Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Rankings as of 1/6/08
TOP 10???...and why?

1. SV- great team, but playing alot better than anticipated...great showings in the Jeffers. Tourn. and the New York Tourn. Elisha Justice was a good player, but this year he's developed into a great player...I dont know for sure, but im sure this kid has tremendous work ethic...I bet he put on 10-15lbs. of muscle on in the off-season...I know i was amazed when i say him...But the loss of Taylor Newsome MAY hurt them later..
2. Paintsville- Has all the tools to take the region...But it's hard to win it, when the tools dont want to work together every single night...For example, a contractor(Runyon) has a hammer(Slone), nails(Vanhoose and Bundy), and wood(Grimm)...But, you cant hold the hammer steady, the nails sharp ends are dull, and the wood is not sturdy...They have all the tools, but just cant build the foundation...
3. Pikeville- Has the regions best big man(Adams), Clevenger, and Honaker(3 of the Top 15 players in the region IMO)
4. Belfry- have been playing really well as of late...
5. ER- Region's biggest surprise just keeps on surprising...
6. AC- Started out strong, but have teetered out as of late, but look for Coach Martin to have this team ready to go come late march...
IMO it's a toss-up after these 6...
uhavenoidea Wrote:TOP 10???...and why?

1. SV- great team, but playing alot better than anticipated...great showings in the Jeffers. Tourn. and the New York Tourn. Elisha Justice was a good player, but this year he's developed into a great player...I dont know for sure, but im sure this kid has tremendous work ethic...I bet he put on 10-15lbs. of muscle on in the off-season...I know i was amazed when i say him...But the loss of Taylor Newsome MAY hurt them later..
2. Paintsville- Has all the tools to take the region...But it's hard to win it, when the tools dont want to work together every single night...For example, a contractor(Runyon) has a hammer(Slone), nails(Vanhoose and Bundy), and wood(Grimm)...But, you cant hold the hammer steady, the nails sharp ends are dull, and the wood is not sturdy...They have all the tools, but just cant build the foundation...
3. Pikeville- Has the regions best big man(Adams), Clevenger, and Honaker(3 of the Top 15 players in the region IMO)
6. AC- Started out strong, but have teetered out as of late, but look for Coach Martin to have this team ready to go come late march...

I agree 100%---good post and good insight into the teams
1. Shelby Valley imo has a slight edge just because they are deeper on the bench.
2. Paintsville has a good team but can get into trouble if they get in foul trouble.
3. I honestly think that one of these two will win the region.
uk96 Wrote:1. Shelby Valley imo has a slight edge just because they are deeper on the bench.
2. Paintsville has a good team but can get into trouble if they get in foul trouble.
3. I honestly think that one of these two will win the region.

I guess we should go ahead and have the region tournament this week then uh? I'm not trying to be smart, so please don't take it that way, because I agree with you. It's SV's to lose and Paintsville is right there with them. Just remember this, teams like Shelby Valley & Paintsville are going to get their opponents best game-in and game-out, which gives other ballclubs like a good shooting Allen Central, an upstart East Ridge, a physical Belfry, an experienced Pikeville a chance to punch a ticket to the Sweet 16. Even a couple of teams like Pike Central & Johnson Central, who are adjusting to new coaches could get their teams playing at their peak come March.

It's gonna be fun to watch and right now, Shelby Valley is a very special team and something you don't see here in the mountains very often.
1. sv
2. paintsville
3.pikeville
4. east ridge
5. belfry
6. allen central
oneandonly Wrote:1. sv
2. paintsville
3.pikeville
4. east ridge
5. belfry
6. allen central

I would say 4-6 could be in any order on any day.
gotcha2 Wrote:I would say 4-6 could be in any order on any day.

I agree also
uhavenoidea Wrote:TOP 10???...and why?

What are you talking about? A lot of Paintsville's players have been starting since they were in 8th grade. The foundation was built 2 years ago. All they need is a little more depth and they would have the 15th region all wrapped up.
1)Shelby Valley
2)Paintsville
3)Pikeville
4)Allen Central
5)Belfry
6)East Ridge
7)Phelps
8)Prestonsburg
9)Johnson Central
10)Magoffin County

I know that Belfry beat AC, but that was Belfry's tournament, I also know that Magoffin beat JC but the game was at MC. Not blaming anything on anyone for those teams losing but it was home games for both, if they played on a neutral floor I think AC would have defeated Belfry and JC would have defeated Magoffin.
colts12 Wrote:What are you talking about? A lot of Paintsville's players have been starting since they were in 8th grade. The foundation was built 2 years ago. All they need is a little more depth and they would have the 15th region all wrapped up.
They have had 5 years to develop some depth and haven't, now it is too late. This bunch has never even won a single regional tournament game so what makes you honestly believe they can win three in a row. These seniors have waited too late, somebody will upset them!! BMR will go out without getting the job done with a ton of talent!
IMO it's a two team race, but hey, anything could happen.

