Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry Basketball
vobra281 Wrote:The guy that will end up with the job in my opinion is deskins. Thompson will be there for at least another year. He's not going anywhere. I don't think
This is the solution either but afraid that is who we will be stuck with.

Well the answer isn’t putting somebody at the school in as Coach they need to go get a Coach this program needs rebuilt from the bottom to the top
I would love to see both boys and girls jobs posted. See who applies. You may be pleasantly surprised. After doing so, if best candidate was in house (which I highly doubt) then hire them.
vobra281 Wrote:I would love to see both boys and girls jobs posted. See who applies. You may be pleasantly surprised. After doing so, if best candidate was in house (which I highly doubt) then hire them.

It’s going to take somebody outside the school a fresh new eyes and that can rebuild not just anybody can do it but we’re all hoping for some changes
Maybe the answer is a certain belfry alumni that’s heading to region?
IntheZone Wrote:Maybe the answer is a certain belfry alumni that’s heading to region?

Lol 😂
Hopefully they will post it.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Lol 😂
You don’t think so?
Who would that person be?
Are we talking about Hager?
IntheZone Wrote:You don’t think so?

Absolutely not you just got to know the Belfry people not a chance
To be honest I don’t think Thompson is going anywhere unless he’s just so embarrassed he gives it up and by the way if I was him that’s what I would do but I don’t think he’s going anywhere
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Mark Thompson is wanted for murder.
Belfry Basketball R.I.P 1925 to 2019

I was wondering if they ever pick Thompson up yet Pond Creek Nation is about to make a citizens arrest 👮🏼*♀️👮🏼*♀️👮🏼*♀️👮🏼*♀️👮🏼*♀️🚔🚔🚔🚔
There are several reasons the Belfry basketball program is doing poorly. In my opinion, part of the reason is Thompson. I feel that he knows one way to coach and if he doesn’t have the personnel for that style, he struggles. I also get the impression that players do not respect him. But those two opinions are more hearsay than actual observations. However, I feel it goes much deeper than that. Since Belfry began winning State Championships in football, no one wants to rock the boat in the off-season and expect players to work on basketball. No knock on football, but it takes a lot more skill to play basketball than football. It is much easier to get by on athletic ability in football than basketball. So, your multi-sport athletes do not play basketball until football season is over. Also, during Belfry’s best years of basketball, there were 6 feeder schools. Each school had a team of 12-15 players that got playing time and developed their skills. That’s 72-90 players to choose from that have played and at least learned to be a role player. Also, instead of a Belfry Little League, these schools also had teams of younger kids that played other schools. Kids today also have much more to occupy them than basketball. In the 80’s and 90’s, you would see pickup games outside all the time...now, you cannot find a pickup game. Kids are also coddled too much now...parents are afraid to let their kids fail. Too many are worried about who wins a little league championship as opposed to teaching kids to play the correct way. The Belfry kids that are holdbacks (which I have no problem with) look good in little league and middle school because they’re physically more mature but they do not always work on their basketball skills and eventually other kids catch them physically but they had to work on their skills. Just my opinion but I know what opinions are like.
Pike County Athletics need to regroup someone at central office needs to address whatever problems are.

I think the problem extends outside of Belfry and into every county school.
ImagineThat! Wrote:There are several reasons the Belfry basketball program is doing poorly. In my opinion, part of the reason is Thompson. I feel that he knows one way to coach and if he doesn’t have the personnel for that style, he struggles. I also get the impression that players do not respect him. But those two opinions are more hearsay than actual observations. However, I feel it goes much deeper than that. Since Belfry began winning State Championships in football, no one wants to rock the boat in the off-season and expect players to work on basketball. No knock on football, but it takes a lot more skill to play basketball than football. It is much easier to get by on athletic ability in football than basketball. So, your multi-sport athletes do not play basketball until football season is over. Also, during Belfry’s best years of basketball, there were 6 feeder schools. Each school had a team of 12-15 players that got playing time and developed their skills. That’s 72-90 players to choose from that have played and at least learned to be a role player. Also, instead of a Belfry Little League, these schools also had teams of younger kids that played other schools. Kids today also have much more to occupy them than basketball. In the 80’s and 90’s, you would see pickup games outside all the time...now, you cannot find a pickup game. Kids are also coddled too much now...parents are afraid to let their kids fail. Too many are worried about who wins a little league championship as opposed to teaching kids to play the correct way. The Belfry kids that are holdbacks (which I have no problem with) look good in little league and middle school because they’re physically more mature but they do not always work on their basketball skills and eventually other kids catch them physically but they had to work on their skills. Just my opinion but I know what opinions are like.

You know I almost mentioned something about this in my post but chose not to.

I think there is some ironic truth though.

I honestly feel like consolidation helped Belfry football substantially... but cant help but think it has hurt basketball.

For years Varney Elementary was the lifeblood of Belfry basketball much like Dorton and Virgie fueled Shelby Valley.

There was always attrition in High School, but back when you had multiple schools you found kids who had their "niche" playing basketball. With just a single middle school I dont think you find that as much and kids are almost "football or bust".

I also like your point about pickup basketball. I will add to it that the end of Williamson High School has definitely contributed in my mind as well. Having that rival who had their own success just across the river helped fuel many great pickup games. When I played I might have faced off with Williamson's starters 6 times officially, but I played against those guys probably 15-20 times more over on the courts in West End next to Williamson pool.
I guess Mark Thompson and the school administration is still holding Belfry basketball program hostage.
POND CREEK NATION wants a change now...!!!!!!!
I'm hearing he's back.