Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Rankings as of 1/6/08
Thanks More Cowbell. I've seen almost every team in action so I tried to give in-depth analysis of each one. I do believe I'll have to agree with you on the top 2. I had forgotten Newsome had blown his knee out for Valley. While some may say losing one of numerous stars won't make a difference, it will. Newsome makes a huge difference in the post and his ability to run the floor for a kid his size is something Tackett doesn't have off the bench and it appears as if he will be filling in for Newsome. The return of Bundy to Paintsville now forces me to recant my rankings and place Paintsville at the top. They may now be able to dethrone the Wildcats. Only time will tell my friend.
More Cowbell Wrote:Wow, nice post, TOaO13.

For that to be your first and only post so far on BGR, you did a great job analyzing each team in the region. You made excellent points for why you ranked each team as you did.

The only thing I would change from most people's posts is the top 2, however. I know Shelby Valley is the defending champion and they have had some impressive wins, but I think that you would have to put Paintsville #1 right now. With Valley losing Taylor Newsome for the year and Paintsville apparently getting Blake Bundy back, I think the slight edge has to go to the Tigers.

I would have to agree with you on that. Great post though.
The One and Only 13 Wrote:1. Shelby Valley- Shelby Valley is still top of the line in the 15th. Their youth, talent, and supreme bench depth is unparalleled in this area and most of the state. Don't be surprised to see the Wildcats suiting up on in the morning session of Championship Saturday at Rupp this year. They're that good.
2. Paintsville- This is by far the best team the Tigers have had around Landon Slone since he's been there. This is probably the only chance the rest of the 15th region has to knock off Valley.
3. Pikeville- The best of the rest. With the 6'10" Devon Adams patrolling the middle, Pikeville has a chance in any game they play. Matt Clevenger and Tim Honaker don't hurt their cause either.
4. East Ridge- The Warriors have been the biggest surprise in the 15th region thus far IMO. The play of Mike Rowe in the middle has been phenomenal and the 3 point play of their guards and their bench remind me a lot of the surprise 15th region championship team of 2004. Don't look for the tribe to fade anytime soon.
5. Allen Central- Allen Central has been modest so this year. The Betsy Layne upset earlier this year decreased the amount of respect people had for the Rebels but this is still a very good team. Aaron Crum has been streaky from the 3 point arch in some stretches this year but he has come up big a lot as well but Alex Hammonds has been the general for the Rebels this year. He penetrates and scores like no other in this region and he very well may be the best PG in this region.
6. Belfry- WIth Uk recruit Dustin May in the middle, this is a fast team. Steele's play at the point is going to be the deciding factor as to whether or not the Pirates will repeat in the 60th district and whether or not they can go deep in the post season.
7. Phelps- the Hornets shocked everyone by making the region tournament last year. They're not sneaking up on anyone this year. Hunt and Dotson are the two to look out for on the outside though as the Hornets have yet to impress me in their frontcourt. However, don't be surprised if they hoist the 60th district title at the end of the season.
8. Prestonsburg- the Blackcats have been inconsistant to say the least. Jordan Hall has been the consistant player for the Cats. He's underrated by a lot of people but he's a top 10 player in this region, don't doubt it. He can take over a game at any point. Just ask Pikeville or Shelby Valley. The Burg has got to get some better play from the PG position and their bench if they want to make a run.
9. Magoffin County- The Hornets lost a lot to graduation but still have some fight in them. Their guards have been playing well for them this year but they just can't seem to put together consistant play out of their post players. If they can get it together, Paintsville could be in for another shocker this year. That's a big if though.
10. Pike County Central- The Hawks haven't impressed me much this year. They have yet to notch a marquee victory but have some big games coming up to do so. Tyler Hamilton has yet to take over a game like PCC needs him to. He is the leader of this ball club and needs to accept that role.
11. Johnson Central- The Eagles have been hit hard by graduation and by tranfers and are not as dangerous as they have been in previous seasons. Ian Welch is crucial to the success of this team. Jaryd Crum is a great PG and has good vision but lacks the perimeter ability that this team needs. When these two players aren't playing well, Johnson Central is an average team at best.
12. Betsy Layne- Without Jared Newman, the Bobcats don't scare anyone. I have been impressed with the play of Josh Head in the middle but nothing else has surprised me. Brennan Case needs to be more of a penetrate and dish point guard instead of trying to shoot the ball from outside. That's not his strong point. There have been whispers of the return of Newman though. If they get him back, expect a huge shift of power in the 58th district.
13. Lawrence County- The Bulldogs don't have the guard play that they did last year and they need for Lewis Michael to be a lot stronger inside the post. He has looked timid so far this year and he's a big boy. Although, Lawrence County has probably made as much noise as they're going to make this year.
14. Sheldon Clark- The Cardinals have a young, inexperienced, and small ballclub this year. They won't impress you this year but they're up and coming so be prepared for Sheldon Clark to return to prominence in the next couple of years.
15. South Floyd- the Raiders have nothing this year. Wes Akers has done all he can to notch a win for the Raiders but they've come up about 20-40 points short in every single game. They have no bench depth, no post play, and no second option to Akers. I'd say something good about them but there's just not many positives i can derive from this team.
16. Piarist- While the Knights have one more win this year than South Floyd, it's still Piarist. They're big at all positions but they're inexperienced and still don't have the talent to compete with anyone.
one of the best post's ever, nice and I agree 1-16.