Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville 56 Johnson Central 44
well congratulations to paintsville. But i always think they are so overated over in the 15th.
BIGBLACK Wrote:Do you all think this sloppy of a game from Paintsville will carry over to their big match-up with South Laurel, Saturday? How do you think this loss will effect Central when they play Sheldon Clark on Friday in Inez?

Don't really know what to expect Saturday. It wouldn't surprise me if they got beat or even if they won. When they're clicking together they are tough to beat. I know I can compare LC to SL. But, the first time they played LC they were sloppy. The next time they played them. Man they flat out lit them up. Paintsville has a lot of weapons and if you key on one. They will just go to another. Wish them nothing but luck though. Hope I can go see it.
konan Wrote:well congratulations to paintsville. But i always think they are so overated over in the 15th.

You always think so? Interesting.
konan Wrote:well congratulations to paintsville. But i always think they are so overated over in the 15th.

As Billy Ray told Travis Tritt. "Here's a Quarter"!
Congrats to the Tigers, had a feelin' they would win by double digits. Seems to me like Paintsville plays to their competition a lot this season, but needs to play to their potential if they want to make a trip to Rupp.
IRISH4 Wrote:Congrats to the Tigers, had a feelin' they would win by double digits. Seems to me like Paintsville plays to their competition a lot this season, but needs to play to their potential if they want to make a trip to Rupp.

That is often the case. And it has cost them at least a couple of times already this year!!
Congrats to Paintsville
Very sloppy game from both sides. JC seemed to match up better with Paintsville than I thought, but JC's shooting and shot selection was awful. I felt a faster pace would have put JC player's in a better position to have better shots. Paintsville hit the shots when they needed them.

The two best players on the floor tonight were Fergeson and Welch. These guys play hard and with heart.
Did Johnson Central hold the basketball?? If so, why?? what kind of message is Starn's sending to his kids? We can't beat them unless we take the air out of the ball. I picked JC to win this one but I didn't think they would play keep away.
Maybe he was trying to slow the tempo of the game down. Paintsville is more of a run-n-gun type team, I've seen them play twice now and they seem to always go for the fast break points. He may have thought holding the ball would throw Paintsville off their game and give them a better chance at winning.

I have heard good things about the Welch kid, what grade is he in?
Welch is a sophomore I believe. He has an excellent frame and a wonderful upside to him. I agree Irish, maybe he was trying to throw Paintsville off of their game. For the most part, in the first half it seemed like it was working.
Poor old Johnson Central. Run on hard times this year. I guess good players don't always mesh well together. A 5-10 record and losers of the last 9 out of 10. Looks like they were very much so over hyped pre season. Starns had better pull a rabbit out of his hat (or a Win) or he will go from one of the best coaches in the region last year doing a great job to one of the worst. I wonder what caused such a drastic drop in wins?
Congrats Paintsville
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:Poor old Johnson Central. Run on hard times this year. I guess good players don't always mesh well together. A 5-10 record and losers of the last 9 out of 10. Looks like they were very much so over hyped pre season. Starns had better pull a rabbit out of his hat (or a Win) or he will go from one of the best coaches in the region last year doing a great job to one of the worst. I wonder what caused such a drastic drop in wins?

Not to be a jerk, or "that guy", but are you aware you have spelled "prodigy" incorrectly?
Big Jim Wrote:Not to be a jerk, or "that guy", but are you aware you have spelled "prodigy" incorrectly?

Smile
OffTheHook Wrote:As Billy Ray told Travis Tritt. "Here's a Quarter"!

:lmao:
Van played a great game off of the bench. I think he is if not the best one of the best talents in the region.
ducky Wrote:Did Johnson Central hold the basketball?? If so, why?? what kind of message is Starn's sending to his kids? We can't beat them unless we take the air out of the ball. I picked JC to win this one but I didn't think they would play keep away.

Keep away was the name of the game the first half. JC even got called for a 5s violation!! When does that happen outside of buddy ball?? Regardless, the 2nd half Starns' plan blew up in his face.

PHS ~ play YOUR game at YOUR level. To H*** with everything else. Quit lowering yourself to the level of your opponent. Throw in some D from time to time and don't look scared to go up strong. You're going to have a foul called anyway, make it worth it. :Thumbs:

As for McCarty, I never saw many others with the ball. I don't know how many shots he took, but if you look at the stats, they are widely lopsided. PHS had nice even scoring and contributions.

