Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry Basketball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Give us your thoughts please
You should've expected a slow start this season after losing 4 starters from a 20 win team. However, the recent struggles show that the problems at BHS are much deeper. I'm also hearing that Thompson had a starter to quit earlier this week. This team might not be as fast as he's used to but they sure have size and talent. I believe the problem is that Mark just refuses to change his coaching style to match the style of team he has. This should be a slow it down and run sets kinda team, not a run and gun like last season's team. I have noticed that they lack a true scorer, but I do see a balanced team that you can never tell who is gonna have a good night. Hopefully, the team gets it turned around in time for district and post season.
Not saying anyone is right or wrong , but wins and losses do not make up a program , a season , or a coach. Thompson has been at Belfry 6 years and only has missed the regional tournament one time, and that was when he was playing with a team full of sophomores, while playing in a district with a really good PC team , and LC with the Dalton brothers. Last year PC had best record in the 60th and 2nd best record in the region , yet Belfry beat them 3 times. Belfry could cake a schedule and win 20 games every year like a lot of teams in region do, but Thompson seems to have always played a tough schedule . So I don’t buy into the wins and losses of a team or program. Sure, this years team is struggling a little but they are playing with a team that has never played together before. They lost around 98% of their scoring from last season. Hard to put together a team who has never played together before , especially when majority plays football and there is just not enough time to get them to mesh before the season starts in the 2 weeks or so from football to first basketball game . It’s always going to be tough to be a extremely successful basketball program at Belfry. There are not many kids who are basketball only guys. Most play football, and when you have a football program like Belfry’s ( and it’s the first sport of the school year ) its hard to get kids in the off-season to focus just on basketball, when football is priority because it’s the next sport up. Not knocking the football program in any way. But that’s why Belfry is one of the hardest coaching jobs probably in the state of Kentucky. They do not have the enrollment like JC or a lot of the other Louisville or Lexington schools to have kids that stick to one sport mostly. Most kids that play basketball at Belfry for the most part are and always will be football players also, and with Belfry being such a dominant program and going deep into the playoffs year after year, it’s hard to get kids in shape and build chemistry in the week or 2 they have before their first game. By the time a coach and the players figures out the teams identity, the season is already half over.
bloodypike91 Wrote:Not saying anyone is right or wrong , but wins and losses do not make up a program , a season , or a coach. Thompson has been at Belfry 6 years and only has missed the regional tournament one time, and that was when he was playing with a team full of sophomores, while playing in a district with a really good PC team , and LC with the Dalton brothers. Last year PC had best record in the 60th and 2nd best record in the region , yet Belfry beat them 3 times. Belfry could cake a schedule and win 20 games every year like a lot of teams in region do, but Thompson seems to have always played a tough schedule . So I don’t buy into the wins and losses of a team or program. Sure, this years team is struggling a little but they are playing with a team that has never played together before. They lost around 98% of their scoring from last season. Hard to put together a team who has never played together before , especially when majority plays football and there is just not enough time to get them to mesh before the season starts in the 2 weeks or so from football to first basketball game . It’s always going to be tough to be a extremely successful basketball program at Belfry. There are not many kids who are basketball only guys. Most play football, and when you have a football program like Belfry’s ( and it’s the first sport of the school year ) its hard to get kids in the off-season to focus just on basketball, when football is priority because it’s the next sport up. Not knocking the football program in any way. But that’s why Belfry is one of the hardest coaching jobs probably in the state of Kentucky. They do not have the enrollment like JC or a lot of the other Louisville or Lexington schools to have kids that stick to one sport mostly. Most kids that play basketball at Belfry for the most part are and always will be football players also, and with Belfry being such a dominant program and going deep into the playoffs year after year, it’s hard to get kids in shape and build chemistry in the week or 2 they have before their first game. By the time a coach and the players figures out the teams identity, the season is already half over.

