley to prove that they are still superior to Pikeville. From a mindset standpoint I see this game as being very important to both teams.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I am not saying all players like each other. I know that every time some from Pikeville see some from Valley, they always talk to each other and stuff. Dev sat with Ashley at a Miners game. To say they dont like each other is going a little far. I do know that Pikeville respects Valley on the court, and I am pretty sure that Valley respects Pikeville in the same way.

I'm just saying they don't like each other from the standpoint that a few of the players have been involved in some altercations off the court.
The King Wrote:You sure are posting alot about a game the "really isn't that important"... Rolleyes

This game is very important to Pikeville to prove to themselves that they are capable of playing with Valley. The game is very important to Valley to prove that they are still superior to Pikeville. From a mindset standpoint I see this game as being very important to both teams.
They know they can play with Valley already. There isnt any pressure at all on Pikeville to go into Valleys home gym and win. The pressure is on Valley. Last season Valley beat Pikeville 4 times. At the 4th games, after been beaten by Valley 3 times they went to play to win.

So you tell me, is this game as important as the game between the two at Pikeville where the number 1 seed will be determined if both teams sweep East Ridge?
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:They know they can play with Valley already. There isnt any pressure at all on Pikeville to go into Valleys home gym and win. The pressure is on Valley. Last season Valley beat Pikeville 4 times. At the 4th games, after been beaten by Valley 3 times they went to play to win.

So you tell me, is this game as important as the game between the two at Pikeville where the number 1 seed will be determined if both teams sweep East Ridge?

If they both sweep ER, and then split 1-1, won't it go by how they did against 15th region teams?
Technically Valley could take the season series 2-1 and Pikeville could still be the #1 seed in district. But remember if they both beat ER every time this year that #1 seed won't mean jack in the District championship game.
PC_You_Know Wrote:If they both sweep ER, and then split 1-1, won't it go by how they did against 15th region teams?
No, it would go by who won the second game between the two that is tied. Last season it was in Valleys favor where the second game between the two was at Valley, this year the second game is at Pikeville.

Panther Thunder Wrote:Technically Valley could take the season series 2-1 and Pikeville could still be the #1 seed in district. But remember if they both beat ER every time this year that #1 seed won't mean jack in the District championship game.
All the number 1 seed would really mean is that would be a automatic region entry.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:They know they can play with Valley already. There isnt any pressure at all on Pikeville to go into Valleys home gym and win. The pressure is on Valley. Last season Valley beat Pikeville 4 times. At the 4th games, after been beaten by Valley 3 times they went to play to win.

So how do they know that they can play with Valley?
Valley will beat pikeville...jbs beat them by 40 and valley can play with jbs
I'll go with Valley by 10-15 in this one. I see this rivalry game bein Valley's "back to normal" game.
bobcatfan22 Wrote:Valley will beat pikeville...jbs beat them by 40 and valley can play with jbs
Great reasoning. By your Logic UK and Arkansas should be in front of LSU and since UK also beat Arkansas, UK IS THE NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!!! But seriously you can't compare scores like that. Valley may very well win but it won be because JBS beat Pikeville.
Valley by 25.
bobcatfan22 Wrote:Valley will beat pikeville...jbs beat them by 40 and valley can play with jbs
I will admit if Valley shoots 73% from the field, they will win. Just the same as if Pikeville shoots like they did the second half against East Ridge, they will win. If you are shooting 70% or better from the field, you will win, and most likely blow someone out of the gym.
Reading about how you all think these two teams get along i can't help but think you all are crazy...because i promise you there will be some exchanging of words with each other on both teams part...and it may get ugly...but i hope it doesn't

now don't get me wrong...I am sure that some of valley's players get alone with pikeville's players and vise versa but i know there are a few that really don't like each other!
Panther Thunder Wrote:Great reasoning. By your Logic UK and Arkansas should be in front of LSU and since UK also beat Arkansas, UK IS THE NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!!! But seriously you can't compare scores like that. Valley may very well win but it won be because JBS beat Pikeville.

Funny.... I have actually been joking around about that. But I see your point and i agree.
Nomercy Wrote:Shelby Valley should win by 25-30.

No way Valley wins by that much. These two teams know each other too well for either team to win in a blowout.

BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:As far as the players goes, it is a important game because I know they want to win every night out. But in all actually, it really isnt important except for bragging rights.

If the district is a two way tie as far as win-lose records, the tie breaker will be who wins the second head to head matchup. This year, the second game between Pikeville and Valley is held at Pikeville.

You're forgetting one factor that still gives this game some meaning: the remaining games with East Ridge. I know you guys just blew them out by 20+ points, but it is always a different game over on Lick Creek. Just ask Valley, who had to sweat out a victory over the Warriors just a couple weeks ago.

I don't see any way Valley loses to East Ridge at home, so if they beat Pikeville tomorrow night, suddenly there is a lot of pressure on Pikeville to win at East Ridge in order to stay in the hunt for the #1 seed.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Panther Thunder Wrote:Yea, but it is a very mutual respect.
Dude what are you talking about? The deep seeded hatred for Pikeville High School runs deep on "Planet Virgie". It started a long time before you and I were ever born and will continue to exist long after were gone. I ought to know. I went to school up there for a while before I transfered to Pikeville and Ive got family members up there who still wont talk to me over it LOL!!!
this is game is gonna be alot closer than what most poeple are thinking...sure pikeville played a bad couple of games but they did it against good teams...tim honakers needs to penetrate to the basket like he is so good at...jordan bell is quick but so is elisha justice which should make for a good matchup when jordan enters the game...and the biggest part of the game will be deven adams and ashley hatfield...when valley played central ashley had 28 as he was the only player on valleys team to do good that night...i think deven will keep him below 20 maybe even 15 but ashley needs to play some strong defense to help keep deven from getting his third triple-duble of the season...i think either team could win but im not sure who and it will be within a 6 point margin
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I will admit if Valley shoots 73% from the field, they will win. Just the same as if Pikeville shoots like they did the second half against East Ridge, they will win. If you are shooting 70% or better from the field, you will win, and most likely blow someone out of the gym.

I agree
Valley 92-66
Dazed&Confused Wrote:Reading about how you all think these two teams get along i can't help but think you all are crazy...because i promise you there will be some exchanging of words with each other on both teams part...and it may get ugly...but i hope it doesn't

now don't get me wrong...I am sure that some of valley's players get alone with pikeville's players and vise versa but i know there are a few that really don't like each other!

I look for alot of turmoil in this game. Pikeville has a couple of players on their team that actually love that kind of stuff.
Elwayfan Wrote:I look for alot of turmoil in this game. Pikeville has a couple of players on their team that actually love that kind of stuff.

If I recall, didn't one of Valley and Pikeville's players get into an altercation in which the Valley player beat him up?
sv by 10
PC_You_Know Wrote:If I recall, didn't one of Valley and Pikeville's players get into an altercation in which the Valley player beat him up?

First I have heard of that one, but I do know of a Pikeville player who wants to break the nose of a Valley player.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:First I have heard of that one, but I do know of a Pikeville player who wants to break the nose of a Valley player.
Then they do dislike each other then. That sounds more than mutual respect then. Should be a good one to watch................