Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will be Mr Football in 2013?
birdman44 Wrote:doesn't Bowling Green return like everybody.... there's no mr football candidate ?

hop24 Wrote:I believe they return 17 starters. Fant should be in the mix.

Yeah, don't know why the KHSAA had him listed as a Senior last year but, he should definitely be in the running for Mr. Football! He had 1,335 receiving yards and 19 TDs last season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:Yeah, don't know why the KHSAA had him listed as a Senior last year but, he should definitely be in the running for Mr. Football! He had 1,335 receiving yards and 19 TDs last season.

Small in stature, but the heart of a lion. Like the class WKU is putting together.
How is Simon Kenton gonna be 10-0 with losses to NCC and Dixie?
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:He must have not missed anytime when he got injured because they have him listed as playing in all 15 games his senior season.

he played in every game.
the elder game (it was senior yr) to open the game he drove down the field with ease and capped it off with a 1 yd rushing td....he suffered a minor concussion and they sat him for the rest of the game. Donovan McCoy came in and took the birds the rest of the way.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:How is Simon Kenton gonna be 10-0 with losses to NCC and Dixie?

Don't think SK will go 10-0, but if NCC didn't beat them last year there definately not going to beat them this year. Like the Pioneers over Dixie too.
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:Yeah, that is another reason that I think Barker has to be the favorite. IMO, skill players already have an advantage over lineman because they're the ones in the spotlight with the ball in their hands.

They have the advantage because it is a beauty contest. Always has been, always will be. Game changers such as a qb, rb, and other skill positions may not be able to be near as impressive if not for the work of the big men. Not just that but it is a team of 11 fielding the gridiron not just Mr Football. Who ever it is won't do it by his self.
sstack Wrote:But you forgot to mention that Barker probably played almost twice the mins as Towles, Towles was lucky to play two quarters in a lot of games.

Probably not the case since HHS played more games.
mason Wrote:Probably not the case since HHS played more games.

HHS had a lot of blowouts where Towles didn't even play in the 2nd half.
Drew Barker easy
Maxpreps has named Matt Elam the preseason Mr. Football.
TheMan20 Wrote:Drew Barker easy

Reality check time when he faces Simon Kentons defense.
Does anyone know the last time a small class (3a or under) produced a mr. Football?
I'm not saying he would be ranked ahead of Elam or Barker, but Harlan County fullback/linebacker Carson Whitehead would be my pick as one of the finalists if there are any from eastern Kentucky.

Scott Russell won in 1991 from Evarts. I'm not sure if there have been any from small schools in recent years.
Dalton Sizemore gets my vote and any other mountain player go Williamsburg :Cheerlead
I would have to say if they go by talent, instead of school, It should be Sindalar from Caldwell Co. I have seen this kid throw 70yds on a dime. I have seen him run and he is like 6'4". He really has all the tools to be really special not only in High School but certainly d1 college ball and beyond.
Lots of candidates now. I'm going to see where they stand after half the season is over and look at there stats and S.O.S.
Preseason Mr. Football according to MaxPreps is Matt Elam, John Hardin (Elizabethtown), DL, 6-6, 350

One of the nation's top line recruits, Elam made headlines recently when he received 182 letters from the Kentucky coaching staff – all on the same day. He earned second team all-state honors as a junior.
mysonis55 Wrote:I would have to say if they go by talent, instead of school, It should be Sindalar from Caldwell Co. I have seen this kid throw 70yds on a dime. I have seen him run and he is like 6'4". He really has all the tools to be really special not only in High School but certainly d1 college ball and beyond.

You have to be a senior to be considered for Mr. Football and Elijah Sindelar will only be a junior this season but, I am sure he will be the hands down favorite to win Mr. Football next season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HDE Wrote:I'm not saying he would be ranked ahead of Elam or Barker, but Harlan County fullback/linebacker Carson Whitehead would be my pick as one of the finalists if there are any from eastern Kentucky.

Scott Russell won in 1991 from Evarts. I'm not sure if there have been any from small schools in recent years.

What about Cole Wilson?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cole is extremely talented and is drawing some Division I attention. He had a big junior year and should be even better this season.
Carson has been a four-year starter though and is the best linebacker in eastern Kentucky and probably the best fullback. He'd be the best guard, too, if he still played there.
I guess the biggest difference is Carson has been a four-year star and has been extremely steady for a long, long time.
It's a good debate to have though if you're from Harlan County.
HDE Wrote:I'm not saying he would be ranked ahead of Elam or Barker, but Harlan County fullback/linebacker Carson Whitehead would be my pick as one of the finalists if there are any from eastern Kentucky.

Did Hancock County have one in 1999?
It will come down to Elam and Barker, the two most talented players in Kentucky.
It will be a NKY QB and his name is not Barker!
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:How is Simon Kenton gonna be 10-0 with losses to NCC and Dixie?

And Collins
Barker
HDE Wrote:Cole is extremely talented and is drawing some Division I attention. He had a big junior year and should be even better this season.
Carson has been a four-year starter though and is the best linebacker in eastern Kentucky and probably the best fullback. He'd be the best guard, too, if he still played there.
I guess the biggest difference is Carson has been a four-year star and has been extremely steady for a long, long time.
It's a good debate to have though if you're from Harlan County.

They don't really base it on longevity though. It's more about who had the more impressive senior season. Either way I would assume that Carson would probably see the ball more anyways because Harlan County has that run it down your throat offense. Be nice to see how Cole would perform in a more pass oriented offense.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Not really. Everyone has a history coming into the season. All the favorites are favorites because of what they did the past three years.
HDE Wrote:Not really. Everyone has a history coming into the season. All the favorites are favorites because of what they did the past three years.

Yeah, I realize that all the favorites started or saw major playing time in at least their Sophomore and Junior season. Just as an example though, if Matt Elam or Drew Barker were to get injured before the season started or in the beginning of the season, they're not going to win Mr. Football. Although this is probably far fetched, if a senior QB who had average numbers last year or maybe didn't see the field much because there was a senior QB in front of him were to go for 4,000 yds and 50 TDs this year because he has a good group of skill players around him, he would probably win it. I could be wrong though, just my opinion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yeah, that's possible. I don't remember it happening though. It seems like the winner is usually one of the preseason favorites.
It's hard to deny Matt Elam as the best player in Kentucky. The kid is massive, strong, and fast. He's big D1 material (obviously)