Pikeville doesn’t seem to struggle with being competitive in bits basketball, girls basketball and baseball......along with a fine football program. Can u explain what the difference is?
There is a difference between being a great athlete and being a great skilled basketball player. There has been some stellar athletes come through Belfry but how many of them were just great basketball players? This last group of kids that has came through Pikeville are one of the best groups to have ever came through there. Winning back to back regions with some great basketball players. Battaile is on the bench for Louisville, a major D1 program. When’s the last time a major D1 basketball player has came through Belfry? They also get kids from all over the region. In the last 30 years , both basketball programs have only won 3 regions which Belfrys were all with the same kids. Booher , who is a state championship coach , along with many regional titles only won 11 games his year at BHS. He obviously saw something there he didnt like. Belfry don’t struggle as much as everyone thinks either. They compete with most programs year in and year out yet everyone gives the program grief. Only missed region 4 times in last 30 years. Thompson plays tough schedules year in and year out , if he cup caked it and got 20 wins every year and lost in district because they play Jenkins and Piarist every game everyone would say “he’s only in it for his record”. Belfry has had some bad losses this year , sure . But they also have played some tough opponents, Knox Central, Knott Co. , JC, Model, Bourbon, Morgan. Go back and look at his schedules over the years vs. Pike Centrals. Belfrys always competitive , just don’t have the basketball only guys that put your teams over the top. Generally just have great athletes and don’t get the opportunity to work on basketball as much as they may like or need to , thats all I’m saying.
It’s time for a change
bloodypike91 Wrote:There is a difference between being a great athlete and being a great skilled basketball player. There has been some stellar athletes come through Belfry but how many of them were just great basketball players? This last group of kids that has came through Pikeville are one of the best groups to have ever came through there. Winning back to back regions with some great basketball players. Battaile is on the bench for Louisville, a major D1 program. When’s the last time a major D1 basketball player has came through Belfry? They also get kids from all over the region. In the last 30 years , both basketball programs have only won 3 regions which Belfrys were all with the same kids. Booher , who is a state championship coach , along with many regional titles only won 11 games his year at BHS. He obviously saw something there he didnt like. Belfry don’t struggle as much as everyone thinks either. They compete with most programs year in and year out yet everyone gives the program grief. Only missed region 4 times in last 30 years. Thompson plays tough schedules year in and year out , if he cup caked it and got 20 wins every year and lost in district because they play Jenkins and Piarist every game everyone would say “he’s only in it for his record”. Belfry has had some bad losses this year , sure . But they also have played some tough opponents, Knox Central, Knott Co. , JC, Model, Bourbon, Morgan. Go back and look at his schedules over the years vs. Pike Centrals. Belfrys always competitive , just don’t have the basketball only guys that put your teams over the top. Generally just have great athletes and don’t get the opportunity to work on basketball as much as they may like or need to , thats all I’m saying.

You make some interesting points. That being said....Belfry’s program is not so much different than many across the state in regards to talent. However....you mentioning Battalie is a little weak. Pikeville has always been a force year in year out in the Region...well before their 1 division 1 player. While I do know that have some basketball only kids....which undoubtedly helps in their overall development.....there has to be someone at the top directing the overall program to keep them viable and a yearly threat. That’s the missing piece at BHS. It’s really rather embarrassing that BHS has only went to the Sweet 16 a whole 3 Times in the school’s history. It would be one thing if they were in the 10th region....or even the 13th or 14h. But the 15th is routinely the WORST Region in the state.....bar none. We’re not gonna agree on your use of the word “competitive”. The way you’re using it, then PIke Central would be deemed competitive in football. Which we all know isn’t the case.