Now for the crowd ~ I came in from the front. PHS totally drowned JCHS. Even on the radio, people said all you could hear were the Tigers. Way to go blue!! :Cheerlead

Hopefully it was all quiet in "Eagleville" this morning. Smile
#1TigerFan Wrote:Keep away was the name of the game the first half. JC even got called for a 5s violation!! When does that happen outside of buddy ball?? Regardless, the 2nd half Starns' plan blew up in his face.

PHS ~ play YOUR game at YOUR level. To H*** with everything else. Quit lowering yourself to the level of your opponent. Throw in some D from time to time and don't look scared to go up strong. You're going to have a foul called anyway, make it worth it. :Thumbs:

As for McCarty, I never saw many others with the ball. I don't know how many shots he took, but if you look at the stats, they are widely lopsided. PHS had nice even scoring and contributions.

Now for the crowd ~ I came in from the front. PHS totally drowned JCHS. Even on the radio, people said all you could hear were the Tigers. Way to go blue!! :Cheerlead

:letsparty Nice!!
Good win Tigers
Fred_Samford Wrote:What is wrong with Johnson Central this year?...I thought they would be really good since they have one of the top 2 or 3 players in the region and probably one of the top 2 or 3 point guards...When Crum transferred I figured they would be really tough...Does anyone know whats going on over there?

The key word is inexperience, just take a look back to last years team you will notice that 7 of the top 8 players are not on this years squad (5 graduated 1 decided to concentrate on baseball and one quit the team). McCarty has been a starter for a couple of years, Crum transfered from SC and both Welch and Whitker played for very little as freshman.
BIGBLACK Wrote:It may have be Danny Johnson they also have another fellow over their announcing this year. I have no idea of his name, but I have seen him in the past coaching the Prestonsburg All-Stars, most recently I saw him affiliated with the Paintsville Little League.

the other guy is Brian "BJ" Johnson. I think he does a good job.
#1TigerFan Wrote:BTW ~ Fred's last name was Sanford, but I like it :Clap:

Crum transferring in and bball playing 2nd to football can affect a school. I know JC supports all sports well, but you can tell bball is off.

On another note, the PHS crowd outnumbered JCHS. I was even shocked. :Cheerlead

Paintsville did have a good crowd, however, i wouldn't say it out number JC's. there were only two sections of bleachers pulled out on Paintsville's side in the the upper level? and a lot of the lower section had jC fans.
#1TigerFan Wrote:Keep away was the name of the game the first half. JC even got called for a 5s violation!! When does that happen outside of buddy ball?? Regardless, the 2nd half Starns' plan blew up in his face.

Not really sure why everyone says P-ville had a bigger crowd. JC had both the top and bottom section filled up on thier side and one side section of the tiger side full. I think p-ville was louder on the radio because their crowd was right behind the announcers. on a different not, neither team played well. this was not a fun game to watch! if paintsville is going to win the region they had better start playing like they are capable. and if central wants to win another game this season they need to quit shooting the 3 and shoot 2's only. also, Mccarty needs to be benched, i don't care if we lose by 100 bench him until he learns to pass! congrats tigers!:Thumbs:
eaglehoops Wrote:if paintsville is going to win the region they had better start playing like they are capable. and if central wants to win another game this season they need to quit shooting the 3 and shoot 2's only. also, Mccarty needs to be benched, i don't care if we lose by 100 bench him until he learns to pass! congrats tigers!:Thumbs:

Probably one of the best statements I've seen on this thread yet.:thumpsup:
I don't know what is going on over in Johnson County but it looks to me like both teams need to pick up some slack.
Also -- does anyone know whether or not it's the JC Coach telling McCarty to take control or if McCarty is just selfish?
twentythree Wrote:Also -- does anyone know whether or not it's the JC Coach telling McCarty to take control or if McCarty is just selfish?

Just judging Starns' body language I think he tells him to take it to the rim more and not settle for the 3, which he likes to do. Thats just what I am seeing watching Starns. Also, I have heard myself from the pep section the Asst. Coaches telling Starns to take him out of the game that he just won't listen but he never takes there advice. I though they were there to help.
Congrats Paintsville
eaglehoops Wrote:Just judging Starns' body language I think he tells him to take it to the rim more and not settle for the 3, which he likes to do. Thats just what I am seeing watching Starns. Also, I have heard myself from the pep section the Asst. Coaches telling Starns to take him out of the game that he just won't listen but he never takes there advice. I though they were there to help.
And that's a shame because JC has some very capable and knowledgable assistant coaches. However you are exactly right, Starns will not listen to the first word that any of his assistants suggest. I've seen him do some of the stupidest things known to man, with his assistants begging him to consider their advice, but to no avail. I think if you ask any assistant coach off the record, they will tell that it is no fun being an assistant coach at Johnson Central.