1. SV = I just think they are too much for Paintsville.
2. Paintsville = I don't think they have the depth to beat valley.
#'s 3-6 could go in any order between Pikeville, Belfry, AC, and East Ridge. I don't think there is much difference in any of these teams. Outside those top 6 teams I don't think anyone else could win the 15th region this year.

Just my opinion!
colts12 Wrote:What are you talking about? A lot of Paintsville's players have been starting since they were in 8th grade. The foundation was built 2 years ago. All they need is a little more depth and they would have the 15th region all wrapped up.

Im talking foundation for a solid postseason run...They havent won a regional tourn. game after almost beating the eventual champs there fresh. yr...Yes, they have the players but not the foundation..
blackcat_student Wrote:1)Shelby Valley
2)Paintsville
3)Pikeville
4)Allen Central
5)Belfry
6)East Ridge
7)Phelps
8)Prestonsburg
9)Johnson Central
10)Magoffin County

I know that Belfry beat AC, but that was Belfry's tournament, I also know that Magoffin beat JC but the game was at MC. Not blaming anything on anyone for those teams losing but it was home games for both, if they played on a neutral floor I think AC would have defeated Belfry and JC would have defeated Magoffin.

Belfry beat AC at Pike Central's Tourn.
1. Shelby Valley
2. Paintsville
3. Pikeville
4. Pike Central
5. Belfry
6. East Ridge
7. Allen Central
8. Johnson Central
9. Phelps
10. Besty Layne
Shelby valley is definetly the front runners
uhavenoidea Wrote:Im talking foundation for a solid postseason run...They havent won a regional tourn. game after almost beating the eventual champs there fresh. yr...Yes, they have the players but not the foundation..

Well IMO i think that they do have a foundation for a solid postseason run but i respect your opinion in saying that they dont. We'll just have to wait and see....
bball fan Wrote:They have had 5 years to develop some depth and haven't, now it is too late. This bunch has never even won a single regional tournament game so what makes you honestly believe they can win three in a row. These seniors have waited too late, somebody will upset them!! BMR will go out without getting the job done with a ton of talent!

It doesnt matter what games they've lost in the past. This is NOW. IMO they have the expierience to get to the next level this year.
I always find it funny when people say Paintsville will make a run for this and this, boys, you have to win a regional game with the bunch you have before you can think of winning region!
colts12 Wrote:It doesnt matter what games they've lost in the past. This is NOW. IMO they have the expierience to get to the next level this year.

SV has more big time exposure than Paintsville does.

that is what i say too
i think paintsville will win the 15th region
colts12 Wrote:It doesnt matter what games they've lost in the past. This is NOW. IMO they have the expierience to get to the next level this year.

i agree with that too
uhavenoidea Wrote:Belfry beat AC at Pike Central's Tourn.

Oh... Well.Cool

Smile
colts12 Wrote:Well IMO i think that they do have a foundation for a solid postseason run but i respect your opinion in saying that they dont. We'll just have to wait and see....

I respect your opinion as well...All im saying is that they have had the players for the past few years and havent made a run at Rupp...This indeed may be the year, but from what SV is doing, Paintsville is playing good right now, but come postseason they will have to raise there game up another level 2 beat SV or win this region...
M12 Wrote:that is what i say too
i think paintsville will win the 15th region

maybe with a very big upset, but in all honesty even though i want a new regional champ this year, i think shelby valley has it hands down for the next two years at least.
warriorpride Wrote:1. Shelby Valley
2. Paintsville
3. Pikeville
4. Pike Central
5. Belfry
6. East Ridge
7. Allen Central
8. Johnson Central
9. Phelps
10. Besty Layne

Pike Central is definitely not four-worthy. JC beat them by 17 in a game that was never close. Right now, I'd move them down a few spots and bump everyone else on this list up except Phelps and Betsy Layne.
2. Paintsville
3. Pikeville
4. Pike Central
5. Belfry
6. East Ridge
7. Allen Central
8. Johnson Central
9. Phelps
10. Besty Layne

No Way PCC is 4...and No Way AC is 7. JMO.
2. Paintsville
3. Pikeville
4. Pike Central
5. Belfry
6. East Ridge
7. Allen Central
8. Johnson Central
9. Phelps
10. Besty Layne

Id replace PC with Belfry and AC for ER(will start to fall slowly IMO)
AC has played PCC twice this season. Beating them at AC by 14 and at PCC in the Coke Classic by 19. Don't know how you could place them 4th and AC 7th.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I always find it funny when people say Paintsville will make a run for this and this, boys, you have to win a regional game with the bunch you have before you can think of winning region!

Good Point! Paintsville hasn't won a regional tournament game since 02/03. This is definitely a talented paintsville team, who could very well win the 15th region when its all said and done, but this group of tigers has had trouble living up to the expectations of others over the last several years.
gotcha2 Wrote:AC has played PCC twice this season. Beating them at AC by 14 and at PCC in the Coke Classic by 19. Don't know how you could place them 4th and AC 7th.

Who are you talking to?