I have to agree with some other posters. It’s time for a change at the top. No disrespect for the current coach, staff or their efforts. I’ve not met them. But changes need to happen.
I think you strengthened my argument a little more actually...You claimed Pikeville is a dominant "force" in our region, yet have only won 3 regions in the last 35 years, as has Belfry - and the championships won have been with the same group of kids at both schools, with the exception of the one PHS had in the 90s. - My point is it is an extremely hard task to win this region even if the 15th in the weakest one. The Battaile argument isn't weak. Its simply how it is. It is extremely difficult to win this region unless you have a star player that is capable of giving you 30+ a game. Belfry historically just hasn't had that. Last year they had Roblee, and they made a strong region run. Last time Belfry has had a dominant scorer like that is back with Jamie Case/ Matt Maynard, and they were in the regional championship game. Just as Battaile was with Pikeville, Mason Blair with JC before that, this year looking as if the front runner is SV and they have Potter and to look back at Belfry's 3 championships - you had JJ Hylton ( first team all-state / 3000 pts) . The kids you have are a big part of success in a program just as much as coaching is. And Belfry just hasn't had many elite players run through. They have stellar athletes, that play multi sports.
I simply believe that a change at Belfry would not do any justice to the program. You could bring Pitino / Cal / Phil Jackson in, and that simply would not change the culture of Belfry High School. As long as the football program is dominant, it will be hard to be extremely successful in basketball, simply because the culture and upbringing at Belfry will be prioritized as football first. Always has been, and always will be. Over the existence of the school there has been 3 regional championships, led by a basketball only guy (JJ) . So whatever Thompson is being accused of, has happened every year other than 3 in the history of the school and to every other coach. If you have a muti-sport athlete at that school, odds are they play football, and consider that their primary sport. Secondary to most kids that play. ( not all). I am not trashing the football program in any way. I support them, and hope only for success in all their teams and the kids. But that's just the way it is at Belfry, and no matter who the Administration brings in, it will not change the cause, the culture, and the way of life as a Belfry athlete.
You need kids that are in the gym 24/7 year around. And with football being dominant, and with it being the first sport of the school year - starting in July. Kids just simply don't have the time or feel its necessary to be in the gym in the off season.
The problem I see is the kids that just play basketball not all but I have seen a few get less minutes then those that play football. IMO some of these kids were better than those that came out late. Once again just my opinion watching the games. These kids work hard all summer and then have to take a back seat when the other walk in. Which end up quitting by the end of the season and then the basketball only kids end up getting thrown back in and the morale is already low at that point and the chemistry is jacked up again. For the record I do not have a child that plays. Just a fan of the game. Also, I don't see a lot of these kids getting better by the time they are seniors and I don't understand that. I will add that I think you are going to see a shift in the kids and what sports they play. I also want to add a lot more younger kids at Belfry are leaning towards basketball and baseball so maybe if Thompson stays and the trend stays this way we will be able to see what he can do with basketball kids.
bloodypike91 Wrote:I think you strengthened my argument a little more actually...You claimed Pikeville is a dominant "force" in our region, yet have only won 3 regions in the last 35 years, as has Belfry - and the championships won have been with the same group of kids at both schools, with the exception of the one PHS had in the 90s. - My point is it is an extremely hard task to win this region even if the 15th in the weakest one. The Battaile argument isn't weak. Its simply how it is. It is extremely difficult to win this region unless you have a star player that is capable of giving you 30+ a game. Belfry historically just hasn't had that. Last year they had Roblee, and they made a strong region run. Last time Belfry has had a dominant scorer like that is back with Jamie Case/ Matt Maynard, and they were in the regional championship game. Just as Battaile was with Pikeville, Mason Blair with JC before that, this year looking as if the front runner is SV and they have Potter and to look back at Belfry's 3 championships - you had JJ Hylton ( first team all-state / 3000 pts) . The kids you have are a big part of success in a program just as much as coaching is. And Belfry just hasn't had many elite players run through. They have stellar athletes, that play multi sports.
I simply believe that a change at Belfry would not do any justice to the program. You could bring Pitino / Cal / Phil Jackson in, and that simply would not change the culture of Belfry High School. As long as the football program is dominant, it will be hard to be extremely successful in basketball, simply because the culture and upbringing at Belfry will be prioritized as football first. Always has been, and always will be. Over the existence of the school there has been 3 regional championships, led by a basketball only guy (JJ) . So whatever Thompson is being accused of, has happened every year other than 3 in the history of the school and to every other coach. If you have a muti-sport athlete at that school, odds are they play football, and consider that their primary sport. Secondary to most kids that play. ( not all). I am not trashing the football program in any way. I support them, and hope only for success in all their teams and the kids. But that's just the way it is at Belfry, and no matter who the Administration brings in, it will not change the cause, the culture, and the way of life as a Belfry athlete.
You need kids that are in the gym 24/7 year around. And with football being dominant, and with it being the first sport of the school year - starting in July. Kids just simply don't have the time or feel its necessary to be in the gym in the off season.

I actually used the word "force"....I didn't phase it as they were a "dominant force"....You did that. In using the term "force"...that's indicating that Pikeville is routinely in the upper mix of vying for the region. A consistent winner....a team that's capable of advancing. Rarely, since the days of Hylton, Hager, Dotson, Kinzer and the like has Belfry basketball found themselves in the upper echelon of the region. We can discuss and argue semantics all day.....but the facts don't change. Belfry hadn't smelled a Sweet 16 before Hylton's group and hasn't since.

We do agree that the primary multi-sport athletes are more focused on football. The success they've had is the main driver of that.

JJ Hylton actually played football toward the end of his HS career. Junior or Senior year. don't remember which.

I will say this....I think the shadow Haywood casts over the entire sports program at Belfry is a long one. I readily admit that coaching with an icon in the building , who essentially in some regards run the programs can be a difficult process.
People can argue all they want.
But nothing is going to change the FACT

IT'S TIME
Belfry is in the same boat that Pikeville was in before Booher got there. Pikeville didn’t get it until Booher got there and coaching changes were made. Belfry will have to make changes in admistration that actually care about basketball. From what I understand Haywood runs the show. Until someone gets in there that knows and understands basketball, the same will happen year in and year out, like what was happening at Pikeville.
There’s no reason that at a school the size of Belfry and with the athletes that go through there every year, they shouldn’t be a viable contender for the region every year. I understand that everyone likes Thompson, just like everyone at Pikeville liked Williams as coach, but a change has to occur before anything different happens there in basketball. Nothing but respect for their coach, but it’s gonna stay the same until changes are made, in administration and bench.
So so many things I can say in this thread. But the simple truth is Thompson is a below average in game coach, can’t adjust to the talent with a game plan and is a poor motivator. There’s a few in this thread that for some reason think he’s the answer and it’s clear they don’t have a clue about his coaching abilities or they may be close friends or family. The bottom line is this, Thompson was hired because of his family plain and simple. Hell he ran the basketball program in the ground at Pike Central and was let go. Who in their right mind thought after what he accomplished at PC would make him a good at Belfry was crazy. The Dotson hierarchy still runs deep at Belfry, always has and always will.
Now what does it take the be successful at Belfry. Actually not as much as some might think. Athletes are athletes. Every school has them including Belfry. I was a part of the glory days of Belfry basketball. I was coached by one of the most underrated coaches in the history of 15th region basketball. You know how he accomplished what he did? He coached his ass off. You knew how to play defense, you knew how to take charges, you knew how to play help defense, etc and if you didn’t play defense you wouldn’t gonna make it in his program. He instilled a toughness, a hatred of losing and a desire to be part of something special. Was he tough to play for? Hell yeah, but did we know what was expected of us on a daily basis? Yep. For the younger posters in this thread let me tell how he ran the program. There’s a reason there wasn’t one single senior on the team during that first regional championship of 1990. The older guys expected it to be handed to them. They had waited their turn and thought it was owed to them. But there was a bunch of sophomores and juniors that understood what was expected to succeed and the next thing you know a bunch of seniors decided not to play. Some are saying the coach would be ran off if he ended up playing underclassmen over the older kids. We’ll grow a set and be like Coach Justice. The man didn’t care what anyone thought. He was there to win. He wasn’t scared of the football tradition. He actually embraced it.
Like Coach Justice you have to get the best kids in uniform and let the most talented play. Who cares about stepping on toes. I understand that the group from 90-92 was special, it was a great honor to be involved in it all. But the talent is still there. You think that the Hyltons, Hager’s, Kinzers, Williamsons, Staffords etc etc didn’t know what was expected of them when they started that run of regional championships? Oh they knew. Do these kids now understand? Not sure.
Belfry High School is a great place to be when both the football and basketball programs are successful. I’ve seen it, it can happen so please stop with the bullshit theory that it’s just too hard to win in basketball because of the football program. If you think Haywood doesn’t want a championship caliber basketball program at Belfry you couldn’t be further from the truth.
Find a coach with some psssion, a desire to teach young kids, not scared of playing the younger talent, can adapt to the skill set of his players and game plan to it, and don’t be afraid to put a kid on the bench if they can’t execute that game plan.
It’s worked before, a lot on this site witnessed it. Standing room only at a Belfry basketball game has become a thing of the past and it’s time the administration and the fans start expecting more.
Kids should play whatever sport is in season.Lift Weights around those schedules. Every practice should start at 4PM and an hour weight session beforehand.
wooderson Wrote:So so many things I can say in this thread. But the simple truth is Thompson is a below average in game coach, can’t adjust to the talent with a game plan and is a poor motivator. There’s a few in this thread that for some reason think he’s the answer and it’s clear they don’t have a clue about his coaching abilities or they may be close friends or family. The bottom line is this, Thompson was hired because of his family plain and simple. Hell he ran the basketball program in the ground at Pike Central and was let go. Who in their right mind thought after what he accomplished at PC would make him a good at Belfry was crazy. The Dotson hierarchy still runs deep at Belfry, always has and always will.
Now what does it take the be successful at Belfry. Actually not as much as some might think. Athletes are athletes. Every school has them including Belfry. I was a part of the glory days of Belfry basketball. I was coached by one of the most underrated coaches in the history of 15th region basketball. You know how he accomplished what he did? He coached his ass off. You knew how to play defense, you knew how to take charges, you knew how to play help defense, etc and if you didn’t play defense you wouldn’t gonna make it in his program. He instilled a toughness, a hatred of losing and a desire to be part of something special. Was he tough to play for? Hell yeah, but did we know what was expected of us on a daily basis? Yep. For the younger posters in this thread let me tell how he ran the program. There’s a reason there wasn’t one single senior on the team during that first regional championship of 1990. The older guys expected it to be handed to them. They had waited their turn and thought it was owed to them. But there was a bunch of sophomores and juniors that understood what was expected to succeed and the next thing you know a bunch of seniors decided not to play. Some are saying the coach would be ran off if he ended up playing underclassmen over the older kids. We’ll grow a set and be like Coach Justice. The man didn’t care what anyone thought. He was there to win. He wasn’t scared of the football tradition. He actually embraced it.
Like Coach Justice you have to get the best kids in uniform and let the most talented play. Who cares about stepping on toes. I understand that the group from 90-92 was special, it was a great honor to be involved in it all. But the talent is still there. You think that the Hyltons, Hager’s, Kinzers, Williamsons, Staffords etc etc didn’t know what was expected of them when they started that run of regional championships? Oh they knew. Do these kids now understand? Not sure.
Belfry High School is a great place to be when both the football and basketball programs are successful. I’ve seen it, it can happen so please stop with the bullshit theory that it’s just too hard to win in basketball because of the football program. If you think Haywood doesn’t want a championship caliber basketball program at Belfry you couldn’t be further from the truth.
Find a coach with some psssion, a desire to teach young kids, not scared of playing the younger talent, can adapt to the skill set of his players and game plan to it, and don’t be afraid to put a kid on the bench if they can’t execute that game plan.
It’s worked before, a lot on this site witnessed it. Standing room only at a Belfry basketball game has become a thing of the past and it’s time the administration and the fans start expecting more.

Well said. couldn't agree more. And yes.....I remember when the old gym was stacked, packed and racked. It happened often under Tommy Dean Runyon as well as Raymond
Belfry Basketball? You got a team? I thought that it was just conditioning for football.
I live on Pond Creek and i know if it's not football then most couldn't care less.
PHSFAN Wrote:I live on Pond Creek and i know if it's not football then most couldn't care less.

You’re 100% correct, and I don’t live on Pond Creek. That’s just the reality. Very sad...but true.
This has nothing to do with football.

Belfry Basketball Boys and Girls

It's time for changes in both.
Can't say football is holding the girls program back. And it's not holding the boys program back
I disagree, I do feel that the football program holds the basketball program back. My question is who do you get to take the jobs? Who would want to compete against the football program every year. Even though I do see the football program falling off after this year coming and maybe that's when they make the change.
I have only seen Belfry play once this year (against Shelby Valley), but I was impressed with how hard they played. They did get down by 14 after one and looked like they were going to get run out of the gym, but their players never quit. They actually outplayed Valley for most of the second half. I am not going to speak to the coach's skill in x's and o's, but I will say his players gave it their all for him.
Well what do you think the Pirates will do with the remainder of the season
Based on their remaining schedule I think going into the postseason they will be 10-19.

I think they will lose to Phelps in the District Tournament. They've played Phelps close both games and won both...I think the saying "It's hard to beat a team 3 times" comes into play. Not to mention Phelps is hosting the district if I'm not mistaken.

I think their best case would be if they did beat Phelps in the District, they'd finish runners up to Pike Central. If they drew the 58th District champion, likely Lawrence County...they could possibly upset them if Lawrence had an off night. If they draw the 57th or 59th champion though...it would likely be a running clock making their trip to the Expo Center even shorter.
I think they will end up 9 - 20 and Phelps could beat them in district and that would end there season but if they get past Phelps they will get beat first round of region
I guess the question now is will they win 9 games in the regular season FLoyd Central is playing a lot better than they did at the beginning of the season I never thought I’d see A Belfry team win under 10 games in a regular season. “TIME FOR A CHANGE”
Chris Phillips will be the girls head coach

Kevin Deskins will be an assistant for boys next year and take the head position the year after.

Probably the best moves they can make.
Ghost of R.J.Jr. Wrote:Chris Phillips will be the girls head coach

Kevin Deskins will be an assistant for boys next year and take the head position the year after.

Probably the best moves they can make.

They really just need to open both jobs and see who all puts in for them.

They don't need to promise these jobs to anyone until they see who applies.

I think they'll be surprised by the people that are interested
Frankie smith- boys coach
Keith may- girls coach
Warriorhawk17 Wrote:Frankie smith- boys coach
Keith may- girls coach

Bad move on boys sides

Haywood and Smith wouldn't work well together, Plus that's a lateral move from Mark. If they're going to do at least get someone better than Mark
Well Belfry finished out this regular season with 8 wins that makes Thompson 68 - 109 at Belfry Belfry don’t have anybody at that school that could bring the basketball program back from the dead
Pages: 1 2 3